Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pezzy669

Re: What's your favorite/least favorite airport to connect through?

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:17 am

Worst

ORD - horrific Intl to domestic connection setup.
MSP - it can either be great or terrible. Your connecting flight could be two gates over, or it could be clear across the airport that feels like at least a mile.

Really have not had issues at other airports. DTW was a nightmare in the old terminal. CLT seemed to have some long walks and the regional terminal is a total dump. Surprised at the hate for ATL (my home airport) as it is a very efficient layout, I had a favorite bartender at the far end of A terminal and have made it to my departing flight in no time in E & F in 10 mins or so.

LTU932

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am

Favourite: AMS, DFW
Worst: LHR, MEX T1
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

VSMUT

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Jutlander wrote:
smallmj wrote:
Yeah a terminal change would be a real hassle. I was flying AF YYZ-CDG-DKR and it was all in terminal 2. The key to managing the language barrier is to try a little French. Once they discover that you aren't an arrogant Anglophone you'll find Francophones much easier to communicate with.

So then I am the arrogant Anglophone, but why is this never a problem outside France? Why can't the French accept that their language is just a local language for their country only.

One word: Italy

Italy is, IMHO, far worse than France in this field.

Jutlander

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Jutlander wrote:
smallmj wrote:
Yeah a terminal change would be a real hassle. I was flying AF YYZ-CDG-DKR and it was all in terminal 2. The key to managing the language barrier is to try a little French. Once they discover that you aren't an arrogant Anglophone you'll find Francophones much easier to communicate with.

So then I am the arrogant Anglophone, but why is this never a problem outside France? Why can't the French accept that their language is just a local language for their country only.

One word: Italy

Italy is, IMHO, far worse than France in this field.

That is not my experience. When I connected in FCO they tried to speak English. They were bad at it, but they understand that foreigners don't speak Italian and they don't demand that either. That is better than in France. They just don't understand it that someone does not speak French.

Even the Spanish understand it that some people don't speak Spanish, despite it is the second-most spoken language on the planet. More people speak Spanish than French. I don't speak Spanish. I've often been to Spain and always able to handle everything in English. Don't try that in France!

Yflyer

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 pm

For US domestic flights:
Favorite: Probably DEN. It has a very logical layout and it easy to navigate.

One I have mixed feelings about: MSP. I think it's a very nice airport, it's just that it seems like every time I connect there I have to get from Concourse F to Concourse A or B or vise-versa, which is a pretty serious hike.

Worst: I'd say HNL. I've only connected there once, and the fact that I was connecting from UA to HA probably made it worse than if I'd been all on one airline, but it was a terrible experience. When I got off my UA flight there was no signage indicating where I needed to go to get to the gate for my connecting inter-island flight. For that matter I couldn't even find a monitor that showed what gate my connecting flight departed from; I had to go to the HA website on my phone to look up that information. Then I just sort of started walking until I noticed a map outside at the Wiki-Wiki bus stop and boarded the bus to get to where I needed to go. The bus driver was very friendly and helpful, at least; that's one positive thing I can say.

max999

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 am

Worst connecting hubs: LHR and CDG
To go from A to B, these airports force you to walk through long windowless corridors, many twist and turns, up and down stairs and escalators, buses and trains, and etc. Basically, there is never a straight line when connecting at these two airports. It's especially stressful to go through these hurdles when coming off an overnight flight and you have bad jet lag.

A lot of people mention DTW as being good. This is surprising because the terminal was paid for and built by NW. NW had a reputation for being a penny-pincher. Kudos to NW for investing good money in their terminal.

smallmj wrote:
Jutlander wrote:
That's not my experience with CDG, one of the worst airports. Had to change terminals which was a nightmare. Collect and recheck luggage, never again! Info was only available in French which I don't speak. Nobody at this airport speaks descent English.

(btw, when complaining about other folk's language skills, make sure that you know the difference between decent and descent :) )

Regardless of cultural differences between languages and countries...English is the language of aviation. Every country has agreed to this. It's a problem if the CDG customer facing staff don't speak good English or don't want to speak it at all.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

dredgy

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:45 am

Favourite: Seoul Incheon, Singapore, Brisbane. First two are self explanatory, and I just know Brisbane like the back of my hand. Also quite like Lisbon (if you're in business class). In the US, Charlotte is the only airport that I've been to that ranks as tolerable.

Least: Easily Frankfurt. A very boring airport for the size. Plus they have weird rules about what can remain in your bag at a security screening (apparently the rule is any electronics larger than a cell phone must be removed from bag) - which would be fine but there's no actual signage that says this and if that is indeed the rule, then enforcement is inconsistent at best. I haven't transited at LAX as often, but it would be up there too.

