Fargo
Topic Author

DL focus cities of the future (RDU, AUS, BNA)?

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:58 pm

I know this will probably open a can of worms, but please try to keep this civil unlike previous threads regarding similar topics.

This user had this to say on the Nashville Aviation regarding DL.

CLJFlyer wrote:
I just left my company's travel trade show and Delta was present. As I was speaking to the Delta reps their jaws dropped....I told them that I heard that the Delta lounge at BNA is being increased by 10,000 sq ft and that it was bigger than Indy's and Raleigh's which is a focus city (they were very surprised I knew that Raleigh was a focus city, but I thought it was public info.) Then I proceeded to tell them that I heard that BNA is getting TATL service...they automatically asked me who I knew inside of Delta. I let them think that I had a contact inside of Delta, but actually all of the information I dropped on them was off of this website, haha.

The reps confirmed with me, the lounge is getting increased by 10,000 sq ft, outward and upward. They also confirmed that Raleigh, Austin, and now Nashville officially are considered DL focus cities. The growth for DL at BNA has been 18% YOY. BNA is getting TATL service, either to CDG or AMS in the near future. They gave me a route map that states that DL flies to more cities than any other (legacy) airline from BNA, and has seasonal service to MCO.

I asked them about matching my AS status, and the rep gave me her business card and asked me to e-mail her and she will grant me complimentary Gold status. I've never had status with Delta so this will definitely get me to move my flying and $$ to Delta from now on.

Of course, since we don't have anything concrete at this point, we shouldn't read too much into it, but this is interesting if true. I know winginit insisted to me a while back that Nashville was indeed going to be a focus city along with RDU, BOS and AUS, but I didn't believe him. Maybe I was wrong.

Has anyone heard any details regarding this?

I can understand why DL would want RDU and AUS as focus cities, but BNA? I get Nashville is a rapidly growing market and DL is already the largest legacy there, but WN has a big station that could one day be their largest. Why would DL want a full focus city at BNA with that and with their ATL hub a 50 minute plane ride away?

Again, please keep this civil. I am interested to know people's thoughts on this.

Cubsrule

Re: DL focus cities of the future (RDU, AUS, BNA)?

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm

Fargo wrote:
I can understand why DL would want RDU and AUS as focus cities, but BNA? I get Nashville is a rapidly growing market and DL is already the largest legacy there, but WN has a big station that could one day be their largest. Why would DL want a full focus city at BNA with that and with their ATL hub a 50 minute plane ride away?.

I don't know what will or won't happen, but the case for BNA as a focus city is a couple-fold. First, even the most committed HVCs cannot fly WN all the time. I have held Companion Pass at various times but am virtually always low-level elite on my legacy of choice too. That's just a function of WN's network. Some selective DL additions would make me a lot more loyal to DL and a lot less likely to stray, and I think I'm not the only one.

Post-consolidation, DL has much less of a network advantage in the southeast than it did pre-consolidation. AA's hubs surround BNA better and I have found AA a more useful legacy recently for that reason. Again, some selected added routes might help DL.
Last edited by Cubsrule on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

vadodara

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pm

Ironic that both BNA and RDU were AA hubs/focus cities in past.

For a more stable service that might survive a downturn in economy, perhaps more of a focus city approach will work better.

Scarebus34

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 pm

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

flymco753

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 pm

MCO
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

compensateme

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Your logic reminds me of the a.net days in which users would get excited because an airport striped a parking spot with a “new” aircraft, and this was proof X airline intended to acquire X aircraft, or operate X aircraft into that airport.

There is no credible evidence to support that DL is interested in creating focus cities at BNA, AUS, etc. in fact, DL recently said that it’s currently looking at renewing its fleet and growing its trunk hubs through upgauging, as opposed to the organic expansion we’ve seen in recent years. I’d take that to suggest they’re not currently interested in opening new focus cities...
We don’t care what your next flight is.

FSDan

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm interested to know where exactly DL draws the "focus city" line. CVG and RDU are obvious, at ~80 departures and several dozen destinations each. On the other hand, the likes of AUS and BNA are each connected to one or two non-hub DL stations (weekend MCO and CUN service for BNA, daily CVG service for AUS, daily RDU service for both) and are connected to the smaller hubs (SEA, LAX, BOS) as well as the major hubs, but I'm surprised DL considers either of those a focus city in their current form. At the end of the day, the term "focus city" is pretty arbitrary...

