EA CO AS
Topic Author

Could AS + B6 = rebrand as "National Airlines" ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:38 am

Hear me out:

Two unique carriers, each dominating their respective coasts. One offers up the east coast, Florida, and the Caribbean. The other offers up the west coast, California, Hawaii, and Mexico. Both are trying to reach beyond those coasts, into the middle of the nation, and further beyond.

So if they were to ever get together, and if rebranding were in the cards, would the National Airlines brand, with the Sun King logo, be a good identity for the combined entity?

Discuss...

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NameOmitted

Re: Could AS + B6 = rebrand as "National Airlines" ?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:44 am

Right now, there are two brands that are strong in their respective areas. Why give that up for a third brand that's not been in prominence for 30 years...

You know, unless the brand is PanAm. :bouncy:

CARST

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 am

NameOmitted wrote:
Right now, there are two brands that are strong in their respective areas. Why give that up for a third brand that's not been in prominence for 30 years...

I agree, thats the ONLY brand worth bringing back to the market. People would love it.

Even if Alaska and JetBlue would only go into a partnership and not merge fully, branding as PanAm Alaska Devision and PanAm JetBlue/Atlantic division, that would be awesome.

(That's a real bad photoshop image.)

BRING BACK THE GLOBE !!!

intotheair

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:58 am

Please. We don't need to exhume dead airlines anymore. The world moves on from the past.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:16 am

JetAmerica. Just sayin'...
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

AntonioMartin

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:22 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
JetAmerica. Just sayin'...

LOL...or Family Airlines?

AntonioMartin

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:23 am

Well, the name National Airlines' already in use....

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:26 am

AntonioMartin wrote:

And I'm sure it could be had for a price.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting this could or even should happen, but throwing out there as a "What if?" branding scenario, bringing two unique carriers together.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LAXBUR

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:41 am

Meh. If they ever merge just keep one of the names. Everyone loses it that Alaska flies outside of Alaska, but don’t seem to care Southwest flies everywhere in the US now or WestJet flies outside of Western Canada. JetBlue has the more “adaptable” name but a lot of people would be sad to see the Alaska brand disappear. Hard to say what would happen. I don’t know if bringing back an old brand would help any.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:43 am

EA CO AS wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting this could or even should happen, but throwing out there as a "What if?" branding scenario, bringing two unique carriers together.

I guess I'm a bit jaded but I think other things will go down before AS/B6 are able to link. I think B6 is more at risk of a takeover by virtue of their slot positions in the northeast as well as their thorn-in-the-side transcon product. I believe ScottB suggested WN might take them out, and I'd certainly say they or UA are possible before a link with AS could happen.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Yossarian22

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:58 am

I’m not really sure what the value is, for young people who don’t know much about aviation history (most people), the name means nothing, for people old enough to remember National Airlines, the memories may not be super positive.

LaunchDetected

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 am

To pursue in the incongruous: my vote is for Norwegian Air United States.
Caravelle lover

ctrabs0114

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:02 pm

Is there any airline that isn't rumored to be merging with B6? The way things are going, B6 will merge with some combination of AS/NK/G4/F9/SY before the expanded B6 is bought out by DL, a fully-independent subsidiary of WN/AA, and the new mega-airline adopts a HP/NW/CO combined branding to put UA out of business. (Did I leave anyone out?) 'Merica Worst Airlines, anyone?

In other words: can we PLEASE leave well enough alone and slow our collective rolls on merging B6?
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

Cointrin330

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:17 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

I guess I'm a bit jaded but I think other things will go down before AS/B6 are able to link. I think B6 is more at risk of a takeover by virtue of their slot positions in the northeast as well as their thorn-in-the-side transcon product. I believe ScottB suggested WN might take them out, and I'd certainly say they or UA are possible before a link with AS could happen.

