TYWoolman
Topic Author

What is the common thread in all us airline geeks?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:39 pm

For the longest time I have been fascinated about the airline industry. I remember way back when I used to look forward to seeing the cover page to the WSJ in the late 80's in order to see any airline news. My first love was Eastern Airlines. But when I saw a Western Airlines 737-300 with a Delta label on it in 1987 at JFK, I got really hooked for some reason.

I think the common thread to all of us is route maps. I love them so. I think there is an innate desire in us all to want to own a kingdom. And route maps are key to this and draw us in. Everyone of us. Any thoughts? Am I the only crazy one out here?

BN727227Ultra

Re: What is the common thread in all us airline geeks?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 pm

I like transportation. Planes, trains, automobiles, barges, ships, pipelines. I also like the economics and politics involved in these industries. Route maps? I called every airline in the yellow pages when I was sixteen in 1977, made a pest of myself at travel agents looking for old OAGs. I've traveled to a few places, done so vicariously to many more thanks to reading timetables, etc.

(I don't think I ever saw a Western in person, but I saw DL repaints at OMA before DL had started ATL flights, so close enough...)

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:52 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
I like transportation. Planes, trains, automobiles, barges, ships, pipelines. I also like the economics and politics involved in these industries. Route maps? I called every airline in the yellow pages when I was sixteen in 1977, made a pest of myself at travel agents looking for old OAGs. I've traveled to a few places, done so vicariously to many more thanks to reading timetables, etc.

(I don't think I ever saw a Western in person, but I saw DL repaints at OMA before DL had started ATL flights, so close enough...)

Interesting perspective you have. Route maps are interesting, no doubt!

UPNYGuy

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm

The other common threat is this...

Lots of them treat a 757 as if it were a playboy centerfold :duck:

CarlosSi

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:08 pm

I haven’t looked at a route map in forever. However I like to search routes between city pairs and look at what airline services it, and what type is/are used. Was looking at DFW yesterday and looking at where the MD80 still goes.

OzarkD9S

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm

"We Love To Fly And It Shows"?
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

twaconnie

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm

I think we all have some little boy in us.

SCQ83

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:30 pm

I only like planes. I couldn't bother less about trains, boats, etc. or route maps. I travel frequently different high-speed networks (living in Europe) and couldn't even name a single train model (boring!). I guess things I like about planes:

1. I just like the feeling of flying. It feels very relaxing being in a place where you are somehow undisturbed by external annoyances.

2. The excitement of flying somewhere new. Looking out the window to a new city or country I have never been before; I still love that feeling like the first times I flew.

3. Airports and routes are very linked to everything around: economy, tourism, society. I like that. For my work I need sometimes to make quick analysis of new markets (mostly cities; in something completely unrelated to aviation) and I would always look at the airports if it is a city I don't know much about. An airport (carriers, PAX numbers, main routes) gives you a lot of information about what is going on in that place. Is this city a major business destination? A major tourism resort? If so where are those tourists coming from? Or where are the locals going to? VFR? etc. etc.

VC10er

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 pm

In 1963, one weekend my father said “let’s take Richard to JFK to look at the planes” (perhaps it was still Idilwide (?). My mother said “He’s only 2 years old, what would he even know what’s going on?” - my father won and we (as the story was told to me 1000 times) went to an outdoor observation deck. They said that when I saw the airplanes I started SCREAMING and went wild. They said I pointed at airplanes and said “Bee-Bees!”
The rest was history. My parents couldn’t walk me down 5th Ave because I’d see a travel agency with a large scale model in the window and that I would scream and cry and beg them to buy it for me.
Fast forward to my adulthood and for me, at the core is the pure miracle of flight. How those big machines can fly from one side of the Earth to the other within a day. Then I became obsessed with the airline industry, operations, strategy and marketing etc. Route maps excite me too: especially if it’s a super major airline that has lines going all over the continents!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:49 pm

VC10er wrote:
My parents couldn’t walk me down 5th Ave because I’d see a travel agency with a large scale model in the window and that I would scream and cry and beg them to buy it for me.
Fast forward to my adulthood and for me, at the core is the pure miracle of flight. Then I became obsessed with the airline industry, operations, strategy and marketing etc. Route maps excite me too: especially if it’s a super major airline that has lines going all over the continents!

Can relate to this: Models and route maps, marketing strategy, branding. Good stuff!

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:52 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
"We Love To Fly And It Shows"?

True. But can you sing it for us?

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:53 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
I haven’t looked at a route map in forever. However I like to search routes between city pairs and look at what airline services it, and what type is/are used. Was looking at DFW yesterday and looking at where the MD80 still goes.

I can dig that also!

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:56 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Airports and routes are very linked to everything around: economy, tourism, society. I like that. For my work I need sometimes to make quick analysis of new markets (mostly cities; in something completely unrelated to aviation) and I would always look at the airports if it is a city I don't know much about. An airport (carriers, PAX numbers, main routes) gives you a lot of information about what is going on in that place. Is this city a major business destination? A major tourism resort? If so where are those tourists coming from? Or where are the locals going to? VFR? etc. etc.

Very true!

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Thanks all!

LeftyWriter

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Lonnnnng time lurker here, and I thought this might be the best place for my first post. I've been an aviation enthusiast since I can remember. In high school, while some of my friends would talk about how cool the '65 Mustang was, I'd think that it had nothing on the "real" Mustang, a P-51D.

The closest I came to direct work in aviation was as a clinical paramedic for an occupational medicine clinic we had for CAL about 20 years ago in IAH (where I was), CLE and EWR.

So, the common thread for *this* geek is a general love of aircraft.

BWIAirport

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:51 pm

For me, the fascination is logistics. All the planning down to the minute, down to the gallon/liter, amazes me and I continue trying to learn every day.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:00 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
For me, the fascination is logistics. All the planning down to the minute, down to the gallon/liter, amazes me and I continue trying to learn every day.

Interesting. That is an amazing aspect for sure. The number-crunching of each flight, and how each flight really is a voyage worthy of great safety and detail!

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:05 pm

LeftyWriter wrote:
Lonnnnng time lurker here, and I thought this might be the best place for my first post. I've been an aviation enthusiast since I can remember. In high school, while some of my friends would talk about how cool the '65 Mustang was, I'd think that it had nothing on the "real" Mustang, a P-51D.

The closest I came to direct work in aviation was as a clinical paramedic for an occupational medicine clinic we had for CAL about 20 years ago in IAH (where I was), CLE and EWR.

I've been a lonnnng time lurker here myself until I feel like I need to put my 2 cents in. Congrats on your first post! Thanks for the reply! Used to display on my wall a drawing of a Mustang taken from a calendar. The "real" Mustang, that is!

EBiafore99

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:08 pm

My first experience with an airplane was when I went to Florida on an eastern Airlines 757...about 8 years old (IMO - Still the best airplane. It feels like a Corvette on take-off). That got me hooked. Can't explain the fascination: I just love the whole excitement of an airport and airplanes. I used to go up to the observation deck at DTW used to have an observation deck whenever we at the airport. Also, when the Concorde came to DTW, I sat for hours to watch it land and take-off.

In May, we're doing a one day layover at JFK, so I booked a room at the TWA hotel with the apron view so I could watch the planes. I expect to get no sleep that night, yet it will be a great night.

jetblueguy22

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:13 pm

It's really two things for me, the experience of flying through the air, and logistics. I've flown airplanes and know how they fly, but for some reason I am still in awe of the experience of flight every time I step onboard. It's just amazing to me that such a heavy piece of machinery can climb into the air and half me half way around the world in hours.

The other half of it is the logistics. My dad owned a moving company and is a freight broker, I've had logistics in my blood since I was in diapers, but it's always just been fascinating to me. Now I'm a supply chain engineer, my job is literally to figure out the most efficient way to get a package from A to B. But it still boggles my mind that we can move something, literally anything, from one spot in the world to another like it is nothing. I just think it is so cool that an envelope I'm holding in my hand at 1900 in CT will be on a delivery vehicle going to a customer in LA only 12 hours later.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

StormRider

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
I like transportation. Planes, trains, automobiles, barges, ships, pipelines. I also like the economics and politics involved in these industries.

This.

I just love things that move and transport people as well (well not barges or pipelines LOL, rockets, space shuttles sure....and I am also a big racing/rallying fan)
Also quite big on macro economics/geopolitics/history in general and being a person with a scientific mind I obviously love the science & tech behind aviation as well.

I also think most of us on here are curious people to begin with and also with (minor) OCD in lots of things.

