Osiris
Topic Author

BA Y+ to J Airport Upgrade - High price, but low load?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:21 am

I was on a BA flight from JFK to LHR last night seated in the Y+ cabin. I asked the BA personnel at the bag drop / check-in counter if there were any upgrades available and if so how much were they. There were two of us travelling and our initial thinking was that, given the holiday weekend in the States, and the super high J configured 744 on the route, the Club World cabin might be pretty light and maybe we could snag a cheap upgrade.

To my surprise, the man at the counter said the cost would be $676 (~ £520) per person.

Given that flight is barely 6 hours, we decided to skip it and stay in Y+. No big deal really, we came out LHR-JFK in First and we've flown Club World before. I just didn't feel the upgrade was worth around £100/hour for the level of additional service we'd get. Y+ will do for the flight home.

When we boarded the aircraft, our initial suspicions were partly correct: The J cabin that we saw (the second half of it at least) was dead. And I mean dead. There were 3 people in it, and rows and rows of empty seats. This was pretty disappointing.

So... I guess I'm just checking my logic really. What gives with that upgrade cost? Was I being a bit stingy? Do BA not give good upgrade deals at the airport? Do BA (or airlines in general) not try to top up extremely light premium cabins with slightly enticing deals?

readytotaxi

Re: BA Y+ to J Airport Upgrade - High price, but low load?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:02 pm

BA is a big machine and slow to respond, they have their rules protecting revenue. You would have thought with 50+ J seats going empty they would have offered a better price at the gate, something Jet Blue might do. BA want to protect the J product and if they get known for great last minute deals their forward booking suffers. I don't think you were stingy, made the right call.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

upperdeckfan

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Most of european majors would have done the same, protecting revenue by raising the bar to be seated up front.

Because US carriers don't do it doesn't mean it's a bad policy.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

vhtje

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:58 pm

I personally would have paid £520 in a heartbeat. Seems a bargain to me, when NYC J fares on BA can be well over £1000.

BA have set fares for airport upgrade promotions on each route. Some are admittedly better value than others. Flyertalk has a airport upgrade cost tracking thread that show you what the prices are.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

LH658

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:28 am

vhtje wrote:
I personally would have paid £520 in a heartbeat. Seems a bargain to me, when NYC J fares on BA can be well over £1000.

BA have set fares for airport upgrade promotions on each route. Some are admittedly better value than others. Flyertalk has a airport upgrade cost tracking thread that show you what the prices are.

Well you add that to the top of how much you the Premium economy ticket for, then it might not be worth it. JFK to LHR isn't a long flight, maybe from LAX, IAH, MEX, or from South America might be worth it. I don't bother even flying Premium Economy, if the flight is empty you can snag a row to yourself. Which is essentially better than Premium Y. Just my opinion. Though if i bought a ticket for cheap from Singapore, DFW, SFO, MEX or South America was offered that price from Y i might take it.

J343

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:59 pm

I personally wouldn't have bothered. But I have a trip to SFO soon with BA and I am currently being offered an upgrade to CW from WT+ for £590 which I am considering but given my tier point year ends in May, I will be losing the surplus. After the trip, I will have enough just to maintain Silver and there is no point upgrading and losing tier points. WT+ with BA is probably one of the better Y+ I've flown in.

Recently got back from NYC a few weeks ago on AA100. There were just 5 of us in Y+, J was half full, economy was fairly empty and it was on a B77W

Osiris
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 pm

J343 wrote:
I personally wouldn't have bothered. But I have a trip to SFO soon with BA and I am currently being offered an upgrade to CW from WT+ for £590 which I am considering but given my tier point year ends in May, I will be losing the surplus. After the trip, I will have enough just to maintain Silver and there is no point upgrading and losing tier points. WT+ with BA is probably one of the better Y+ I've flown in.

Recently got back from NYC a few weeks ago on AA100. There were just 5 of us in Y+, J was half full, economy was fairly empty and it was on a B77W

Funnily enough, I've also got an SFO trip coming up in June and was quoted £2860 to jump from Y to CW for both legs... Will keep an eye on it and hope it drops as time gets closer!

FWIW, I would've taken £590 Y+ to CW on a flight that long.

Also agreed on BA's Y+. I've flown Virgin and BA Y+ and on both occasions much preferred BA's offering, as did my spouse.

J343

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Osiris wrote:
J343 wrote:

Funnily enough, I've also got an SFO trip coming up in June and was quoted £2860 to jump from Y to CW for both legs... Will keep an eye on it and hope it drops as time gets closer!

FWIW, I would've taken £590 Y+ to CW on a flight that long.

Also agreed on BA's Y+. I've flown Virgin and BA Y+ and on both occasions much preferred BA's offering, as did my spouse.

Yeah, I am considering it. What's holding me back is the fact that my membership year ends in May and it'll just be such a waste of Tier Points that I can't carry over. It'll be a waste of 120 Tier Points and I am not exactly close to getting lifetime Gold lol.