Agreed that B6 is more likely to be a takeover candidate than a real merger partner. B6 has market share in a number of key cities, but it is the least profitable of the largest US carriers. I just don't see UA making a big for B6. Too much overlap in the New York Area with UA's big EWR hub and UA is not known for pulling off well coordinated mergers and integration. I also see no reason for WN to acquire B6. The A321/A320/A220/E190 fleets would introduce a lot of operational complexities and WN does not operate like a network carrier. I just don't see what WN gets by taking over B6. DL would also face problems acquiring B6 though it would love to get its hands on the Airbus fleet. The one airline I see taking out B6 is American Airlines, which in the Northeast and in the transcontinental market from the Northeast has lost a lot of ground thanks to B6 and its cost structure. American's DNA is to acquire medium and small sized airlines to take out competitors and remove inefficiencies (inefficiencies for AA that is). It would get a stronger footing at JFK and BOS, making AA a more robust competitor in the broader NYC market. It would likely have to agree to divest slots at FLL which it probably doesn't want anyway, with MIA just down I-95. I just do not see B6 with that much more room to grow.

Fex180

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:38 pm

CARST wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

I agree, thats the ONLY brand worth bringing back to the market. People would love it.

Even if Alaska and JetBlue would only go into a partnership and not merge fully, branding as PanAm Alaska Devision and PanAm JetBlue/Atlantic division, that would be awesome.

(That's a real bad photoshop image.)

BRING BACK THE GLOBE !!!

I believe the Pan Am brand and naming rights are owned by a railroad in Maine / Massachusetts. I don't know what that would mean legally for a revival of the airline name.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:51 pm

intotheair wrote:
Please. We don't need to exhume dead airlines anymore. The world moves on from the past.

And any goodwill that those names had died in the death throws of the carriers, or with the people who flew them four decades ago. Do you see an auto company trying to revive the brand DeSoto?

airtrantpa

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:56 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Is there any airline that isn't rumored to be merging with B6? The way things are going, B6 will merge with some combination of AS/NK/G4/F9/SY before the expanded B6 is bought out by DL, a fully-independent subsidiary of WN/AA, and the new mega-airline adopts a HP/NW/CO combined branding to put UA out of business. (Did I leave anyone out?) 'Merica Worst Airlines, anyone?

In other words: can we PLEASE leave well enough alone and slow our collective rolls on merging B6?

Best post of the thread here
AVL my new Hometown airport! Farewell TPA

CLTDAL

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 pm

If you look back at USAir....they are where JetBlue is now. The name "USAir" was too "regional" sounding. So to become more of a dominant "world Class airline", they rebranded to US Airways. I beleive JetBlue needs to tweek their brand/imge just a bit to market themselves as a true International airline and new entrant Legacy carrier if they plan to fly overseas to London, etc. I guess bring back the Airways on the fuselage? Or paint certain aircraft that fly to Europe, JetBlue Europe? JetAmericaINternational ( JAI) ?? Or take an old name and copyrights and rebrand. They also need to put next to the boarding door or on the fuselage " Shuttle" for those planes that operate on the "new hourly service to BOS/NY/DC". They are dabbling on that fine line of crossing over to become a Legacy. Hop on over JB!!

afcjets

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 pm

I think it’s a great name and brand, except it’s too close to Nationalist, and that word has been hijacked to now mean racist to many people. I doubt National Car Rental is going to change their name over it, but no one is going to rebrand to this name anytime soon IMO.

afcjets

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Also I am not sure the sunshine logo works with hubs in JFK, BOS, ANC, SEA, and their not really a hub in PDX. Oh wait I forgot about SJU and MCO.

hiflyeras

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm

AA, DL, UA and WN would like nothing more than to kill off AS and B6. AS is in for a fight from the west coast to Hawaii. B6 is in a fight in BOS (much like AS was in SEA when DL decided to go big) and DL/AA at JFK. Both are battling low yields on transcon flights with shallower pockets than their competitors. All it would take is for the economy to go south and these two are going to be in a lot of hurt...maybe B6 more so than AS. AS can retrench somewhat to their home turf of the west coast and has more money in the bank. B6 sounds like they're going big to London and Amsterdam right at the same time that DL wants to kill them off. Grab your popcorn.

