Airstud
Topic Author

How many...whatevers...have you been to?

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 am

I thought the thread started by Yflyer, who thought the US states thread was a little unfair to those who don't live in the US, was a little unfair to those who might not be able to travel to many other countries, so I am starting an adaptive yes ADAPTIVE thread.

How many of whatever you keep track of having been to have you been to?

Maybe you keep a list of the Local Government Areas in Queensland, Australia; or the Regions of Western Australia. You keep maybe a list of Mexican estados you've been to? Perhaps you are in Eastern Europe and have a list of Polish voivodeships (Poland evidently has "voivodeships" :boggled: ). What if are in or have traveled to South America? If so, you jolly well ought to know that Peru is divided into departments. How many Peruvian departments have YOU been to, eh? Peru used to have a president named Mr. Fujimori and he had Japanese ancestry, which means some of his ancestors no doubt had lists of all the prefectures yes PREFECTURES they'd been to.

Me, I have lists of U.S. states (see einsteinboricua's thread for the exhilirating details), Canuck provinces (Alta., Ont., P.Q., N.B. N.S.), Mexican estados (B.C. and Gro.). I was in England in 1985 and visited London and the English countryside, but no list of shires because the U.K. seems to have a Constitutional ban on orderly subdivisions.

So go ahead and post whatever International or domestic-for-you lists you like to maintain.

At a bare minimum, each post must start with a list of all the postos of Mozambique you have been to.
Pancakes are delicious.

UALFAson

Re: How many...whatevers...have you been to?

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:33 am

After your "incorrect use of a cruise ship" post, I have to wonder...are you intoxicated when you're writing these? Are you trying to be funny or sarcastic or just bitter, because I can't tell.

Like anything else on this site or the Internet in general, if you don't want to read something (e.g. a thread on here), don't click on it and certainly don't post in it.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:36 am

UALFAson wrote:
After your "incorrect use of a cruise ship" post, I have to wonder...are you intoxicated when you're writing these? Are you trying to be funny or sarcastic or just bitter, because I can't tell.

Like anything else on this site or the Internet in general, if you don't want to read something (e.g. a thread on here), don't click on it and certainly don't post in it.

"Bitter?"

"Don't want to read...?"

Erm.... what?

:boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:58 am

Really? No one keeps a list of... Départments of France, or regions of Italy, or Chinese provinces, or Russian oblasts that they've been to?

I forgot - I also have a list of Minnesota counties and California counties I've been to (of the states I've lived in, those two are the most copiously countious).

Come on, I'm counting on all the usual OCD types who make this site what it is!!
Pancakes are delicious.

johns624

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 pm

I have been to 3 of the 4 "whatevers" in the UK. Is there any other country with similar subdivisions like the UK? Others have states or provinces, but what exactly are England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? They aren't separate countries, yet people who live there think of being from there first, before they are British. I've been to all except Wales.

smallmj

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Okay, if you insist.

Canadian Provinces:
Newfoundland
Nova Scotia (Home)
Prince Edward Island
New Brunswick
Quebec
Ontario

dredgy

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:35 pm

johns624 wrote:
I have been to 3 of the 4 "whatevers" in the UK. Is there any other country with similar subdivisions like the UK? Others have states or provinces, but what exactly are England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? They aren't separate countries, yet people who live there think of being from there first, before they are British. I've been to all except Wales.

They are countries.

I’ve been to

30 US states
All Australian States and mainland territories
5 Chinese Provinces
3 Brazilian States
45 Australian wine regions

johns624

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:40 pm

dredgy wrote:
They are countries.

If they were countries, they'd have their own foreign policy, currency and armed forces. See, that's what makes them "whatevers".

dredgy

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:45 pm

johns624 wrote:
dredgy wrote:
They are countries.

If they were countries, they'd have their own foreign policy, currency and armed forces. See, that's what makes them "whatevers".

No, that’s a sovereign state.

Wikipedia page for country
A country is a region that is identified as a distinct entity in political geography. A country may be an independent sovereign state or part of a larger state,[1] as a non-sovereign or formerly sovereign political division, or a geographic region associated with sets of previously independent or differently associated people with distinct political characteristics.
There is no hard and fast definition of what regions are countries and which are not.