Regarding future DL growth at AUS and BNA, I could definitely see targeted expansion at both airports over the next few years given the fast growth of those two metro areas and their economies, and their status as "trendy" cities. A transatlantic flight from BNA would be in line with DL's recent additions like IND-CDG and TPA-AMS. On the domestic side, I wouldn't expect too many new destinations, as DL is constrained at the most obvious ones (limited gate space at ORD, limited slots at DCA, etc.) and ATL is nearby.

The issue at AUS is that most logical domestic adds for DL would be pretty long routes and/or are already well served. SJC could make sense given that DL has been growing at both SJC and AUS and the two have strong industry connections. I wouldn't be surprised by weekend service to MCO and CUN. Other potential adds such as PDX, LAS, DEN, or IAD seem too competitive and too long for DL to want to jump in anytime soon.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Fargo
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:30 pm

FSDan wrote:
I'm interested to know where exactly DL draws the "focus city" line. CVG and RDU are obvious, at ~80 departures and several dozen destinations each. On the other hand, the likes of AUS and BNA are each connected to one or two non-hub DL stations (weekend MCO and CUN service for BNA, daily CVG service for AUS. daily RDU service for both) and are connected to the smaller hubs (SEA, LAX, BOS) as well as the major hubs, but I'm surprised DL considers either of those a focus city in their current form. At the end of the day, the term "focus city" is pretty arbitrary...

Regarding future DL growth at AUS and BNA, I could definitely see targeted expansion at both airports over the next few years given the fast growth of those two metro areas and their economies, and their status as "trendy" cities. A transatlantic flight from BNA would be in line with DL's recent additions like IND-CDG and TPA-AMS. On the domestic side, I wouldn't expect too many new destinations, as DL is constrained at the most obvious ones (limited gate space at ORD, limited slots at DCA, etc.) and ATL is nearby.

The issue at AUS is that most logical domestic adds for DL would be pretty long routes and/or are already well served. SJC could make sense given that DL has been growing at both SJC and AUS and the two have strong industry connections. I wouldn't be surprised by weekend service to MCO and CUN. Other potential adds such as PDX, LAS, DEN, or IAD seem too competitive and too long for DL to want to jump in anytime soon.

If I had to take a guess, an official focus city is one with 70+ flights and at least 5 true p2p routes to key business destinations, plus TATL service. This is why I have trouble seeing BNA as an official DL focus city, WN already serves the market well and may have plans to make it one of their largest stations. Not really sure where DL could add domestically that wouldn't make sense just flying to ATL. I could definitely see TATL service, but that's it.

AUS on the other hand is a much more fragmented market. Yes, it has many carriers on key routes and WN has a decent sized presence, but it is not a majority. As such, I don't sense there is as much loyalty to one particular airline. Since WN isn't a premium airline and DL has no nearby hubs, an AUS focus city could capture a good chuck of the business community.

FSDan

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Fargo wrote:
FSDan wrote:
I'm interested to know where exactly DL draws the "focus city" line.

If I had to take a guess, an official focus city is one with 70+ flights and at least 5 true p2p routes to key business destinations, plus TATL service.

By that measure, I wouldn't expect either AUS or BNA to be an "official focus city" in the next few years... Growth markets certainly, but IMO the only way AUS could grow to be a 70+ departure station for DL is if they decide to start a bunch of intra-Texas flying, and I'm not sure the business case is there for them to make that decision. Maybe years down the road if Austin continues its crazy growth and DL's able to have some level of success expanding to some P2P markets outside of Texas, but not soon.

Fargo wrote:
This is why I have trouble seeing BNA as an official DL focus city, WN already serves the market well and may have plans to make it one of their largest stations.