Moosefire

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:33 pm

CLTDAL wrote:
If you look back at USAir....they are where JetBlue is now. The name "USAir" was too "regional" sounding. So to become more of a dominant "world Class airline", they rebranded to US Airways. I beleive JetBlue needs to tweek their brand/imge just a bit to market themselves as a true International airline and new entrant Legacy carrier if they plan to fly overseas to London, etc. I guess bring back the Airways on the fuselage? Or paint certain aircraft that fly to Europe, JetBlue Europe? JetAmericaINternational ( JAI) ?? Or take an old name and copyrights and rebrand. They also need to put next to the boarding door or on the fuselage " Shuttle" for those planes that operate on the "new hourly service to BOS/NY/DC". They are dabbling on that fine line of crossing over to become a Legacy. Hop on over JB!!

More and more, JetBlue reminds me of USAIr
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

IAmGaroott

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:52 pm

I’m surprised SY doesn’t get more grief about needing a partner.

B6 is fine and unless Europe bankrupts them, I don’t see their fortune changing for at least another 5 years.

jfklganyc

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Only if they want to go out of business

By the way that new Pan Am paint scheme on the 73 is beautiful

jfklganyc

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Moosefire wrote:
CLTDAL wrote:

More and more, JetBlue reminds me of USAIr

One distinction they would have to lose buckets of money to be USAir

madpropsyo

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:19 pm

I think the only way a merger like this makes sense is if the combined entity is prepared to immediately make huge investments in a QX style regional network across the east coast and also connect AS’s Midwest service to B6’s network. Sure, B6’s network would gain a huge amount of utility by tapping into to AS’s regional network on the west coast, but B6 doesn’t offer much more utility to AS passengers that they don’t already have. AS serves virtually all of B6’s big east coast cities with non stops, and I’d imagine most secondary cities are offered by AS through codeshares. The Caribbean destinations would add something but I would think folks on the west coast would probably just opt to go to Hawaii anyway.

I just find it tough to imagine Wall Street buying off on both a big merger/acquisition and major ramp up in operations simultaneously. I’m also not sure either airline has the finances to handle both a merger and expansion.
Last edited by madpropsyo on Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aptivaboy

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Whatever the merits of the idea, I will say that that 737 render is absolutely stunning.

william

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:24 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Hear me out:

Two unique carriers, each dominating their respective coasts. One offers up the east coast, Florida, and the Caribbean. The other offers up the west coast, California, Hawaii, and Mexico. Both are trying to reach beyond those coasts, into the middle of the nation, and further beyond.

So if they were to ever get together, and if rebranding were in the cards, would the National Airlines brand, with the Sun King logo, be a good identity for the combined entity?

Discuss...

I like it. 8-)

emuwarveteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:27 pm

So are we going back to the age of airlines constantly merging with each other?
CL CRJ9, W6 A320

DarthLobster

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:33 pm

A little early for April Fools....

Why would two modern, recognized brands give up their identities to take on a largely-forgotten brand with a very generic sounding (and currently in-use) name? Also, I really wish this AS+B6 crap would stop. The AS+VX merger was difficult enough, adding B6 to AS would ruin everything the latter has built and replace it with the faulty LCC attitude that has made B6 an operational and customer service pariah. Let B6 blend with the ULCCs like nature intended.

More logical would be for AS to buy HA and wrestle the “Western” name from DL if things went that route. AS and B6 would be like Tom Hanks marrying Courtney Love.

stlgph

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:43 pm

emuwarveteran wrote:
So are we going back to the age of airlines constantly merging with each other?

It's never gone away.

We've had entire dissertations about how JetBlue should merge with Moxy.

You know, the airline that doesn't even exist.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

atcsundevil

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Please keep the thread on topic. Nobody is forcing anyone to participate in this discussion. If you aren't interested, then don't post.

✈️ atcsundevil

blueheronNC

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:57 pm

CLTDAL wrote:

Delta is pretty regional sounding (being named after the Mississippi Delta and all) except that hasn't held them back at all.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:01 pm

I would prefer a strong inter-line agreement, and then support for regional airlines that would give thin coverage to those places not served by AS/B6. This could include some common marketing emphasizing the new comprehensive coverage of North and Central America, and Hawaii. Both FF miles would be handled ala WN, and generally all seats open. The two airlines could still compete on flights between major cities. But even there, time flights to improve schedule from a customers' point of view.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:11 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I would prefer a strong inter-line agreement, and then support for regional airlines that would give thin coverage to those places not served by AS/B6. This could include some common marketing emphasizing the new comprehensive coverage of North and Central America, and Hawaii. Both FF miles would be handled ala WN, and generally all seats open. The two airlines could still compete on flights between major cities. But even there, time flights to improve schedule from a customers' point of view.

