Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

detroitbadboy
Topic Author

Which of the US3 has the best hubs?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 pm

I would say Delta does. It doesn't get much better than NYC,DTW,LAX,etc.

IPFreely

Re: Which of the US3 has the best hubs?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Better in what way?

Prost

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 pm

I believe geographically United does, but they have a lot of competition. There are a lot of definitions of ‘best’ Geography? Profitability? Operational?

detroitbadboy
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 pm

Prost wrote:
I believe geographically United does, but they have a lot of competition. There are a lot of definitions of ‘best’ Geography? Profitability? Operational?

Overall. Delta has a good balence of geography (LAX,SEA,and SLC for the west, DTW for the Midwest/northeast and ATL for Georgia/Florida), and profitability (DTW, CVG,SLC).

Yakflyer

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:30 pm

detroitbadboy wrote:

I would agree with your choice of Delta....but for one reason....ATL. I would submit ATL is the best hub in the USA because it has more flights per day than any other hub for any other airline and it has the best margins of any other hub. That meets my definition of best.

OTOH....I hate flying through ATL and avoid it if at all possible.

winginit

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:33 pm

Prost wrote:

I'll second this. EWR is in and of itself as good as it gets to cater to NYC, and throw SFO and IAH into the mix and you've got pretty much a perfect international triangle covering TATL, Latin, and TPAC with DEN and ORD acting as workhorses in the middle for East to West domestic. IAD is gravy.

strfyr51

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Overall? I believe United's hubs are the best located, EWR,IAD, ORD, IAH,DEN, LAX,SFO connecting to HNL, GUM, NRT, and LHR.. If you can't get around the world that way? You weren't going anyway!

TWA772LR

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 pm

1. United
2. Delta
3. American
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Pudelhund

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 pm

United has the best geography but Delta has the best airports. DTW, SLC, SEA, MSP, and ATL are reliable and quick to transfer through. I am always impressed by MSP in the winter. Flew out to HND in a blizzard in February that brought many other airports to a stop.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 pm

Never mind
Last edited by PSU.DTW.SCE on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seabosdca

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 pm

All of them have strengths and weaknesses, but if I were handed an airline I'd rather get United's hubs as a package than either American's or Delta's.

Delta is unbeatable in the eastern US between ATL, DTW, and JFK, but with just SLC and struggles against strong competitors at LAX and SEA, it's weak in the west, and it's dead in Texas.

American is the best-oriented for southward traffic (including Texas's biggest hub), but it has nothing at all in the west (save the same struggle at LAX as DL) and its east coast presence is sort of a dog's breakfast. On the one hand there's a good number of flights at LGA+JFK and a still relatively strong Chicago presence; on the other hand, PHL and CLT are not really the sort of thing you can build a nationwide network around.

United is weak in the southeast (nothing between IAD and IAH) but has great hub assets everywhere else. No one has anything that compares either to EWR or SFO for United; it's pretty well positioned at LAX too; it's increasingly dominating Chicago; and DEN is the only hub of significance in the mountain west.

klm617

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:18 am

Hands down Delta's Detroit hub is the best in the country.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am

Yakflyer wrote:
detroitbadboy wrote:

I would agree with your choice of Delta....but for one reason....ATL. I would submit ATL is the best hub in the USA because it has more flights per day than any other hub for any other airline and it has the best margins of any other hub. That meets my definition of best.

OTOH....I hate flying through ATL and avoid it if at all possible.

Same here for all the good hubs Delta has Atlanta detracts from that that so while MSP, DTW and SLC are great Atlanta sucks
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

EvanWSFO

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am

detroitbadboy wrote:
Prost wrote:

Overall. Delta has a good balence of geography (LAX,SEA,and SLC for the west, DTW for the Midwest/northeast and ATL for Georgia/Florida), and profitability (DTW, CVG,SLC).

Seems like you are omitting one rather large hub in the upper midwest.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

EvanWSFO

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 am

detroitbadboy wrote:
Prost wrote:

Duplicate post.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 am

klm617 wrote:

Wheres the flights to Europe, Africa, and Oceania? Isn't Delta cutting DTW back?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

klm617

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:07 am

TWA772LR wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Wheres the flights to Europe, Africa, and Oceania? Isn't Delta cutting DTW back?

As we speak. But it's still the most convenient of all hubs for transfer passengers. Only 2 concourses and pretty strait forward when it comes to connections. No confusing signage and multiple concourses to navigate through when connecting.

timh4000

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 am

I think it just depends on the person and their travel needs/desires. All 3 can get you wherever you need/want to go without having to make 3 or 4 layovers, unless you're in it to fly around all day long, I'm sure no one on here would ever want to do that lol. I've seen some of the booked flight threads. Not too many strive too hard for non stop. Although it can be convenient too. Business flyers are dictated by their jobs and may have to take a certain airline. All of my phl alb flights are through AA/Piedmont. No choice in the manner other than flight times and even then sometimes I don't always get what I want.

UA777EWRTLV

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:16 am

United, hands down.
EWR=largest *single airport* NYC hub with NYC domestic and long haul reach unmatched by any other US carrier
SFO=strongest transpacific hub of any US carrier, gateway to one of the most economically wealthy regions in the county
IAH=gateway to Latin America and excellent transit hub for east - west traffic in southern half of US
IAD=international gateway to nations capital, reliever hub for transatlantic transfer traffic.
ORD=large long haul presence in nation’s third largest city and great transit point for east-west traffic in northern half of country
DEN=the only true mountain hub
LAX=Let’s call it fluff compared to the other six hubs, but nonetheless significant in itself, serving many major domestic and long hauls destinations from the second largest metropolitan area in the country.
There’s little room for debate. If I were to inherit an airline, it’s tough to top United. I LOVE Delta from a service perspective. And DTW terminals are fantastic (the best airport in the country, perhaps)...but let’s not kid ourselves. Best hub network...United’s NYC/San Fran/Chicago/DC/Denver/LA/Houston presence is simply most impressive in terms of major metropolitan centers covered and geographically well distributed. They’re a beast...vs...LGA? DTW? MSP? SLC? Hardly beefed up long haul networks from the economic powerhouses of the country like UA has at EWR/SFO/ORD/IAH. delta loyalists - your airline is AWESOME! But claiming it’s hub network is the best or most impressive or sexiest? don’t make me laugh...
Last edited by UA777EWRTLV on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

KentB27

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:18 am

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

United probably has the best geographic coverage with their hubs. Between SFC, ORD, EWR, IAD, IAH, and DEN, they have at least one hub in every major region of the United States. Except maybe the SE part of the country.

Delta has some great hubs like ATL, SLC, MSP, and DTW, but they have a weak network in Texas and the SW part of the US. ATL is also vulnerable to bad weather.

American probably has the spottiest geographic distribution of hubs out of the US3. Almost all of their hubs are concentrated in the eastern and southern parts of the US. But DFW and MIA offer a plethora of flights to Latin America that neither United nor Delta can even come close to competing with.

Overall, I would say that United has the most well rounded hubs strictly from a geographic standpoint.

JAMBOJET

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:47 am

I’ll take the Slight AA side:
United is clearly best positioned, by far, for international O&D and connecting pax to those unique destinations, not so great for domestic connections though improving that via iah/den/Ord is their new stated strategy. Absolutely amazing international gateway hubs with corresponding high costs. Zero presence in the SE
Delta has dominant and very profitable fortress hubs that print money and allow them to lose it in NYC (until recently), SEA, and LAX. United will always be bigger in nyc via Newark, but it’s Newark. Delta will always be the biggest across the river in NY proper at the “prestigious airports”. They own Dtw and MSP but those two don’t have the O&D or pull of Chicago but they’re great to connect the rest of the Midwest and likely cheaper too. Nothing to serve Texas outside of major cities
AA has an underappreciated position in the SE and, I feel, is the most underappreciated hub position in general. Third in nyc. Second in Chicago. First in LA. delta has always dominated in the SE but AA has clt and Dfw (with BA to LHR helping in some spots) slowly sucking the huge dominance out of atl from most of the SE ex-ATL via clt, Dfw, and Miami/dca to a lesser extent. Why do an omni connect in ATL out of really anywhere in the southeast on delta when you could have lower travel time via Dfw or clt depending on your destination? It’s literally why AA won’t stop talking about Dfw and clt publicly. It’s taking SE share from delta and doing it very well. AA is the biggest on the most populated part of the country, the East Coast, between hubs in NYC, phl, dca, Clt and mia. Biggest in LA. Biggest (room for a lot of debate here but my opinion) in the middle of the country the way they use Dfw and ORD together. Lousy in the pacific but there. Own Latin America between Dfw with central America (plenty of competition from iah) and MIA with Deep South America. Lousy network if you live anywhere north of lax.