LeftyWriter

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:30 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
LeftyWriter wrote:

I've been a lonnnng time lurker here myself until I feel like I need to put my 2 cents in. Congrats on your first post! Thanks for the reply! Used to display on my wall a drawing of a Mustang taken from a calendar. The "real" Mustang, that is!

Thank you! I've been lurkng A-net since about 2004 or so, but was too cheap to pay for registration. Once that changed I signed up for an account.

StormRider wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:
I like transportation. Planes, trains, automobiles, barges, ships, pipelines. I also like the economics and politics involved in these industries.

This.

I just love things that move and transport people as well (well not barges or pipelines LOL, rockets, space shuttles sure....and I am also a big racing/rallying fan)
Also quite big on macro economics/geopolitics/history in general and being a person with a scientific mind I obviously love the science & tech behind aviation as well.

I also think most of us on here are curious people to begin with and also with (minor) OCD in lots of things.

OCD? You mean like keeping a small notebook on my flight, recording the tail number of the a/c I'm flying on, as well as what rwy we departed from and arrived to? Like keeping track of the flight on my GPS and downloading the track log? Absolutely, totally true! :yes:

SkyVoice

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:33 am

Just to show you how much of an avgeek I was when I was a young boy, I shall relate this story that my Dad told me, several times. We were traveling to our relatives' home in Louisville, rolling down the Watterson Expressway when an Eastern Lockheed Electra passed overhead on short final to Standiford Field's runway 19. I bounced up & down with glee while exclaiming "A big'un! A big'un! A big'un!" My Mom, a school teacher, calmly corrected me, saying "Son, that's a big one". I was told that I replied "A big one . . . A big'un! A big'un! A big'un!"

As I aged, my enthusiasm for aviation became more civilized but never waned. Finally, in 1998-2000, I went to work for Comair at the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky International Airport. Please click on the following link to read an article I wrote about my experiences at CVG's long-gone Concourse C . . . http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/ ... 6699551609

Thanks & have a great week! -SkyVoice :wave:
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:40 am

[/b][/quote]

OCD? You mean like keeping a small notebook on my flight, recording the tail number of the a/c I'm flying on, as well as what rwy we departed from and arrived to? Like keeping track of the flight on my GPS and downloading the track log? Absolutely, totally true! :yes:[/quote]

Yep, OCD is mixed in there somewhere for me, too.

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:49 am

SkyVoice wrote:

As I aged, my enthusiasm for aviation became more civilized but never waned.

Lol. You have a great weekend, also.
I've become more civilized also. I used to draw route maps on back of diner place-mats like I was guided by close encounters of the third kind.

IAHWorldflyer

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:40 am

I'll confess to having an early 80's Delta route map pinned up to the wall in my bedroom. At the time their system was big, but not like today, and you could easily see all the spaghetti string routes.
When my Dad would go away on business trips, I'd ask him to bring me back timetables. The more obscure the airline the better. I loved when he went to ORD or JFK, since he'd usually find some foreign carrier stuff for me.
Sadly, when I left home for college, my Dad decided to clean out my closet to create more storage for himself, and he threw out ALL my memorabilia! I remember coming home one summer and realizing it was all gone and just about didn't want to forgive him. Still wish I had that stuff!

TYWoolman
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Enjoyed the blog, SkyVoice! Abandoned structures are very poignant. The silence speaks to you.

ExpatVet

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 pm

I just like planes. Travel to me is a chance to go all Captain Kirk and seek out new people and places, new civilizations, and generally boldly go, where honestly lots of people have gone before, but I wanna go too.

I don't remember my first flight, and anyone who might remember is dead, but i still remember the beautiful old green tail TriStars when I was a very small child. Ah, the memories!
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

zrs70

Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:11 pm

In the mid 80s, in my teens, I took the T to Boston Logan twice a month. I always hoped the new timetables were out or that one if the airlines were giving out free OAG pocket guides.

I would go to the 16th floor of the control tower to the observation lounge and pull out my timetables, looking at how much the route maps had changed. In those years, PeoplExpress, New York Air, Republic, and Piedmont were growing rapidly.

I would eagerly await the arrivals of the 747s from Europe. Aer Lingus, Lufthansa, Sabena, Alitalia, British Airways, Swissair, TWA, Northwest Orient - all with that great 747!

In college, I worked one summer for Bar Harbor at the old Terminal A. Best part of the job was transferring bags in a little cards to all the other terminals. I love driving out on the taxiways and then pulling up to every single terminal right there in the open air!
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019