To be clear, if anything, this is what I’d see happening as well; a comprehensive codeshare agreement across both airline networks, reciprocal FF and lounge benefits, etc. I’m not eager to see either brand disappear, either. This was really more of a “What if?” hypothetical branding exercise.

ddye123

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Why do we always have to pick one name? Let's respect the heritage of each airline. I suggest Blue Alaska Virgin :rotfl:

727LOVER

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:19 pm

AS is in T7 correct?. So if BA is moving to T8, wouldn't that free up some gates for AS in T7? Maybe they could expand from there @ JFK
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:26 pm

EA CO AS - and I think you are right that having truly national coverage should be branded - Pan Am sounds good. Both airlines should look and see if they were generally a quarter/half step better than WN in Y (alternately reasonably priced Y+). The step ups would not have to be the same. Pitch, meals, FF miles, lounge service could vary. Cooperation intensive after major weather or other aviation stoppages.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

flybynight

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:03 pm

From a name perspective, I like Blue Alaska.

I am curious, though, if AS would be even able buy JetBlue so soon after Virgin.

Seems to me that AS has its hands full with Virgin still.

Now it seems like a good match with JetBlue being strong on the east coast and AS just the opposite.

Two pieces of a puzzle that fit well
Heia Norge!

ricport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:37 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
AA, DL, UA and WN would like nothing more than to kill off AS and B6. AS is in for a fight from the west coast to Hawaii. B6 is in a fight in BOS (much like AS was in SEA when DL decided to go big) and DL/AA at JFK. Both are battling low yields on transcon flights with shallower pockets than their competitors. All it would take is for the economy to go south and these two are going to be in a lot of hurt...maybe B6 more so than AS. AS can retrench somewhat to their home turf of the west coast and has more money in the bank. B6 sounds like they're going big to London and Amsterdam right at the same time that DL wants to kill them off. Grab your popcorn.

You forgot NK's continued growth at BWI, which could have an effect on WN's (non) hub there.

gmcc

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:08 pm

I think Bi costal airlines would be a better and more accurate name to describe what the combine airline would be. If you want to travel to, from or up and down either coast they would have you covered other than that, not so much.

KentB27

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:13 pm

God I hope not. That would be incredibly lame to lose an iconic carrier like Alaska to an airline called National. Bleh! I just threw up in my mouth a little bit! Airports on the west coast and Alaska would be so dreary without those cheerful smiling Eskimos.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:53 pm

KentB27 wrote:
God I hope not. That would be incredibly lame to lose an iconic carrier like Alaska to an airline called National. Bleh! I just threw up in my mouth a little bit! Airports on the west coast and Alaska would be so dreary without those cheerful smiling Eskimos.

Personally, I think the Alaska Airlines brand would work just fine for a hypothetical AS/B6 combined entity, but that’s me.

747Whale

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Hear me out:

Discuss...

In the meantime, what are you going to do with the actual existing National Airlines (and National Air Cargo)?

https://www.nationalairlines.com/about

NameOmitted

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 pm

747Whale wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Hear me out:

Discuss...

In the meantime, what are you going to do with the actual existing National Airlines (and National Air Cargo)?

https://www.nationalairlines.com/about

Let's call them Goldstreak.

AtomicGarden

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:15 am

flybynight wrote:
From a name perspective, I like Blue Alaska

I prefer Alaska Blue. B.A. sounds like sushi to me.

BTW the logo could be a winner if there was a spear running thru it ;)

unbowed, unbent, unbroken, ...uncanny
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

n7371f

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:45 am

Interesting idea...National logo always one of the best but it does invoke Florida (I'm old enough).

ExpatVet

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:38 pm

blueheronNC wrote:

Delta is pretty regional sounding (being named after the Mississippi Delta and all) except that hasn't held them back at all.

Well knock me down with a feather. I had no idea that's why they called it that. I just figured it was a generic name that offended nobody that got thought up in a merger or something.
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.