Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alan3
Topic Author

Why do most trip reports (websites/youtube) feature only J or F class?

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Why do most trip report Youtube videos or flight review websites overwhelmingly only feature First or Business class and not Economy?

As an armchair traveler, seeing someone fly in a Etihad First Class Apartment is... interesting, but as an regular middle class consumer, it gives me no useful information.

Just because we can't afford a $10k ticket doesn't mean we aren't still consumers who want to spend our money on a decent product and want to know whether to choose A or B.

Any good Y class review websites or youtube vlogs out there?

Yflyer

Re: Why do most trip reports (websites/youtube) feature only J or F class?

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:14 pm

I don't have a good answer to your question, but I just wanted to say that I find that annoying as well. As you might have guessed based on my user name, I always travel in Y. I'd like to see trip reports that tell me what I'm going to experience if I fly in Y on a particular airline.

Just speculating, but I wonder if a lot of that people who watch/read those F/J trip reports do so not so much for informational purposes, but more to live vicariously through trip reports. Even if they can't actually afford the $10k ticket, they enjoy imagining what it would be like to travel in F. In other words pretty much the same reason people watch shows like Lifestyles on the Rich and Famous or watch the guys on Top Gear review the latest supercars they'll never be able to afford.

hic787

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 pm

Because showing showing the $15k A380 suite gets clicks! Very good trip reporting youtube account is "SimplyAviation", they do mostly economy reviews without all the bumf of commentary and dull background music - highly recommend!

smallmj

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:15 am

Because there is no room to hold a camera in today's Y class? ;)

But seriously, I've seen lots of Y class trip reports on Youtube lately. Several really good reviews of Canada's new ULCC's for example.

fbgdavidson

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:10 am

As someone who almost exclusively flies F/J and does write a few trip reports I’d say it’s because simply there is more to write about in premium cabins.

Generally speaking every aspect of the journey from check-in to curb at the other end has some kind of F/J exclusive touch, whether that’s s separate check-in area, lounge, seat, meal, arrivals lounge or chauffeur service for example.

There is much less variation in economy class products than there is in business class or first class products and at some point most people have flown in some variation of an economy class seat. I have read a few great trip reports for Y travels where the pictorial or writing styles mane the report much more than what is being reported on.

I went through a phase of writing up all my travels into trip reports and the few times I flew Y and wrote something up I kind of struggled. I’ve had lounge access in oneworld for more than 15yrs now so that provides something and one time the flight I ended up causing a flight to be diverted so that inadvertently added some interest but the one vanilla Y trip was meh. I didn't like the resulting report I pennned either.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

jetblueguy22

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:26 am

At least for domestic US, I don’t see much of a difference from airline to airline. Sure there is an inch here and there or IFE. But my experience in Y is pretty identical on the US4. There’s just little things that make me lean to two of them versus the other two.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

royalswazi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:30 am

The answer is simple. Economy class is not interesting. You get an uncomfortable seat, a tasteless TV dinner and you get to experience queues and delays. On top of that the seat is the same across all airlines, but the curries are better on Thai & Jet than BA.

To sum it up: I’d rather hear about somebody’s holiday in Sri Lanka than read about their nondescript flight to and fro.

alan3
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:23 pm

hic787 wrote:
Because showing showing the $15k A380 suite gets clicks! Very good trip reporting youtube account is "SimplyAviation", they do mostly economy reviews without all the bumf of commentary and dull background music - highly recommend!

Thanks for recommendation of Simply Aviation. Can't count how many of their videos I watched in the last day. Most of their videos are Y class and many feature interesting airlines I had barely heard about (such as "Jubbo Airlines" Mogadishu to Nairobi !).

lugie

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:43 pm

alan3 wrote:
hic787 wrote:

Thanks for recommendation of Simply Aviation. Can't count how many of their videos I watched in the last day. Most of their videos are Y class and many feature interesting airlines I had barely heard about (such as "Jubbo Airlines" Mogadishu to Nairobi !).

They also have a very active instagram account if you're on that app. For every trip they take they post a live story that usually covers getting to the airport, lounges/airplane interior shots, a brief breakdown of the services offered etc., I find it quite entertaining.
Since the channel is maintained by a couple of people, they take trips at least on a weekly basis if not every other day so I'd definitely recommend following if you're an instagram user.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

XAM2175

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:10 pm

As much as I would also like to see more Y trip reports, I can understand why they're not very common because exactly as said before... it's hard for them to be anything other than pretty dull unless the trip is particularly unusual, or something goes wrong.

For my own example - if I was to write a report about my most recent trip that looked only at the air travel aspect it'd be nothing more than a completely ordinary EDI-AMS-CPH and return on KL's totally-standard 737s. Even the fact that my checked bag was mislaid at AMS on the return doesn't really add all that much spice considering I got it couriered to me the next day.

Now maybe I could jazz it up by adding my Glasgow - EDI train travel but even then...

In fairness though I have seen some excellent Y reports, and the unifying factor for all of them is that they were obscure routes and/or types (like the UA island-hopper or flights on the Il-96), or they went into detail about the destination (like the poster who's name I've criminally forgotten for whom the flights between Sydney and Japan were just set-ups for the train travel in Japan).

Scarebus34

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:02 pm

For good and thorough trip reviews in economy look up ... Traveller Maxi and Maro on YouTube.