lightsaber

Re: JFK Finally has its own Hotel!

Wed May 15, 2019 12:35 pm

I like the pool and Connie. I hope the hotel does well.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

tsnamm

Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 pm

The back story for the Constellation is excellent....Lots of history.

Bricktop

Wed May 15, 2019 12:55 pm

I can't wait to visit. A few cocktails and planespotting at the Pool Bar sounds almost bucket-list worthy!

nycbjr

Wed May 15, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm looking forward to going out and having brunch or a cocktail, living in NYC should make that easy!

Love the flip book's on the site, pretty cool!

Moosefire

Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Can’t use or accrue my HHonors or Bonvoy points there... I’ll pass. Glad to see the old Ramada gone and something new nonetheless.
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

Revelation

Wed May 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Bricktop wrote:
I can't wait to visit. A few cocktails and planespotting at the Pool Bar sounds almost bucket-list worthy!

Me too. Am considering a decedent overnight trip on B6 from ORH just to take in the place.

Moosefire wrote:
Can’t use or accrue my HHonors or Bonvoy points there... I’ll pass. Glad to see the old Ramada gone and something new nonetheless.

Yes, despite your personal brand and loyalty preferences, it is nonetheless a nice improvement.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

william

Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Moosefire wrote:

Which Ramada? The one under the Canarsie approach?

Agree on the Bonvoy points issue. Is this an independent hotel?

United787

Wed May 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Great addition to JFK! Looking forward to seeing finished photos of the amenities...

jfklganyc

Wed May 15, 2019 2:20 pm

The Ramada was the one at the airport entrance.

I think it was falling down structurally… The minute they closed the hotel (years ago) They stared bracing it structurally

I’m sure that will be knocked down eventually

fcogafa

Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm

I bet the hotels attitude will quickly change once you get spotters up there with telescopes and cameras - they will be banned due to security....

spinotter

Wed May 15, 2019 3:09 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
One of the few US airports without a hotel, the TWA Hotel opens today!

A lot of money was poured into this project.

With over 500 rooms, an infinity cool, a Connie, and lots of lounges and restaurants on site, JFK joins other world airports in a spectacular way!

https://www.twahotel.com/

Cheesy web site.

fbgdavidson

Wed May 15, 2019 3:12 pm

My father-in-law worked for TWA and so the wife and I have booked the inlaws in for a one night stay in a runway view room at the end of the month as a surprise even though we live locally. We plan on exploring whilst dropping him off and I'll take some photos if nobody else has got there first.

fcogafa wrote:
I bet the hotels attitude will quickly change once you get spotters up there with telescopes and cameras - they will be banned due to security....

Quite a lot of places frown upon blatant photography around pools and that kind of thing, but the hotel have said they are expecting aviation geeks (would you expect anything else when you resurrect the TWA brand?). The Eater write up says that runway view rooms can be rented in 4hr slots specifically for "aviation lovers".
https://ny.eater.com/2019/5/15/18624543 ... servations
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

tjwgrr

Wed May 15, 2019 3:52 pm

For those considering a stay, keep in mind runway 13L / 31R is closed through November, the closest runway to the hotel. Not sure how good the viewing will be for the 4s & 22s.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

OzarkD9S

Wed May 15, 2019 4:42 pm

spinotter wrote:

Cheesy web site.

I think it goes quite nicely with the retro ambiance of the facility. Its supposed to be sorta cheesy. Looking forward to my visit there in October.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

global2

Wed May 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Cannot wait to go check it out! So glad this historic structure has been preserved so faithfully and is being re-purposed.

FlyHPN

Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Tried to get a room for a late arrival tomorrow night, but no luck.

jfklganyc

Wed May 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Why was this moved from Civil Av?

Come on moderators.

jfklganyc

Wed May 15, 2019 6:53 pm

One bad take away

The FIDs arent showing real info

A few years back, I was in the terminal for an event and every real time JFK flight was on the boards...it was awesome

For some reason they took a step backward here and have fake flights up there now

Super80Fan

Wed May 15, 2019 6:56 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
One bad take away

A few years back, I was in the terminal for an event and every real time JFK flight was on the boards...it was awesome

For some reason they took a step backward here and have fake flights up there now

Yes I remember touring there a few years ago and seeing the FIDs provide real info. Oh well still can't wait to stay there.

Are the tunnels open?
RIP McDonnell Douglas

jfklganyc

Wed May 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
One bad take away

Yes I remember touring there a few years ago and seeing the FIDs provide real info. Oh well still can't wait to stay there.

Are the tunnels open?

They sure are.

They connect to the buildings with the rooms and onward to T5.

The coolest part is the elevator at the end of the tunnel. The buttons are labeled:

“1960s TWA Hotel”

“Present Day JetBlue”

Nice humor and nice touch.

I would post photos...but this site is just to hard to do it.

vatveng

Thu May 16, 2019 12:05 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
spinotter wrote:

Cheesy web site.