Every airline has a major geographic weakness:
Delta: Texas and everywhere nearby
United: the Southeast
American: the NW (poorly subbed by a less used partner, Alaska; AS is great btw. Not knocking them,, just a comment on their AA relationship)

I’m not really picking anyone but I do think A lot of folks underappreciate AA’s hub position since AA has been an operational/profit basket case lately

ElroyJetson

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:40 am

detroitbadboy wrote:

DL has the most profitable hubs. UA the best geographically.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

Super80Fan

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:24 am

Really depends where in the country you are. For example, I am currently in the Southeast so United basically doesn't have any options unless they offer a cheap/convenient connection through IAH, IAD, ORD, or EWR. Delta and American offer much better service with hubs in MIA, ATL, and CLT.

When I'm in the Northeast, basically all 3 are fine however where I am located American and Delta have the slight edge as it's easier for me to fly out of LGA/JFK than it is flying out of EWR. UA also got rid of the EWR flight at my local airport so that limits my options with them.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Super80Fan

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:33 am

I would also argue UA does NOT have the best "geographical" hub locations. Their hole in the Southeast is large and glaring. There are a number of markets they don't serve at all while even some smaller markets have both Delta Connection/mainline service to ATL and American Eagle/mainline service to MIA and/or CLT. The best geographically in my opinion would be Delta. They are strong in all areas except for Texas and the surrounding areas, however this is alleviated depending on where you are by connecting on a 1-3 hour flight to either LAX, SLC, or ATL. They also have a decent presence at DFW, even if they don't have a hub there anymore.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

ncflyer

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Delta has a beautiful hub in Detroit, yet Chicago is 10x a better market to serve by virtue of its size and economic diversity. No wonder it’s a hub for three airlines, between the two airports.

STT757

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Here’s my list of best hubs:

Northeast: EWR
Southeast: ATL
Latin America: MIA
Texas: DFW
Mid-West: ORD
Mountain region: DEN
California: SFO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

kimimm19

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Delta has the best overall hubs.
United has the best geography (SFO,EWR,ORD,IAH).
Delta has the best secondary hubs/focus cities.

bfitzflyer

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:37 pm

seabosdca wrote:

United is weak in the southeast (nothing between IAD and IAH) but has great hub assets everywhere else. No one has anything that compares either to EWR or SFO for United; it's pretty well positioned at LAX too; it's increasingly dominating Chicago; and DEN is the only hub of significance in the mountain west.

SLC would quality as a hub of significance, no not the size of DEN,but a sizable operation.

CALTECH

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:24 pm

If United added more domestic aircraft and flights, built up some of their hubs to the strength of a Atlanta, definitely United.
Except for the southeast region, Delta and American reign there, but anything could happen in the future.
Spirit could set up their hub in MCO and United could buy or merge them to get it's A-321s and a southeast hub.
Or do the same with JetBlue and get back into JFK.
United has some catching up to do domestically.
You are here.

Kno

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Delta easily, some might argue United has the best geography but there are few places Delta would send you with a geographically less convenient connection. The terminals and airports they are hubbed at are far superior.

strfyr51

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:29 am

United's hubs are the best positioned with EWR/ IAD, ORD/IAH, DEN. SFO/LAX, GUM and NRT. what they lack? is a southeastern hub in Florida to serve South America in conjunction with IAH. I know why they closed the hub gateway at MIA but they still need a Southeastern gateway to Africa and south America. It might be doable if they get the new 737-10's up and running in the near future as they cab connect MIA/FLL to all the other hubs.