CLTDAL
Topic Author

Perhaps United is waiting on a new livery because they might change their name?? Thoughts....

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:07 am

Considering after the merger with Continental, United kept the "Globe" and just painted a "UNITED" on the fuselage. Im wondering if that was a temporary fix to a long term strategy to eventually re-name the airline?? I remember "Unicon" was being whispered around and now with the new colors in their uniforms, Im wondering what will happen? Possible name change to United States Airways? United Airways? USA Airways?

superjeff

Re: Perhaps United is waiting on a new livery because they might change their name?? Thoughts....

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:14 am

United is one of the oldest of the U.S. legacies. Started by Boeing as Boeing Air Transport back in the 1920's. Continental likewise dates back that far. There's no need to change the name. The Continental livery was apparently closed at thet merger because it was supposedly a merger of equals (IIRC, Continental was slightly larger than United at the time). I don't see a name change, but I could see a new livery in the normal course of events.

Boof02671

Re: Perhaps United is waiting on a new livery because they might change their name?? Thoughts....

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:14 am

Um no

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:29 am

CLTDAL wrote:
Considering after the merger with Continental, United kept the "Globe" and just painted a "UNITED" on the fuselage. Im wondering if that was a temporary fix to a long term strategy to eventually re-name the airline?? I remember "Unicon" was being whispered around and now with the new colors in their uniforms, Im wondering what will happen? Possible name change to United States Airways? United Airways? USA Airways?

Not happening. United (as in the new one we have now) chose to go with UA as name for a reason. It was known painfully well that Continental had much better reputation with customers, both domestic and abroad than did United, among regular travelers. And most not so regular ones.

But that couldn't stand up to the fire power that the shear size of United's brand name recognition brought.

And that was a tough pill for the CO guys and gals (and customers) to pack in, but eventually, it will have been for the best, as the UA name really is a much more global brand (Fully irony given the CO logo noted, of course, ;) ).

Assuming there was a need for a change, no they wouldn't go for anything like USA, etc. They're a a global brand that needs to be as apolitical as possible. It's also worth noting that the 'United' in the name (even going back to the 1920s) is not in reference to the USA, but to the four original companies it was made from.

A new livery is likely in the next decade, however. While the Globe has aged well, it's not particularly outstanding, and when UA gets the rest of their mice in a row, it will probably on their hit-parade.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

chrisnh

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 am

United will change its name as soon as Kleenex does.

CairnterriAIR

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:54 am

A company that has been around for 8 or so decades that has worldwide reach has brand recognition to the point of being iconic. Changing the name would be a step backwards. Imagine if Cocoa Cola changed their name....

smallmj

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Divided Airlines? Changed to reflect the US political climate?

jumbojet

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:05 pm

wouldn't be a bad idea. How about Continental Airlines! No matter how hard they try, the United brand will always be associated with certain very negative elements of the recent past. It cant be helped. And thats not at all meant in a derogatory way, because they have made huge inroads into becoming a better customer service oriented airline. However, you still see references today in social media about certain very bad incidents that have happened in the not so distant past. The only real way to eliminate that stigma is to adopt a new name.

I can virtually guarantee you that if they switch to Continental, they 'will' close that revenue gap with Delta. Heck, that would get me to start flying the Chicago based airline again..

acjbbj

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Um no

Oh, please. Stop with this nonsense!
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.

zakuivcustom

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm

jumbojet wrote:
I can virtually guarantee you that if they switch to Continental, they 'will' close that revenue gap with Delta. Heck, that would get me to start flying the Chicago based airline again..

Chicago Base? You mean switching to Continental and then move their HQ back to Houston? :duck:

More on topic, though, why in the world would UA change their name anyway? The name "United" is much more well known one way or another. Just bring back the Tulip and call it a day.

compensateme

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 pm

Most likely, they’re buying the Pan Am name from that crappy train company - but keeping the legacy CO globe. Wouldn’t it be cool to see the modern PA livery — Eurowhite with billboard lettering and the classic CO globe!
We don’t care what your next flight is.

tpaewr

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:17 pm

This week in Chicago moving the HQ to anywhere else seems much more pressing than a name change! Lol

But Houston does have amazing food, j/s.

bob75013

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 pm

The value of the "United" brand is estimated at over $7 BILLION dollars. There is zero chance in hell they'd throw that away.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/275 ... -airlines/

UALFAson

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:44 pm

jumbojet wrote:

How did I know you would be on this thread bashing some airline that isn't DL?!

You've written some pretty asinine stuff on this web site before, but this really takes the cake. Why in the world would they do this?! Rebranding to Continental would just piss off all the former loyal United frequent flyers like me who didn't want this merger in the first place.

They won't rebrand to Continental for the same reason they won't reintroduce the Tulip logo: resurrecting branding from the past just stirs up angry feelings on both sides. The whole United name/CO logo was meant to throw a bone to everyone and instead it pleased almost no one. Moving forward, the idea has to be to create something new from scratch signaling that we're (they're) all one team. I think that's what they're attempting to do with the introduction of these shades of amethyst, teal, and light blue in seats and uniforms. We'll see if that winds up extending to a new livery.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

FlyRow

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:54 pm

It has been one day since a UA livery thread... or a "should they have kept the old united livery", will UA be renamed Continental again... like these "new and different threads" are a niche of a niche of a niche of niche question asked 100times before.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

FlyHossD

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:27 pm

IIRC, United kept the CO livery because it was cheapest to do so - EVERYTHING about Smisek was about cost. All of the CO aircraft were in the current livery, whereas UA had aircraft in both the old (and usually very faded) blue and grey livery from the Steve Wolfe era and the newer tri-blue and white livery*. It simply would have cost more to paint all of the CO aircraft and (roughly) half of the UA fleet than to keep the CO scheme.

But a new livery is in the offing according to my old compatriots still at UCH, but the first proposals were all rejected according to one source. The recently announced new uniforms give a hint as to the color palette - teal, blue, plum and silver - are likely to be featured.

In any case, the current paint scheme is now quite old and it seems to be time for an update.

*IMHO, the blue and grey UA livery only looked good when it was shiny and new, but it faded quickly and UA wasn't able under Tilton to keep the scheme fresh. I thought the later tri-blue and white was much better.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

KentB27

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:24 am

There's no way United is changing its name. They're one of the largest airlines in the entire world. They have way too much brand awareness among the general public to change their name. Even with the bad publicity they've gotten in recent years, I think changing their name would wreck their brand awareness and be far more detrimental to United than beneficial to them. You'd be hard pressed to find an American adult who isn't aware of the existence of United Airlines. Why would United screw that up by changing their name?

AtomicGarden

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 am

jumbojet wrote:
wouldn't be a bad idea. How about Continental Airlines! No matter how hard they try, the United brand will always be associated with certain very negative elements of the recent past. It cant be helped. And thats not at all meant in a derogatory way, because they have made huge inroads into becoming a better customer service oriented airline. However, you still see references today in social media about certain very bad incidents that have happened in the not so distant past. The only real way to eliminate that stigma is to adopt a new name.

I have more confidence in UA becoming the no. 1 in customer service rather than a new-old airline with the same old smell tryin to fool us all. There's a saying in Spanish, "even if the monkey dresses in silk, she's still a monkey"
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Super80Fan

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:16 am

Name change - Not happening, ever.

Livery change - Absolutely and it can't come soon enough. Death to the Death Star.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Airstud

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 am

superjeff wrote:
United is one of the oldest of the U.S. legacies. Started by Boeing as Boeing Air Transport back in the 1920's. Continental likewise dates back that far.

I believe Continental actually only dates to the 1930's, when it was Varney Speed Lines.

KentB27 wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to find an American adult who isn't aware of the existence of United Airlines. Why would United screw that up by changing their name?

You're not actually suggesting that any of those American adults haven't heard of Continental?
Pancakes are delicious.

N649DL

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:14 am

Another bot thread to stir controversy about the UA / CO merger (and infer that all of their problems wouldn't have happened if they were still CO.) = "United Derangement Syndrome".

Based on the new uniforms, I doubt you'll see any CO branding if they launch a new livery. This should've happened 9 years ago instead but hopefully it comes soon.

jumbojet wrote:

Impossible. CO was on the verge of their 3rd bankruptcy around 2010 because they couldn't afford to pay back the dividends on debt for the hundreds of 737s they onboarded in the late 90s and Early 2000s. All of it was due in a very short term payback scale between 2011 and 2013. Nobody ever talks about it, but they were lucky with what they got. CO would've limped by and gone away like Pan Am did or TWA had they not merged with AA. It would've been a similar fate if US didn't merge with HP in 2005.

KentB27

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:03 am

Airstud wrote:
You're not actually suggesting that any of those American adults haven't heard of Continental?

What does that have to do with anything? Continental is gone and it's never coming back.

Airstud

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:54 am

KentB27 wrote:
Continental is gone and it's never coming back.

Gross.
Pancakes are delicious.

TWA772LR

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:04 pm

N649DL wrote:
Impossible. CO was on the verge of their 3rd bankruptcy around 2010 because they couldn't afford to pay back the dividends on debt for the hundreds of 737s they onboarded in the late 90s and Early 2000s. All of it was due in a very short term payback scale between 2011 and 2013. Nobody ever talks about it, but they were lucky with what they got. CO would've limped by and gone away like Pan Am did or TWA had they not merged with AA. It would've been a similar fate if US didn't merge with HP in 2005.

Cite your sources.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

LH748

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:23 pm

United dropping their name will happen the day that American Airlines is rebranding as Eastern West Virginia Airlines and moves its hubs to Pyongyang, Ulaan Batar and Novosibirsk.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

UA444

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:22 am

FlyHossD wrote:
IIRC, United kept the CO livery because it was cheapest to do so - EVERYTHING about Smisek was about cost. All of the CO aircraft were in the current livery, whereas UA had aircraft in both the old (and usually very faded) blue and grey livery from the Steve Wolfe era and the newer tri-blue and white livery*. It simply would have cost more to paint all of the CO aircraft and (roughly) half of the UA fleet than to keep the CO scheme.