I think it goes quite nicely with the retro ambiance of the facility. Its supposed to be sorta cheesy. Looking forward to my visit there in October.

I think it's really well done. There's lots of info and not links to nowhere or to information copied and pasted from Wikipedia. It tells the story of the building and the Connie. And it does it without all the obnoxious Flash animations and popups.

cpl22586

Thu May 16, 2019 2:39 am

jfklganyc wrote:
The Ramada was the one at the airport entrance.

I think it was falling down structurally… The minute they closed the hotel (years ago) They stared bracing it structurally

I’m sure that will be knocked down eventually

There were rumors that jetblue wanted to move their headquarters and SOC to the old Ramada. lol

cpl22586

Thu May 16, 2019 2:41 am

jfklganyc wrote:
One bad take away

I agree that would be awesome if the they were able to have real flights up there. I remember going on a tour with a PA duty manager a few years ago and I remember the board had actual flights.

OzarkD9S

Thu May 16, 2019 10:25 am

cpl22586 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

One bad take away

I agree that would be awesome if the they were able to have real flights up there. I remember going on a tour with a PA duty manager a few years ago and I remember the board had actual flights.

Actually, I think it might be cooler if they had actual TWA flight times and flight numbers from the past. Take some old timetables and on any given day have the former schedule from a random year for that day. Say on June 1, 2019 have the FIDS for June 1, 1967 or whatever. Might as well go full retro.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

jfklganyc

Thu May 16, 2019 11:10 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
cpl22586 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

One bad take away

Actually, I think it might be cooler if they had actual TWA flight times and flight numbers from the past. Take some old timetables and on any given day have the former schedule from a random year for that day. Say on June 1, 2019 have the FIDS for June 1, 1967 or whatever. Might as well go full retro.

That is kind of what they have

Looks like all airlines that served JFK.

For instance, they had a national airlines flight to Sarasota.

The flights do change

spinotter

Thu May 16, 2019 2:42 pm

vatveng wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
spinotter wrote:

Cheesy web site.

I think it's really well done. There's lots of info and not links to nowhere or to information copied and pasted from Wikipedia. It tells the story of the building and the Connie. And it does it without all the obnoxious Flash animations and popups.

Still cheesy in the extreme - reminds me of a lottery ticket website.

doulasc

Re: TWA Hotel @ JFK

Sat May 18, 2019 11:04 pm

I hear you have to have a reservation to go to the rooftop bar and pool,The connie bar.The sunken lounge or the paris cafe or you will be turned away.

jfklganyc

Sun May 19, 2019 5:46 pm

One of the reasons the terminal was never used beyond 2001 is it is too small. It simply can’t handle the crowds and needs of today’s operation

So I imagine all those common areas would get overwhelmed without reservations

727LOVER

Sun May 19, 2019 7:27 pm

"JFK is the sexiest airport in the world."

Love the reporter's response :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgKFdkZeYBg
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

airporthistory

Wed May 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi folks,

Here's a look back at the TWA Flight Center when it was a bustling airline terminal: https://www.airporthistory.org/twa-flight-center.html

Let me know what you think!

EBiafore99
Topic Author

Re: JFK TWA Terminal to turn into a hotel

Thu May 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Stayed at the hotel May 24th - 25th:

1. Connie Lounge - décor is awesome, but the drink menu is limited and the snack menu is very limited (2 items only)
2. Sunken Lounge - again, décor is awesome, but the food situation was dismal. By 8:30 p.m., they were out of 3 of the dozen or so food items listed on the menu
3. Rooms - absolutely awesome. Nothing to complain about
4. Lobby - somewhat a mess. My understanding is there is to be a food court area, but it was closed and in complete disarray when we were there

Overall observations - I will give some allowance that since the hotel just opened, there will be some service snafus as they "learn". In the Sunken Lounge, management was extremely apologetic about the food options running out and comped us a drink. However, with that said, I think the hotel opened a bit too early. Maybe a month later.

Also, I just seem to have this impression that the hotel is not generating the buzz as expected. I know management hypes up things, but the Connie was about 1/3 full when we had drinks and we had no problem getting into the Sunken Lounge without reservations. Jon George's restaurant was the only restaurant booked completely.

Give it a month or two and I think the stay will be fabulous.

blacksoviet

Thu May 30, 2019 7:14 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
varsity wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Actually, it was straining at the seams, although you are right the number of flights was reduced; I was flying them a lot those days, and there would be lines out the door during the busy periods; same at baggage claim. I always checked in with the skycaps, because for a few bucks you were liberated from your bags, and they would hand you a boarding pass within moments so you didn't have to join the mosh pit. How technology has changed things in such a short period of time!

By that point they had vacated T6 and consolidated to T5, correct?