I'm not sure where this idea is coming from... BNA only recently passed 100 daily departures for WN even after being above the 70-80 departure mark for years and years. What makes you think WN is planning on doubling it?

dafunk10

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Fargo wrote:
FSDan wrote:
I'm interested to know where exactly DL draws the "focus city" line. CVG and RDU are obvious, at ~80 departures and several dozen destinations each. On the other hand, the likes of AUS and BNA are each connected to one or two non-hub DL stations (weekend MCO and CUN service for BNA, daily CVG service for AUS. daily RDU service for both) and are connected to the smaller hubs (SEA, LAX, BOS) as well as the major hubs, but I'm surprised DL considers either of those a focus city in their current form. At the end of the day, the term "focus city" is pretty arbitrary...

If I had to take a guess, an official focus city is one with 70+ flights and at least 5 true p2p routes to key business destinations, plus TATL service. This is why I have trouble seeing BNA as an official DL focus city, WN already serves the market well and may have plans to make it one of their largest stations. Not really sure where DL could add domestically that wouldn't make sense just flying to ATL. I could definitely see TATL service, but that's it.

AUS on the other hand is a much more fragmented market. Yes, it has many carriers on key routes and WN has a decent sized presence, but it is not a majority. As such, I don't sense there is as much loyalty to one particular airline. Since WN isn't a premium airline and DL has no nearby hubs, an AUS focus city could capture a good chuck of the business community.

trying to think about what destinations would work for a DL focus city at BNA....new adds that make the most sense probably include AUS, PDX, MCO, CVG, maybe BDL or RIC plus a TATL (AMS or CDG) along with more frequency to existing hubs and focus cities....from there, other airports like DCA, MSY, TPA, RSW, FLL, PIT, SJC, IND, PNS, etc. that make sense in the local business/leisure community and DL's network are already covered pretty robustly by WN or AA/UA

jplatts

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:07 am

Fargo wrote:
FSDan wrote:

DL could add nonstop service to AUS from smaller Texas markets that currently have no DL presence such as AMA, CRP, LBB, and MAF, and DL adding AUS-AMA, AUS-CRP, AUS-LBB, and AUS-MAF would provide easier connectivity to ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, MEX, MSP, JFK, and RDU from these smaller Texas markets (and vice versa). There are also some DL frequent flyers in the ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, MSP, NYC, and RDU markets that need to connect to smaller Texas destinations not currently served by DL, and DL adding nonstop service to smaller Texas destinations out of AUS would allow DL to better serve its frequent flyers in its Midwestern and East Coast hub/focus city markets.

FSDan wrote:
By that measure, I wouldn't expect either AUS or BNA to be an "official focus city" in the next few years... Growth markets certainly, but IMO the only way AUS could grow to be a 70+ departure station for DL is if they decide to start a bunch of intra-Texas flying, and I'm not sure the business case is there for them to make that decision.

There might actually be a business case for DL adding nonstop service out of AUS to smaller Texas markets that currently do not have any DL presence as doing so would provide DL frequent flyers in its hub and focus city markets with 1-stop connectivity to smaller Texas markets on DL. DL also would be able to connect passengers onto AM's AUS-MEX nonstop flight from smaller Texas markets if DL adds nonstop service to smaller Texas destinations from AUS. DL might be able to make DL Connection nonstop service to AUS from smaller Texas markets work with connecting traffic to DL hubs, DL focus cities, and AM's AUS-MEX nonstop flights.

FSDan

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:09 am

dafunk10 wrote:
trying to think about what destinations would work for a DL focus city at BNA....new adds that make the most sense probably include AUS, PDX, MCO, CVG, maybe BDL or RIC plus a TATL (AMS or CDG) along with more frequency to existing hubs and focus cities....from there, other airports like DCA, MSY, TPA, RSW, FLL, PIT, SJC, IND, PNS, etc. that make sense in the local business/leisure community and DL's network are already covered pretty robustly by WN or AA/UA

Honestly, I think ORD and DCA are some of the only domestic destinations that would make sense, and mostly just because they're huge markets in general. Maybe AUS could make sense too, but I wouldn't put money on it. Unfortunately, I don't think DL has the slots at DCA or the gate space at ORD to justify starting either route, as they'd probably have to cut something else much more successful to do it.

Of the other destinations you mentioned, MCO is already flown (weekend only), CVG was recently cut, and most of the rest just aren't important enough markets for DL to justify overflying a hub. Since BNA is so close to ATL, I think the upside to starting a P2P route from BNA has to be really strong in order for DL to consider it. I do agree that either CDG or AMS could happen.

