Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

richiemo
Topic Author

Good ol' ATL TSA

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:56 pm

Flew out of ATL this afternoon. As always, I was impressed how well they keep the security lines moving. When I first arrived it looked like it would be an hour wait. But the line kept winding around and around, but we were always moving. I always wonder how one of the biggest airports in the world, (sorry, the biggest) manages to do this process so well when so many others, even smaller regional airports like STL, can't. Hats off to them.

DL747400

Re: Good ol' ATL TSA

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 am

Agreed, ATL seems to do a great job most of the time. Often better than airports much smaller in size and volume.

I guess it is much easier to manage the traffic when most people pass through the Main Terminal security checkpoint. One primary checkpoint = easier to manage the staffing required to keep the flows moving.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

richiemo
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 am

Could be. But whatever, they're to be complimented. What a low-stress experience.

BroadwayLimited

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:25 am

richiemo wrote:
I always wonder how one of the biggest airports in the world, (sorry, the biggest) manages to do this process so well when so many others, even smaller regional airports like STL, can't. Hats off to them.

I don't know the numbers, but is Atlanta the biggest O&D airport? Yes, they are the biggest overall, but I have to assume, that greater than 50% of the traffic at the Atlanta airport, never go through the Atlanta airport security. They are just connecting.
Signed up for Delta and Eastern Frequent Flyer Programs August 30, 1981.

weaglibrium

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:16 am

ATL is the fifth largest O&D airport in the US. LAX, ORD, MCO, and DEN are larger. LAS is sixth largest.

freakyrat

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:20 am

richiemo wrote:
Flew out of ATL this afternoon. As always, I was impressed how well they keep the security lines moving. When I first arrived it looked like it would be an hour wait. But the line kept winding around and around, but we were always moving. I always wonder how one of the biggest airports in the world, (sorry, the biggest) manages to do this process so well when so many others, even smaller regional airports like STL, can't. Hats off to them.

ATL like LAS is using the new automated carry on tray return system with the larger bins which London Hethrow has had for years. This moves people through quicker.

Airstud

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 am

I have connected at ATL more times than I can count but have never ever ever O'd or D'd there. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

n2dru

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:57 am

weaglibrium wrote:
ATL is the fifth largest O&D airport in the US. LAX, ORD, MCO, and DEN are larger. LAS is sixth largest.

Didn't know ATL was the 5th largest..wow. People seems to think Atlanta is all connecting passengers but seems to forget this airport is serving a metro area of over 6 million with many Fortune 500 companies headquartered here. Many people start and end their trips here in Atlanta.

T18

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:10 am

Maybe I'm lucky but when I fly out of STL Its never been more than a 3 minute line for TSA. Now JAX what is the deal there. Never had to go thru TSA in ATL though but I did spend the night in Concourse A once. It certainly is an airport that has its ducks in a neat row from my experience.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

B747forever

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:36 am

weaglibrium wrote:

What is your source for this? Would love to see a complete list. I am very surprised that ATL is 5th largest O&D airport.
Work Hard, Fly Right

weaglibrium

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:42 pm

B747forever wrote:
weaglibrium wrote:

What is your source for this? Would love to see a complete list. I am very surprised that ATL is 5th largest O&D airport.

DOT O&D for Calendar Year 2018.

The vast majority of traffic at ATL is connecting to be sure, but the base is huge. Of their total ~102m passengers, ~38% are local. Those 39m passengers put them at #5 for a single airport. Note that NYC is indisputably the largest US O&D market, but it's split between 3+ airports.

richiemo
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Even if ATL uses the new updated tray system, there's more to it than that. Cause other airports use that and I don;t see the speed that ATL has. I can't help think it's a management style and an overall attitude. They just seem to do everything well. Even the folks who work the food places are great. And quite frankly, Delta is also a great experience now. So just great combo for ATL travelers right now.

litz

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:12 pm

richiemo wrote:
Even if ATL uses the new updated tray system, there's more to it than that. Cause other airports use that and I don;t see the speed that ATL has. I can't help think it's a management style and an overall attitude. They just seem to do everything well. Even the folks who work the food places are great. And quite frankly, Delta is also a great experience now. So just great combo for ATL travelers right now.

ATL (specifically, Delta) invented the tray system ... :-)

cranberrysaus

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm

weaglibrium wrote:
B747forever wrote:
weaglibrium wrote:

DOT O&D for Calendar Year 2018.

The vast majority of traffic at ATL is connecting to be sure, but the base is huge. Of their total ~102m passengers, ~38% are local. Those 39m passengers put them at #5 for a single airport. Note that NYC is indisputably the largest US O&D market, but it's split between 3+ airports.

People often forget that Atlanta is a pretty large city.

ricport

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:03 pm

freakyrat wrote:
richiemo wrote:

ATL like LAS is using the new automated carry on tray return system with the larger bins which London Hethrow has had for years. This moves people through quicker.

Really? Last time I went through LHR (T5), it took close to an hour to get through a not-too-crowded security screening area, because despite all that wonderful technology, there were still 5 lazy, surly, indifferent slob screeners standing around watching one person actually working.

freakyrat

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 pm

ricport wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
richiemo wrote:

Really? Last time I went through LHR (T5), it took close to an hour to get through a not-too-crowded security screening area, because despite all that wonderful technology, there were still 5 lazy, surly, indifferent slob screeners standing around watching one person actually working.

Actually the last time I connected at Heathrow from Terminal 3 AA from DFW to HAM BA in Terminal 5 I had about an 1/12 hrs connecting time and actualy made it through with the bus ride and everything with about 20 minutes to spare. Security at T5 was very quick for mid morning and were hustling people through the lines so they could make their connecting flights. It is also very quick the other way with the expanded security screening area in T3.

L410Turbolet

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:17 pm

freakyrat wrote:
richiemo wrote:

Does it? LHR security is a total disaster, barely anyone speaks English and especially when you travel with a baby, they behave like total arseholes.