LH658
Topic Author

Airlines that are in trouble.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:10 am

What are the top 5 major airlines that are in major trouble? (financially and non - financially) What would be 5 changes you do to turn those airlines around?

Pudelhund

Re: Airlines that are in trouble.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:24 am

If I didn't know better I would say this sounds like someone fishing for a buzzfeed listicle or youtube mashup.

sonicruiser

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:35 am

1. WOW
2. Jet Airways
3. Malaysia
4. Norwegian
5. Etihad
Last edited by sonicruiser on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LH658
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:44 am

sonicruiser wrote:
1. WOW
2. Jet Airways
2. Malaysia
4. Norwegian
5. Etihad

and your 5 suggestions to turn them around?

sonicruiser

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:49 am

LH658 wrote:
and your 5 suggestions to turn them around?

1. Take any offer they get
2. They're totally screwed
3. Focus mostly local, some Int'l
4. Stick it out for the long haul
5. Cancel orders and add routes

QF1607

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:18 am

1. Thai Airways - Re-shift focus from long haul to short haul ops, retire the B747 and A380 and use the B77W and A359 for long haul flights, cut European route net work to major cities only.

2. Malaysia Airlines - NEW BRAND IMAGE NEEDED ASAP, continue focus on Asia Pacific ops, dont expand too quickly in Europe

3. Etihad - Cancel orders for incoming aircraft, focus less on premium product and more on filling seats, less F class seats planes, removing it all together on B789 and A333.

4. Alitalia - Stop trying to compete with LH, AF and BA and focus on building a solid European network before expanding to long haul flights

5. South African Airways - Replace the A340 ASAP, cut long haul route network to only the most profitable routes, reduce the number of J seats on all aircraft and a major shift in management.

TheEuphorian

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:04 am

As another user said it in this thread, TG is in financial trouble.
To make TG profitable, it should go either in these 2 scenarios, but before that it should do this first:
-Retire 744/772/773
-Transfer 77E to XW(NokScoot)
-Kill off the WE(Thai Smile) branding and transfer all ex-WE A320 into mainline TG.
-Densify the A380 to be similar to EK's 615 seaters
The 2 scenarios:
A. Scenario 1:
-Order 50 A321NEO and 30 A320NEO and also 8 A359 and 10 789
-Introduce LCC-esque service on flights under 2 hours with Buy-on-Board .
-Introduce Basic Economy fares on tourist and VFR heavy routes eg. HKT, DPS, NRT.
-Lower seat pitch to 30-31 inches in Y.
-Densify the 77W to be similar to AC's 400 seater 77Ws.
B. Scenario 2:
-Order 50 A321NEO and 30 A320NEO and also 12 A359 and 20 789
-Standardize J on all aircraft: VantageXL for regional J and Stelia Solstys and Super Diamond for longhaul J
-expand into secondary markets in India, China and Japan eg. TSN, ATQ, SDJ
-Standardize the A333 fleet to be in configuration "33R" with VantageXL J and slimline Y
-Increase stakehold in DD(Nok Air) and order 70 A320NEO, 30 A321NEO and make them expand internationally by using the TR model of feeding mainline TG by launching tourist heavy destinations or secondary cities eg. DVO, SUB, DAD, KOS, REP, BKI + transfer some mainline TG routes and frequencies to tourist/VFR heavy destinations like DPS, CTS
-If this plan is successful and depending if Thailand gets its FAA Category 2 status upgraded to Category 1, try launching SFO/YVR as TPAC routes.

MileHFL400

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:14 am

Add KQ to that list.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

trees

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 am

QF1607 wrote:
5. South African Airways - Replace the A340 ASAP, cut long haul route network to only the most profitable routes, reduce the number of J seats on all aircraft and a major shift in management.

This would kill them.

