dredgy
Topic Author

Ethiopian to Comoros frequency?

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:46 am

I'm booked on flight ET 824 on September 7th from HAH to ADD.

I can't find much information on the flight, the ticket says it's non-stop on a 787 but no flight history really corroborates that. Flight history shows that it last operated between Comoros and Ethiopia non-stop on January 19th. Google schedule says non-stop flights only happen on Tuesdays.

What's the schedule? Does my flight get routed through Dar Es Salaam? Is it usually on a 787 (I originally thought it was a 737-8Max).

Thanks all

zakuivcustom

Re: Ethiopian to Comoros frequency?

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:41 pm

Some historical change on the route:
2018:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... s%20moroni

And 2017:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... s%20moroni (2017)

Seems to me every summer (June-September 30) ET operates ADD-HAH non-stop 3 times per week, and it would be on a 788.

Of course, this is ET you're talking about here, and they change schedule/plane type all the time.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

LGAviation

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:43 pm

I flew them last year and our booking changed a couple of times (we were initially booked ADD-HAH-ADD on 788 and 738 and in the end flew ADD-DAR-HAH-DAR-ADD on 763 which provided for extremely scenic views. September looks way too early for Ethiopian to make a definitive statement on how you're going to fly there (in 2012, I once got a surprise JRO stop on a ADD-ZNZ flight which was supposed to go via DAR on the day). That being said, ET is reliable and flies you to Comoros. Unlike with major destinations like JNB, FRA, LHR or CDG, be prepared for extra stops and equipment changes.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

dredgy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm

LGAviation wrote:
I flew them last year and our booking changed a couple of times (we were initially booked ADD-HAH-ADD on 788 and 738 and in the end flew ADD-DAR-HAH-DAR-ADD on 763 which provided for extremely scenic views. September looks way too early for Ethiopian to make a definitive statement on how you're going to fly there (in 2012, I once got a surprise JRO stop on a ADD-ZNZ flight which was supposed to go via DAR on the day). That being said, ET is reliable and flies you to Comoros. Unlike with major destinations like JNB, FRA, LHR or CDG, be prepared for extra stops and equipment changes.

Thank you! Good to hear from someone who’s flown the route. Also thank you zackuiv - I cant multiquote but I really appreciate the info.

I have a tight connection Addis (going onto Dubai) and am otherwise on a tight schedule but have specifically left time to be delayed for one day because I miss my connection to Dubai. The points redemption was so ridiculously cheap (HAH-ADD-DXB), and even more so if I get both the 787 and A350 - so should in theory be on all long haul business class product :) but if equipment swaps, I’ll live with it. Still my only way out of Comoros! If equipment doesn’t swap, I hope for a stop in Tanzania, more time to stretch out!

LGAviation

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 pm

dredgy wrote:
LGAviation wrote:

Thank you! Good to hear from someone who’s flown the route. Also thank you zackuiv - I cant multiquote but I really appreciate the info.

I have a tight connection Addis (going onto Dubai) and am otherwise on a tight schedule but have specifically left time to be delayed for one day because I miss my connection to Dubai. The points redemption was so ridiculously cheap (HAH-ADD-DXB), and even more so if I get both the 787 and A350 - so should in theory be on all long haul business class product :) but if equipment swaps, I’ll live with it. Still my only way out of Comoros! If equipment doesn’t swap, I hope for a stop in Tanzania, more time to stretch out!

You're welcome! Always love it when people go to those places! The Tanzania stop really also added value in that ET does not have fifth freedom rights and that there were probably thirty people or so on board for the final hop. I also had quite tight connections in Ethiopia before but usually they make it work somehow (it will be all remote stands though in all likelihood, if anything the Dubai plane might get a fixed gate) and regarding Comoros, I was staying at the Retaj in Comoros (where apparently the Arabic owners left shortly before our stay) and was fooled by a fake hotel airport transfer (definitely double check the guy waiting with your hotel sign at the airport knows your name because he charged us €40 instead of the agreed €20 and the hotel was playing along although they said he was fake). The airport otherwise provides for scenic approaches although flying an ET 767 in (a plane I love since that JRO stop) brought back memories. The departure hall though really has no amenities or views and I don't think my passport was ever checked as often as when leaving Comoros.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR