TWA772LR
Topic Author

How to work the EU ULCC's

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi everyone!

My friends and I were planning a trip to Buenos Aires and it looks like it's falling through. I have a week of vacation in February so I'm thinking of heading to Europe on my own. I'd love to fly in to a major European gateway, preferably one that has good Ryanair (or any other ULCC) service, and pretty much overnight in a hostel in a different country every night after about 5ish days of galavanting.

So my question is this, is there a way to work the EU ULCC systems? Can you even by tickets at the airport with them? I'd mostly be staying in a hostel, seeing a major attraction, trying some local ethnic meal/beer and going to a couple bars in each city as well as meaning to up the number of countries I've been to, so I'd like to get as many passport stamps as possible (does the Schengen area stamp passports on intra-Schengen flights or do I have to hop in and out of the zone every flight to get stamps?).

Flying to Europe from Denver isn't the problem, I work for a major US airline and my parents work for another so I'm just gonna nonrev that part. I'd prefer to have a guaranteed ticket while in Europe.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aesma

Re: How to work the EU ULCC's

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:46 pm

Ryanair and European gateway don't really go hand in hand, maybe Easyjet would be a better choice ? Or various airlines depending on where you end up.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

debonair

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:05 am

Buying tickets at the airport is not recommended, too expensive. Best to buy beforehand through the web.
AVOID the Schengen Area, no stamps! Try WizzAir, RyanAir or BlueAir for travel between UK and Romania/Eastern Europe, great value for money and lot of new stamps...

rutankrd

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:16 am

TWA772 your obvious point of entry simply must be London period stop. Fly in to Heathrow hop on a National Express coach and base yourself near Gatwick or even Stansted .Browse the Ryanair EasyJet and Norwegian websites or sample the delights of Wizz from Luton and a copious choice beckons across the Eu and EFTA regions ,
You won’t get many if any stamps stamps other than your entry point to the Schengen area through.

Amsterdam is also worthy of consideration as a point of entry .Plenty of EasyJet Transavia and Vueling options.

Or Barcelona perhaps just about every flexible fares operator flies from there.

Outside choice how about Manchester to add I bit of variety with Jet2 Flybe or Eurowings in addition to to usual suspects of EasyJet and Ryanair and almost every European legacy (Cepting Alitalia and LOT and the Balkan carriers)

VSMUT

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:17 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Can you even by tickets at the airport with them?

Not really. They cut away all airport staff and services, and what little is left will bring heavy surcharges with it. It's "easy" to buy through the websites though.

TWA772LR wrote:
so I'd like to get as many passport stamps as possible (does the Schengen area stamp passports on intra-Schengen flights or do I have to hop in and out of the zone every flight to get stamps?).

You are probably all out of luck here. The only place I recall getting checked regularly is in France, and they don't stamp. Most countries don't even have the booths any more. Intra-schengen is pretty much the same as taking a train or bus these days. 4 years of daily traveling in all of Europe has left me with 1 stamp.

TWA772LR wrote:
So my question is this, is there a way to work the EU ULCC systems?

Dude, the ULCCs work you, not the other way round :duck:

Seriously, decide where you want to go, then plan from there. If you really want to try something different and cheap, and with extensive ULCC service, I suggest Romania and Bulgaria. You will have the choice between Blue Air, Ryanair and Wizz Air.
Or just stay in one region and travel by train. If you aren't too ambitious, trains will easily match the ULCCs for both time and cost.

dangerhere

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:16 am

debonair wrote:
Buying tickets at the airport is not recommended, too expensive. Best to buy beforehand through the web.
AVOID the Schengen Area, no stamps! Try WizzAir, RyanAir or BlueAir for travel between UK and Romania/Eastern Europe, great value for money and lot of new stamps...

That doesn't leave much of Europe left. Ireland, UK, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and perhaps Serbia or Ukraine.

Personally, I wouldn't rule out flying into / out of Dublin as well (your airline ticket situation excepted) , US pre-clearance for the way back (I believe AMS also has this) and connected to everywhere in Europe, plus AL have through ticketing with several US airlines afaik. Also keep in mind Ryanair now fly from Frankfurt am Main (and several other 'proper' airports, such as Amsterdam) so unless you're a sadist there no need to fly into Heathrow and travel onwards to Stanstead or Gatwick. Also keep Brexit in mind on March 29th, a hard Brexit is the default option with 2 months and 2 days to go so that would be something to keep an eye on for sure.

