Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gsg013
Topic Author

Connecting at JFK from Delta to Air France.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Can anyone elaborate on the process of connecting from a DL flight to an AF flight at JFK? I know AF is in terminal 1 and DL would be Terminal 4. Anyone who has done this please explain the experience of getting from 1 terminal to the other and what you have to do with baggage?

I really wish AF could get into T4 like the KLM flights are.

I am flying from Nashville to Florence Italy in late may (BNA-JFK-CDG-FLR) Thanks you

global2

Re: Connecting at JFK from Delta to Air France.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Is your trip all on one ticket? I think then you should be able to check your bags through to your final destination. If that's the case, then the airtrain circles the airport and connects all the terminals. But you will need to go through security again at T1. I'm not aware if DL provides any sort of air-side shuttle to T1. However, on the way back it will be more complicated because you must collect your bags and re-screen/re-check them. Somebody else may have more detailed or up to date info, or you may want to contact Delta.

NWADTWE16

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:21 am

global2 has It right. I've done this more times than I can count, especially outbound, as I prefer AirFrance A380 across the pond. Its not a friendly connecting airport in or out. Just wanted to confirm that is correct above me. There is no buses to AirFrance terminal period

American 767

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:31 pm

It isn't just T4 for Delta at JFK. Delta also has flights that arrive and depart out of T2. So if you fly Delta to JFK you can arrive at either terminal, which isn't very convenient because, what if you have a connecting flight at JFK all on Delta metal and you have to switch terminal? You have to take the Air Train and clear the security again. Not very convenient. I think that Delta should consider moving out of T2 and see with the PANYNJ if they can extend T4 on the tarmac at JFK, so that customers connecting through JFK on Delta will have a seamless travel experience.
Anyway, in your case, since you are connecting on Air France you have to take the Air Train to T1 and reclear security anyway, whether you arrive in T4 or T2, either way. Like global2 told you, verity that your itinerary is all in one ticket and one record locator, but still when you check in ask if your luggage with be checked through all the way to your final destination. Have a nice trip.

prflyer155

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:15 am

I'm a frequent flyer with Delta. As long as you're booked on one ticket, that's good. Your bags will get to the final destination and you will not have to pick them up at either JFK or Paris. When you return to the US, you will have to re-check your bags in JFK airport. If your layover is less than 2 hours and you are flying back on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, check up with Delta schedules to make sure there are additional flights to Nashville in case you miss your connection. AirTrain will get you from terminals, and if you miss your flight Delta is considerate and they will get you on the next available flight. When you check schedules in case you miss your flight, you can also check LaGuardia schedules. American and Delta are the two airlines that do give passengers free transportation from JFK to LGA. I dread anyone who was to connect through JFK internationally from May to Labor Day in September. If you have any questions, let me know!

KBUF

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:32 am

American 767 wrote:
It isn't just T4 for Delta at JFK. Delta also has flights that arrive and depart out of T2. So if you fly Delta to JFK you can arrive at either terminal, which isn't very convenient because, what if you have a connecting flight at JFK all on Delta metal and you have to switch terminal? You have to take the Air Train and clear the security again. Not very convenient. I think that Delta should consider moving out of T2 and see with the PANYNJ if they can extend T4 on the tarmac at JFK, so that customers connecting through JFK on Delta will have a seamless travel experience.

There's an airside shuttle bus for connections between T2 and T4: https://www.jfkairport.com/at-airport/c ... ng-flights

(Though if connecting between any other combination of terminals, you do have to exit and re-clear security, yes.)

gsg013
Topic Author

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you all for the reply's.

Yes DL provides an airside shuttle between T2 & T4 I know that which makes it easy to go from one terminal to the other without going back through security.

It is all on a single ticket (J class ticketed via delta) so our bags should be checked all the way through to FLR.

Our return we are going to do FLR-CDG-DTW-BNA (I know you get your bags and redrop them in DTW due to customs/immigration. We have 2 hr 20 min in DTW for that connection so we should be fine. (Also excited to try out AF's 787-9 on the CDG-DTW leg have not actually flown a 787 before)

global2

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:08 pm

I forgot to mention/warn you that if you're unlucky enough to have your plane park at a gate at the end of T4's five mile long concourse you'll have a very long walk ahead of you.

e38

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:18 am

Quoting global2 (Reply # 8), "I forgot to mention/warn you that if you're unlucky enough to have your plane park at a gate at the end of T4's five mile long concourse you'll have a very long walk ahead of you."

No, not necessarily. If you arrive at the end of Terminal 4 Concourse B there are moving sidewalks you can use to go toward the main part of the terminal.

You can also take the JITNEY shuttle bus from Gate B-54 to either Gate B-18 (Terminal 4) or Gate C-60 (Terminal 2).

e38