Airstud
Topic Author

Osaka thread

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:19 am

See, in an email some time ago, my dad mentioned, without elaborating, that "Osaka has a fascinating history."

I've done some admittedly inexhaustive research on Osaka's history and have not found anything that stands out as fascinating. Though Panasonic née Matshusita is hq'ed there, and I've always thought highly of their products. Plus it looks like the Osaka Municipal Subway is the second largest municipal subway system in the country.

But I doubt that either of those is what he was referring to. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

spacecadet

Re: Osaka thread

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:14 am

Might he have been talking about Kyoto right next door?
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 am

spacecadet wrote:

Well, that's anyone's guess...

Why, is Kyoto's history fascinating? :bouncy:
Pancakes are delicious.

jumpjets

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Airstud wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

Yes indeed it is, lots of fascinating history (an ancient capital of Japan, and an anagram of Tokyo of course), fabulous food and taxis that have doors which close themselves, what more could you want.

zakuivcustom

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:34 pm

jumpjets wrote:
Airstud wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

Yes indeed it is, lots of fascinating history (an ancient capital of Japan, and an anagram of Tokyo of course), fabulous food and taxis that have doors which close themselves, what more could you want.

Just adding on about Kyoto - it was initially chosen as one of the A-bomb target (since it's so symbolic as the ancient capital), but some American officer (don't remember the rank) loved Kyoto's beauty so much that the city was spared as that officer doesn't want such a beautiful city go to ruin.

Airstud wrote:
See, in an email some time ago, my dad mentioned, without elaborating, that "Osaka has a fascinating history."

Read about Toyotomi Clan if you want to know more Osaka's history. That and it was THE trade/merchant capital of Japan.

Then there's that "Manzai" culture (It's a form of Japanese stand-up comedy) that originated in Osaka.

P.S. Kansai area (Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe) >>> Kanto area for me. Better food (You can splurge on a Kaiseki in Kyoto, but can also go cheap with things like Takoyaki/Yakisoba in Osaka; what does Tokyo have? Monjayaki that is much worse than Okonomiyaki?), much more fascinating culture (Tokyoites are more reserved, Kansai-jin are more "open"/"outgoing"), and it has everything from ancient history (Kyoto/Nara) to modern city (Osaka) to a mish-mesh western/eastern mix you can find in Kobe (That and well, Kobe beef).