AESH16

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:31 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
To make TG profitable, it should go either in these 2 scenarios, but before that it should do this first:
-Retire 744/772/773
-Kill off the WE(Thai Smile) branding and transfer all ex-WE A320 into mainline TG.
The 2 scenarios:
A. Scenario 1:
-Introduce Basic Economy fares on tourist and VFR heavy routes eg. HKT, DPS, NRT.
B. Scenario 2:
-Standardize J on all aircraft: VantageXL for regional J and Stelia Solstys and Super Diamond for longhaul J
-Standardize the A333 fleet to be in configuration "33R" with VantageXL J and slimline Y
-Increase stakehold in DD(Nok Air) and order 70 A320NEO, 30 A321NEO and make them expand internationally by using the TR model of feeding mainline TG by launching tourist heavy destinations or secondary cities eg. DVO, SUB, DAD, KOS, REP, BKI + transfer some mainline TG routes and frequencies to tourist/VFR heavy destinations like DPS, CTS
-If this plan is successful and depending if Thailand gets its FAA Category 2 status upgraded to Category 1, try launching SFO/YVR as TPAC routes.

I think LCC-esque won't work for THAI because the reason some travelers choose THAI instead of others is because of the service and food onboard and doing this might steer travelers away from THAI to other LCC carriers in Thailand which is already very competitive with FD, DD and SL. I also think increasing THAI's stake in DD could also be challenging to convince the board of DD's considering the situation THAI is currently in and the influence in SIA's Scoot and ordering A320neo family for Nok is not a very good idea because they operate the 737NG family and have 737 MAXs on order even in this situation. Killing WE might also generate bad press for THAI in the time where THAI is still in trouble. I know this because I am Thai myself and killing WE will make us think that WE wasn't a success instead of THAI trying to fix themselves.

I am so sorry if all of this doesn't make sense to you because I'm not a professional analyst by any means some of yours idea could be great like densifying and opening-up high demand routes.

FlapsOne

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Alitalia is probably the safest airline in the world in terms of longevity. It will never be allowed to fail. Ever more creative ways will be found to get around state aid rules and militant and all powerful unions will keep them flying.

VTCIE

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:06 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
Alitalia is probably the safest airline in the world in terms of longevity. It will never be allowed to fail. Ever more creative ways will be found to get around state aid rules and militant and all powerful unions will keep them flying.

Remove the letters L, T, A, L, I and A and add R, I, N, D, I and A there. Fixed that for you.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

SteelChair

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm

What about JetBlue? Aren't they continually in trouble according to many posters here?

Are Southwest and Delta in trouble? Risk of a hostile, or at least unwanted, buyout by Berkshire?

sabby

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:23 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
-Retire 744/772/773
The 2 scenarios:
A. Scenario 1:
B. Scenario 2:

I'd argue against a couple of those:
1. 772/773 are fully paid off and are used for regional <4 hours flights. Getting rid of those in favor of newer aircraft would actually deteriorate margin for high lease prices, efficiency won't cover it for short hauls.
2. It doesn't make any sense to have multiple lie flat products for regional and long haul like SQ. TG can't charge the premium like SQ, so they are better off standardizing fleets. I'll even go as far as making older planes a refurbished cabin with recliner J and slimmer Y, because most of these routes are under 4 hours and this will help lower cost base and possibly lower J price to attract higher load. The other slightly longer routes can be served by the long haul frames in rotation to maximize utilization.

n797mx

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:38 pm

FlyBe has always been a poor performer. They need to dump the ATRs and continue dumping the E195s. The E175 isn't the best for their routes either, but it works on the longer haul flights.
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

LUKAS10

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm

trees wrote:
QF1607 wrote:

This would kill them.

Trying to save an airline like SA is far more complex than just this. How can an airline on the verge of collapse afford a new fleet of A350s? Why would anyone reduce the capacity in the business class when the airline itself is based in a hub with generally good yields and premium traffic? It would be great if the government intervention would be minimal, maybe privatisation is the correct answer. However, who wants to buy SA at its current state? I don't think SA should cut more destinations. There's probably no airline in the world with a 100% profitable network. Don't forget many routes complement each other.
Except of a massive corruption and basically unlimited government influence, SA has to deal with many different things, such as; severe competition from the Middle East, internal theft ect. Additionally, we don't know how this business really works. The results may be also falsified, everything is possible at SA.

Scarebus34

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Thai should continue to beef up Nok Air and Thai Smile for its domestic/regional flying and focus mostly on long haul routes.... It can dramatically cut costs by using its two subsidiaries where there is fierce competition while continue its flagship product to Europe and other long haul destinations.

lightsaber

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:13 pm

1. SAA, needs to be shutdown and allow for profit airlines to flourish.
2. Jet Airways. I do not see a ROI, but politics might save it.
3. Air India. It should have been privatized. One would think India has better use of funds.
4. Philippine Airways:. Best to shut it down.
5. Asiana, sell to KE.
6. Norwegian. Stop expanding for 18+ months to out the house in order.
7. Thai/TG others have listed solutions.
8. WOW
Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

GRJGeorge

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:20 pm

LUKAS10 wrote:
trees wrote:
QF1607 wrote:

This would kill them.

Trying to save an airline like SA is far more complex than just this. How can an airline on the verge of collapse afford a new fleet of A350s? Why would anyone reduce the capacity in the business class when the airline itself is based in a hub with generally good yields and premium traffic? It would be great if the government intervention would be minimal, maybe privatisation is the correct answer. However, who wants to buy SA at its current state? I don't think SA should cut more destinations. There's probably no airline in the world with a 100% profitable network. Don't forget many routes complement each other.
Except of a massive corruption and basically unlimited government influence, SA has to deal with many different things, such as; severe competition from the Middle East, internal theft ect. Additionally, we don't know how this business really works. The results may be also falsified, everything is possible at SA.

Does anyone know more about the rumours that SAA might lease 2 A350-900s later this year? Airbus' A330-900NEO also made an appearance at JNB the last two days, but believe this was more with it delivering aid to Mozambique after Cyclone Idai.
But agree, saving SAA is much more than just fleet replacement...but there's a few more positive changes and sounds being made lately, so holding thumbs...but the best would be very hard decisions that will not go well with everyone, especially the one's benefiting from the government interference.

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:20 pm

Let see...

1. Alitalia - just keep bailing it out ad nauseum
2. SAA - Just keep getting funds from the gov't
3. Air India - Just keep getting money from the gov't
4. Jet Airways - Just compete with gov't money with AI
5. Malaysia Airlines Berhad - Just remove Mahathir and put Najib back in charge :duck: :duck:

PlymSpotter

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:27 pm

n797mx wrote:
FlyBe has always been a poor performer. They need to dump the ATRs and continue dumping the E195s. The E175 isn't the best for their routes either, but it works on the longer haul flights.

Quite the opposite - they need more ATRs and fewer Q400s.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ewt340

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:33 pm

Malaysian Airlines:
- Scrapped A380.
- Kept all A330 and A350.
- Create new LCC to compete with Air Asia. Use their B737-800.
- Cancel MAX order, d'oh!
- Order more second hand B737-800 to increase market share for the LCC.

spinotter

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:12 pm

VTCIE wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:

Remove the letters L, T, A, L, I and A and add R, I, N, D, I and A there. Fixed that for you.

From everything I have read over the years, you both share the prize. I have flown both and have to say I have enjoyed the flights, but money is being wasted for sure. Air France is halfway a basket case too.

PatrickZ80

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:37 pm

As for the list of airlines in trouble, I guess those have been mentioned so no need to do that again.

One airline I would like to try saving is Norwegian. I believe it is possible to address the flaws in their system and make them profitable again.

One of the problems of Norwegian is that they don't have a network. They have a large collection of individual flights, but it's not a unity. The flights don't work together, each of their flights is doing nothing for the other. That needs to change. Norwegian should have a stronger focus on their hubs. Cut routes that don't touch their hubs and replace them with one-stop connections through their hubs. This way they can serve more destinations with fuller aircraft and thus make more money. But they should abolish the wish of serving every market with a direct flight, that's just not feasible. That way they're constantly competing with themselves, ultimately weakening their position. Focus more on one-stop and less on non-stop, that's my advice to Norwegian.

Devilfish

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:04 pm

lightsaber wrote:
4. Philippine Airways:. Best to shut it down.

