717atOGG
Topic Author

Connecting through ATL in July - risk of thunderstorms?

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:58 am

Hi all,

I'm going to take a trip from SEA to BWI this summer, and due to inconveniently timed nonstops on this route, I'm 90% sure that I'd take DL on the westbound leg, connecting in ATL. My flight from SEA lands at about 7:20 am, and my BWI flight leaves at 9:40 am. I haven't ever connected through ATL, and I'm not nearly as nervous about navigating the airport as I am about the possibility of thunderstorms, since I don't want to be delayed. Are thunderstorms common at this time of day in ATL during July, and if so, does it affect flight operations very much?

Thanks in advance for your help and insights, it's much appreciated.
Long live the Boeing 757!

WPvsMW

Re: Connecting through ATL in July - risk of thunderstorms?

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:57 am

Yes. Very common. Check historical WX on a WX site.

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:10 am

There is a reasonable chance of thunderstorms, but from what I understood operations are hardly disrupted by it. They got experience with thunderstorms and know how to handle it. There's chance of some small delays, but nothing major.

However, are you sure there are no conveniently timed nonstops on this route? Alaska Airlines has a red-eyes flight that should take you there faster than Delta through Atlanta.

Airstud

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 am

Dude.

In the summertime there's an equivalent risk of thunderstorms at BWI anyway.

Prepare for delays the way any traveler should always prepare for delays (snacks, books, puzzles) - they can occur for any reason, ever.
Pancakes are delicious.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Thunderstorms are very common in July, but they are much more common in the afternoon and evening. Your odds at the hours you will be there probably aren't much higher than at other times of the year. I'd be more worried about BWI later in the day.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

IPFreely

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:52 pm

717atOGG wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to take a trip from SEA to BWI this summer, and due to inconveniently timed nonstops on this route, I'm 90% sure that I'd take DL on the westbound leg, connecting in ATL. My flight from SEA lands at about 7:20 am, and my BWI flight leaves at 9:40 am.

There are conveniently timed nonstops on this route. Both Spirit and Alaska have red-eye SEA-BWI flights that leave SEA within an hour of the Delta red-eye flight to ATL. Obviously the nonstops arrive in BWI several hours before any connecting flights. And they're cheaper than any connecting flights, at least if you book them now for July. So you're obviously trying to make some kind of a point about ATL. What is it?

717atOGG
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm well aware that AS, NK, and WN have nonstops, I've taken the AS and WN daylight ones multiple times, but a 5-6 am arrival is too early for me since I'm taking an airporter to my final destination. Likewise, the 4:15 pm (it used to arrive at 3:30) arrival on the morning Alaska nonstop won't work for me since it arrives 15 minutes before the airporter would leave. Hence, an 11:40 am arrival into BWI works best for me. Oh yeah, and I also want to catch a ride on a MD-88 before they're all retired. :crossfingers:

Thanks again for your help.
Long live the Boeing 757!

IPFreely

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:19 pm

717atOGG wrote:
I'm well aware that AS, NK, and WN have nonstops, I've taken the AS and WN daylight ones multiple times, but a 5-6 am arrival is too early for me since I'm taking an airporter to my final destination.

If you take the red eye nonstop you’re going to be sitting and waiting in BWI. If you take the red eye connection you’re going to be sitting and waiting in ATL. Seems like the same thing except the connection greatly increases the chance of a delay and/or a lost bag.

e38

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:54 am

717atOGG, yes, thunderstorms are common in Atlanta in the summer, but more often in the afternoon; not in the morning.
But more importantly, check out Delta’s frequency of flights between ATL and BWI. If you should miss the flight at 9:40 a.m. due to weather, there are probably 8 or 9 more flights during the day that they could put you on.
My position on this is that your proposed itinerary would be characterized as “low risk” in terms of a missed connection due to weather.
e38

PatrickZ80

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:57 am

IPFreely wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
I'm well aware that AS, NK, and WN have nonstops, I've taken the AS and WN daylight ones multiple times, but a 5-6 am arrival is too early for me since I'm taking an airporter to my final destination.

If you take the red eye nonstop you’re going to be sitting and waiting in BWI. If you take the red eye connection you’re going to be sitting and waiting in ATL. Seems like the same thing except the connection greatly increases the chance of a delay and/or a lost bag.

I agree, it doesn't matter if you spend that time waiting in Washington or in Atlanta. You spend it waiting anyway. However by adding a stop in Atlanta you add more risk to your flight, and for what? Waiting might be boring, but at least it's safe.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:11 am

"You can set your watch by them" I was told at Atlanta airport by a Delta employee. They know what to do, how to do it, and we travelers just need to take a deep breath, watch it pass through, and then get on with our flights. All will be taken care of.