Lesismore69
Topic Author

British Airways Configuration 777 SAN to LHR

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi all,

I'll be flying from SoCal to London this summer (actually early June), and my flight to LHR will be through SAN (from LAX) on BA. It was purchased through AA though.

In any case, I'm curious about a few things:

1. I purchased main cabin (NOT basic) economy so I could check a bag for free and select my seats
- I am able to select my seats on AA metal well in advance (like now) but can't select seats on the BA metal flights until within 24 hours of the flight.
- That's really annoying - it'd be nice if the benefits of the AA main cabin economy transferred over the BA operated flights
- Also after some digging and phone call found out I need another separate booking reference from BA to even do that! Not as seamless as I'd like.
2. Itinerary shows it will be a 777 from SAN to LHR
- Which 777 is this? The -200 or -300? Looks like it will be a 4-class plane
- What are the best seats in economy, if I'm even able to select at that time

Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance!

masgniw

Re: British Airways Configuration 777 SAN to LHR

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:14 pm

Last summer, I believe they were running the 777-300ER into SAN.

GSTBA

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:24 pm

A 773ER is planned to operate for the majority of the S19 schedule. The only exception to this is between 31MAY19 to 16JUN19 when a 4 class 772ER will replace the 773ER.

Lesismore69 wrote:
2. Itinerary shows it will be a 777 from SAN to LHR
- Which 777 is this? The -200 or -300? Looks like it will be a 4-class plane
- What are the best seats in economy, if I'm even able to select at that time

Thanks in advance!

You will be able to tell whether your flight is planned to be on a -300 or -200 from the seat plan which can be viewed in by selecting the choose a seat option in manage my booking. The economy cabin on the -300 will show a seat plan starting row 28 and ending 50. The -200 should start with row 26 and end row 40. The website BA source has detailed seat maps and advise on were best to sit. See links below

772ER (12F/48J/32W/127Y):

http://thebasource.com/seat-maps/b777-2 ... 8j32w127y/

773ER (14F/56J/44W/183Y)

http://thebasource.com/seat-maps/b777-3 ... 6j44w183y/
Last edited by GSTBA on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Just a few days ago, I saw the British Airways 747-400 on approach to SAN from my school in National City. It's a magnificent sight; however, it is hard to know what exactly BA plans on using equipment-wise long term.

I recommend the site http://www.seatguru.com and type in the date and flight number of your particular flight, and you'll be see what British Airways currently knows. If it comes up as a 747-400, well, sorry, that would mean BA hasn't updated their schedules; but if it comes up as a 777, it should show you the type.

The 777-300 with the 4-class service has been seen here many times, as cargo capacity seems to be a major driving force in this route.

You might be able to pay extra and call BA to reserve your seats before the 24-hour check-in time; however, right now even they might not know!

If you are doing LAX-SAN-LHR, you should have an easy transfer at SAN - everything will be in terminal 2. Let us know how the trip goes!!

PI4EVER

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Advance seat selection on BA is available using the BA confirmation/record locator you can obtain from AA, but you must pay a fee. Otherwise, free seat selection begins at the 24 hour mark before departure.
Don't feel slighted being a Y passenger. Business class passengers also have to pay to select seats in advance!
BA.com and the aforementioned "record locator" should give you the ability to see the cabin layout and select and pay for seats.
watch what you want. you may get it.

Lesismore69
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Wow, thanks all for your very informative and helpful responses! I'll take a look at the seat map when I log in to British Airways website to select my seats, which you are all correct that I have to pay a fee (around $40-$50) to select my seats now.
My outbound is on June 6, so it falls in that small window of time where they'll be flying a 772 (between 31May and 16Jun).

Another question now, will that 772 have the updated IFE as I read that the 772's will be updated by summer 2019?
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/in ... ng-777-200

Lesismore69
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:13 pm

I was able to look up the seats on the flight from SAN to LHR on BA.com, using the booking reference number, and it looks like that plane will be a -300. I'm pleasantly surprised that they haven't gone to 10-across seating in economy. Hope it lasts.

fbgdavidson

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Lesismore69 wrote:
I was able to look up the seats on the flight from SAN to LHR on BA.com, using the booking reference number, and it looks like that plane will be a -300.\

Don't assume that will stick. BA are pretty fluid with switching 777-200s and -300s about. There's also a small chance you could find yourself back on a 744. Where I've booked 6 months out on JFK/IAD to London it's not been uncommon to have multiple switches between aircraft between booking and travel.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Lesismore69
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Don't assume that will stick. BA are pretty fluid with switching 777-200s and -300s about. There's also a small chance you could find yourself back on a 744. Where I've booked 6 months out on JFK/IAD to London it's not been uncommon to have multiple switches between aircraft between booking and travel.[/quote]

Oh interesting, thanks for letting me know. I would actually love to fly on a 747 again, so if the equipment changes that'll be great. I flew on a BA 744 once before when I was going to MUC for work via LHR. I last flew BA last September when I was on an A380 from LHR to LAX. Both were really good experiences, I find their services in economy far superior to anything the US domestics offer.