braniff2hav
Topic Author

Continental Airlines gone for 7 years

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:38 pm

It's been 7 years since Continental Airlines merged into United - today, March 3rd.
If Continental would have not merged with United what would they look like today?
- would they have kept CLE as a hub?
- would they have added a west coast hub?
- would there have been branding or image changes?
- where would major network growth have occurred?
- would Airbus have been in their fleet by now or soon?
- what alliance would they have remained or left SkyTeam and joined Star anyway?
- would they be doing any point to point flying?

What would have become of Continental?

atcsundevil

Re: Continental Airlines gone for 7 years

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Because this is a poll/hypothetical thread, it has been moved to the Polls Forum.

✈️ atcsundevil

Austin787

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:47 pm

Continental switched from SkyTeam to Star Alliance before the merger, so they would have been in Star.

atcsundevil

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:57 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
It's been 7 years since Continental Airlines merged into United - today, March 3rd.
If Continental would have not merged with United what would they look like today?
- would they have kept CLE as a hub?
- would they have added a west coast hub?
- would there have been branding or image changes?
- where would major network growth have occurred?
- would Airbus have been in their fleet by now or soon?
- what alliance would they have remained or left SkyTeam and joined Star anyway?
- would they be doing any point to point flying?

What would have become of Continental?

I'll take a stab..

I think they would have kept CLE to continue as a EWR reliever, but it would have primarily been an RJ centered hub. Things were trending that way before the merger anyway.

They would have needed to consider a west coast hub to be competitive with DL and the merged AA/US, not to mention UA and even B6. LAX would have been the logical choice, but it's obviously very competitive, so they would have had a tough time.

I don't think they would have been any major branding changes.

I think they would have concentrated their growth at IAH as the economy strengthened. Their Central/South America network was strong, it was (and still is) a fortress hub, it's centrally located, and it's in a city with a rapidly growing population. EWR would have mostly been for int'l expansion.

There's no way Airbus would have joined the fleet. They'd been pretty solidly Boeing for quite a long time. I think they would have concentrated their widebody fleet around the 772 and 788/789/78X, but they'd still be a relatively small player internationally, apart from their Central/South America network. Domestically, it would have been all about the 737MAX. They had a relatively simple fleet before the merger, so apart from modernizing the fleet — something that had been important to them for several years prior to 2010 — I don't think that would have changed. There would have been a definite effort at scope expansion to bring E175s into the fleet; having the jet scope limited to 50 seaters and the prop scope limited to the DH8D would have been a major disadvantage as the years went by.

I thought they joined Star prior to the merger anyway? I think they would have proceeded with that regardless, because UA's network always complemented CO. There wasn't a great deal of cooperation between CO and DL, so remaining in SkyTeam would have been pointless.

I don't think there would have been any point to point flying...they were built pretty solidly around hub-and-spoke, and present day UA hasn't deviated from that.

tpaewr

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:19 pm

LAX was already getting a 737 and 787 base on the eve of the merger. So it was going to be there.

LH658

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:03 am

Probably would have saw IAH - FCO, DXB, BOM, DEL
EWR - would still be flying to Denmark, Swedeen, Norway, DXB, CAI.

strfyr51

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:17 am

CO jumped into the merger with their OWN ideas but they realy didn't pan out as they thought too provincially. What they did seemed to work fir their operation and it appeared to have been working pretty well. That it didn't work for the combined operation? A matter of how you looked at it. I saw it as a bunch of guys who were over their heads and out of their operational element. They knew what they knew which seemed to be all they WANTED to know.
But? There was so much more they didn't have a CLUE about and they were faking it. So It was no wonder why the vast majority of their managers "Bit the Dust" at United and were replaced by guys from American and Northwest who are running United as if they want to spit in the eye of Both American and Delta. And to date? They seem to be doing just that.. I'm retired now but when I do fly? The airplanes look pretty Sweet and well maintained. So my hat is off to them because I do Look and I call my pals still in Maintenance Control if I see something that might well cause a problem.

TWA772LR

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:24 am

I think CO/AS would've been a slam dunk. With VX and SY top offs to be stronger in the Bay area to give UA/US competition (that wouldve happened instead of UA/CO and US/AA) and to gain a northern midcon hub in MSP.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

IPFreely

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:46 am

Given Continental's massive debt at the time of the merger, why isn't bankrupt with assets sold to pay creditors an option?

strfyr51

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:49 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I think CO/AS would've been a slam dunk. With VX and SY top offs to be stronger in the Bay area to give UA/US competition (that wouldve happened instead of UA/CO and US/AA) and to gain a northern midcon hub in MSP.

That might have been so except that United was an already Global airline and that appeared to Jeff Smisek and Company to be a BIGGER feather!. They did try though,
and they would have remained there Except the United BOD didn't see the potential and started replacing them with new Blood from Northwest and American, Which by all accounts? Seems to be working There were some competent guys from CO and you may see them again at other Major airlines. I would hope so,,

braniff2hav
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Given Continental's massive debt at the time of the merger, why isn't bankrupt with assets sold to pay creditors an option?

I suppose it could be an option, if it were true.

evank516

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Austin787 wrote:
Continental switched from SkyTeam to Star Alliance before the merger, so they would have been in Star.

It was a precursor to the merger though IIRC. I don't think they would have made the switch if they hadn't been in talks with UA. CO had a tie to NW (which was in SkyTeam), which I believe transferred over to DL which is why CO was in SkyTeam.