xwb777
Topic Author

Skytrax World's Best Airports

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:55 pm

The World's best Airports for 2019 has been announced at the Passenger Terminal Expo in London:

1. Singapore Changi
2. Tokyo Haneda
3. Korea Incheon
4. Hamad
5. Hongkong International
6. Chubu Centrair
7. Munich Airport
8. London Heathrow
9. Tokyo Narita
10. Zurich Airport

-Salalah Airport is the first 5-star regional airport in the Middle East
- Doha Hamad is a 5-star Airport for the second year.

ITSTours

Re: Skytrax World's Best Airports

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:01 pm

SIN HND ICN DOH HKG will stay there forever, I guess?

klm617

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:07 pm

xwb777 wrote:
The World's best Airports for 2019 has been announced at the Passenger Terminal Expo in London:

1. Singapore Changi
2. Tokyo Haneda
3. Korea Incheon
4. Hamad
6. Chubu Centrair
7. Munich Airport
8. London Heathrow
9. Tokyo Narita
10. Zurich Airport

LOL London Heathrow. I don't think so.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

WayexTDI

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:28 pm

klm617 wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

1. Singapore Changi
2. Tokyo Haneda
3. Korea Incheon
4. Hamad
6. Chubu Centrair
7. Munich Airport
8. London Heathrow
9. Tokyo Narita
10. Zurich Airport

Isn't Skytrax a joke anyway?

ozark1

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:31 pm

Narita? I found it to be dark, dreary, moldy and an overall sense of a need of an update. Maybe I was in a different terminal or something

IWMBH

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:36 pm

klm617 wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

1. Singapore Changi
2. Tokyo Haneda
3. Korea Incheon
4. Hamad
6. Chubu Centrair
7. Munich Airport
8. London Heathrow
9. Tokyo Narita
10. Zurich Airport

Agreed, I used it last summer. Very disappointing.

ojjunior

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 pm

ITSTours wrote:

Sure, as long the payments to Skytrax keeps arriving on time.

Super80Fan

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Notice no US airports on there, because they all resemble bus terminals at best and mud huts at worst.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

oschkosch

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Skylies is a better name. These awards are all "purchaseable" imho.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

winginit

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:44 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
klm617 wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

1. Singapore Changi
2. Tokyo Haneda
3. Korea Incheon
4. Hamad
6. Chubu Centrair
7. Munich Airport
8. London Heathrow
9. Tokyo Narita
10. Zurich Airport

Yes. I've watched first hand on both the airline and airport side how SkyTrax come in, loudly announce who they are and their review 'criteria', and then make 'recommendations' as to how carriers/airports can improve their scores. Not surprisingly, those recommendations all involve enlisting (for a fee) SkyTrax's 'consulting' services. It's a complete joke.

ojjunior wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

Sure, as long the payments to Skytrax keeps arriving on time.

:checkmark:

Super80Fan wrote:
Notice no US airports on there, because they all resemble bus terminals at best and mud huts at worst.

Correction. No US airports are on there because no US airport is willing to pay SkyTrax's 'consulting fees'.
Last edited by winginit on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n797mx

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:44 pm

WayexTDI wrote:

I wouldn't say a joke, but they def have biases.

For example: Air Koryo is their only one star airline. I've never flown them, but everyone I know that has says they are actually quite decent.

I know that's a more extreme example, but they put most their airlines in the 3 star category. Ryanair and AA/Delta are somehow all 3 star category?
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:51 pm

klm617 wrote:

Not when things go wrong! God forbid if you miss your connecting flight, because your original flight was delayed taking off due to a landing slot not being available when your plane is supposed to arrive, because the airport only has two runways. And it can get worse if you have to change terminals, because the your airline rebooked you on another airline. So you get on the interterminal bus to go to your new terminal and find an hour long line security screening line. Then you get to the airline desk, and it's a zoo. There are queues forming up every which way and you get to the end of it and find out it was for business class. Then you go to the end of another queue. Then the airline sends out people with tablets to take down information of the people in the queue to try to speed things up. Then you finally get to talk to an agent who can get your boarding pass and find out the flight you were rebooked on is just about to close boarding, so the agent books you on a later flight on your original airline. Then you have to make another terminal change and go through security again. Then you find out that they won't announce which gate in the whole terminal your flight till less than an hour before your flight, because the airport wants you to spend time in the duty free shops. So finally you find out your gate number and have to walk all the way down the end of a long corridor with your 78 year old mother who just had her second knee replacement 13 months previously. You make it to the gate to wait in another queue to board. Then 3 hours after leaving the gate you get to your destination, go to the baggage claim and find out that your baggage didn't make your flight. Then you make a lost baggage claim at the alliance office and get a small amenity kit, go through customs, get a cab and go to your hotel. I'd sure hate to find out how bad the airports further down the list are.

