Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

csweet
Topic Author

Greek Island Recommendations

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Good afternoon,

I am travelling from Munich to Athens, and then on to the Greek Islands in May. Does anyone have recommendations on which airline/routes to take? Along with this, are ferries better for some travel?

Thank you!

PatrickZ80

Re: Greek Island Recommendations

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:22 pm

For travel between the Greek islands I definitely recommend the ferries. They're cheap and reliable and don't need to be booked in advance. In Greece you board a ferry just as easily as you step on a bus.

debonair

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:45 am

Beside Aegean Airlines (Olympic) and ASTRA AIRLINES, SKY EXPRESS is offering outstanding inter-island services: https://www.skyexpress.gr/en/

Must see are the Cyclades, best to fly into Santorini airport and after few days to hop over to Mykonos.

OA260

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:55 am

Ellinair also offer Domestic flights from ATH. The ferries are reliable and frequent. Seajets are my preffered option. www.seajets.gr.

As for the Islands to visit. Try Milos , Paros or Tinos maybe a mixture of them. Santorini in May should not be too bad crowd wise and worth a visit for a night or two. Mykonos take it or leave it.

Noshow

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:33 pm

For remote airports try Leros or Astypalea.

FlyingColours

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:00 pm

I can't recommend Skiathos enough, in summer there's plenty of low landings and jet blast takeoffs with a taverna nearby with FR24 on the go to keep track of things...

They have a twice daily shuttle to ATH, it was a mix of Olympic and Sky Express operating it though I believe there is now a third daily flight too.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

SCQ83

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:41 pm

OA260 wrote:
Ellinair also offer Domestic flights from ATH. The ferries are reliable and frequent. Seajets are my preffered option. http://www.seajets.gr.

As for the Islands to visit. Try Milos , Paros or Tinos maybe a mixture of them. Santorini in May should not be too bad crowd wise and worth a visit for a night or two. Mykonos take it or leave it.

You are missing the obvious option: Ryanair that flies to Santorini (year round) and seasonal to Mykonos. And Volotea flies seasonally to Heraklion, Mykonos, Rhodes and Santorini. If I was the OP I would also take a look at flying back from some island to MUC so he skips one flight. In May there might be quite a few deals on Condor, TUI and those holiday carriers from the islands to Europe.

A couple of years ago I stayed in Santorini in the last week of October (so the last week of the season) and when I asked to the guy in the hotel whether they were closing for winter he told me "No, because now tourists keep coming in winter because of Ryanair". I always find funny when random people talks about routes (it is like airliners.net in real life :) ) and how the "Ryanair effect" is still unbelievable strong in so many places in Europe.

OA260

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Ellinair also offer Domestic flights from ATH. The ferries are reliable and frequent. Seajets are my preffered option. http://www.seajets.gr.

You are missing the obvious option: Ryanair

No maybe he/she wants to try something a bit different while in the region. Ellinair or Seajets would be more interesting then a bog standard FR flight ;)

Chemist

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:26 am

debonair wrote:
Beside Aegean Airlines (Olympic) and ASTRA AIRLINES, SKY EXPRESS is offering outstanding inter-island services: https://www.skyexpress.gr/en/

Must see are the Cyclades, best to fly into Santorini airport and after few days to hop over to Mykonos.

IMO Santorini is a must-see.
However their airport was the biggest cluster I've ever experienced at any airport.

csweet
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you all for the recommendations! I am a dude, for clarification. We decided to go MUC-ATH-Santorini, then ferry up through the Cyclades and fly back out of Mykonos. Flights are not bad yet in May!