Max Q
Topic Author

How much do you drink on board ?

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:45 am

Alcohol that is

While traveling as a passenger I try to avoid more than a couple of gin and tonics, the magnifying effect of altitude is no joke and hangovers can be significant with the dehydration

Important to drink a lot of water, having said that I have overindulged a couple times

Thoughts, opinions ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

1989worstyear

Re: How much do you drink on board ?

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:55 am

Depends on the year of EIS of the model I'm flying on.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

Kent350787

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:04 am

Maybe and alcoholic drink per long haul sector, plus one in the lounge. Lots of water, green tea and black tea for me. Miso too if JL.

dredgy

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:51 am

Depends. I get quite gassy so avoid carbonated beverages. I’d rather deal with a hangover from a lot of red wine than an extremely uncomfortable flight because I had a glass of coke.

If I’m in business or first and flying to a new country I will always try any local drinks I haven’t tried before - eg Chinese Rice Wine to China. Usually this will be one drink for every food course with dinner.

If I’ve tried everything on the menu then I won’t usually drink at all.

In economy likewise I won’t usually drink.

If I’m in First on a point redemption, I will attempt to drink enough Dom Perignon to cover the taxes.

PatrickZ80

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:45 am

I never drink any alcohol when I'm flying, neither before nor during the flight. As a matter of fact, I rarely drink alcohol at all.

I do drink non-alcoholic drinks when I fly, I need to stay hydrated. Mostly water and fruit juices, but I can't resist a coke as well.

LH748

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:59 am

Not at all
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

seat64k

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:10 am

I don't drink alcohol on any flight, with the occasional exception of the tiny flute of sparkling wine sometimes served during boarding in Premium Economy/Business if I'm lucky enough to fly in those cabins.

The effects of dehydration and the resulting hangover is too much for me. And it's only gotten worse with age. These days I take fitness seriously, and find that alcohol impairs my workouts enough that I simply don't drink often.

jumpjets

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:15 pm

The answer is really a function of several things, principally:

a) time of day at departure;
b) short or long haul
c) buy on board or free.
d) do I have to drive when I get off the plane.

A short haul morning departure and I would never drink alcohol
A short haul departing lunch time or later when free drinks are offered I would have one alcoholic drink with my meal but if its BoB I wouldnt buy one.
Long haul I would have a drink with the meal service, usually a glass of wine and probably a gin and tonic before or after, depending when the meal is served. If it was BoB then I may buy one drink depending on how I feel.

I mainly drink sparkling water.

If I am driving when I get off the plane I would only have a drink if there is a good four or five hours left in the journey when the drink service is offered. I may however take a gin and tonic, drink the tonic and take the gin with me when I get off!

spacecadet

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:20 pm

I drink as much as they will volunteer to me at the beginning of a flight; in other words I won't ask for it as a special request, but if they're coming through with a drink cart with alcohol on it and that alcohol's included in my ticket price, I'm going to drink it.

On most flights that means I'll have one drink. But if I'm flying on points/miles and I had enough for a J ticket, sometimes it can mean as many as 3 or 4 (the welcome drink, then something with dinner and a couple of refills). That's usually enough to put me to sleep and keep me asleep until close to landing, which is kinda the goal.

ANA used to do this thing in economy class where they'd periodically walk through the cabin with a wicker basket full of wine - literally about once an hour. I always thought that was hilarious, but it was also pretty dangerous because I'd always imbibe. They don't do that anymore, unfortunately. (You can still call and ask them for it, but it's not usually worth the effort. If it's right in front of me, though, I'll take it.)

I don't usually drink after the first half of the flight, because by then I'm usually feeling the effects of altitude on my body as a whole and I don't think alcohol improves things at that stage.

I don't feel any *additional* effects of alcohol in the air, though. It takes me the same amount to feel it as it does on the ground.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

jetblueguy22

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:54 am

All depends on why I'm traveling and where I'm going.

Monday morning on my way to a meeting? Stick to water or juice.

Friday afternoon on the way home? Yeah I'll have a drink or two.

Morning on the way to vacation? As many bloody mary's as I can pump into me.

Internationally if it's a night flight I'll have a glass of something to help push me that little way to sleep.

I don't enjoy drinking that much on the actual airplane, outside of the dehydration aspect of it, I just end up feeling funny. I'd rather have a couple at the bar during the connection, pound a water, and hop onboard.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

timh4000

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:04 am

I quit drinking about 4 years ago. But while I could and often did knock back a 12 pack after work when it came to flying for some reason I was never interested in getting hammered on a plane. I've had a few beers here and there but I've never been intoxicated in the air. I preferred sober as I enjoyed the flight.

A333MSPtoAMS

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:06 am

If it's a long haul flight i will have a single glass (maybe two if In really tired and want to sleep, as wine tends to make me sleepy) of wine with my meal. Otherwise, coffee for the morning hours and water the rest of the time.
As of Dec 2018 I've flown 417,862 miles on 250 flights on 51 airplane types with 55 airlines traveling thru 97 airports in 43 countries. I've visited 59 countries. 2019 is looking like a pretty decent year for me.
http://cronkflies.com

mad99

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Outbound never
Returning always. Usually starts in the lounge then I’ll have two on the flight if it’s an afternoon/night flight. Never if it’s a day flight.
Always taxi home from the airport.

I was in the lounge at HAM a month ago and they have a fridge with beer in it and you just help yourself. One guy in the lounge had 8 empties on is table and a fresh one in his hand! I took a pic!

dfwjim1

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:37 pm

I was at one of the Admiral's Club at DFW last month at around 8 AM and I was amazed at the number of people who were drinking hard drinks and beer.

einsteinboricua

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Depends on the class of service, time of day, and flight length.

If it's a short, 1-2hr hop, I probably pass (even if sitting in first class). Anything longer than that can warrant one drink. If sitting in F, probably 2+ drinks (pre-departure, main serving, and possible follow-up). On a couple of UA flights, I sat in F and ordered mimosas all throughout.

If sitting in coach, depends on the offering and the price. WN has an excellent margarita mix.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

fbgdavidson

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 pm

Depends on the flight.

I'll enjoy a drink or two onboard for sure.

If it's longhaul, especially with free pouring FAs (you know, the type who make you feel bad when you turn down a refill) I'll just drink a glass of water for every glass of champagne/wine or measure of spirits. I will rarely feel anything other than fine getting off the other end even on 12hr+ dayflights where I'm awake the whole time.

Sometime the FAs think you're on some kind of drinking challenge. I had one LGW-JER flight in Club Europe on BA where the FA served me something like 4 splits of champagne...on a 35min, 161 mile flight. You get your champagne decanted in a paper coffee cup for descent :mrgreen:
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

neutrino

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Rare in the past 2 decades as about 80-90% of my flights are on LCCs.
On legacies, now as was during pre-budget carrier days, I would down anything from 2 to 4 cans of beer an hour of flight time, but not exceeding a dozen a sector.
The only exception was on a PR flight from MNL to SIN back in the early 2000s. I was seated in the back cabin of a sparsely occupied Airbus WB, and on hearing that I was on familiar terms with the son of previous PR private owner, the purser, with an attentive rotating bevy of young FAs, share our stories of our common acquaintance. They kept piling me with San Miguels that I must have consumed close to 20 cans in those 3-odd hours. It was quite a one-man drinking party, with a ready listening audience.
After disembarking and clearing Immigration, I hung around in the airport for an hour or so to visit the toilet multiple times till all those excess liquid were drained off.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

WPvsMW

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Since I'm allergic to ethanol, the only ethanol I consume are the minute amounts in kombucha (which I drink for gut microbiota). En route, I mix up electrolyte and chlorophyll drinks, like Green2O. I fly 12-hour timezone change flights (onestops, HNL to the EU); adding booze to the mix doubles the jetlag recovery time.

WildcatYXU

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:30 pm

It depends. When I'm driving (or working) after arrival I don't drink at all. If not, it all depends on the situation. It may range from nothing to several drinks. Difficult to say a number.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

readytotaxi

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:26 pm

For me it depends on the direction of travel. When flying East to West on a 9hr flight I will probably have about 6 glasses of wine with the meal. I will stop drinking about 4 hrs before arrival. Going West to East overnight I probably have 1-2 glasses of wine with the meal and then sleep. All travel is in J.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Airstud

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 am

The correct in-flight beverage is ginger ale.
Pancakes are delicious.

danman132x

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Almost nothing. Never alcohol, and maybe a cup water or ginger ale. Have to use the restroom too much when drinking, and there was this one flight I was on already going into descent where I really had to pee and had to wait until we disembarked. Almost lost it there lol

Osiris

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:18 pm

If I'm driving the other end then I try and keep it sensible.

If it's a long haul flight with no commitments at the other end, I tend to get relatively tanked up. Once the food service has finished, I'll generally drink as I would at a bar until the end of the flight.

zakuivcustom

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:45 pm

For alcoholic beverage, I'll get a beer or a cup of wine occasionally, but probably nothing more than that. On short-haul, I rarely get alcohol (plus if I'm on US domestic flights, I'm way too cheap to buy some meh beer).

Otherwise, just tons of water and/or orange juice.

I'm just not much of a drinker anyway. Unless I'm on SQ, then I probably can't resist a Singapore Sling :banghead:

P.S. Isn't the "correct" beverage on a plane Tomato Juice?

JPhoto

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 am

On a short flight for business just water of juice, on the way home sometimes a glass (but usually a plastic cup, lol) of wine. On the way to the vacation destination depending on the departure time I love a mimosa or cocktail at the airport.

On long haul overnight flights I always have a few glasses of wine to try to get some sleep with mixed success. I used to drink more on long haul flights but the jet lag is much easier now!

There was that one flight where I kept going to ask for an extra drink in the galley, everytime with a different FA, they gave me small bottles of wine, you should have seen the face of the FA who came by to collect the garbage during descent when I gave her the empty bottles....

All my flights are in Y and sometimes Y+
PDX-AMS

spacecadet

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:38 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
P.S. Isn't the "correct" beverage on a plane Tomato Juice?

Sure, with some vodka, worcestershire, and tabasco in it, and garnished with celery!
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:35 am

I never buy onboard or at airport bars.
I always have a glass of wine with my meal in any class, and usually, have a refill
I order a gin and tonic or bourbon and ginger to help me sleep on an overnight in Y class
In Business class, I always have preflight champagne and inflight an after-dinner whiskey or brandy.
In the lounge, I often have a cider or white wine during lunch, bubbles or bourbon in the late evening

My air travel routine is always the same. I counter the effect with water and orange juice and I have always been comfortable. I don't drink much of anything during life on the ground due to requiring zero blood alcohol at work.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

denkcflyer

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:34 am

I get nervous flying at times, so I almost always have a glass of wine. If a morning or afternoon flight, a mimosa or beer.

I know that’s not a great way to cope, but it helps me so why not. Most of my flights these days are pretty short and not business related.

Chemist

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:10 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I never drink any alcohol when I'm flying, neither before nor during the flight. As a matter of fact, I rarely drink alcohol at all.

I do drink non-alcoholic drinks when I fly, I need to stay hydrated. Mostly water and fruit juices, but I can't resist a coke as well.

This describes me, too.
I did have a glass of wine on an overnight to Europe long haul to help me sleep. That's a rare event, though.

stlgph

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm

In short, as much as I possibly can.

Thank god for the powdered Pedialyte packets.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

eastafspot

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 pm

dredgy wrote:
If I’m in First on a point redemption, I will attempt to drink enough Dom Perignon to cover the taxes.

Best answer so far! :lol:
So, do you count them in glasses (= flûtes) or bottles?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !