kimimm19
Topic Author

Delta A350 experience(s)

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:55 pm

So I have just taken my first ever a350 ride on Delta's from Detroit to Amsterdam. I can't begin to say how much I was looking forward to it.

My impressions from it were that the aircraft itself flew brilliantly, with this kind of effortlessness. It was quite loud during takeoff but quiet during cruise.

In terms of passenger experience, I found the cabin to be quite cramped, especially in the 3-3-3 config in economy. Perhaps it was because I was expecting something just above the a330 comfort experience but it unfortunately it didn't measure. Delta's pitch seemed quite poor as well.

How does this stack up to other people's opinion of the a350 (particularly delta's)?

spacecadet

Re: Delta A350 experience(s)

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 am

I flew on Delta's A350 in Premium Select. I found the aircraft itself to be almost ludicrously quiet; on takeoff, I could barely hear the engines and it was a little disconcerting. I could hear people whispering over it from across the aisle. Throughout the flight, every conversation around me was easily audible. If it's possible for an airplane to be *too* quiet, this came pretty close. It was kind of like sitting in a waiting room on the ground where everyone's constantly talking.

The Premium Select seats were ok but I felt like the legroom was a little stingy given the price premium and considering that these are supposed to be true premium economy seats, not economy plus like the Comfort+ seats. It was about the minimum legroom I can really deal with, and my knees were still touching the seat in front of me once the passenger in front reclined. I didn't feel like it was really worth the price.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Oliver2020

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:25 am

spacecadet wrote:
I flew on Delta's A350 in Premium Select. I found the aircraft itself to be almost ludicrously quiet; on takeoff, I could barely hear the engines and it was a little disconcerting. I could hear people whispering over it from across the aisle. Throughout the flight, every conversation around me was easily audible. If it's possible for an airplane to be *too* quiet, this came pretty close. It was kind of like sitting in a waiting room on the ground where everyone's constantly talking.

The Premium Select seats were ok but I felt like the legroom was a little stingy given the price premium and considering that these are supposed to be true premium economy seats, not economy plus like the Comfort+ seats. It was about the minimum legroom I can really deal with, and my knees were still touching the seat in front of me once the passenger in front reclined. I didn't feel like it was really worth the price.

Regarding premium select: How was the padding on the seat and back? How far was the angle of the recline?

n757kw

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Oliver2020 wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

Regarding premium select: How was the padding on the seat and back? How far was the angle of the recline?

I have sat in Premium Select once bound for ICN on a DL A350. The seat padding was fine. However, I agree the pitch was a little stingy considering it was premium economy. I also thought the recline was stingy, better than economy, but not as good as I would have expected.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

spacecadet

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Oliver2020 wrote:

The padding was pretty thick; not like regular economy. That probably makes the seat pitch seem worse than it is, though (I think they advertise something like 37", but with the thick padding it feels more like the 35" of Comfort+). They were comfortable seats, just not really to the overall standard I'd expect for that class of service. They just need to take a row out.

I don't personally remember how far the recline was, but as someone else mentioned, I don't think it was all that far. I think it was pretty much like Comfort+.

DL_Mech

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:47 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
In terms of passenger experience, I found the cabin to be quite cramped, especially in the 3-3-3 config in economy.

The seats in economy are 17" wide between the armrests. Most websites say 18", but my tape measure said differently.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Oliver2020

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:09 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Oliver2020 wrote:

The padding was pretty thick; not like regular economy. That probably makes the seat pitch seem worse than it is, though (I think they advertise something like 37", but with the thick padding it feels more like the 35" of Comfort+). They were comfortable seats, just not really to the overall standard I'd expect for that class of service. They just need to take a row out.

I don't personally remember how far the recline was, but as someone else mentioned, I don't think it was all that far. I think it was pretty much like Comfort+.

Thanks as far as the recline (I've just recently head back surgery and this is the reason I'm asking about the recline) did you recline and what was the experience for example pressure, strain, on the lower back and hip area? Thanks for your information and quick response on the previous post. I'm just trying to gage the quality on the premium economy.

