sargester
Topic Author

If you could rename any airport what would it be?

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:45 am

I think this is a question every avgeek thinks about every now and again... still waiting for GNV to change its name to Tom Petty Regional Airport

Thoughts Lads?

N328KF

Re: If you could rename any airport what would it be?

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:50 am

Any airport named after a political figure or celebrity. The original reasons for naming are often specious at best. When community sentiment changes, then the name looks dated.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

seemyseems

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:51 am

When I worked at MAN someone pitched naming the airport in honour of Alan Turing, I thought it was a good idea!
seemyseems in ATL

ODwyerPW

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:58 am

Albany International Airport ...I would rename it Air Harbor …. yeah... it's a rip off of Phoenix's Sky Harbor.... but I still think its good. Could even be Albany Air Harbor...or AAH!
learning never stops.

FlyHPN

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:15 am

ODwyerPW wrote:
Albany International Airport ...I would rename it Air Harbor …. yeah... it's a rip off of Phoenix's Sky Harbor.... but I still think its good. Could even be Albany Air Harbor...or AAH!

At the rate we’re going, any airport in NY is at risk of becoming the Cuomo Airport.

seat1a

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:16 am

SeaTac. Rename is Rainier International.

SeaDoo

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:30 am

I agree with getting rid of airports named after politicians. Maybe there are some examples that merit such recognition, but none I can think of off the top of my head. We can start with getting rid of Ted Stevens at ANC.

sargester
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:03 am

SeaDoo wrote:
I agree with getting rid of airports named after politicians. Maybe there are some examples that merit such recognition, but none I can think of off the top of my head. We can start with getting rid of Ted Stevens at ANC.

JFK and LGA?

FlyHappy

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:40 am

seat1a wrote:
SeaTac. Rename is Rainier International.

well, from the ouside "SeaTac" just kinda sounds cool. But seeing Rainier on a clear, sunny day from the air is pretty darn awesome.

Personally, I hate "Houston Hobby" - "Houston City Field" sounds nice.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17 am

"Barack Obama International Airport at Orchard Field, Chicago". Or perhaps "Barack Obama International Airport at Midway Field, Chicago". Both are good.

Mr. Obama, however, would probably insist that nothing be named after him until at least ten years after his death, which was formerly the historical precedent. The history needs to be complete and time needs to pass before the conferring of the name upon any public building.

Interestingly, Memphis International Airport could bear the name of Elvis Presley or Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, or W.C. Handy or a multitude of other great cultural contributors, but the slogan one is greeted with says it all:

I like the way this non-specific title honors ALL those who have contributed to the music and culture of the United States that have been in Memphis. I like that when there are a lot to choose from.

AS737MAX

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:48 am

sargester wrote:
I think this is a question every avgeek thinks about every now and again... still waiting for GNV to change its name to Tom Petty Regional Airport

Thoughts Lads?

You've got my vote for Tom Petty Regional Airport!

jamesontheroad

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 am

Norwich Airport (NWI) > Alan Partridge International

kruiseri

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:52 am

seemyseems wrote:
When I worked at MAN someone pitched naming the airport in honour of Alan Turing, I thought it was a good idea!

Are any airports in the UK named after a person ?

eicvd

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 am

Dublin, Jim Gavin International
COYBIB

eicvd

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 am

kruiseri wrote:
seemyseems wrote:

Liverpool John Lennon
COYBIB

ExpatVet

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:41 am

Budapest Airport. We need to name it after me.

Nope, I'm not famous or anything, just would be hilarious. :)
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

Wednesdayite

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:20 pm

kruiseri wrote:
seemyseems wrote:

Someone has already mentioned John Lennon.

In addition, Doncaster-Sheffield was named after Robin Hood until 2016.

Of course that leads to a debate about his status as a “person” or legendary figure.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

unrave

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Most Indian airports are named after politicians (often belonging to a single political family), many of whom pursued policies that were harmful to the aviation industry in India. Given a chance I would rename all of them to the primary metro areas that they serve.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

wave46

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Montreal-Trudeau airport back to Montreal-Dorval airport.

Montreal-Mirabel airport to Montreal-Trudeau.

That would be fitting.

seemyseems

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 pm

kruiseri wrote:
seemyseems wrote:

Two other users mentioned DSA and LPL, the only other I can think of is Belfast City Airport named after George Best.
seemyseems in ATL

ODwyerPW

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:57 pm

FlyHPN wrote:
At the rate we’re going, any airport in NY is at risk of becoming the Cuomo Airport.