MIflyer12

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:14 am

jplatts wrote:
DL could add nonstop service to AUS from smaller Texas markets that currently have no DL presence such as AMA, CRP, LBB, and MAF, and DL adding AUS-AMA, AUS-CRP, AUS-LBB, and AUS-MAF would provide easier connectivity to ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, MEX, MSP, JFK, and RDU from these smaller Texas markets (and vice versa).

That's an unspeakably bad idea, all but guaranteed to lose big $. A DL focus city of 50-70 flights at AUS will not profitably serve tertiary Texas markets in competition with AA's 900-flights a day DFW hub. DL needs AUS routes with O&D to support CR9/717/A220 aircraft.

Fargo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:19 am

FSDan wrote:
By that measure, I wouldn't expect either AUS or BNA to be an "official focus city" in the next few years... Growth markets certainly, but IMO the only way AUS could grow to be a 70+ departure station for DL is if they decide to start a bunch of intra-Texas flying, and I'm not sure the business case is there for them to make that decision. Maybe years down the road if Austin continues its crazy growth and DL's able to have some level of success expanding to some P2P markets outside of Texas, but not soon.

BNA no, but AUS, maybe. DL (which currently has 4 gates at AUS) could have access to up to 12 gates when the full eastern extension opens in the summer (8 plus 4 common use dual jet bridge gates). That leaves room for 70+ flights. Plus, with both LHR and FRA now being served on their rival alliances from AUS, I'm sure DL would want to launch CDG to compete. I don't expect it within the next year, but barring a severe economic downturn, within 2-3 years, I could most definitely see AUS as a true DL focus city.

FSDan wrote:
Fargo wrote:
This is why I have trouble seeing BNA as an official DL focus city, WN already serves the market well and may have plans to make it one of their largest stations.

I'm not sure where this idea is coming from... BNA only recently passed 100 daily departures for WN even after being above the 70-80 departure mark for years and years. What makes you think WN is planning on doubling it?

IIRC, WN at BNA passed 100 a few years ago. It was to be somewhere in the 130+ flight range this summer before (I think?) the MAX groundings forced WN to scale back its summer schedule. WN is scheduled to pick up an additional 6 gates in 2020 as part of the D expansion. When BNA Vision is all said and done, they should have at least 20 gates. That is enough for 150+ flights if they wanted to. We are seeing some indications that WN may want to move more connecting traffic from ATL to BNA, where there is less competition. It would not surprise me if in the next few years, markets such as RIC, GSP, IND, etc, get moved to BNA. Heck, it also wouldn't surprise me if BNA was upgraded to an operating base.

I have no idea what their actual plans are, but the signs are there that BNA will play a significant part in WN's network in the coming years.
Last edited by Fargo on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fargo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:25 am

jplatts wrote:
Fargo wrote:
FSDan wrote:

DL could add nonstop service to AUS from smaller Texas markets that currently have no DL presence such as AMA, CRP, LBB, and MAF, and DL adding AUS-AMA, AUS-CRP, AUS-LBB, and AUS-MAF would provide easier connectivity to ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, MEX, MSP, JFK, and RDU from these smaller Texas markets (and vice versa). There are also some DL frequent flyers in the ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, MSP, NYC, and RDU markets that need to connect to smaller Texas destinations not currently served by DL, and DL adding nonstop service to smaller Texas destinations out of AUS would allow DL to better serve its frequent flyers in its Midwestern and East Coast hub/focus city markets.

FSDan wrote:
By that measure, I wouldn't expect either AUS or BNA to be an "official focus city" in the next few years... Growth markets certainly, but IMO the only way AUS could grow to be a 70+ departure station for DL is if they decide to start a bunch of intra-Texas flying, and I'm not sure the business case is there for them to make that decision.

There might actually be a business case for DL adding nonstop service out of AUS to smaller Texas markets that currently do not have any DL presence as doing so would provide DL frequent flyers in its hub and focus city markets with 1-stop connectivity to smaller Texas markets on DL. DL also would be able to connect passengers onto AM's AUS-MEX nonstop flight from smaller Texas markets if DL adds nonstop service to smaller Texas destinations from AUS. DL might be able to make DL Connection nonstop service to AUS from smaller Texas markets work with connecting traffic to DL hubs, DL focus cities, and AM's AUS-MEX nonstop flights.

jplatts, those adds would only happen in a hub. A DL hub at AUS isn't going to happen in the near future. They lack enough terminal space for a connecting operation, and while they have the space to build it, it will be about a decade before a hub is even a realistic possibility.

FSDan

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:27 am

jplatts wrote:
DL might be able to make DL Connection nonstop service to AUS from smaller Texas markets work with connecting traffic to DL hubs, DL focus cities, and AM's AUS-MEX nonstop flights.

I think that's a huge "might"... In almost every case, connections from AMA, LBB, MFE, CRP, etc. are better flowed over DFW or IAH than AUS. The only thing I think AUS has going for it in the intra-Texas market is some O&D traffic due to being the state capitol. But I'm sure the O&D traffic to Dallas and Houston dwarfs whatever O&D traffic these cities have to Austin.

At this stage in the game, I think any expansion DL does at AUS will be driven by where the Austin tech/business traffic wants to go.

FSDan

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:38 am

Fargo wrote:
FSDan wrote:

BNA no, but AUS, maybe. DL (which currently has 4 gates at AUS) could have access to up to 12 gates when the full eastern extension opens in the summer (8 plus 4 common use dual jet bridge gates). That leaves room for 70+ flights. Plus, with both LHR and FRA now being served on their rival alliances from AUS, I'm sure DL would want to launch CDG to compete. I don't expect it within the next year, but barring a severe economic downturn, within 2-3 years, I could most definitely see AUS as a true DL focus city.

Just because DL could have access to up to 12 gates doesn't mean they'll expand willy nilly just to fill the available space... Similarly, they're not going to fly AUS-Europe just "to compete". They will add targeted flights to markets where they feel they can capture a significant amount of high value O&D business traffic. Maybe that will include Europe; maybe it won't. I don't think it will result in 70+ flights in the near future.

Fargo wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Fargo wrote:

IIRC, WN at BNA passed 100 a few years ago. It was to be somewhere in the 130+ flight range this summer before (I think?) the MAX groundings forced WN to scale back its summer schedule. WN is scheduled to pick up an additional 6 gates in 2020 as part of the D expansion. When BNA Vision is all said and done, they should have at least 20 gates. That is enough for 150+ flights if they wanted to. We are seeing some indications that WN may want to move more connecting traffic from ATL to BNA, where there is less competition. It would not surprise me if in the next few years, markets such as RIC, GSP, IND, etc, get moved to BNA. Heck, it also wouldn't surprise me if BNA was upgraded to an operating base.

I have no idea what their actual plans are, but the signs are there that BNA will play a significant part in WN's network in the coming years.

I guess in my book, BNA taking over some additional WN connecting traffic from ATL isn't the same as BNA becoming "one of their largest stations". The latter statement would put BNA in a category with LAS, DEN, MDW, and BWI, which I don't see happening.

Fargo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:58 am

FSDan wrote:
Fargo wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Just because DL could have access to up to 12 gates doesn't mean they'll expand willy nilly just to fill the available space... Similarly, they're not going to fly AUS-Europe just "to compete". They will add targeted flights to markets where they feel they can capture a significant amount of high value O&D business traffic. Maybe that will include Europe; maybe it won't. I don't think it will result in 70+ flights in the near future.

If SEA and BOS are any indications, they are willing to build up fast if they wanted. Yes, it's not exactly apples to apples, but it nonetheless is pretty similar. Texas is a huge and rapidly growing market, I highly doubt DL, which has a history of targeting strategic gaps, wants to sit Texas out completely, which is essentially what they are doing right now.

FSDan wrote:
Fargo wrote:
FSDan wrote:

I guess in my book, BNA taking over some additional WN connecting traffic from ATL isn't the same as BNA becoming "one of their largest stations". The latter statement would put BNA in a category with LAS, DEN, MDW, and BWI, which I don't see happening.

Maybe not quite to that level, but as big as the next tier down in DAL, PHX, MCO, HOU, etc, why not? BNA is in a unique position at the center of the eastern US, connections there would be very convenient.

