sovietjet
Topic Author

Transferring flights at MUC, enough time?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:28 pm

I have a question about transferring flights at MUC. I am flying Barcelona BCN to Chicago ORD via MUC. Currently I have a flight coming in from Barcelona to MUC with Vueling arriving at 09:10. My flight to Chicago is with United departing at 11:40. Will I have enough time for the transfer? The reason I ask is that the itinerary is not connected, and I have a checked bag. So I need to get my bag after the Vueling flight, walk across to the other terminal, re-check it for the flight to Chicago, and go through security again. Is the time enough for this?

PatrickZ80

Re: Transferring flights at MUC, enough time?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 pm

If all flights are on time, then yes. However Vueling could be a problem as they're often delayed, therefor I wouldn't take any chances.

I don't know when you'll be flying, but American has a seasonal non-stop Barcelona - Chicago flight and this summer Norwegian is starting that route as well.

VSMUT

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm

That's going to be tight, really tight. As Patrick mentions, Vueling has a horrible record with on-time performance.

sovietjet
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:05 pm

To answer the previous question, the flights are on Sunday April 28.

B747forever

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 pm

I wouldn't leave only 2.5 hours between flights on separate tickets, especially not if you have checked in luggage. Remember that you will have to also change terminals at MUC as VY operates out of T1 and UA out of T2. Furthermore, UA check in closes 60 minutes before departure, so in reality you only have 90 minutes to make the connection.
Work Hard, Fly Right

PatrickZ80

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:09 pm

sovietjet wrote:

In that case the best option would be Norwegian through Gatwick. If you select LowFare+ (includes meal on board, seat reservation, 1 checked bag) this would cost you € 374,50. You have 4 hours transfer time in Gatwick, which should be plenty.

sovietjet
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
sovietjet wrote:

In that case the best option would be Norwegian through Gatwick. If you select LowFare+ (includes meal on board, seat reservation, 1 checked bag) this would cost you € 374,50. You have 4 hours transfer time in Gatwick, which should be plenty.

I'll look into that. What if I still travel through MUC, but without a checked bag? Maybe I'll be able to consolidate into a carry-on.

PatrickZ80

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:05 pm

sovietjet wrote:
What if I still travel through MUC, but without a checked bag? Maybe I'll be able to consolidate into a carry-on.

I'm afraid it wouldn't make much difference.

Just a question, why are you so focussed on that United flight out of Munich? There are plenty of other flights from everywhere in Europe to Chicago, Munich might just be your worst option. The only two airlines flying between Barcelona and Munich are Vueling and Lufthansa. If it has to be Munich anyway, why not look into Lufthansa instead of Vueling? As a matter of fact, Lufthansa actively codeshares with United as both of them are in Star Alliance so you might actually get your luggage checked through in Munich. And of course they use the same terminal which Vueling does not. But that's of course only if it has to be Munich. Like I said, there are plenty of other options for transfer airports.

B747forever

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:30 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
sovietjet wrote:
What if I still travel through MUC, but without a checked bag? Maybe I'll be able to consolidate into a carry-on.

I'm afraid it wouldn't make much difference.

Just a question, why are you so focussed on that United flight out of Munich? There are plenty of other flights from everywhere in Europe to Chicago, Munich might just be your worst option. The only two airlines flying between Barcelona and Munich are Vueling and Lufthansa. If it has to be Munich anyway, why not look into Lufthansa instead of Vueling? As a matter of fact, Lufthansa actively codeshares with United as both of them are in Star Alliance so you might actually get your luggage checked through in Munich. And of course they use the same terminal which Vueling does not. But that's of course only if it has to be Munich. Like I said, there are plenty of other options for transfer airports.

Reading the original post, it seems the flights are already booked.

I would say that without any checked in bags and if you check in online you will be able to make the connection without much risk. No 60mim deadline, which leaves you with the full 2.5h to make the connection. Furthermore, as you will start so early in the morning from BCN, the airplane operating the BCN-MUC segment will most likely have overnighted at BCN, so no knock on delays to worry about.
Work Hard, Fly Right

sovietjet
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
sovietjet wrote:

Just a question, why are you so focussed on that United flight out of Munich?

It's because I'm flying for work to Germany the week before and I'm kind of tied down into using that flight from MUC because it is paid for. The trip to BCN was just a small vacation trip I am planning after my work trip, but eventually I need to get back to ORD and my company uses UA/LH for international flights to Germany. They won't cover a whole trip from BCN to ORD ;)

CrimsonNL

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:39 pm

It will be the first rotation of the aircraft out of BCN that day, most likely. So no need to worry about a late incoming aircraft I suppose. That said it is VY and they excel in finding reasons to delay their flights!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

B747forever

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 pm

sovietjet wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
sovietjet wrote:

Just a question, why are you so focussed on that United flight out of Munich?

It's because I'm flying for work to Germany the week before and I'm kind of tied down into using that flight from MUC because it is paid for. The trip to BCN was just a small vacation trip I am planning after my work trip, but eventually I need to get back to ORD and my company uses UA/LH for international flights to Germany. They won't cover a whole trip from BCN to ORD ;)

Have you already booked the VY ticket? Looking at google flights right now that flight comes out at about $176. If you buy a new one way BCN-ORD ticket you can get it for $298 with Norwegian via LGW. Might be worth paying the extra $122 and just fly with Norwegian.
Work Hard, Fly Right

sovietjet
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:07 pm

B747forever wrote:

Have you already booked the VY ticket? Looking at google flights right now that flight comes out at about $176. If you buy a new one way BCN-ORD ticket you can get it for $298 with Norwegian via LGW. Might be worth paying the extra $122 and just fly with Norwegian.

Yes, but my main concern was the checked bag. I didn't even realize Norwegian had such cheap flights...