While there's no airline by that name, I would have thought No 2 and No 3 are more deserving of such treatment. :indifferent:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

SQ789

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:41 am

Wow Air becomes the latest to go down.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

leleko747

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:03 pm

Avianca Brasil is also in trouble and will much probably be taken over by Azul. Well, at least the healthy part of it.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

SCQ83

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:47 pm

Air Europa I think it will be in trouble at some point or another. They offer nothing different than Iberia in MAD. It is a bit like WOW and Icelandair; focusing in the same market. They tried to get international stakeholders on board (Hainan or Etihad a few years ago) and that never materialised. Even Ryanair never put in place their transfers in MAD. There must be something sketchy in their accounts (which are not public since UX is not a public company). I think whenever there is an economic downturn, UX will suffer and likely disappear.

Another one is TAP, although they are government-owned. They had major losses in 2018. Their expansion is completely unsustainable (KEF-style). I don't think TAP will go bankrupt since it is a government-owned carrier, but at some point or another they will need to heavily restructure and downsize.

Overall this will be very positive for Iberia in MAD. :)

LimaFoxTango

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Add LIAT to that list, within 24hrs there should be word on the status of this airline
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

Thibault973

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:22 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Air Europa I think it will be in trouble at some point or another.

Well according to Globalia's 2017 financial report, UX is profitable, and the most profitable part of the group at that.

https://www.globalia.com/en/financiero/ ... 4B938C91AB

SQ789

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Asiana has been possibly become the latest one after CEO quits

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Asiana ... ing-fiasco

5NFGS

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:53 pm

In Africa, CamAir Co is under threat due to fleet difficulties
https://www.businessincameroon.com/tran ... t-of-order

While SAA is perennially being bailed out
https://www.theafricareport.com/10484/s ... n-airways/
A 319/320/321,A 330-200/300, A 340-300/500/600, B 737-300/400/500,B 737-700/800,B 747-300/400,B 767-200 ER/300 ER, B 777-200/200 ER,CRJ 200/900/1000,DHC-8-300/Q 300, DC-10, ERJ-195,MD-11

ewt340

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:20 pm

Ok, I would change WOW Air to OWW Air. And then moved hub to major cities like Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam and start over there.

xwb777

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:16 am

Royal Jordanian..

TheEuphorian

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:59 am

AESH16 wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
-Retire 744/772/773
The 2 scenarios:
A. Scenario 1:
B. Scenario 2:

I think LCC-esque won't work for THAI because the reason some travelers choose THAI instead of others is because of the service and food onboard and doing this might steer travelers away from THAI to other LCC carriers in Thailand which is already very competitive with FD, DD and SL. I also think increasing THAI's stake in DD could also be challenging to convince the board of DD's considering the situation THAI is currently in and the influence in SIA's Scoot and ordering A320neo family for Nok is not a very good idea because they operate the 737NG family and have 737 MAXs on order even in this situation. Killing WE might also generate bad press for THAI in the time where THAI is still in trouble. I know this because I am Thai myself and killing WE will make us think that WE wasn't a success instead of THAI trying to fix themselves.

I am so sorry if all of this doesn't make sense to you because I'm not a professional analyst by any means some of yours idea could be great like densifying and opening-up high demand routes.

Personally, I think WE is sort of the oddball airline in Thailand and they aren't competitive enough to compete with FD/SL and also keep in mind that WE is created by TG so that they can avoid buying narrowbodies to replace their A300s some years ago. To fix that, killing off the WE brand is sort of the best option if TG wants to cut losses and transfer domestic routes to DD, while retaining mainline service to HKT/KBV/CNX only.

SQ789

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:12 pm

I guess Avianca Brazil is now in dead meat now. Only some planes are flying as of today. Lots of flights cancelled and many passengers stranded.

CWL757

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:26 am

Seems Aigle Azur can now be added to the list.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

filipinoavgeek

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Hong Kong Airlines? Considering their parent company's struggles and how HK Express got sold off to Cathay. There were also reports recently that Adria Airways from Slovenia was in big trouble.

KlimaBXsst

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 pm

I really do not feel JetBlue’s A220 purchases are a good thing for them... at least in the near term anyway.

I would not call JetBlue in trouble by any means though.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

XAM2175

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:22 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
I would not call JetBlue in trouble by any means though.

So your post then is effectively pointless?