caliboy93
Topic Author

Adopt an Airport

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:44 am

So if you could adopt any one airport, what would it be and why? And how would you make it better?

TheEuphorian

Re: Adopt an Airport

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 am

BKK:
Build a new terminal to the east of the runways, so that I wouldn't end up in the remote stands everytime I flew out from there.

conaly

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 am

BER
Tear it down and build a new one in Sperenberg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperenberg_Airfield

For obvious reasons.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HIJ, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, HAM, HND, MUC, NUE, ZRH

PatrickZ80

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Newburgh Stewart Airport. I'd invest in better connections to New York City and other surrounding towns, more bus lines and probably extend the railway line from Salisbury Mills on to the airport and have trains running between the airport and Hoboken. That would make this airport easier to get to, so you can attract more passengers and therefor more airlines. This airport really deserves a chance.

PanzerPowner

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 am

LGB: Long Beach Municipal Airport, International terminal and yet keeping the aesthetic of walking out to your flight.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

rjsampson

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:20 am

KSAN. 2nd largest city in California, 2nd busiest single runway airport in the world, with the fewest gates among major cities. Here's how I'd sponsor it: I'D FUND THE MASTER EXPANSION PLAN ALREADY, TO STOP DILLY-DALLYING! Our City Council's level of competence has also been rated among the the least effective in major cities, not just in California, but the entire US. And friggin' more International Gates! We'll get by with one runway till 2030 (Great Weather) ...but our population is VERY diverse and hate taking RJ's to LAX to get where they want/need to go.

So there's that.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

conaly

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 am

rjsampson wrote:
2nd busiest single runway airport in the world

Third Fourth actually, has been overtaken by Istanbul Sabiha-Gökcen (31M).

Edit: actually, London-Stansted (28M) did also overtake SAN.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HIJ, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, HAM, HND, MUC, NUE, ZRH

Eindhoven

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 pm

EIN, what else?

rjsampson

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:24 am

conaly wrote:
rjsampson wrote:
2nd busiest single runway airport in the world

Third Fourth actually, has been overtaken by Istanbul Sabiha-Gökcen (31M).

Edit: actually, London-Stansted (28M) did also overtake SAN.

Thanks for the correction. And exactly my point. MORE INTERNATIONAL GATES, SAN DIEGO! We have Japan, London, Germany (I think sometimes Switzerland)... Yet we have a substantial Asian population (where are your, airlines, Phillippines, China, etc...? our Japanese demographic is lower than the aforementioned Countries), not to mention that no routes (to my knowledge) are served to South America. KSAN just doesn't serve a lot of international destinations, and I don't know why. IMHO: International Airlines, the City of SD, and the Port of SD, are missing out on substantial revenue opportunities.

I guess many international travelers in San Diego are just resigned to the RJ's to LAX or SFO to get to their destination country. I don't understand. San Diego is a larger city, by population and area, than San Francisco. Despite the larger population of the Bay Area, there's only SFO to go Int'l (anywhere they want) and the 2nd largest city, San Diego, shuffles people to LA to get where they want to go. I blame SWA lol.

...Is it because of the displaced thresholds and single runway? That makes no sense. If an LH A343 is lumbering over terrain with 8,000' of usable runway to go to Frankfurt: Sure stands to reason that something else (politcally?) needs to be changed. A.Net community: Do you have any input? In the Spirit of this Thread, "I'LL SPONSOR KSAN TO MAKE IT MORE INTERNATIONAL!" [fantasy]

BTW - I do know my City Council Members. Should I bring this up with them?

Thoughts?
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

Flyingdevil737

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am

I would do Hobart (YMHB).

Give it more than the current 4 parking positions, introduce pushback tractors, make the airfreight/firefighting apron bigger and maybe add a larger area for bizjets.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first Fokker airplane built in the world. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker.