Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trauha
Topic Author

Longest delay with paid hotel?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:53 pm

British Airways G-CIVO was supposed to leave last week Wednesday from Las Vegas for Heathrow. It did not. British Airways passengers were put in hotels paid for by BA till Saturday, when the flight finally left. How long delays have you heard of or experienced?

jrkmsp

Re: Longest delay with paid hotel?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Really? Surely passengers could have been reaccommodated much more quickly and comfortably by their JV partner, AA. People could have been moved from LAS to PHX, LAX and any other AA hub and put on BA or AA metal across the pond. To put people up in hotels for four days seems insane.

trauha
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Hence my post and its question, because this indeed was so unusual. It was due to an electrical fire in the cockpit before takeoff that left such a nauseating smell that crews refused to fly the G-CIVO for days. The huge NAMM show at Vegas meant all flights were full to the brim, making substitutions impossible.

downtown273

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:59 pm

I remember being stuck in AGP during the ash cloud issues in northern Europe in April 2010. I was put up in a hotel for a week - but there was really no other alternative of re-routing in that case as the airspace was closed.

Aesma

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Yeah with the Eyjafjallajökul thing many people were stuck for days, including in nice places.

Ziyulu

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Are meals all paid for as well?

airbazar

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:12 pm

jrkmsp wrote:
Really? Surely passengers could have been reaccommodated much more quickly and comfortably by their JV partner, AA. People could have been moved from LAS to PHX, LAX and any other AA hub and put on BA or AA metal across the pond. To put people up in hotels for four days seems insane.

Vegas hotels are cheap. How much is a "walk-up" fare to Europe vs. 4 nights at a hotel? I bet the hotel was cheaper.

trauha
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Are meals all paid for as well?

Meal vouchers were given.

IFlyVeryLittle

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:24 pm

There are worse places to be stuck.

Ziyulu

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 pm

airbazar wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:

Vegas hotels are cheap. How much is a "walk-up" fare to Europe vs. 4 nights at a hotel? I bet the hotel was cheaper.

Not if you add a $99 resort fee to the rate!

WayexTDI

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:55 pm

airbazar wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:

"Walk-up" fares are paid by last minutes passengers; when BA reaccomodates passengers on AA metal, they do not pay "walk-up" fares...

c933103

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Many flights were delayed for similar length during the 911 event?

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
airbazar wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:

Not if you add a $99 resort fee to the rate!

More like half that, at most. And those are mostly just hotels along the strip.

classicjets

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:08 am

On a Sunday afternoon, I was to fly GIB-LGW on easyJet with my girlfriend when their aircraft diverted to Malaga. Most passengers were bused to Spain for the LGW flight, but as my girlfriend had no Schengen visa, easyJet said she would be provided a hotel until Thursday (4 nights) which was the next flight with availability out of GIB. Instead of this, I just got us new tickets on BA for flight a couple hours later.

timh4000

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:37 am

Due to a massive snowstorm I was put up in S.F. for one night. We then were diverted to Dulles the next day and rejected their offer to be put up as we drove to Hampton roads to wait it out with my wife's son and grandkids. I had an appointment in Philadelphia coming up so we just stayed there for a few says and United gave us a voucher for the flight to Albany which we never took. The CTCA pays for all my flights and I'm un Philadelphia as we speak for follow ups and a biopsy. Flying back to ALB later tonight.