Cointrin330
Topic Author

DFW-SYD vs. LAX/SFO-SYD

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Am booking travel for a few weeks from now and have the option of flying to SYD via DFW. Am P/E with AA and have to connect from another city (NYC). The direct QF flight from JFK isn't available on the date I need to go. Have flown via LAX a few times and connected onto the A380 and 747-400 and it is almost always a chaotic experience. I did fly via SFO late last year, and despite the terminal switch, it wasn't terrible. What are people's thoughts on the DFW-SYD option? Anyone done it?

DLPMMM

Re: DFW-SYD vs. LAX/SFO-SYD

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Connecting in DFW is easy.

The flight will leave from D concourse.

No matter which concourse you arrive at from NYC, the sky train (or whatever they call it) is quick and simple. There is an AA lounge, a QF lounge (I think shared) and an AmeX lounge if you qualify.

Enjoy!

Galwayman

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Maybe go the other direction with the ME3 for a better experience in all classes .... any transfer at a US airport will be a bit third world unfortunately

chunhimlai

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:40 pm

How about connect via NRT/ICN/HKG?

jfk777

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Anything closer to the east coast is better then LAX. DFW is only 3 hours from NYC.

DLPMMM

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Maybe go the other direction with the ME3 for a better experience in all classes .... any transfer at a US airport will be a bit third world unfortunately

I personally found DXB to be a far less inviting place to transfer than DFW. I also did not care for EK’s cramped J class and their food menu was not to my tastes (don’t care for Indian and Med. food).

Have you ever been to DFW’s D concourse?

FriscoHeavy

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Galwayman wrote:

Transferring at DFW is anything but third-world. You transfer inside of security and head over to Terminal D, which is a very nice and spacious terminal.

Wrong analogy here, my friend.
Whatever

DTWLAX

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Have flown via LAX a few times and connected onto the A380 and 747-400 and it is almost always a chaotic experience.

LAX can be crowded and chaotic if you are switching terminals. But the AA terminal (T4) and TBIT are connected airside so you do not have to clear security and TBIT is a nice terminal.

masgniw

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:24 pm

AA to the Int’l terminal is extremely easy. TBIT and T4 are connected via airside bridge that takes 3 minutes to walk and has nice views of the airfield. I’m not sure why people are being so pessimistic about a transfer there.

B747forever

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:52 pm

As others have already said, T4 and TBIT are connected airside, so no need to go through security again. I would rather go via LAX because it divides the trip better. A 15 hour segment is long enough, so why go via DFW and fly 17 hours? Furthermore, by going via LAX it gives you more rebooking options to get to Australia the same evening in case of a missed connection or cancellation.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Going through the Middle East is not an option. Appreciate the insights on the DFW connections.

J343

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 pm

I would personally choose CX/JL via HKG or NRT. AA via LAX isn't bad either. I really enjoyed AA PEY, I found the product to be miles better than SQ, it's a shame the FAs ruin the whole experience.

Enjoy your trip!

csturdiv

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:03 am

I vote DFW, as said in the first reply, it is so easy. Just get on one of the automated trains to the terminal and that is it. I've done itva few times and loved it, no stress or pain. Connections through LAX, stress and pain.

I'm doing SYD-DFW again in July. But on my return leg I opted SFO-SYD to get maybe one last 744 flight. My final destination in the US is ORD by the way.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

alggag

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:16 am

Connected through LAX a few weeks ago onward to SYD and I would definitely go with DFW if I were to do it all over again. Like the others said, less stress and less hectic going through DFW.

masgniw

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:33 am

csturdiv wrote:
I vote DFW, as said in the first reply, it is so easy. Just get on one of the automated trains to the terminal and that is it. I've done itva few times and loved it, no stress or pain. Connections through LAX, stress and pain.

I'm doing SYD-DFW again in July. But on my return leg I opted SFO-SYD to get maybe one last 744 flight. My final destination in the US is ORD by the way.

alggag wrote:
Connected through LAX a few weeks ago onward to SYD and I would definitely go with DFW if I were to do it all over again. Like the others said, less stress and less hectic going through DFW.

What's with the hand wringing and LAX? AA to international is one terminal away and a <5 min walk.

aklrno

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 am

Not just one terminal away, but all inside security. No TSA. No train ride, no level changes except for a slight ramp.

csturdiv

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:30 am

masgniw wrote:
csturdiv wrote:

alggag wrote:

What's with the hand wringing and LAX? AA to international is one terminal away and a <5 min walk.

For me, DFW is much easier for much of my final destination, either RSW or EVV. One flight out of DFW. If I go to LAX, that would be two flights, which is not what I want. But I've flown via LAX and DFW, and DFW is much easier for transit.

B747forever

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:16 am

csturdiv wrote:
masgniw wrote:
csturdiv wrote:

alggag wrote:

For me, DFW is much easier for much of my final destination, either RSW or EVV. One flight out of DFW. If I go to LAX, that would be two flights, which is not what I want. But I've flown via LAX and DFW, and DFW is much easier for transit.

