Kebbins
Topic Author

Chasing the An-225

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm headed to London and Kiev in three weeks, and as always my trip has a heavy aviation slant. The entirety of my time in England is going to spent flying from London to Duxford to see the Imperial War Museum (and my 30th and final SR-71), and about half of my time in Ukraine will be spent in Chernobyl, with three open days in Kiev.

I know I can't expect Antonov to have the same public face as Boeing, with a bunch of company stores and a whole visitor/tour complex, but surely there has to be a way to find out where the An-225 currently is and if there is a way to see it, even if I am looking through a fence.

Has anyone had any luck tracking the damn thing, or does anyone know if its home base is Gostomel or if it hangs out around KBP or the factory at Sviatoshyn Airfield?

I am about to write a letter to the Antonov PR link with the help of a Ukrainian friend but that seems like such a shot in the dark.

Any tips or advice on how to contact people, or how to find out which people to contact, would be greatly appreciated!

trijetsonly

Re: Chasing the An-225

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm

The An-225 is trackable on flightradar
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ur-82060

However, according to that site it hasn't flown during the last seven months. There have been rumors and stories that with the current political tensions between Russia and Ukraine the spare parts availability is difficult.
Last time I've seen the beast was in May 2018 in Gostomel, parked on the ramp and I was in a chartered plane above.

Offtopic: Have fun in Chernobyl. Make sure to stay in the zone for at least two days. During the day that place is packed with Chinese tourists in large busses. In the late afternoon all the single day tours leave the area and it becomes really special.
I did that last summer, staying in the zone for two days, including the night. It was a really unique experience.
Happy Landings

Kebbins
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks for the tip!

I've sent a message to the Antonov Airlines twitter page, but apparently it is managed by a group in London. A Ukrainian friend is helping me write a letter in Ukrainian that I will send to the PR link and the Antonov Company social media page. Since diving in I've found that Gostomel seems to be the permanent home of the 225, and there is a huge canopy structure it is parked under. I've even dug up a few 225 schedule pages but none have been update for 2019. With my luck, the damn thing will be in the US when I'm in Kyiv! Actually, I'm a lucky guy so... maybe...

Yep, I actually sprung for the private 3-day tour of Chernobyl. I couldn't find anyone to go with me so I bit the bullet with the goal of hitting the really hard to see spots and the sunset/offtime photo opportunities. Thanks for the confirmation of my choice! I appreciate the tips!

Phosphorus

Fri May 03, 2019 9:28 pm

An-225 -- it's base indeed is Gostomel; I wonder if it ever visits Svyatoshyn airfield.

While over here, make sure to spare some time to visit IEV airport/Zhuliany and the aviation museum there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_S ... ion_Museum
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

MHG

Sun May 05, 2019 5:49 am

Phosphorus wrote:
An-225 -- it's base indeed is Gostomel; I wonder if it ever visits Svyatoshyn airfield.

While over here, make sure to spare some time to visit IEV airport/Zhuliany and the aviation museum there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_S ... ion_Museum

... and give Motor Sich with its AN-24 or AN-140 - or YAK-40 / AN-74 if you´re really lucky - a try as long as they´re running their scheduled routes from/to IEV.
Their flights are not expensive by western standards and the Motor Sich website allows easy booking.
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.