But a new livery is in the offing according to my old compatriots still at UCH, but the first proposals were all rejected according to one source. The recently announced new uniforms give a hint as to the color palette - teal, blue, plum and silver - are likely to be featured.

In any case, the current paint scheme is now quite old and it seems to be time for an update.

*IMHO, the blue and grey UA livery only looked good when it was shiny and new, but it faded quickly and UA wasn't able under Tilton to keep the scheme fresh. I thought the later tri-blue and white was much better.

It would’ve been cheaper keeping the Tulip. It was already established as United (and it will always be United Airlines). Paint the remaining Battleships and paint the CO planes and new Tulip signs in EWR and IAH. Done. That is what should’ve happened. Especially since many CO planes got full repaints anyway. It was not cheaper one bit. Jeff didn’t keep the CO livery because of cost, he kept it out of arrogance and out of superiority complex. And the half-assed livery was a perfect Symbol for the disaster he was.

UA444

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:24 am

superjeff wrote:
United is one of the oldest of the U.S. legacies. Started by Boeing as Boeing Air Transport back in the 1920's. Continental likewise dates back that far. There's no need to change the name. The Continental livery was apparently closed at thet merger because it was supposedly a merger of equals (IIRC, Continental was slightly larger than United at the time). I don't see a name change, but I could see a new livery in the normal course of events.

United was larger. And far more established. Especially outside the US.

Delta777Jet

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 am

United was larger and far more established as a “bad” airline ! Yes ! Continental was known for being the better airline. I’m only sad ( from the customer perspective) that the merged airline didn’t take anything from the good stuff of Continental but so much bad stuff from United.

I miss Continental ! Back then the only US Airline for me !
B-717/722/737-200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/B-747-100/200/400/SP/8i/B-752/3/B-762/3/4/B-772/LR/300ER/B-787-8/-9/DC-10-10/30/L1011-1/500/MD81/82/83/90/A-319/320/321/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/TU154/IL18/ATR42/72/DH4/DH3/E145/E170/190/CR2/7/9

UA444

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:04 am

Delta777Jet wrote:
United was larger and far more established as a “bad” airline ! Yes ! Continental was known for being the better airline. I’m only sad ( from the customer perspective) that the merged airline didn’t take anything from the good stuff of Continental but so much bad stuff from United.

I miss Continental ! Back then the only US Airline for me !

. I was a CO hub captive for years. What you saw post merger was CO showing their true colors. They were living off a reputation for years before the merger. UA was making drastic improvements and was always the better airline. UA also had more premium passengers before the merger and high value clients were very loyal to United.

It was CO management, systems, practices, livery, everything that took over and it was just as bad as I knew it would be. Can’t get more CO than that. It was all what the a.netters said would be “so great” and yet it’s been a disaster and they continue to lag.

FlyHossD

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:51 pm

UA444 wrote:
It would’ve been cheaper keeping the Tulip. It was already established as United (and it will always be United Airlines). Paint the remaining Battleships and paint the CO planes and new Tulip signs in EWR and IAH. Done. That is what should’ve happened. Especially since many CO planes got full repaints anyway. It was not cheaper one bit. Jeff didn’t keep the CO livery because of cost, he kept it out of arrogance and out of superiority complex. And the half-assed livery was a perfect Symbol for the disaster he was.

Do the math. Really. It's clear that you haven't.

Smisek was obsessed with cost - rather like Lorenzo is that sense - and ALL of the CO aircraft were in the current (and now, quite old) scheme, while the UA fleet was in two schemes (I liked the last triple blue and white one) as Tilton had been unwilling or unable to put the pmUA aircraft on a normal paint schedule. To put all of the fleet (UA+CO) into the tri-blue scheme would have meant painting the rest of the UA fleet and ALL of the CO aircraft, something that simply didn't make sense to Smisek. Longer term, yes, all the planes get repainted eventually anyway, but recognizing that fact also raises the question of why Tilton hadn't been able to do so - why? The reality is that the shorter term was the focus - I recall some UA VPs stating that ROIs were to be realized (paid for) in 6 months, so considering a 4+ year repainting cycle was far too long (to justify).

I do agree that choosing Smisek to succeed Tilton was an utter disaster. And why hasn't he been charged?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

IAHFLYR

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:27 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
And why hasn't he been charged?

That is a great question? Put that POS (not Port of Spain) where he belongs.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:20 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Name change - Not happening, ever.

Livery change - Absolutely and it can't come soon enough. Death to the Death Star.

Agreed, and AGREED!

Enough with this "meh" of a logo. It served its time, but a rebrand is WAY overdue.

Something maybe with red, orange, and blue again?

hiflyer

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Apparently there is a MAX out of the factory with a just the rudder with a new design....rest of fuselage still bare. From what was shown looked like the blues and greens they have been touting as their new colors. And so far gold and red are both out....hearing ALPA not happy losing their gold stripes but going to silver like AA instead....will see if that makes it...lots and lots of pushback going on from the bottom....