Due to the aforementioned back, I can no longer fly on those Dl comfort or Dl economy due to what feel like cement seats lol

If you flown the new suites or someone anyone else who flown the Dl A359, How's the back support on those in the lie flat position?

Oliver2020

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:26 pm

n757kw wrote:
Oliver2020 wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

I have sat in Premium Select once bound for ICN on a DL A350. The seat padding was fine. However, I agree the pitch was a little stingy considering it was premium economy. I also thought the recline was stingy, better than economy, but not as good as I would have expected.

N757KW

My flight is from LAX to ATL to visit family round trip. As Delta conducts repositioning flights from ATL to LAX, I'm asking about the A359 due to the Fact the 777LR has the same configuration.

Have you flown in the Dl suites on the A359? If so is the footwell comfortable, and is there room to store a back pack within the suite?

spacecadet

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:14 am

Oliver2020 wrote:
Thanks as far as the recline (I've just recently head back surgery and this is the reason I'm asking about the recline) did you recline and what was the experience for example pressure, strain, on the lower back and hip area? Thanks for your information and quick response on the previous post. I'm just trying to gage the quality on the premium economy.

I did recline, and I do remember being surprised it didn't recline farther but I think that was more because I was expecting more from Premium Economy rather than it being actually worse than any of the lower classes. I'm sure it's at least as much recline as Comfort+ but it may not be any better.

I was sitting next to someone who was a bit on the large side and it was difficult to get fully comfortable in my seat for that and the other reasons mentioned so far. But I don't remember there being any pressure points or having pain in any specific area. The seats themselves are pretty comfortable; there's just not enough room for me, and there probably could be more recline.

If the price is fairly close, I'd probably go for Delta One. It's too bad some planes omit Comfort+ because I think it's a much better value for what you actually get. Almost the same experience as PS but usually for like 1/2 to 1/3 the price. I haven't flown in Delta One but it's a lie flat bed so obviously that's a much different experience.

IPFreely

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:48 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
My impressions from it were that the aircraft itself flew brilliantly, with this kind of effortlessness.

I've read many trip reports and I've never seen a description like this before. How exactly does a plane fly brilliantly? How can a passenger tell if a plane is flying brilliantly, not brilliantly, or with or without effort?

kimimm19 wrote:
In terms of passenger experience, I found the cabin to be quite cramped, especially in the 3-3-3 config in economy. Perhaps it was because I was expecting something just above the a330 comfort experience but it unfortunately it didn't measure. Delta's pitch seemed quite poor as well.

As far as the seat, I've never been on a A350 (and probably never will). But according to seatguru, which I've found to be pretty accurate, the Delta A350 and A330 premium select seats have exactly the same width and same pitch. So if you were expecting something above the A330 comfort experience, you weren't going to get it.

kimimm19
Topic Author

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:04 am

IPFreely wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
My impressions from it were that the aircraft itself flew brilliantly, with this kind of effortlessness.

I've read many trip reports and I've never seen a description like this before. How exactly does a plane fly brilliantly? How can a passenger tell if a plane is flying brilliantly, not brilliantly, or with or without effort?

kimimm19 wrote:

As far as the seat, I've never been on a A350 (and probably never will). But according to seatguru, which I've found to be pretty accurate, the Delta A350 and A330 premium select seats have exactly the same width and same pitch. So if you were expecting something above the A330 comfort experience, you weren't going to get it.

Sounds like you're being funny for no reason... :roll:

Given the aircraft's capability, on this relatively short sector, it was not stretched at all and had great performance which is noticeable to a passenger.

Also, the a350 is marketed as a step above the current generatio (and 787) in terms of comfort with its extra wide body and Delta's config surely let it down and made it feel LESS comfortable than a a330.

