mmx747
Topic Author

Will Brexit affect layovers at UK airports?

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 pm

For the past five years whenever I’ve traveled to the the US from where I live (CPH) I have always had a layover at LHR. So before booking my next flight(s) to the US I wanna know if the transfer process will take longer than usual after Brexit or not?

P.S. I’m not very good at politics so that’s why I’m asking. ThanX! :D

VSMUT

Re: Will Brexit affect layovers at UK airports?

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:28 pm

There is no deal yet, so we can't know. Assuming worst case, a total hard break (looking more and more likely), yes it would. You could end up needing a visa prior to leaving the airport, and the way several major UK airports are laid out, you sometimes can't connect without going groundside. This is the case in both Heathrow and Gatwick from time to time.

I for one wouldn't book anything via the UK until something is resolved regarding Brexit. Time to try KLM, Air France or Lufthansa...

IMHO, it should be relatively easy to put a temporary workable system into place with airside connections. Just run some airside busses between the terminals that aren't connected.

Wednesdayite

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:26 am

Actually, we do know.

Visa free travel to be maintained even if there’s no deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

FlyRow

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Let the Brits discover what they want first, then we will be able to see the carnage.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

vhtje

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Thesre is no deal yet, so we can't know. Assuming worst case, a total hard break (looking more and more likely), yes it would. You could end up needing a visa prior to leaving the airport, and the way several major UK airports are laid out, you sometimes can't connect without going groundside. This is the case in both Heathrow and Gatwick from time to time.

I for one wouldn't book anything via the UK until something is resolved regarding Brexit. Time to try KLM, Air France or Lufthansa...

IMHO, it should be relatively easy to put a temporary workable system into place with airside connections. Just run some airside busses between the terminals that aren't connected.

Huh? There will be zero impact for connecting passengers using Flight Connections, since international arriving pax using Flight Connections do not ‘land’ themselves, i.e. go through this UK immigration - they land and depart remaining airside.

It is a different story if the passenger decides to include a stopover, of course, but that isn’t what the OP asked.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

ChrisKen

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:14 pm

vhtje wrote:
Huh? There will be zero impact for connecting passengers using Flight Connections, since international arriving pax using Flight Connections do not ‘land’ themselves, i.e. go through this UK immigration - they land and depart remaining airside.

It is a different story if the passenger decides to include a stopover, of course, but that isn’t what the OP asked.

Already said this but you weren't to know as my previous replies have been deleted. Why on earth they were is known only to the mods. I'm getting sick of not being informed as to why perfectly decent posts are being removed.. As my replies contained nothing 'deletable' under a/net rules, I therefore have to assume (no doubt unjustly) that VSMUT replied to the ongoing conversation with something untoward (blame the mods VSMUT).

For the record, the major UK airports don't require a transiting passenger to enter the UK. The passenger will remain sterile in the airside areas of the airport.
LHR and LGW especially so, just follow the purple 'Flight Connections' signs/lanes. Security will have to be re-cleared as this is a mandatory requirement, regardless point of origin,.

For VSMUT, who was insisting he has to enter the UK and go landside for a connecting international->international transit flight.
You only have to do this when transiting if you are doing something funky, eg. separate tickets for inbound and outbound connecting flights or on an airline that does not interline/through check baggage, eg Norwegian.
If neither of these apply follow the purple flight connections signs/arrows/lanes. If you're not sure what you're supposed to be doing, follow them too. It's what they are there for, you'll get quickly filtered through the right channels (with a spot of queue jumping if the connection is tight).

LGW https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-a ... nnections/
LHR https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections/at-a-glance