Super80Fan

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:57 pm

winginit wrote:

Super80Fan wrote:

Correction. No US airports are on there because no US airport is willing to pay SkyTrax's 'consulting fees'.

Maybe not but airports in the US are more than willing to sue each-other for using a city in their name...
RIP McDonnell Douglas

winginit

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
winginit wrote:

Super80Fan wrote:

Maybe not but airports in the US are more than willing to sue each-other for using a city in their name...

Let's please not tarnish the broader United States' goo... no... decen... no... stable reputation by equating what happens in Florida to what happens in the broader United States.

AEROFAN

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

We simply refuse to buy acclaim - acclaim that is meaningless as all get out.

NorthernPyro

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Denver seems to be the top American airport at number 32

Top 10 American Airports:
1. Denver (DEN) no. 32
2. Atlanta (ATL) no. 36
3. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG) no. 37
4. Houston Intercontinental (IAH) no. 38
5. San Francisco (SFO) no. 48
6. Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) no. 57
7. Seattle/Tacoma (SEA) no. 58
8. Los Angeles (LAX) no. 71
9. John F. Kennedy (JFK) no. 74
10. Minneapolis/St. Paul (MS) no. 77

ITSTours

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:20 pm

Never been to DOH, but SIN HND ICN HKG all deserve to be there regardless of whether they pay or not. Especially SIN. And these airports are rated well in other rankings not made by Skytrax.

But US airports are not there because they don't pay? Really? Can LAX compete with HND? I don't think so.

Scarebus34

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:23 pm

Y’all get so worked up over these Skytraxx rankings. Name one US airport that deserves to be on that list... not a single one.

k89

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:31 pm

It honestly doesn't matter what SkyTrax labels as the best airports and airlines. No airport or airline will make every single person happy in one way or another. There will always be passengers of airlines and airports that have a bad experience, whatever it's there own opinion or an actual issue with services being offered.
Last edited by k89 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeyTK

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:31 pm

People still take Scamtrax serious? Really?

winginit

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:38 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Y’all get so worked up over these Skytraxx rankings. Name one US airport that deserves to be on that list... not a single one.

I've flown in or out of every single airport on that SkyTrax list with the exception of the new ICN terminal that I'm sure is the basis for ICN's ranking. In the U.S., PDX, DTW, and SLC come to mind as being potentially worthy of comparable 'acclaim' if you can call it that. Great facilities that are easily on par with some of the international airports who paid to be on this list even if they operate on a smaller scale.

NorthernPyro

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 pm

With Laguardia's upgrade coming along nicely, I would expect it to at least be on the list of 100 sometime in the coming years. Even though I don't think Delta has given a timeline on when they are going to upgrade their terminals.

xwb777
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 pm

11. Osaka Kansai (13/2018)
12. Frankfurt (10/2018)
13. Taiwan (15/2018)
14. Amsterdam (12/2018)
15. Copenhagen (19/2018)
24. Dubai (23/2018)
38. Houston George Bush (48/2018)
39. Guangzhou (104/2018)
87. Abu Dhabi (53/2018)

More can be found at https://www.worldairportawards.com/worl ... orts-2019/

TheEuphorian

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 am

xwb777 wrote:
11. Osaka Kansai (13/2018)
12. Frankfurt (10/2018)
13. Taiwan (15/2018)
14. Amsterdam (12/2018)
15. Copenhagen (19/2018)
24. Dubai (23/2018)
38. Houston George Bush (48/2018)
39. Guangzhou (104/2018)
87. Abu Dhabi (53/2018)

More can be found at https://www.worldairportawards.com/worl ... orts-2019/

On that list, CGK is, for some reason, placed higher than BKK, which is very odd, considering CGK has one of the worst layouts for an airport, and did I mention that one of the terminals don't even have air-conditioning?

zakuivcustom

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:01 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
On that list, CGK is, for some reason, placed higher than BKK, which is very odd, considering CGK has one of the worst layouts for an airport, and did I mention that one of the terminals don't even have air-conditioning?

Maybe they only looked at T3 (Which is very nice) but not T1? Although, yeah, BKK should be ranked higher than CGK.

LHR at #8 is a bigger joke anyway.

TheEuphorian

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:

Maybe they only looked at T3 (Which is very nice) but not T1? Although, yeah, BKK should be ranked higher than CGK.