Wikipedia page for Scotland
Scotland is a country that is part of the United Kingdom.

The UK is a United Kingdom of four countries.

johns624

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 pm

So my question remains--are there any other confederations out there like that?

Wednesdayite

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:30 pm

johns624 wrote:

UAE?

And from what some would like me to believe, the EU will soon be an example...
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

PlymSpotter

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 pm

I keep a list of girls I've dated.

Guess that's pretty unique around here... :duck:
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

smallmj

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:17 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
I keep a list of girls I've dated.

Guess that's pretty unique around here... :duck:

My list is pretty short, but I've been married to #4 for 20 years now, so I'm doing fine.

royalswazi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:32 am

Well - I have lived in Mozambique for a number of years. Due to the civil war we were not allowed to leave Maputo, but I can imitate the sound of heavy artillery and quote you the price of a Kalashnikov.

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:36 am

johns624 wrote:
what exactly are England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? They aren't separate countries, yet people who live there think of being from there first, before they are British.

And at what point do people from Northern Ireland think of themselves as British?

johns624 wrote:

The United Kingdom is, as dredgy stated, a sovereign state. Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and England are "constituent countries" of the United Kingdom.

Other such arrangements? Well, Aruba isn't a sovereign state, but rather a constituent country of the Netherlands.
Pancakes are delicious.

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Airstud wrote:
Local Government Areas in Queensland, Australia

I've only been to 25 of the (current) 77 Local Government Areas in Queensland. Guess I've got some work to do.

Brisbane City
Gold Coast City
Ipswich City
Logan City
Redland City
Sunshine Coast Region
Moreton Bay Region
Scenic Rim Region
Somerset Region
Noosa Shire
Lockyer Valley Region
Southern Downs Region
Toowoomba Region
South Burnett Region
Gympie Region
Fraser Coast Region
Bundaberg Region
Gladstone Region
Rockhampton Region
Livingstone Shire
Banana Shire
Aboriginal Shire of Woorabinda
Cairns Region
Douglas Shire
Mareeba Shire

I also need to work on my Departamentos of Guatemala. Only ticked off 9 out of 22.

Guatemala (Ciudad)
Sacatepequez
Izabal
Chimaltenango
Quiche
Solola
Peten
El Progreso
Zacapa

I'll show myself out now :fluffy:
Worked Hard, Flew Right

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:05 pm

If you really want to go there...

- All 18 Districts of Hong Kong
- 13(+1 if you insist) out of 33(+1) "province-level division" of PRC (2 Municipalities in Beijing and Shanghai, 10 Province in Shenyang, Jilin, Heilongjiang, Henan, Shaanxi, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Hunan, Guangdong, Fujian; 1 SAR in Hong Kong; +1 if you wants to be super politically correct and throw in Taiwan "Province")
- 28 out of 47 Prefecture in Japan (Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama, Gunma, Tochigi, Fukushima, Yamagata, Miyagi, Nagano, Toyama, Ishikawa, Gifu, Shizuoka, Yamanashi, Aichi, Mie, Shiga, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Wakayama, Okayama, Hiroshima, Yamaguchi, Fukuoka, Oita, Kumamoto)
- 38 out of 254 counties of Texas (Harris, Fort Bend, Montgomery, Waller, Brazoria, Galveston, Chambers, Liberty, Jefferson, Orange, Wharton, Victoria, Matagorda, Aransas, San Patricio, Nueces, Kleberg, Washington, Lee, Bastrop, Travis, Fayette, Cladwell, Guadalupe, Bexar, Comal, Hays, Kendall, Gillespie, Williamson, Bell, McLennan, Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Brazos, Walker)
- And lastly, 0 out of 405 Postos of Mozambique.

BuildingMyBento

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:32 am

My contribution to this thread would be Chinese border crossing stamps:

Luo Hu, Wenjindu, Shatoujiao, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay, Shekou, Bao'an Airport (Shenzhen)

Lianhuashan, Tianhe, Baiyun (Guangzhou)

Changping (Dongguan)

Gongbei, Jiuzhou (Zhuhai)

Gaoqi, Tongyi (Xiamen)

Hongqiao, Pudong (Shanghai)

Beijing

Shenyang

Xian

Chengdu

Chongqing

Hangzhou

Kunming