Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

TSA/Global Entry ..Turned Away

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:28 pm

I have been a Global Entry/TSA Pre Approved paid up participant for two years and have traveled dozens of times and never had a problem accessing the TSA Pre screen line. This week I was denied and turned away as I was told there was no TSA pre approved stamp on my boarding pass. Yes I am guilty of not checking as it was never an issue before and I just assumed all was okay. The TSA Agent went on too say even though someone is a paid member of the program, on occasion the TSA will deny access and that you are in a lottery for approval for each flight! I never heard of this before... a lottery for approval??

Can someone shed some light on this for me..What is the point of paying and joining only to be turned away??

LAXintl

Re: TSA/Global Entry ..Turned Away

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:30 am

Absolutely correct.
TSA Pre✓ access is not guaranteed. Same way why you can receive a full pat-down screening randomly at the TSA Pre✓ checkpoint.
Even dreaded SSSS can be flagged for TSA Pre✓ participants.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Wednesdayite

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:44 am

Yep. It happens. I just checked in for a flight tomorrow and found my TSA-Pre status nowhere to be seen on my boarding pass.

Not at all happy, but it’s how they do things.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

Cubsrule

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:42 am

In my experience, the far and away most common reason folks don't get TSA Precheck is that they either forget to input or do not input correctly their Trusted Traveler number.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

fbgdavidson

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:16 am

Cubsrule wrote:
In my experience, the far and away most common reason folks don't get TSA Precheck is that they either forget to input or do not input correctly their Trusted Traveler number.

Or that they’re flying a non-participating airline and assume they still get access.

I’ve had Global Entry for almost 10yrs now and TSA Pre since 2014 (US Permanent Residents started getting reciprocity then). In hundreds of flights I’m yet to not get TSA PreCheck *touch wood*. Same for my wife who has had it since 2015.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:25 am

The only time I didn't have "Precheck" on my boarding pass is when the airline system didn't roll over the "Known Traveler Number" when I book the ticket with mileage (Don't ask me why...)

Now, SSSS on the other hand, I can tell you that it can definitely happen (B/c I got that dreaded SSSS 3 times already...)

royalswazi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:26 am

Land of the free, home of useless bureaucracy.

crownvic
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:53 am

Cubsrule wrote:

It was on Delta thru MCO Orlando as departure point..I did not enter my info as Delta has it stored every time I book..

FlyHappy

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:12 am

crownvic wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

It was on Delta thru MCO Orlando as departure point..I did not enter my info as Delta has it stored every time I book..

I have had Delta issued boarding passes missing TSA pre despite storing my number..... you're not alone. Personally, I put it more on the airline than the "evil government" - but that's just me.

jumpjets

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:16 pm

I suppose all sorts of 'systems' operate both ways and people get the benefit for no good reason as well as qualifying travelers being denied - as a UK citizen/resident I don't belong to Global Entry pre-clearance, but more than once I have had the TSA Pre✓ on my boarding pass - but equally I was once taken to one side and given a thorough checking over - which I guess was an SSSS type examination.

These days you just expect 'the worst' when clearing security and are grateful when it is straight forward and quick.

Wednesdayite

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Just raised the issue with TSA in Denver. They confirmed it’s luck of the draw. The hard percentage of random checks varies from day to day. Apparently today at DIA it is 2% So one in 50 who are part of the program won’t get TSA-Pre today in Denver.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

747Whale

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:07 am

I have global entry (and accordingly, pre-check). I don't need it except when coming back into the country, because I pass through the "known crewmember" portal. However, even in uniform, even with known crewmember identification and crew badge and personal ID, I seldom get the pre-check ID on a boarding pass, and I am subject to be put through security all the same, and have been. Even crew ID with known crewmember privileges is still no guarantee.