TBH, BKK's quality seems to have dropped anyway because last time while waiting to board a TG redeye to HND, I went into one of the toilets and it was quite filthy and the area around it wasn't well lit.

Also, dutyfree and restaurants in BKK are very overpriced, for example, a bottle of water can cost up to 60 Baht/USD 2, while usually it's 10 Baht outside the airport because they made the rent prices very high.

And on the topic of CGK, I haven't used T3 yet, but even T2(old international terminal) was quite bad because:
-Dirty toilets (Note: it has already improved)
-Terrible choice of restaurants and duty free
-Baggage claim is very rundown and very 1990s, and also takes like an hour to come out.

zakuivcustom

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:19 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:

TBH, BKK's quality seems to have dropped anyway because last time while waiting to board a TG redeye to HND, I went into one of the toilets and it was quite filthy and the area around it wasn't well lit.

Also, dutyfree and restaurants in BKK are very overpriced, for example, a bottle of water can cost up to 60 Baht/USD 2, while usually it's 10 Baht outside the airport because they made the rent prices very high.

And on the topic of CGK, I haven't used T3 yet, but even T2(old international terminal) was quite bad because:
-Dirty toilets (Note: it has already improved)
-Terrible choice of restaurants and duty free
-Baggage claim is very rundown and very 1990s, and also takes like an hour to come out.

For me, at least on average, BKK is still better than CGK just b/c CGK T1 and T2 are so awful (although finally improving).

I do agree about the restaurants at BKK, though. Overpriced and the food are awful.

neutrino

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Maybe they only looked at T3 (Which is very nice) but not T1?

T3 do look nice but its a looooong walk from gate to CIQ.
Both times I arrived, I hailed the passenger carts that was at least thoughtfully provided to those who need/want it.
As for T1, its more like a messed=up marketplace than a airport terminal.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

TheEuphorian

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:54 am

What's funnier is that on the list, OOL is placed higher than BKK,KUL,GYD,YYZ,YUL,LAX,FUK,PEK.

neutrino

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 am

TheEuphorian wrote:

Forget the restaurants. BKK (and DMK too) have reasonably priced foodcourts, and the offerings are as good as any in downtown malls.

TheEuphorian

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:02 am

neutrino wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:

Forget the restaurants. BKK (and DMK too) have reasonably priced foodcourts, and the offerings are as good as any in downtown malls.

I tried the foodcourt in BKK, and that was enough to explain why its so cheap - because of three things:
-Its quite dirty and disorganized. I swore I saw a galley cart from some airplane there for some reason.
-Its full of Chinese tour groups.
-The food isn't very delicious, but still I'd rather go there than eat in some overpriced restaurant.

neutrino

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
neutrino wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:

I tried the foodcourt in BKK, and that was enough to explain why its so cheap - because of three things:
-Its quite dirty and disorganized. I swore I saw a galley cart from some airplane there for some reason.
-Its full of Chinese tour groups.
-The food isn't very delicious, but still I'd rather go there than eat in some overpriced restaurant.

Ah, you must have gone to the wrong one.
I've been to both and the slightly more expensive one is never 100% crowded. Its bigger, clean, orderly, and the food as I mentioned is as good as downtown.

yxef150

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:18 am

Skytrax isn't to be taken seriously at all. LHR certainly comes as a major surprise, it isn't exactly the easiest airport to navigate or connect through to start with. The fact that FRA is being rated higher/better than YVR also speaks volumes. My guess is that the individuals who came up with this assessment had most likely never been to nor had they ever transited through most of the airports on that list.

ricport

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Not when things go wrong! God forbid if you miss your connecting flight, because your original flight was delayed taking off due to a landing slot not being available when your plane is supposed to arrive, because the airport only has two runways. And it can get worse if you have to change terminals, because the your airline rebooked you on another airline. So you get on the interterminal bus to go to your new terminal and find an hour long line security screening line. Then you get to the airline desk, and it's a zoo. There are queues forming up every which way and you get to the end of it and find out it was for business class. Then you go to the end of another queue. Then the airline sends out people with tablets to take down information of the people in the queue to try to speed things up. Then you finally get to talk to an agent who can get your boarding pass and find out the flight you were rebooked on is just about to close boarding, so the agent books you on a later flight on your original airline. Then you have to make another terminal change and go through security again. Then you find out that they won't announce which gate in the whole terminal your flight till less than an hour before your flight, because the airport wants you to spend time in the duty free shops. So finally you find out your gate number and have to walk all the way down the end of a long corridor with your 78 year old mother who just had her second knee replacement 13 months previously. You make it to the gate to wait in another queue to board. Then 3 hours after leaving the gate you get to your destination, go to the baggage claim and find out that your baggage didn't make your flight. Then you make a lost baggage claim at the alliance office and get a small amenity kit, go through customs, get a cab and go to your hotel. I'd sure hate to find out how bad the airports further down the list are.

