Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

London Hotel Suggestions

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:15 am

So, I'm going to London to catch a cruise in November and I'll land at LHR the day before the cruise is scheduled to depart. I've booked ground transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal in Southampton so I'm looking for suggestions for a hotel that's close to the airport (doesn't have to be IN the airport). Ideally, if the hotel also has access to public transportation so I can explore London after I've checked in, that would be great (but not a must).

I've seen a couple of Hilton locations, but open to any other suggestions.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

PatrickZ80

Re: London Hotel Suggestions

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:58 am

I guess it entirely depends on your budget, how much do you want to spend? I could suggest you some very good hotels, but if they're too expensive for you it would be useless. On the other hand I could suggest you some very cheap hotels, but you might not like them as they're not fancy enough.

directorguy

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:24 pm

What do you plan on doing in London? What time does your flight land at Heathrow?
Ideally you can land at LHR, then perhaps stay at a hotel near Victoria, positioning yourself for your train down to Southampton the next day.
Alternatively, why not proceed from Heathrow directly to Southampton and spend the night there?

PI4EVER

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:12 pm

I have stayed at the Hilton that is connected to Terminal 4 via a walkway and last year at the new Hilton Terminal 5.
You can use the Hoppa Bus to get to the Terminal 5 property. I liked it as the rate was cheaper, new hotel w/host of amenities and easy to reach.
I used Heathrow Express to reach central London and bought those tickets ahead of time so a cheaper option than buying day of.
I got off at Paddington and proceeded to tour London for the day on foot, the Hop On/Hop Off tour bus and the Underground system.
I docked in Southampton but used the train to London in lieu of the ground transfer. It was easy, convenient and no issue w/luggage.
Next trip I'd like to spend a day and night in Southampton. A beautiful and historic city. The cruise terminals are modern and efficient.
Safe travels and Bon Voyage!
watch what you want. you may get it.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:17 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I guess it entirely depends on your budget, how much do you want to spend?

No more than £75/night. I'd be happy with Wifi and full breakfast options (not continental...PLEASE...I can't deal with muffins and bread).

directorguy wrote:
What do you plan on doing in London? What time does your flight land at Heathrow?

Flight lands at about 9:00am. I just wanted to do some quick sightseeing. But that's me thinking I'll have enough energy to even make it out of the jet. At 0900UTC, it's 0200PDT, and this assumes I will have slept on the flight (hoping the Y+ seats work).

directorguy wrote:
Alternatively, why not proceed from Heathrow directly to Southampton and spend the night there?

I've also considered that, but my concern is then finding a hotel close enough to the cruise terminal that I can either walk there or call an Uber or something. Besides, I like the idea of staying in London since there's more to see (and the cruise will transfer me from LHR to the cruise terminal). What's there to do in Southampton? Do they have any White Star Line museums? How much does it cost to transfer to Southampton?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Tenaja85

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:46 pm

We've been pleased with the Hub by Premier Inn hotels. The rooms are very compact but modern and clean, and the locations cannot be beat (the last one we stayed at, the Westminster Abbey location, was half a block from Westminster Abbey and a 5-minute walk from Victoria Station, or 2 minutes to the St James Park Tube), and the prices are very reasonable for their location. They do have a breakfast option as well, although we've never taken advantage of it--so I can't speak to how good it is, but there are a lot of pubs and restaurants near their locations.

fbgdavidson

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm

There are quite a few hotels close to the cruise terminal. Nothing very exciting, the Leonardo is about the only one I'd personally stay at but a £75/night budget is going to only get you an afternoon there!

Does the hotel have to provide breakfast? For £75 you're looking at 3* joints, and probably worse in London, none of which are going to throw in a full non-continental breakfast.

For the UK your budget and expectations are somewhat out of kilter, IMO.

PI4EVER wrote:
Next trip I'd like to spend a day and night in Southampton. A beautiful and historic city.

Beautiful? You sure you were in Southampton? :lol: Few cities have been victim of the Hitler School of Destructive Architecture as Southampton. (Yes, I was at University there for 3yrs and quite often go back to watch my Premier League team play)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

directorguy

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:58 am

Hi Einstein,
Southampton has a museum or two- the Sea City Museum and the Tudor House. Most maritime enthusiasts will prefer nearby Portsmouth with its Navy ships dockyards and museums.

However it sounds like you prefer to see London.
Check out www.imperialhotels.co.uk
They have a bunch of hotels all in the same area, Russell Square/Bloomsbury. Their largest hotel, Royal National is for 90 pounds per night (incl English breakfast, NOT continental).
If you stay in the area:
- direct Underground access on the blue Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Russell Square
Alternatively you can prebook a minicab (incl airport meet and greet) for maybe 40-45 pounds
- walking distance to the British Museum (a top London attraction).
- convenient bus access to the National Gallery (another top attraction and must visit for art lovers)
- bus access to Oxford Street
- the low key Russell Sq Park is ideal for a leisurely walk or a run
- one stop away from Covent Garden tube, ideal for going out for a meal, drink, nice shopping

jumpjets

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 am

Hi Einstein - unfortunately London is not a cheap place to stay in hotels, though with the £ being weak against the $ you might find it less expensive than a couple of years ago.

Living in London I don't stay in local hotels but have had a couple of decent reports of the Lord Jim Hotel in Earls court [I just looked at making a dummy booking and on a random night in November it was £81 including breakfast and free wifi]. The hotel is about 200 yards walk from the tube station.

Earls court isn't a bad place to be as the underground station is connected to the District, Circle and Piccadilly underground lines, so getting to see the attractions is quite easy.

It is very easy to get to Earls Court on the Piccadilly line direct from/to Heathrow or if you take the Heathrow express its maybe 10 minutes on the underground from Paddington. If you have any more questions please feel free to send a private message. I am always glad to help visitors get the most out of being in London.