LetsGoOutside

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:57 pm

After several years of flying (as a passenger), it's quite easy to have an impression the plane flies with or without effort (from a passenger's perspective). At take-off in particular, you can tell if the plane needs every inch of runway to get airborne or if there is plenty of reserve available. Same with engine power. Sometimes, they need to be pushed to the max (no pun intended) to be able to take off, with the overhead been rattling and shaking like crazy. Other times, the pilot needs only partial power and you are in the air when you thought you should still be on the ground. This, among other things, leaves an impression with the passenger. In the late 80s, I remember being in a 20+ years old TWA 747 as a coach passenger in the middle seat of the middle row going JFK-CDG. I could not see the ground and it felt liked the pilot needed forever to get airborne while at full power. I started sweating like crazy, until we finally took off (I must confess that I am a white knuckle flyer if I can't see the ground when taking off). This was definitely not a takeoff that seemed to be "without effort".
kimimm19 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

kimimm19 wrote:

Given the aircraft's capability, on this relatively short sector, it was not stretched at all and had great performance which is noticeable to a passenger.

Also, the a350 is marketed as a step above the current generatio (and 787) in terms of comfort with its extra wide body and Delta's config surely let it down and made it feel LESS comfortable than a a330.

spacecadet

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:12 am

LetsGoOutside wrote:
After several years of flying (as a passenger), it's quite easy to have an impression the plane flies with or without effort (from a passenger's perspective). At take-off in particular, you can tell if the plane needs every inch of runway to get airborne or if there is plenty of reserve available.

Well, planes are designed for the runways they'll typically be taking off from (and landing on). A 747 and A350 aren't going to have very different takeoff points on a given runway in the same conditions. Usually when people describe one takeoff as effortless and another as the opposite, they're talking about planes with different loads on different runways or even airports on different days, when winds, temperature, and density altitude could be totally different.

For example, here you can see an A350 and 747-400 taking off back to back on the same runway in the same conditions - the 747 lifts off only a few hundred feet beyond the A350's liftoff point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n3H_PNrbuw

Two engine airplanes do generally have to have a bit higher power reserve because they need to be able to take off on 50% thrust (the loss of one engine), whereas four engine airplanes only need to be able to take off with 75% thrust. But that doesn't mean there's a corresponding difference in reserve power; four engine airplanes typically have more than the minimum amount of thrust that they need. I think I remember reading that the 747-400 can even take off on two engines. Though I'm not sure if that was true of earlier models.

My one experience on the A350 was just that it was so quiet that you couldn't really tell how hard the engines were working. The 747 is much less well acoustically shielded in the cabin (ie. it's louder). But that's not necessarily a reflection of how hard the plane's working to get in the air. Lightly loaded on a cold day at sea level, both planes will have an easy time of it. And the opposite will be true for both planes when heavily loaded in a hot and high environment. But in all cases, they'll both be fine taking off from the types of runways they were designed for.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 am

kimimm19 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

kimimm19 wrote:

It's IPFreely, he's the resident anti-DL basher and full of lies and fake news. I think its wise what they've done with the A350, able to keep the routes they had with the 747, but increase revenue by increasing fares.
From my cold, dead hands

IPFreely

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:17 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
It's IPFreely, he's the resident anti-DL basher and full of lies and fake news. I think its wise what they've done with the A350, able to keep the routes they had with the 747, but increase revenue by increasing fares.

Your childish insults aside, using the A350 to replace the 747 has nothing to do with the OP's complaint about seat comfort not being as good as he expected.

JKzhong

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Having flown quite often these years, I have to say that Delta 359 left me with absolutely stunning experience. Long story short I flew on 359 in the round trip from DTW-PEK and it was the first time that I was able to watch a movie, like actually listening to the conversations, and not feel tired after almost 13 hours of flying. The only short was the seat and space, which was quite tight for me (was sitting beside the window and getting out to the restroom was like moving house). But personally, I prefer quietness over anything. Recall last year flying the 789 from SEA to PEK and from PEK to CTU, I found it very noisy not much different comparing to 77w (don't quote me on that as a spotter 77w is one of my favorites). Also, the main cabin was well pressurized, I felt normal when climbing and descending. Highly recommend it especially for long-haul transoceanic flights.