Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA7295
Topic Author

Why don't Australian/NZ airlines join TSA PreCheck?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 pm

I find it so odd that neither Qantas, Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand or Jetstar are members of the TSA PreCheck program. https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines

Given that some really small airlines (Air Serbia, Aruba Airlines) are part of the program and QF is one of the larger foreign carriers flying into the US, does it have something to do with laws perhaps in Australia/NZ?

I'm essentially looking for a reason why.

Wednesdayite

Re: Why don't Australian/NZ airlines join TSA PreCheck?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Guessing cost. Airlines need to align their reservation systems with Federal Systems.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

aklrno

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:45 am

I have considered a work-around for the times I fly on NZ out of LAX or SFO. I could buy a ticket for some flight later that day on WN. Any valid boarding pass for the day will get you into any terminal. I always get precheck on WN. Then, since WN will allow me to cancel the flight and get the full fare credited to my account, I just cancel the WN flight as soon as I get through TSA. i will probably try this next month. Even the premium ticket TSA line at LAX TBIT is a horror. Instead I'll just go through TSA precheck at T4. Even the passenger drop-off at T4 is better!

janders

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:23 am

Maybe because Australia and NZ don't share data with the US? Neither nation is listed as a participant with DHS for trusted travel information.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

eta unknown

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am

janders wrote:
Maybe because Australia and NZ don't share data with the US? Neither nation is listed as a participant with DHS for trusted travel information.

Yet USA/Canada/UK/Australia/NZ all share significant immigration info. Google "Five Eyes".

With regards to the OP question, I would guess the answer is cost as pointed out by a poster above.

AA7295
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 pm

eta unknown wrote:
janders wrote:

Yet USA/Canada/UK/Australia/NZ all share significant immigration info. Google "Five Eyes".

With regards to the OP question, I would guess the answer is cost as pointed out by a poster above.

Yes can't be data share; Australia/NZ and the US share about as much as you can get. Taxes, bank accounts, security, intelligence, the whole lot.

If it's just cost, surely QF/VA/NZ can afford it. I find it hard to believe Air Serbia could warrant it but QF cant?

LAXintl

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Does seem odd though that neither Australia or New Zealand are available on the DHS country drop-down menu regarding joining trusted traveler programs.

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Wednesdayite

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:35 pm

With regard to Air Serbia, there’s massive competition on routes between Europe and the U.S. - which could lead to airlines adopting any (perceived) advantage they can.

Between the U.S. and Australia/NZ there’s far less competition, so possibly less incentive to sign up.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN