PanzerPowner
Topic Author

American Airlines Changed Schedule on Itinerary

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:00 pm

Just recently, we received an email from a third party website which we used to book our tickets (Expedia) and we were informed that our flight from LAX-PHX-LHR on July 16th was going to be changed, the 2 hour layover would be reduced to a 30 minute one. AA 1702 > 760, we have attempted to change our flights but after going through AA, being transferred to BA and now attempting to raise Expedia we are still on hold. So in the free waste of time I have, I have to ask... how common is this, what are the paths ahead for us, and if we should take the 30 minute layover in Phoenix.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

TheFlyingDisk

Re: American Airlines Changed Schedule on Itinerary

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:28 am

1 - Very common
2 - Hound Expedia to get it changed to a more comfortable layover option (the airlines can't do jack since you bought the tickets through an online travel agency).
3- I really doubt you can make the 30 minute layover.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

PI4EVER

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 pm

As mentioned above, flight schedule changes are common and frequent on all airlines. The schedules for July may/can change again.
Contact Expedia. AA is not selling a LAX-PHX-LHR connection so your original flight schedule is now considered a "misconnect" and you will have to be rebooked.
Do not expect or ask for a nonstop LAX-LHR flight; however, AA and BA codeshare flights are numerous through all of AA hub cities. There will be a suitable connection to rebook you on.
It is Expedia's responsibility to secure your new flights for you. AA and BA will simply advise you to contact Expedia so your original tickets can be reissued for the new flights they confirm you on.
If you ignore the situation and just show up at the AA counter on July 16 there is no assurance AA or BA will have seats available for you on a suitable flight and you risk disrupting your trip significantly. Pursue this matter with Expedia until you are rebooked.
watch what you want. you may get it.

fbgdavidson

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:16 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
Do not expect or ask for a nonstop LAX-LHR flight; however, AA and BA codeshare flights are numerous through all of AA hub cities. There will be a suitable connection to rebook you on.

Why not?

I've had involuntary schedule changes on AA, UA and DL many dozens of times and have always been able to pull something better out of the bag. Admittedly I've never had to work through getting it sorted with a third party but it shouldn't be an issue as far as AA are concerned to get a non-stop if the current one-stop itinerary is now a misconnect.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

PI4EVER

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:44 pm

He did not buy a ticket for a nonstop flight, likely because the connection sold by Expedia was cheaper. There are numerous alternate connection options available to re-accommodate this passenger and AA and BA have no obligation to offer him a more premium nonstop option that he did not purchase in the first place. Expedia is responsible to see that he is re-booked on the best connection LAX-XXX-LHR available near his original departure time.
Tickets booked directly with an airline via their website or phone may be handled differently due to new schedules and seat availability and they would have contacted the passenger directly to offer an alternate schedule. Again, no obligation to put you on a nonstop if suitable connections are available. This same process can and does apply to passengers traveling on award tickets although in many cases you can actually gain a better schedule sometimes due to handling of customers who are considered loyal using the miles accrued for flying on that airline.
watch what you want. you may get it.

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 pm

Update Time! So... AAL had offered the nonstop but we got through Expedia an earlier flight than the original to Phoenix, (on the A32Q!) and all the kinks, for now have been worked out.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.