Yeah, I don't like naming publicly funded things after individuals. It's a consistent sentiment I've held most of my life. That's why I like Air Harbor for Albany... being it's the state capital and is home to a population that loves to heap on accolades to public figures (politicians, military, etc.), I fear it's definitely in danger of becoming a monument to Cuomo (I have nothing against the man at all, probably has been a very good governor). Rather hope they chose something different.... Although if they kept Albany International Airport, that's good too..
learning never stops.

ricport

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:20 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
sargester wrote:

Thoughts Lads?

How about we simply end the ridiculous naming of public building/spaces after people and save the hard-working taxpayer a lot of $$ instead?

EChid

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 pm

If we could change IATA location identifiers, I'd probably start with FAT.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:45 pm

EChid wrote:

No! All the funny things in the world are being PC-ized. The world needs Dickinson, Fukuoka, Fresno, Busan,Wittennoom, Allen Army Airfield, Little Rock, and SIngapore to stay where they are! But good luck finding a routing that involves DIK, FUK, FAT, PUS, WIT, BIG, KLIT and SIN!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

smallvoyageur

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:47 pm

Personally, I would like Stockholm's second airport NYO to Stockholm-Nyköping, rather its current name of Skavsta as it is confusing and a little difficult to non-Swedish-speakers to pronounce properly.

On the others, surely just having it with the name of the city, with the name of the local area or geographical point e.g. central or north is sufficient. Some of these named airports, just don't make sense as a traveller.

EChid

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:38 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
EChid wrote:

No! All the funny things in the world are being PC-ized. The world needs Dickinson, Fukuoka, Fresno, Busan,Wittennoom, Allen Army Airfield, Little Rock, and SIngapore to stay where they are! But good luck finding a routing that involves DIK, FUK, FAT, PUS, WIT, BIG, KLIT and SIN!

Hahaha, true true. It's awfully endearing. I was in Clovis/Fresno for work and talking to a government employee. Apparently, they had tried to change FAT (Fresno Air Terminal) to FYI (Fresno Yosemite International), which is potentially even more endearing, but it was denied by the powers that be.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

flipdewaf

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:32 am

The only one I can think to change is Durham tees valley back to Teesside airport.

However this happened and takes total priority:

jamesontheroad wrote:
Norwich Airport (NWI) > Alan Partridge International

You win todays internet for me.

Fred

maps4ltd

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:59 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
"Barack Obama International Airport at Orchard Field, Chicago". Or perhaps "Barack Obama International Airport at Midway Field, Chicago". Both are good.

Mr. Obama, however, would probably insist that nothing be named after him until at least ten years after his death, which was formerly the historical precedent. The history needs to be complete and time needs to pass before the conferring of the name upon any public building.

Interestingly, Memphis International Airport could bear the name of Elvis Presley or Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, or W.C. Handy or a multitude of other great cultural contributors, but the slogan one is greeted with says it all:

I like the way this non-specific title honors ALL those who have contributed to the music and culture of the United States that have been in Memphis. I like that when there are a lot to choose from.

I'm not sure how well the Obama thing would go over with outsiders, given the paltry reception of Reagan National.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

MHG

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:41 am

N328KF wrote:
Any airport named after a political figure or celebrity. The original reasons for naming are often specious at best. When community sentiment changes, then the name looks dated.

That´s exactly my taking on it.
Have to add that there are also quite a number of airports named after a small village (on whose´s grounds the airport was built) rather that of the larger city / region the airport serves.
That´s a big no-no IMHO - especially if locals use that "local" name that no-one from further afield can relate to (prominent example "Roissy" how locals call it for Paris CDG / even a double no-go for me that one is ...)
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

jetwet1

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:12 pm

I would actually rename two airports :

JFK = New Yorks airport
EWR = No we are New Yorks airport

Then grab some popcotand watch the show.

smallmj

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:19 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

JFK = New Yorks airport

Would that make LGA = We would be New York's airport if they let us?

StormRider

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:17 pm

unrave wrote:
Most Indian airports are named after politicians (often belonging to a single political family), many of whom pursued policies that were harmful to the aviation industry in India. Given a chance I would rename all of them to the primary metro areas that they serve.

Pretty much what I think too although this will never happen.
Also PNQ one of the few to escape the "naming" so far..

SimProgrammer

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 pm

In the 1990’s a British Politician wanted to rename LHR to:- Lady Diana Princess of Wales Airport.

Imagine hearing that on the cabin PA.
Drive a bus, an Airbus, easier than a London bus!

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:
Personally, I would like Stockholm's second airport NYO to Stockholm-Nyköping, rather its current name of Skavsta as it is confusing and a little difficult to non-Swedish-speakers to pronounce properly.

On the others, surely just having it with the name of the city, with the name of the local area or geographical point e.g. central or north is sufficient. Some of these named airports, just don't make sense as a traveller.

I'd rather drop the Stockholm part entirely, the same with Västerås (ESOW/VST).
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Seabear

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 pm

I concur with the previous post, DCA will always be "Washington National" to me. Drop the "Raygun", restore the airport to its proper name.

PI4EVER

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Seabear I am with you! No politics involved. Always was and always will be Washington National.
And don't mess with Gravelly Point.
watch what you want. you may get it.

sonicruiser

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:13 pm

FlyHPN wrote:

I laughed way too hard at this.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I'm not gonna lie, it sucks to know you'd have to die before an airport could be renamed. Imagine the torment of never knowing what airport got named after you.

smallmj wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

JFK = New Yorks airport

Would that make LGA = We would be New York's airport if they let us?

Is there some reason none of these airports use the blindingly obvious code of NYC? New York logic at its finest is when its not even there.

unrave wrote:

I'm pretty shocked DEL got named after Indira Gandhi. I'd go as far as to say she's by far the most controversial person to have an airport named after her. They could have named it after anyone else but they went with Indira probably because she was the first female PM of India without realizing that it actually does more damage than good. As the figure responsible for Bluestar, 71 War, and most infamously the emergency, it probably offends people even today, especially Sikhs living in the country.

In Pakistan, they named KHI after Jinnah and LHE after Allama Iqbal, both of which are arguably founders of Pakistan and thus both are easily the most respected and revered names in the country. ISB on the other hand was slightly controversial as it was named after Benazir Bhutto who while the first female PM of Pakistan was viewed as fairly corrupt. That said, after she was assassinated, she was viewed as a martyr and hence the airport was named after her. But when the new ISB opened, in an effort to remove the controversy, the name change was not carried over and the new airport is simply called "Islamabad International Airport." Both Benazir and Indira were the first female PM's of Pakistan and India respectively and both were assassinated but Benazir is far less polarizing today than Indira who is still one of the most controversial in Indian history. Benazir's biggest crime was being a very corrupt politician, many have argued Indira to be a murderer disguised as a PM. Considering how even Benazir was controversial enough in Pakistan to have the name removed, I'm shocked that a name as offensive as Indira was green lighted for DEL.

L410Turbolet

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 am

I just noticed that the Funchal airport (FNC) at Madeira is named after Cristiano Ronaldo... A guy who is still in his 30s famous for kicking a ball. That's just beyond ridiculous.

atcsundevil

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:29 am

PI4EVER wrote:
Seabear I am with you! No politics involved. Always was and always will be Washington National.
And don't mess with Gravelly Point.

Most people who have lived in DC for a while still (and will probably always) call it "National". I've noticed that the only people who call it "Reagan" either aren't from here, or they haven't lived here for that long. Personally, I don't think the name should have ever been changed. DCA is federally owned and highly political to begin with — I don't think it should have ever been named after any politician.

AntonioMartin

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:25 am

kruiseri wrote:
seemyseems wrote:

Liverpool John Lennon
Belfast George Best

AntonioMartin

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 am

[photoid][/photoid]
TWA772LR wrote:
EChid wrote:

And HEL(sinki) and SUX! :lol:

AntonioMartin

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:41 am

I actually wrote to the mayor of Ponce about this -and never got an answer-...they need to rename Mercedita Airport to Sor Isolina Ferre Airport...despite being filthy rich and the sister of a governor, Ms. Ferre chose to live most of her life at the Mercedita barrio, helping the poor there and the community. Perhaps mayor Melendez is hoping the airport gets renamed after HER instead??

spacecadet

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:39 am

Airports named to *memorialize* a person are generally fine. And I don't think you'd get very far telling New Yorkers you want to rename JFK at this point, for just one example. That name is ingrained. So is LGA, much as New Yorkers hate the airport itself.

But I thought George Bush Intercontinental was a little much, considering the guy was still alive when they named it that (and for quite a while afterward).

I really dislike Newark "Liberty" Airport's name. It always sound idiotic to me, naming an airport after a *concept*. And it sounds pompous when attached to an airport. It also hasn't really stuck; I don't know anyone who uses that name. Everyone still just says Newark Airport.

Generally I don't like airport names that are a combination of two different names, especially when they've taken the original name and just shoehorned some other name or word in there (like the aforementioned EWR). Usually this happens with places attached to proper names, but it can end up being two proper names together, like Reagan National Airport. It should be Reagan Airport *or* National Airport - pick one.

JFK Airport works because it is officially just John F. Kennedy International Airport, not New York JFK Airport or New York "Freedom" JFK Airport or some such nonsense.

My least favorite airport name of all time was probably "New Tokyo International Airport at Narita", which always reminded me of the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" baseball team - an equally ridiculous name - but even the officials there seemed to wise up to that eventually, and the official name now is just Narita International Airport.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

910A

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:17 am

Drop John Glenn name and let it be Port Columbus as that is a unique name like Sky Harbor.