Tenaja85

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm

In the US:
Best-- DEN, PDX
Worst--JFK, ORD
In Europe:
Best--MAD, ZRH
Worst--CDG, LHR

FlyingColours

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:09 pm

This is a bit of a tough one as I think it depends on a lot of factors, are you changing from international to domestic or the other way round, are you changing airlines / terminals too etc..

I see ORD doesn't have much love in this thread, I've done International to Domestic and Domestic to International, both with AA here. D-I was easy enough, same terminal and the bag was checkeced through to MAN. We just went for a bite to eat then back to the gate, simple.
Our I-D wasn't great but it was far from bad too, that was with AA and after clearing customs & immigration there was a bag drop off nearby and a short tram ride over to the other terminal, easy enough although we had to go through security again which was fair enough and we did have a 3 hour connection so no problem here.

PHL on the other hand, we flew PHX-PHL-MAN in January and it was pretty good, we were able to stay airside the whole time and while the walk could be too long in a short connection situation it was fine. On the other hand, the previous year it was the worst in my experience for connections when we came in from MAN and conencting on to a domestic flight. We had a 3 hour connection and yet spent 2 hours in customs & immigration, despite there only being 1 other A330 that had just arrived it was down to the number of booths in use for general visitors (new ESTAs etc) but plenty for US pasport holders... We had to check our bags in again, go through security and then run all the way across the airport for our connection, very stressful and also at the time was officially the continuing portion of our inbound flight.

We've got ATL coming up in a few months, MAN-ATL-MIA and I'm worried that the 2.1 hour connection that VS has given us isn't going to be enough but we shall wait and see as they seem to suggest we can stay airside once through customs...

I've done Heathrow I-D and D-I, one internation into T5 and the shuttle onward and the other was the shuttle to T5 and international from T3. Aside from T3 being a shopping centre rather than an airport terminal and some windowless corridors it was alright. Terminal 5 is a good experience although the design of the terminal means if you are coming in on one side and needing to get the shuttle bus you have to walk all the way round as there is no elevated/segregated corridor to cut right across the terminal.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Gr8Circle

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 am

In the last few years have connected at the following airports:

Liked: YOW, YVR, DAL, JFK (but it was within T4), MIA

Did not like: LHR, LGA, YYC (had to run from one end of terminal to other), AUH (dreary old terminal), ATL (change of gate and terminal can make life miserable)

williamsmith

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:04 pm

max999 wrote:
Worst connecting hubs: LHR and CDG
To go from A to B, these airports force you to walk through long windowless corridors, many twist and turns, up and down stairs and escalators, buses and trains, and etc. Basically, there is never a straight line when connecting at these two airports. It's especially stressful to go through these hurdles when coming off an overnight flight and you have bad jet lag.

A lot of people mention DTW as being good. This is surprising because the terminal was paid for and built by NW. NW had a reputation for being a penny-pincher. Kudos to NW for investing good money in their terminal.

smallmj wrote:
Jutlander wrote:
That's not my experience with CDG, one of the worst airports. Had to change terminals which was a nightmare. Collect and recheck luggage, never again! Info was only available in French which I don't speak. Nobody at this airport speaks descent English.

(btw, when complaining about other folk's language skills, make sure that you know the difference between decent and descent :) )

Regardless of cultural differences between languages and countries...English is the language of aviation. Every country has agreed to this. It's a problem if the CDG customer facing staff don't speak good English or don't want to speak it at all.

Best:LHR,SIN,AMS
Worst: FRA,SEA,LAS

Lingon

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Favourites SIN, AMS, HKG.

Don't like LHR, MNL (both a nuisance when changing terminals), BKK (you don't get access to the seats at the gate until shortly before boarding, very few other seats).

royalswazi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:40 am

Depends - FRA intra-Europe is ok, non-Europe-Europe is a nightmare. If you’ve got priority many airports are great, but can be terrible without. Then there’s a difference between actors: the ones at LHR’s T5 are (expletive deleted), whereas the ones at T2 are rather nice. I still prefer Maggie Smith, though.

BuildingMyBento

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:19 am

When I had a visa (to go and grab a bite/do shopping), the old JED was good. No, it wasn't good, but I appreciated that it was a major hub without much transiting between gates. The new JED looks like it could be as bad as any other standard megahub.

When flying from North America, I try to fly through a Tokyo-area airport.

LBA1432

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:53 am

Not many for me to be honest, I’ve connected through: LHR IAD FRA ATH ATL SAN.

Seen some negative comments about LHR and it all depends whether you have to change terminals. If it’s BA and just connecting through T5 it’s very good, although once I flew RDU-LHR-LBA and had to connect from T3 to T5 which was a shocking experience.

Having done ATL a few times I’ve always found it easy and effortless, no complaints. Similar with ATH, no complaints!

FRA was a nightmare, never again if the option comes up. I walked miles that day to find places to eat and drink and the lack of signage and security checks made it all the more stressful.

I have HKG and CDG coming up later in the year, I think that may be a tale of two airports :lol:

Scarebus34

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:43 pm

FRA is hands down the worst for connecting from schengan to non-schengan. Especially if you’re inbound flight is parking at a bus gate.

jetwet1

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Best - ZRH
Worst- JFK or LHR

Though with that said, though it's an easy connection, I have a particular dislike for IAH, but only because when I was making a lot of flights connecting through there on CO it was guaranteed that the arrival gate would be the furthest gate from the departure gate, no matter where I was flying to/from.

bfitzflyer

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Domestic - best Den or DTW
International - best TPE or ICN or NRT

747Whale

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:54 am

Least favorites: Heathrow, Jeddah, Bagdhad, Jordan.

AirAfreak

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:01 am

Least Favorite: SEA (Seattle, Washington, USA)

Favorite: ICN (Incheon, South Korea)

Seattle/Tacoma became my least favorite transfer airport once I stepped into the International Arrivals Hall in October 2018; courtesy of a DELTA Seoul/Incheon flight. The sparkling airport terminal at Incheon Airport made Sea-Tac Airport look like a sad and miserable garbage dump. I’ve flown to nicer airports in third-world countries and that’s a pretty sad observation, in my opinion.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

timh4000

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:59 am

Recently in January my wife and I enjoyed some great food, and fantastic views of the mountains along with being able to watch numerous takeoffs and landings at DEN there was a slight delay which didn't bother us a bit. Might have felt differently had it been later or missed a connection lol. Same trip coming back, wasn't thrilled with IAD. And I've never been a fan of ORD. that's probably been my most common layover. I can think of airports I like less, but as a connection just not a fan of ORD

MHG

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:55 am

Least favourite airport: Paris CDG and London LHR (unless transfering only within T5 ...)

Most favourite airport: Hong Kong HKG
(sorry, SIN is not even close - the inconvenience of transfering between different terminals is the main factor for me)
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

777Jet

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:06 pm

717atOGG wrote:
I've been thinking about this question for a while, and thought it'd be interesting to hear other people's opinions on this, so what's your favorite/least favorite connecting airport?

In my experience, I've really liked DEN for its straightforward design

Favorite - DEN
Least favorite - LAX
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

a320fan

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:46 am

I’m tossing up between SIN and DOH, I think the length of the connection will determine which I would prefer. For a short connection of less than 3 hours DOH. It’s clean, spacious, bathrooms are immaculate and the security screening is centralised so once you’re in the transit zone you’re in. (I’ve flown through twice, once we were screened and once we were let out straight into the departures hall) the shopping and food options are quite sterile however, and traffic to spot is 95% QR so a longer layover would get very boring.

SIN would be my preference for longer layovers, there is so much to do in the terminal if you want. The at gate security screening is a bit of a pet peeve however.

I’m connecting in Bandar Seri Begawan (BWN) this week and actually not looking forward to it. Despite being such a small airport I’ve heard the queue through the security can be long and once through the terminal is sparse and dark. If that’s an accurate description I’ll have a worst to add shortly.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

asuflyer05

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 am

Favorite: IAD, MIA
Least Favorite: MAD (T4S to T4), BOS.

Wednesdayite

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:05 pm

I may have voted for DTW earlier in the thread, but I connected there again last week and I found the train in the McNamara Terminal was out of service. It’s not so great an airport when you are rushing with bags down that giant mile long concourse.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

DaProf

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:
I may have voted for DTW earlier in the thread, but I connected there again last week and I found the train in the McNamara Terminal was out of service. It’s not so great an airport when you are rushing with bags down that giant mile long concourse.

Or you are stuck there overnight and the tram is working.. even at 3 am... making sure nobody can get any sleep. That is why is won't fly through there anymore.

csavel

Sat May 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Coming late to the party but

Best, AMS, DUB, DFW, MIA (Yes MIA if you take American Domestic to Intl, lotta windows for spotting)
Worst LFW (filthiest airport I've ever been to), CDG, of course and ATL, Apparently Southern Hospitality doesn't carry over to the airport staff. I. hate. ATL.
I am a native New Yorker so never have to transit in NY so can't comment on JFK and EWR, which seem to be on everyone's sh*t list.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.