I have a week of vacation in February so I'm thinking of heading to Europe on my own. I'd love to fly in to a major European gateway, preferably one that has good Ryanair (or any other ULCC) service, and pretty much overnight in a hostel in a different country every night after about 5ish days of galavanting.
So my question is this, is there a way to work the EU ULCC systems? Can you even by tickets at the airport with them? I'd mostly be staying in a hostel, seeing a major attraction, trying some local ethnic meal/beer and going to a couple bars in each city as well as meaning to up the number of countries I've been to, so I'd like to get as many passport stamps as possible
Update: A combo Berlin/MUC trip is the font runner. Hostels, confirmed Easyjet, and myID on LH nonstop MUC-DEN is doable at just under $300, cheaper of I choose to take UA but I'm treating myself.
The weird part is the LH flight on Feb 22 doesn't show on their website or Google Flights, but does on myID. Can anyone chicken (
) that it's still on for that date?
This thread has been an absolute hoot.
80% of the replies contain some reasonably good information, and the other 20% are just so funny.
And TBH you're not helping matters either, but I'll add my two cents anyway.
I'm not sure what exactly you have covered in your $300 above, but it is now sounding like a two-city break, with the following flights;
DEN-MUC; MUC-TXL, TXL-MUC, MUC-DEN
Plus some hostel accommodation for an unspecified number of nights, possibly 3 nts in Munich, plus 3 nights in Berlin?
What worries me is that this represents a major change compared to your OP.
But maybe that is a good thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_It%27s ... Be_Belgium
I have just looked at LH's website, and I can see LH481 DEN-MUC 16:20 - 09:50 on Feb 22nd (A359)
And if you want to come home 7 days later, on LH480, the total cost (for an ordinary mensch
such as myself) would be... $1756.98
Seats are still available on both flights, and I understand you can work some magic to cut that cost down to size.
Is that the confirmation you were looking for?
There is another aspect that I believe nobody has mentioned; I have found many airlines web-sites are designed to extract the most $ out of you, depending on your IP address.
(and possibly what cookies are hidden on your hard drive). Hence three different people on this forum might each look up the same destination on Expedia, and arrive at three different prices for three different airlines (I'm not talking about currency conversion here). My own computer seems to think I want to fly everywhere
on KLM, regardless of price
Whilst I would agree that booking months ahead is typically the best option for cheap fares, if you can be flexible, and don't actually care if you spend tomorrow night in Paris or Pisa, cheap flights are often still available at short notice i.e. 24-48 hrs.
e.g. as I write this, Ryanair will take you from Frankfurt FRA to Dublin DUB just two days from now
, and back again 48 hrs later, for the combined sum of €35.98
The cheaper flights are most probably either very
early in the morning, or late into a cold dark wintery evening.
On the plus side, I've even reserved a window seat for you each way (27F, behind the wing), but I didn't go totally mad and add any luggage allowance; as that could have easily doubled the price.
I would echo the warning from several others; be prepared for an unpleasantly cold climate in February at these northern latitudes.
This might be the answer as to why even flights at short notice are cheap.
If you want to be able to stroll around comfortably in February, you should be considering southern Europe; e.g. Barcelona, Italy, or possibly Greece.
I would also be wary of looking to save a handful of $$ on ULCC flights, whilst quietly spending $$$$ on accommodation, meals and transport. And beer!
At the end of the day, I have no idea what your real priorities are. It's even possible you're not entirely sure yourself.