Correct

T6 was abandoned after the TWA 800 fiasco.

they started parking the 747s and the rest is history

By 98 they were consolidated in T5. By 2000, they were consolidated into one wing of T5. (The north wing)

Which airline used the T5 south wing after TWA left? Did Jetblue ever use it for overnight parking or charter flights?

Was it abandoned?

blacksoviet

Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 pm

They should get a DC-9 or a 727-100 and display it next to the Connie.

Aurantiaco

Thu May 30, 2019 8:00 pm

Darn! I want to go there so bad, but I live in the South and I’m not at a legal age to book a hotel room. :cry:

jfklganyc

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:22 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
varsity wrote:

By that point they had vacated T6 and consolidated to T5, correct?

Correct

T6 was abandoned after the TWA 800 fiasco.

they started parking the 747s and the rest is history

By 98 they were consolidated in T5. By 2000, they were consolidated into one wing of T5. (The north wing)

Which airline used the T5 south wing after TWA left? Did Jetblue ever use it for overnight parking or charter flights?

Was it abandoned?

It was abandoned as they shrunk.

they put a rope across the entrance to the tube

It was only for the final six months or so before AA bought them.

It all happened very quickly like a person that’s been sick for a while just dying

fbgdavidson

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:19 am

OK, so this isn't a full blown write up since I haven't actually stayed there yet but as noted in a previous post because my father-in-law worked at TWA in the 1970s and 1990s we surprised him and my MIL with an early Father's Day present of a night here, Runway View Executive Room. So we tagged along to explore for the first few hours...

You walk in through the main doors to the building, with wide staircase ahead of you and a Solari board facing into the building, a small desk below is manned by people wearing retro TWA uniforms. We all arrived around 4pm, the check-in time, and there was a small line to check-in. There's also a self check-in on an iPad which we were directed to but had some issues so needed assistance. We were handed a map of hotel with list of all its facilities and invited to explore.

You walk up the wide staircase to the next level up with Sunken Lounge ahead of you and the Lockheed Constellation parked on the ramp below you. The building is spectacular, honestly, I'd seen pictures but being there is just so different. Every angle is completely ripe for photos and the developers have done such an amazing job. One part has a small store, there's an area with flight attendant uniforms throughout TWA's time and accompanying descriptions. There's also a food hall across from where check-in is.

Their room was in the "Hughes Wing" which overlooks the 4/22 runways, whereas the "Saarinen Wing" is facing 31R/13L. If you are staying in the coming months and want a runway view this is worth knowing because 31R/13L is closed so you won't see much activity.

To get to the rooms you walk down the "tubes" which both connect with T5 and there are little offshoots with the lifts. They were on the 7th floor but the lifts from the lobby level are on the 4th floor. Their 7th floor room had great views over the apron between Terminals 5 and 4 and runways 22/4 beyond that.

The room itself was not particularly huge but very nicely appointed with bed directly facing the windows, 4.5" glass so you can't hear a damn thing. Bathroom was quite small but again, well fitted out. Everything appears to have been done to a very high standard.

We explored a little more, at the end of the "Hughes" tube there was a little exhibition with photos from construction and other Saarinen projects. It's when you see photos of this building under construction with photos of Viscounts and Constellations parked near it that you realise this thing must have been like something from another world landing at JFK when it opened...

We went up to the rooftop pool bar which is on the top of the Hughes Wing. All bags must go in a transparent bag for security purposes but the pool itself is very cool. Super views of the arrivals on 4R and departures on 4L. Drinks prices are about what you'd expect for a hotel bar, $16-$20 for a cocktail....we had two rounds and a selection of nibbles and it was about $200 before tip. Crowd were a real mix with some families, spotters (one guy had binoculars and a notepad, more than one person had enormous telephoto lenses), hotel residents and people looking for a good photo. You also had the NYC skyline off to one side.

After that we dropped the in-laws off at "Paris Cafe" the Jean-George restaurant and we ducked out home. Will be back there tomorrow to try the Sunken Lounge out after they've had a post check-out drink at Connie. Given I'm due to stay there for my birthday in December I don't want to try everything yet. So I personally won't be checking out Connie or the TWA Shop and Museum in there.

Either way, if any of you find a few spare hours at JFK definitely hop on the AirTrain over to T5 and give it a walk through. The "head house" is just a beautiful space as you can see from below:

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

nycbjr

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Wow great write up and pics! Makes me want to bet my butt other there even more!

jmdc861

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Just returned from 4 nights there with my grandkids. The place is Avgeek delight! So many planes and liveries from so many parts of the world. So many A380s so close you almost feel you could touch them from the infinity pool deck. Coolest point was seeing a Korean A380 followed on takeoff by an Asiana A380 right behind it! Oh and seeing all the Delta aircraft, the largest operator at JFK, you realize what a lousy livery they have particularly on the tail where that red triangle is placed on top of a dark blue tail. How that ever got approved beats me!