Somewhere like Frankfurt or Amsterdam also gives you a more interesting range of onward flights and travel options should you decide to take a train / low cost Flixbus for a few days. Keep your eyes open for other LCCs aside from Ryanair and Easyjet, but my final advice, avoid Vueling!

dangerhere

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 am

Aesma wrote:
Ryanair and European gateway don't really go hand in hand, maybe Easyjet would be a better choice ? Or various airlines depending on where you end up.

Er maybe in 2003 but not 2019.. from the ten busiest airports in Europe, FR fly into seven of them:

FRA
MUC
AMS
MAD
BCN
LGW
FCO

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 am

Thanks for your responses!
debonair wrote:
Best to buy beforehand through the web

How far beforehand? This will most likely be a very seat-of-my-pants trip as far as planning is concerned.
debonair wrote:
Try WizzAir, RyanAir or BlueAir for travel between UK and Romania/Eastern Europe, great value for money and lot of new stamps...

I always forget about them, thanks for the reminder! Is it easy to get to the Baltics on them? I wouldn't mind spending a little extra to connect to an Air Baltic CSeries joy ride to further connect to a major gateway on my way out of Europe. And as far as Eastern Europe is concerned, I'll be researching places an American can visit without a visa or hastle; I have access to Timatic.
rutankrd wrote:
TWA772 your obvious point of entry simply must be London period stop

London does seem the best, but the easiest/quickest seem to be AMS and FRA for me, followed by BCN if we're talking about self-connecting in one day.
VSMUT wrote:
Seriously, decide where you want to go, then plan from there. If you really want to try something different and cheap, and with extensive ULCC service, I suggest Romania and Bulgaria. You will have the choice between Blue Air, Ryanair and Wizz Air.
Or just stay in one region and travel by train. If you aren't too ambitious, trains will easily match the ULCCs for both time and cost.

As stated, this will be a very do-it-as-I-go thing. But My one friend said he's going to be in London and Paris during my travel window and I have another friend in Prague, which places PRG near the top of my list. I've already been to London and Paris, and I'm hoping to get to London to see the Texans play the Jaguars this year so I'm ok not getting to London this time; but Paris would be cool to experience as an adult especially as my friend there spent 2 years there for college.
dangerhere wrote:
Also keep Brexit in mind on March 29th, a hard Brexit is the default option with 2 months and 2 days to go so that would be something to keep an eye on for sure.

I'll be long gone before then. :)

Where does Volotea usually deploy their 717s?
Would the LCC's of the big boys (Transavia, Eurowings, et al) and Norwegian be viable options also?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

dangerhere

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:24 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Would the LCC's of the big boys (Transavia, Eurowings, et al) and Norwegian be viable options also?

Absolutely. Take a look at Germania as well (it's technically not a LCC but has very reasonable prices and some interesting destinations, a very nice in-flight experience as well). The thing is many of the full service carriers are operating within Europe as if they were LCCs in all but name. I flew KLM to France a few months ago and easyjet back, and the latter offered a better experience (free Heineken on KLM aside), cleaner and more modern aircraft and then price of course. The same can be said of British Airways and Aer Lingus, some even swear Lufthansa!

Do you have any destination cities in mind already, or which parts of Europe interest you more than others?

dangerhere

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:46 am

How far beforehand? This will most likely be a very seat-of-my-pants trip as far as planning is concerned.

I would say as soon as you can, you can always buy some dirt cheap flights and just fly some of them closer to the time. It makes no sense to buy last minute and pay multiples of what you would pay now, particularly when you already know the period of travel.

I see you mention Prague, I'd be very inclined to mix up your trip with some train travel, particularly Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria and Hungary, You'll see far more and in many cases spend less time traveling than you might by flying, security ect.

I just had quick look on Ryanair from Frankfurt. Some very reasonable fares, 40 destinations at fares less than €20 per flight. Use the filter here and enjoy: https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/cheap-flights

Aesma

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:48 am

I'm not a stamp collector but maybe you can find someone to stamp your passport regardless of the need to do it ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dangerhere

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:58 am

Aesma wrote:
I'm not a stamp collector but maybe you can find someone to stamp your passport regardless of the need to do it ?

Intra Schengen, he/she is simply not going to see anyone to ask for a stamp because there is no border control (with the temporary exception of France), it's like flying from Denver to Las Vegas, nobody is going to be there in the first place to give you a stamp and there is no infrastructure. Flying between two Schengen countries, you walk off the plane and out of the terminal, regardless which nationality you are.

davidjohnson6

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:41 am

I hope you have a nice trip but please remember that Europe (particularly Eastern and Northern Europe) can be really quite cold in February. I write this having spent yesterday in Kharkiv on an ultra-cheap flight with Wizzair - despite the low price, walking around town as a tourist with snow and ice wasn't much fun to be honest

I live in London and doing day trips to visit a foreign country is great fun. However I found that while doing a round trip on Saturday is good fun, doing 2 round trips in a row (eg Saturday and Sunday) gets tiring very fast. If you wanted to do (for example) London, Barcelona and Rome then consider flying London-Barcelona-Rome and not London-Barcelona-London-Rome. Your body will thank you for the extra sleep big time if you are trying to do 5 cities in 5 days

debonair

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:04 am

TWA772LR wrote:
And as far as Eastern Europe is concerned, I'll be researching places an American can visit without a visa or hastle; I have access to Timatic.

Hi, you should book asap - keep in mind, that you are entitled for a full refund of tax and surcharges if you decide not to fly. So, only the real ticket price is lost. But beware, even this is regulated by law in Europe - e.g. Ryanair is NOT following the order! But on Eurowings, you will get the amount refunded within 7 business days.
Eastern Europe is absolutely not a problem for US citizen, it's getting complicated if you visit places like Belarus or Kaliningrad.
You might have also a look on the 5th freedom rides, like Hainan or Ethiopian Airlines within Europe!

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 am

TWA772LR wrote:
So my question is this, is there a way to work the EU ULCC systems? Can you even by tickets at the airport with them? I'd mostly be staying in a hostel, seeing a major attraction, trying some local ethnic meal/beer and going to a couple bars in each city as well as meaning to up the number of countries I've been to, so I'd like to get as many passport stamps as possible (does the Schengen area stamp passports on intra-Schengen flights or do I have to hop in and out of the zone every flight to get stamps?).

Don't buy your tickets at the airport! Even if this is possible (mostly not), buying them last-minute you pay the highest possible price and there's the risk of the plane being full. Given that most ULCC routes are operated at a low frequency (often once or twice weekly) you want to be sure to get on board. So book your tickets online and book them as far ahead as you can! Plan and book everything ahead, don't just go there and see where you end up. You'll end up spending far too much money.

Of course, you should minimize the amount of luggage you bring along. Don't check a suitcase! If there's one way to make a cheap trip expensive it's by hauling too much luggage with you. A small backpack that fits as hand luggage will do, and even for that you mostly have to pay extra.

One thing you absolutely need is a smartphone with all the apps on it of the airlines you'll be flying. Most ULCCs charge you extra if you check-in at the airport, but online check-in is free and can be done through their app. You can also use this app as a boarding card. Make sure you check-in on time, most likely it's available a few days before the flight. Specially on EasyJet, they overbook and if you're too late checking in you might get bumped.

To collect stamps in your passport there's an easy trick of leaving and re-entering the Schengen area. If you travel straight from Amsterdam to Barcelona that's a Schengen flight, so you don't get a Spanish stamp. But if you travel from Amsterdam to London and then from London to Barcelona, those are not Schengen flights. You have to clear immigration in Barcelona and you get a stamp.

VSMUT

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:36 am

Just curious, are you looking to try the various LCCs as an enthusiast, or do you just want cheap tickets?

Because in the case of the latter, you would be making a great mistake by limiting yourself to the LCCs. Remember, they are low cost airlines, not low fares. The likes of Ryanair and EasyJet rely extensively on their reputation for being the cheapest, and many make the mistake of never even checking the prices at the competitors. The "legacy" airlines like SAS, KLM, Air France, Austrian and Lufthansa regularly match or even undercut the low cost carriers. Even trains are competitive on schedule and cost in some parts. Between London and Paris, Eurostar is a no-brainer. Intra-Germany, the ICE likewise.

You also need to remember to check the full price on the ticket, which they only display when you reach the payment on the website. They are very liberal with adding charges and fees to your ticket.
You also need to factor in the cost of transport between whatever airport you are flying to and the city center.

TWA772LR wrote:
And as far as Eastern Europe is concerned, I'll be researching places an American can visit without a visa or hastle;

As long as you stay inside the EU, you don't need one.

TWA772LR wrote:

Southern Europe, Spain and Italy mostly. I think Torino is exclusively 717.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:43 am

dangerhere wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Er maybe in 2003 but not 2019.. from the ten busiest airports in Europe, FR fly into seven of them:

FRA
MUC
AMS
MAD
BCN
LGW
FCO

True, however still their presence at the smaller airports is often bigger than at the larger airports. For example Ryanair does fly to Amsterdam, but they only have two routes out of there. On the other hand they fly 42 routes out of Eindhoven, including the two destinations they also serve from Amsterdam. As a bonus, there's a bus service between Amsterdam city center and Eindhoven airport which is quite affordable and bookable through Ryanair. Sometimes it makes more sense to take the bus from Amsterdam to Eindhoven and then fly out of Eindhoven than to fly out of Amsterdam.

This is true for a lot of other cities as well. One site you should check-out is PlusAirportLine, they offer cheap connections between (secondary) airports and the cities. Services are operated by local contractors, so the service level may vary. However with such services secondary airports don't have to be too inconvenient.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 am

dangerhere wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Absolutely. Take a look at Germania as well (it's technically not a LCC but has very reasonable prices and some interesting destinations, a very nice in-flight experience as well). The thing is many of the full service carriers are operating within Europe as if they were LCCs in all but name. I flew KLM to France a few months ago and easyjet back, and the latter offered a better experience (free Heineken on KLM aside), cleaner and more modern aircraft and then price of course. The same can be said of British Airways and Aer Lingus, some even swear Lufthansa!

Do you have any destination cities in mind already, or which parts of Europe interest you more than others?

Be careful with Germania as they're in bad financial shape. They might be the next European airline to fold, even before Norwegian. Here's a news article (in Dutch):

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... geldzorgen

For now their operations continue, however they are looking for new investors.

I agree that on average the legacies match their prices to the ULCCs, however the difference is that the ULCCs got a bigger price differentiation. While the legacies got the same price every day this is not true for the ULCCs. They may be very cheap on one day and very expensive on another. Therefor, try to be flexible.

Most people first make a schedule of where they want to go and then find the cheapest flights to that schedule, but it doesn't always work that way with the ULCCs. You might have planned to travel from one city to another on one specific day, but what if they don't fly that route on that day or it just happens to be a very expensive day? In order to save money it's best to turn this around, instead of adapting your flights to your schedule you should adapt your schedule to your flights. There's always a flight available, no matter where to, that undercuts the others. And if there isn't on one day, the next day can look totally different with other destinations and other fares.

Less than a year ago I had a few days off at work. It came unplanned and at a rather short term and I felt like I just had to get out. I didn't really care where to, but I just wanted to get away. I looked for a cheap flight to just any destination those days and saw that there was a cheap flight available to Pisa, so that's where I went. I didn't go to Pisa because I had picked Pisa beforehand, I went there because I found a cheap flight and it just happened to go to Pisa. Everything else was more expensive, which is no surprise as it was on short term.

ChrisKen

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:27 am

TWA772LR wrote:
debonair wrote:

How far beforehand?

Months. Seat of your pants, days beforehand will more often than not, return high fares.

dangerhere

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:35 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
dangerhere wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Be careful with Germania as they're in bad financial shape. They might be the next European airline to fold, even before Norwegian. Here's a news article (in Dutch):

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... geldzorgen

For now their operations continue, however they are looking for new investors.

Thanks for this info, seem to be in big trouble the last few months alright. Will keep an eye on things now!

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:39 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
debonair wrote:

How far beforehand?

Months. Seat of your pants, days beforehand will more often than not, return high fares.

Best prices are found 2 to 3 months in advance, after that they go up. As you get closer to the date of flight, you see the prices rise. A seat that's € 20 two months before the flight might be € 200 two days before the flight.

Eindhoven

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:12 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Dumb idea. If you want good prices, plan ahead! Last minute fares are always expensive.

ExpatVet

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:40 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

I saw a bunch parked at VIE when I was transiting there a few weeks ago. Didn't realize that there were any operating in Europe until then.
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Eindhoven wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Dumb idea. If you want good prices, plan ahead! Last minute fares are always expensive.

Hoe expensive is expensive for the likes of the ULCC's?

FlyRow

Eindhoven wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Indeed, while Ryanair sounds cheap all the time, it's only a limited amount of 10-20€ tickets that are for sale. The closer you get to the date the higher the price gets, even so high thta mainline cariers can be cheaper.
Remember that it's a business-model and while Ryanair is cheap, it's not a charity.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:05 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Hoe expensive is expensive for the likes of the ULCC's?

For example if you want to fly Dublin - Athens next Wednesday (30 January) on Ryanair you currently pay € 289,67 one-way. If you fly the same route in over a month (6 March) you only pay € 41,61. But that fare won't stay that cheap, it'll go up the next following weeks.

MartijnNL

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:08 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I've already been to London and Paris, and I'm hoping to get to London to see the Texans play the Jaguars this year so I'm ok not getting to London this time; but Paris would be cool to experience as an adult especially as my friend there spent 2 years there for college.

The Texans and the Jaguars? Who in the world are they?

MartijnNL

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:17 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
For example if you want to fly Dublin - Athens next Wednesday (30 January) on Ryanair you currently pay € 289,67 one-way.