When was the last time you connected between AA/QF at LAX? Don’t get how DFW is easier than LAX when T4/TBIT are next to each other and now connected airside.
Work Hard, Fly Right

csturdiv

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:38 am

B747forever wrote:
csturdiv wrote:
masgniw wrote:

For me, DFW is much easier for rmuch of my final destination, either RSW or EVV. One flight out of DFW. If I go to LAX, that would be two flights, which is not what I want. But I've flown via LAX and DFW, and DFW is much easier for transit.

When was the last time you connected between AA/QF at LAX? Don’t get how DFW is easier than LAX when T4/TBIT are next to each other and now connected airside.

Last December. DFW is much easier. Sorry if you do not see it, but it is what I see. And what I see from other American expats here in Australia, they also prefer DFW over LAX. This is commonly brought up in a group I am a member of.

CarlosSi

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:42 am

From a different perspective being a 40 minute flight from DFW, I personally don’t mind connections as it’s like having a trip within a trip. There’s something more exciting for me about flying to California to go across the pacific than DFW; like there’s more “suspense” building to the arrival to your destination than just “get on this one plane and you’ll instantly be at your destination on the other side”...... BUT that’s just me. Fare price is important. All depends if you like to stretch your trip and see places along the way or if you just want to get somewhere as soon as possible. If I were in NYC I suppose it wouldn’t matter as much since DFW may seem “exotic” enough to someone from the Northeast.

masgniw

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:07 am

csturdiv wrote:
B747forever wrote:
csturdiv wrote:

For me, DFW is much easier for rmuch of my final destination, either RSW or EVV. One flight out of DFW. If I go to LAX, that would be two flights, which is not what I want. But I've flown via LAX and DFW, and DFW is much easier for transit.

Last December. DFW is much easier. Sorry if you do not see it, but it is what I see. And what I see from other American expats here in Australia, they also prefer DFW over LAX. This is commonly brought up in a group I am a member of.

But which US carrier are you flying when you connect at LAX?

csturdiv

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:43 am

masgniw wrote:
csturdiv wrote:
B747forever wrote:

AA. But for me, the fact of the matter DFW is both easier to transit through and more convenient as DFW offers a non-stop flight to where I need to go. LAX does not offer that, with any carrier.

masgniw

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:51 am

csturdiv wrote:
masgniw wrote:
csturdiv wrote:

AA. But for me, the fact of the matter DFW is both easier to transit through and more convenient as DFW offers a non-stop flight to where I need to go. LAX does not offer that, with any carrier.

Ah. Where are you headed?

csturdiv

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:47 am

masgniw wrote:
csturdiv wrote:
masgniw wrote:

Either RSW or EVV. This July I'm going through DFW again to ORD.

masgniw

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:33 pm

csturdiv wrote:
masgniw wrote:
csturdiv wrote:

Oh yea well if you're going to RSW or EVV that makes sense...but ORD...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

csturdiv

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 am

masgniw wrote:
csturdiv wrote:
masgniw wrote:

Oh yea well if you're going to RSW or EVV that makes sense...but ORD...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Easier transit and less hassle as stated before. AA makes it easy to get to ORD from DFW and it's a shorter flight than from LAX.

masgniw

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:21 am

csturdiv wrote:
masgniw wrote:
csturdiv wrote:

Easier transit and less hassle as stated before. AA makes it easy to get to ORD from DFW and it's a shorter flight than from LAX.

But there are 12 LAX-ORD and 12 DFW-ORD flights. And the flight from LAX-ORD 1.5 longer than DFW-ORD, but the SYD-DFW is 1.5 longer than SYD-LAX...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

csturdiv

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:07 am

Once again, I prefer DFW as my entry point into the US. It is much easier than LAX. An old colleague from the Chicago office is in Sydney now, he chose to go through DFW as well as its much easier to transit through. Your constant restating meaningless stats to me is not going to change my perception of that hell hole of an airport. DFW is hands down the better choice for me and what I want. I'd rather have a longer flight and little to no stress at DFW than a shortet flight and a helluva lot of stress at LAX.

masgniw

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm

csturdiv wrote:
Once again, I prefer DFW as my entry point into the US. It is much easier than LAX. An old colleague from the Chicago office is in Sydney now, he chose to go through DFW as well as its much easier to transit through. Your constant restating meaningless stats to me is not going to change my perception of that hell hole of an airport. DFW is hands down the better choice for me and what I want. I'd rather have a longer flight and little to no stress at DFW than a shortet flight and a helluva lot of stress at LAX.

Stats aren’t meaningless — you misappropriated them to bolster your logic.

If you just have a subjective bias against LAX, that’s 100% ok with me. Just be honest about it and don’t twist the facts to make them agree with you.

aeromoe

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm

aklrno wrote:
Not just one terminal away, but all inside security. No TSA. No train ride, no level changes except for a slight ramp.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Austin787

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 am

In P/E, do NYC-DFW-SYD so you spend more time in the nicer seat and less time in a regular Y seat.

If in Business or First class, do JFK-LAX/SFO-SYD. You get flat bed the entire journey.