You forgot to mention the lazy, surly and completely indifferent security screeners. They make workers at the Department of Motor Vehicles here in the States look like dynamos.

Gr8Circle

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 pm

ozark1 wrote:
Narita? I found it to be dark, dreary, moldy and an overall sense of a need of an update. Maybe I was in a different terminal or something

I passed through NRT few weeks back and yes, agree with you that it has a dated look.....however, in spite of being quite a busy airport, it is spacious, easy to navigate, not congested, got plenty of food and shopping options, well connected by rail to the city, plenty of service counters and overall clean and tidy...….so I don't find it surprising that it is in this list......the list should not be about how shiny and glittering the airports are......LHR T5 and T2, both of which I flew through in last few years, are new and shiny terminals but not at all a pleasure to fly through...

dredgy

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:52 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
What's funnier is that on the list, OOL is placed higher than BKK,KUL,GYD,YYZ,YUL,LAX,FUK,PEK.

Well it's a customer satisfaction survey...and I'm generally more satisfied with OOL than any of those others (never flown to YYZ or YUL).
If you fly OOL to KUL for example, KUL's low cost terminal is amongst the worst airports in the world and the experience on the Gold Coast is vastly better.
LAX & GYD are abysmal airports. BKK, PEK and FUK are nothing to write home about. OOL, while overcrowded, is simple & easy to navigate and clear security & immigration.

As regards to the list...would swap Incheon and Haneda. But else fairly representative.

flyingclrs727

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:52 pm

ricport wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

You forgot to mention the lazy, surly and completely indifferent security screeners. They make workers at the Department of Motor Vehicles here in the States look like dynamos.

That was partially covered as part of the hour long security line. But I did forget to mention the slow service at a restaurant where we had a rather expensive meal. You'd think that at a large international airport waiters would be attuned to the needs of people who need quick efficient service. They're not.

flyingclrs727

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:29 pm

I like flying out of or through IAH. Getting between terminals is pretty easy on either side of security. The terminals are all along a pretty simple linear arrangement. I've easily connected to international flights in terminal D with just one hour between arriving at terminal B and the departure time. There are lots of restaurants airside from which to choose. I much prefer to fly internationally from IAH and connect overseas if needed than connect at east coast or west coast airport.

Veigar

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:14 am

NorthernPyro wrote:
Denver seems to be the top American airport at number 32

Top 10 American Airports:
1. Denver (DEN) no. 32
2. Atlanta (ATL) no. 36
3. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG) no. 37
4. Houston Intercontinental (IAH) no. 38
5. San Francisco (SFO) no. 48
6. Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) no. 57
7. Seattle/Tacoma (SEA) no. 58
8. Los Angeles (LAX) no. 71
9. John F. Kennedy (JFK) no. 74
10. Minneapolis/St. Paul (MS) no. 77

JFK not being the absolute worst airport on any list automatically renders the list useless.

Eindhoven

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:54 pm

klm617 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. They should be 8th worst, not 8th best. Horrible airport. But no doubt with enough bribe money anything is possible.

Just look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1416417

Plenty of people mention LHR as the worst airport to connect. Only CDG is worse.

spacecadet

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
I passed through NRT few weeks back and yes, agree with you that it has a dated look.....however, in spite of being quite a busy airport, it is spacious, easy to navigate, not congested, got plenty of food and shopping options, well connected by rail to the city, plenty of service counters and overall clean and tidy...….so I don't find it surprising that it is in this list......the list should not be about how shiny and glittering the airports are.....

I think it should at least partly be about that. Air travel is an amazing thing and airports should inspire and celebrate that with their design. Some airports consciously do that and some don't.

I'm pretty familiar with Narita and while I don't hate it, there's nothing inspiring about it and it's not exactly the most convenient airport out there to the city it ostensibly serves. It also has some looooong walks to the farthest gates, with no moving walkways or anything to help, and it often has some really long waits (in not great air conditioning) for immigration. Also, while parts of both terminals have good retail options, there are airside areas (especially the domestic areas) that have nothing but a basic convenience store near the gate.

Haneda is better and I can understand why it's on the list. At least two of its three terminals are really impressive; the third is "fine" but there's nothing bad about it. And the airport is very convenient to the city.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!