Air France currently asks € 138,62 for the same route (via Paris) and date.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:22 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I've already been to London and Paris, and I'm hoping to get to London to see the Texans play the Jaguars this year so I'm ok not getting to London this time; but Paris would be cool to experience as an adult especially as my friend there spent 2 years there for college.

American football teams.

Well it seems like a seat-of-my-pants galavanting around Europe isn't financially feasible, at least around Eastern Europe. A few days in Berlin would be cool though. I've always wanted to visit and I still have my friend in Prague and other friend in Paris.

But my new back up is to replicate that Steve Miller Song; Phoenix, Arizona, all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA, Northern California where the girls are warm... It'll be a lot more affordable because I work for WN :)

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:32 pm

MartijnNL wrote:

I had to look it up too as I had never heard of them either. It seems they're two American Football clubs, the Houston Texans and the Jacksonville Jaguars, who will be playing against each other in London.

To an American this may sound strange, but American Football isn't popular at all in Europe. The most popular sport in Europe by far is soccer, or football as we call it. American Football is called Rugby in Europe, but it's a sport of minor interest. The USA is one of the very few countries where soccer isn't the primary sport.

MartijnNL

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 pm

Thank you for the explanation, TWA772LR. And keep in mind what PatrickZ80 said about flying to Pisa. Keep your options open to get the best fares.

Last month I made a 100 EUR (115 USD) return trip from Amsterdam via Zurich to Palma de Mallorca. After securing this nice fare on legacy airline Swiss, I started to look around for day trips from Mallorca. I figured I might take a short flight to Barcelona or Madrid. Instead I discovered a 23 EUR (27 USD) return fare on easyJet to Berlin. Five hours in the air with fantastic views of the snow covered Alps!

On other days Ryanair offered 11 EUR and 7 EUR return fares to Berlin. A woman I spoke at the airport even paid 3 EUR return. They sure don't make money on these fares. But the less flexible you are, destination and time wise, the more money it will cost you.

MartijnNL

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:42 pm

And thank you PatrickZ80 for looking that up.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:07 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Well it seems like a seat-of-my-pants galavanting around Europe isn't financially feasible, at least around Eastern Europe. A few days in Berlin would be cool though. I've always wanted to visit and I still have my friend in Prague and other friend in Paris

Perhaps it is, but it takes some planning.

If you mention exactly when you'll have your vacation and what airline your parents work for (I assume you'll be flying their airline to Europe as Southwest doesn't fly across the pond) we might think along and come up with a feasible schedule. But as said before, you need to book your tickets as fast as you can before the price goes up. Same goes for hostels, book them in advance. You wouldn't be the first to find all hostels full and spend the night in a hotel that's far more expensive than you were willing to spend.

Of course I can't guarantee that you'll be visiting both Prague and Paris. I can try, but if it doesn't work out in the schedule then you'll have to let that pass.

FlyRow

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:21 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:

I had to look it up too as I had never heard of them either. It seems they're two American Football clubs, the Houston Texans and the Jacksonville Jaguars, who will be playing against each other in London.

To an American this may sound strange, but American Football isn't popular at all in Europe. The most popular sport in Europe by far is soccer, or football as we call it. American Football is called Rugby in Europe, but it's a sport of minor interest. The USA is one of the very few countries where soccer isn't the primary sport.

American Football is called American Football in Europe. Rugby is a very different game (including real contact, and continous play, but that's another discussion).

To TWA, why bother going to a game that isn't part of the culture which you can see at home, save the money and go to a Football Derby in Europe if you want to see a sport.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

FlyRow

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:24 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

American football teams.

Well it seems like a seat-of-my-pants galavanting around Europe isn't financially feasible, at least around Eastern Europe. A few days in Berlin would be cool though. I've always wanted to visit and I still have my friend in Prague and other friend in Paris.

But my new back up is to replicate that Steve Miller Song; Phoenix, Arizona, all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA, Northern California where the girls are warm... It'll be a lot more affordable because I work for WN :)

As a tip, look at prices for High Speed / Night Rail. It's something you might not consider as a american but it's a cheap, fast, comfortable way in Europe.
Especially if you are going from London to Paris, Paris to Amsterdam, intra-France, intra-Italy, Intra-germany or Intra Spain or travel in eastern/central europe. It can be a very cheap way and if you take the night train you save out a hostel night.

ConnectAir

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 am

dangerhere wrote:
debonair wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't rule out flying into / out of Dublin as well (your airline ticket situation excepted) , US pre-clearance for the way back (I believe AMS also has this) and connected to everywhere in Europe, plus AL have through ticketing with several US airlines afaik. !

Right now the only US Pre-clearance facilities in Europe are DUB and SNN. AMS is still under negotiations.
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD, AC, AA, OO, PT, QK

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, CRJ9, DH8D, E145, E190

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:15 am

FlyRow wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:

American Football is called American Football in Europe. Rugby is a very different game (including real contact, and continous play, but that's another discussion).

To TWA, why bother going to a game that isn't part of the culture which you can see at home, save the money and go to a Football Derby in Europe if you want to see a sport.

Why not? I think it'd be a cool experience to see my hometown team (Houston Texans, I grew up there) play overseas. Im not really in to soccer or rugby but I'd love to go to London since I was 12 the last time I was there and didnt really appreciate it as i would now as an adult, so I figure I'd kill 2 birds with one stone. And maybe even hit up Munich if Ocktoberfest is going on around that time (the NFL schedule for next season isnt out yet).

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 am

FlyRow wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:

American football teams.

As a tip, look at prices for High Speed / Night Rail. It's something you might not consider as a american but it's a cheap, fast, comfortable way in Europe.
Especially if you are going from London to Paris, Paris to Amsterdam, intra-France, intra-Italy, Intra-germany or Intra Spain or travel in eastern/central europe. It can be a very cheap way and if you take the night train you save out a hostel night.

Night rail is a fantastic idea! For this plans backup im researching red eyes on AA instead of finding a night in SEA to get to PHL. My backup to my Euro plan is to replicate the chorus from Rock'n Me Baby by Steve Miller Band. I assume night trains get pretty expensive as time gets closer to departure like airlines, correct?

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:26 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Well it seems like a seat-of-my-pants galavanting around Europe isn't financially feasible, at least around Eastern Europe. A few days in Berlin would be cool though. I've always wanted to visit and I still have my friend in Prague and other friend in Paris

Perhaps it is, but it takes some planning.

If you mention exactly when you'll have your vacation and what airline your parents work for (I assume you'll be flying their airline to Europe as Southwest doesn't fly across the pond) we might think along and come up with a feasible schedule. But as said before, you need to book your tickets as fast as you can before the price goes up. Same goes for hostels, book them in advance. You wouldn't be the first to find all hostels full and spend the night in a hotel that's far more expensive than you were willing to spend.

Of course I can't guarantee that you'll be visiting both Prague and Paris. I can try, but if it doesn't work out in the schedule then you'll have to let that pass.

My parents work for UA so getting to Europe isn't a big deal. My vacation schedule should be released tomorrow. I picked Presidents Day week (week of Feb 18) to have my vacation because that's what me and my friends originally chose for our EZE trip that fell through. As it stands, i have Monday-Friday off that week but they adjust it based on the days off you bid for the month, and since I have Fri/Sat off, I'm hoping for it to be adjusted to Sun-Thu.

dangerhere

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:37 am

TWA772LR wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
American football teams.

Night rail is a fantastic idea! For this plans backup im researching red eyes on AA instead of finding a night in SEA to get to PHL. My backup to my Euro plan is to replicate the chorus from Rock'n Me Baby by Steve Miller Band. I assume night trains get pretty expensive as time gets closer to departure like airlines, correct?

I would actually advise against night rail for intra European train travel. Many of the routes have been discontinued anyway and the ones that are running are often twice as slow as daytime train. It might be handy if you were travelling Paris - Warsaw but you would miss out on what's in between. Bear in mind that distances are nowhere like the US, you can do Berlin to Prague in about 3 hours. If I was you I'd choose a central location *hint FRA and travel from there in every which way. You also have Flixbus if you want to save a lot and you will never be a couple of hours from another country. As others have said, you need to decide what your plan is in advance. You can still travel cheaply within Europe but prepared to be flexible. You might end up flying to Faro for €5 rather than Budapest.

FlyRow

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:44 pm

dangerhere wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
FlyRow wrote:

I would actually advise against night rail for intra European train travel. Many of the routes have been discontinued anyway and the ones that are running are often twice as slow as daytime train. It might be handy if you were travelling Paris - Warsaw but you would miss out on what's in between. Bear in mind that distances are nowhere like the US, you can do Berlin to Prague in about 3 hours. If I was you I'd choose a central location *hint FRA and travel from there in every which way. You also have Flixbus if you want to save a lot and you will never be a couple of hours from another country. As others have said, you need to decide what your plan is in advance. You can still travel cheaply within Europe but prepared to be flexible. You might end up flying to Faro for €5 rather than Budapest.

The slower travel doesn't matter if it's a night, when you would sleep anyway.
it's not always a good route, but especially in central europe or OBB/Nightjet services the standard and convenience is very high and prices are low, especially in winter.

As for TWA, it's indeed on a airline style ticket pricing, however the max. ticket price is way lower (usually capped) so it might work out especially if you discount the hostel price from the total.

dangerhere

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:18 pm

FlyRow wrote:
dangerhere wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

The slower travel doesn't matter if it's a night, when you would sleep anyway.
it's not always a good route, but especially in central europe or OBB/Nightjet services the standard and convenience is very high and prices are low, especially in winter.

As for TWA, it's indeed on a airline style ticket pricing, however the max. ticket price is way lower (usually capped) so it might work out especially if you discount the hostel price from the total.

OBB/Nightjet is a good shout actually, depending on the OPs plans. I just mean for example the night train between Amsterdam / Cologne towards Moscow via Berlin and Warsaw. Spending 2-3 hours loudly shunting around a rail yard in Hildesheim is no fun (yes I experienced that and once was enough).

The OP seems to be ruling out southern europe, much of western Europe and Scandanavia. I would look at flying from wherever you arrive from the US into somewhere like Budapest and then travelling up towards Berlin. Along the way you have: Budapest, Vienna, Bratislava, Brno, Prague, Dresden and Berlin all within easy reach of each other, not to mention places of the beaten track that are not cities per se. From Berlin you could then decide for Cologne / Amsterdam / Brussels / Paris direction or Warsaw and the Baltics. Perhaps a flight from Berlin to Riga or Tallinn and then a flight from Berlin to Barcelona / Lisbon?

PatrickZ80

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:41 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
My parents work for UA so getting to Europe isn't a big deal. My vacation schedule should be released tomorrow. I picked Presidents Day week (week of Feb 18) to have my vacation because that's what me and my friends originally chose for our EZE trip that fell through. As it stands, i have Monday-Friday off that week but they adjust it based on the days off you bid for the month, and since I have Fri/Sat off, I'm hoping for it to be adjusted to Sun-Thu.

How does this sound:

On Sunday 17 February you fly Denver - Newark - Barcelona on United (UA513 + UA120). Newark - Barcelona is a red-eyes flight, so you arrive in Barcelona on Monday 18 February. It's an early morning arrival in Barcelona (9 am), so this leaves you plenty of time to see Barcelona.

Tuesday 19 February you fly Ryanair FR2918 Barcelona - Brussels Zaventem which costs € 14,99 plus € 6 for large hand luggage. This flight leaves Barcelona at 6:20 am, so you have to get up early. However you arrive at Brussels at 8:30 am so you got a whole day to see Brussels. However in the evening you have to take the bus (bookable at Flibco.com, bus leaves every 20 to 30 minutes and costs € 14,20) to Brussels Charleroi airport as you fly Wizzair W6 2284 Charleroi - Budapest which costs € 9,99 plus € 9 for large hand luggage. This flight departs Charleroi at 21:35 pm and arrives in Budapest at 23:30.

Wednesday 20 February you got the whole day in Budapest, however at 18:40 pm you got to be at the central train station for a train ride to Vienna. The EuroCity departs Budapest at 18:40 and arrives in Vienna at 21:18. If you book at Bahn.de this trip costs € 19.

Thursday 21 February you got the whole day to discover Vienna, however at 17:55 pm you have to be at the airport as you fly LaudaMotion OE312 which arrives at Rome Fiumicino at 19:35 pm. This flight costs € 12,99 plus € 6 for large hand luggage.

Friday you get to explore Rome, which will be the last city to visit. Friday evening for the final you fly Ryanair FR6986 taking you from Rome Fiumicino to Barcelona, where you started your trip in Europe. This flight leaves at 19:00 pm, arrives at 20:50 pm and costs € 29,57 plus € 6 for large hand luggage.

Saturday morning you're leaving Barcelona again at flight UA121 to Newark, connecting to flight UA2041 to Denver. Again you fly the 767-400 and the 737-900. At 18:06 pm saturday afternoon you're home.

The total of flights, bus and train rides mentioned here is € 127,74. Of course there's a lot of additional costs, like hostels, food and public transport for getting around.

This was just a random round through Europe picking cheap fares. Keep in mind these are the fares as they are today, but they're subject to change. I didn't pick any location beforehand, I just looked to see where the cheap flights went.

ExpatVet

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:54 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Wednesday 20 February you got the whole day in Budapest, however at 18:40 pm you got to be at the central train station for a train ride to Vienna. The EuroCity departs Budapest at 18:40 and arrives in Vienna at 21:18. If you book at Bahn.de this trip costs € 19.

Just a note, Budapest has 3 central rail stations, you will want the Eastern (Keleti) for the Vienna train.
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

SCQ83

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:45 pm

If you are short on money (I read hostel), Eastern Europe is the most sensitive option cost-wise. The main issue might be weather.

February is low-season so you will be able to get competitive Ryanair or Wizz Air air fares from any Western European gateway (specially mid-week). Routes like London to Budapest are certainly multiple daily ULCC flights.

In addition to the FR/W6 gateways mentioned above, CRL (Brussels-Charleroi) in Belgium and BGY (Milan-Bergamo) in Italy have tons of ULCC routes.

Another more exotic option might be Morocco. February tends to be very cheap when flying Europe-Morocco, weather is very pleasant, low-season (e.g. cheap hotels) and the country itself is quite affordable. For Morocco, in addition to Ryanair which has many routes to Europe, I would also check Condor (from Germany) and TUI (from Belgium). Sometimes you can get surprisingly low fares.

alric8

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm a bit late to this one, but I can give a lot of advice.

Getting cheap fairs in Europe is easy. Book as far in advance as you possibly can, and try and go during the off-season. The outrageously cheap flights tend to be at 5am midweek on a Tuesday in February. Particularly with Ryanair, the optional extras tend to be the expensive bit. You will often find you spend more on luggage and seats than the actual fare. And don't even get me started on the costs of getting to the airports in the first place. Off-peak, legacy airlines will often offer very cheap fares too, but with no extra associated costs, and airports closer to the

Also don't forget in Europe everywhere is linked with everywhere by train. Train fairs can be cheap (not in Switzerland, but don't visit Switzerland) but the way they work is exactly the same as ULCCs. Book ASAP and not during peak time. Just because they are trains does not mean you can turn up at the station and buy a cheap fare. Admittedly though, you do not have to pay for optional extras. It is also a far, far nicer way to travel; you get to enjoy the scenery and you get more space. Furthermore you depart from the centre of each city and don't have to arrive at the station 2 hours before the flight. Overnight trains are fantastic because they are extremely time effective and you do not have to spend money on a night in a hostel.

Honestly, I'd recommend you spend the week in Eastern Europe. It is cheaper, interesting, and underrated. The weather will not be great but it should not be worse than much of Western Europe. There are many brilliant cities in Western Europe (namely Berlin and London among many, many others) but they are better for a longer, less last minute Holiday.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:58 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I would also check Condor (from Germany) and TUI (from Belgium). Sometimes you can get surprisingly low fares.

TUI is not just Belgium. Belgium is just one of the countries that has a TUI airline, but not the only one. Also the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and the UK have a TUI airline.

Same with Condor, although in other countries it's called Thomas Cook but it's basically the same. They got airlines in Germany, Denmark, Spain and the UK.

alric8 wrote:
And don't even get me started on the costs of getting to the airports in the first place. Off-peak, legacy airlines will often offer very cheap fares too, but with no extra associated costs, and airports closer to the

Nowadays Ryanair also flies from lots of the major airports (same as the legacies), but even the secondary airports don't always have to be a problem. Often there is a cheap shuttle bus service available between the city and the airport. Just like with everything else, for these busses it's also adviced to book as soon as you can as the price will go up the nearer you get to the travel date. Fares out of the secondary airports are often lower than out of the primary airports and mostly you got more choice out of the secondary airports. Along with a cheap bus ride it might make sense to fly from a secondary airport instead of the primary one, so it's worth checking this out.

Of course there's also EasyJet. The difference between EasyJet and Ryanair / Wizzair is that EasyJet has always focussed on the primary airports. However EasyJet is rarely the very cheapest, compared to Ryanair / Wizzair they're a little more expensive.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 am

Update: A combo Berlin/MUC trip is the font runner. Hostels, confirmed Easyjet, and myID on LH nonstop MUC-DEN is doable at just under $300, cheaper of I choose to take UA but I'm treating myself.

The weird part is the LH flight on Feb 22 doesn't show on their website or Google Flights, but does on myID. Can anyone chicken that it's still on for that date?

L410Turbolet

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:21 pm

I find this a quite useful tool for searching LCC flights: http://www.azair.cz/?lang=en
It allows you to search multiple destinations or a whole region at once.
E.g. CPH to VIE and BTS
CPH to Southern England
CPH to XXX (anywhere)
Denmark to Sicily
and many other combinations

PatrickZ80

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:19 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
I find this a quite useful tool for searching LCC flights: http://www.azair.cz/?lang=en
It allows you to search multiple destinations or a whole region at once.
E.g. CPH to VIE and BTS
CPH to Southern England
CPH to XXX (anywhere)
Denmark to Sicily
and many other combinations

I personally use SkyScanner for that. They also got an option to search for flights to "anywhere". Also it's possible to include "airports in the region" in the search.