Cactusjuba

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:15 am

I have to laugh when I see some people bristle about what constitutes a "focus" city. The only real opinion that matters is that of Delta Network Planning. I've watched presentations and Q&As by the VP of Network, also the Director of Domestic Network both refer to AUS as a focus city, and Boston as a "Coastal Hub". I get from the outsider this seems purely speculative based on gates/routes etc, but that's how they're referred to internally.

ERJ170

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:21 am

So, first, let’s understand a fundamental thing here. Delta did not just up and name RDU a focus city overnight. Delta saw an opportunity to grow RDU after the AA Eagle dehub. So (1) OPPORTUNITY. Delta started dropped routes that no other airline was serving (2) Historical Data. Delta organically added and dropped new potential routes to determine what would work (3) EXPERIMENTATION. Delta went after corporate contracts that AA left behind (4) FINANCIAL BENEFITS. Delta researched and added routes in cooperation with RDUAA and RTRP. (5) CORPORATE CONTRACTS. Delta continued a slow growth to strong markets already served by other hubs and strong markets. But no where.. from RDU or BOS, do they serve local connecting market. There is no intra-Carolina or Virginia from RDU. There is no intra-New England from BOS.

So, my question is, why would DL do intra-Texas from AUS or regional from BNA? Why would they want to connect those cities through AUS when they have SLC right there or through BNA when ATL and CVG are bracketing it? They wouldn’t. What market share and contracts are they going to get from Either? Not much. Unlike RDU, there was no huge mass exit of a hub from either. Delta would have to fight hard and strong to grab market share from WN, UA, AA, even F9.. to get market share from either. They didn’t have to do it at RDU.. it was handed to them from AA. And RDU is kinda an anomaly because it’s a stronger business market than leisure market with a huge number of traveling business people. I don’t know about other places but I doubt it’s quite as unique. And lastly, Delta has over 50 years history at RDU of steady growing.

So, I don’t understand what DL could get out of making a focus city at either. But that’s just my thoughts.
Aiming High and going far..

Fargo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:24 am

Cactusjuba wrote:
I have to laugh when I see some people bristle about what constitutes a "focus" city. The only real opinion that matters is that of Delta Network Planning. I've watched presentations and Q&As by the VP of Network, also the Director of Domestic Network both refer to AUS as a focus city, and Boston as a "Coastal Hub". I get from the outsider this seems purely speculative based on gates/routes etc, but that's how they're referred to internally.

My above answer was just a rough definition, but DL is inconsistent with how they view hubs/focus cities. BOS in many ways functions as a hub, even though it officially is a focus city based on publicly available info.

Did they refer to BNA as a focus city in that presentation?

IPFreely

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:46 am

Fargo wrote:
My above answer was just a rough definition, but DL is inconsistent with how they view hubs/focus cities. BOS in many ways functions as a hub, even though it officially is a focus city based on publicly available info.

Delta has to refer to BOS as a focus city and not a hub.

Midwestindy

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:49 am

Why is RDU considered on this thread with AUS and BNA in terms of focus cities

Secondly, AUS has been rumored on here for 2 years and still nothing, this is just beating a dead horse.
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

FSDan

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:50 am

Fargo wrote:
If SEA and BOS are any indications, they are willing to build up fast if they wanted. Yes, it's not exactly apples to apples, but it nonetheless is pretty similar. Texas is a huge and rapidly growing market, I highly doubt DL, which has a history of targeting strategic gaps, wants to sit Texas out completely, which is essentially what they are doing right now.

Those examples are actually pretty different. Both SEA and BOS are very large airports (they each already had 400+ daily departures for years before DL started their recent buildups) in major coastal cities that have good geography for long haul flights, but at the time didn't have a dominant international hub carrier. DL also had legacy strength in both markets, with NW having operated long haul flights for years from both airports, and with DL also having had a hub at BOS in the past.

Austin is certainly in a booming region, but DL doesn't have the same type of historical strength to build off of there, and AUS isn't big enough or in the right location for it to be turned into the same type of international gateway hub for DL (and DL doesn't need it to be that). Is AUS an above-average operation for DL? Yes. Is it a good candidate for targeted P2P additions? Yes. Is it going to become a RDU or CVG in the next 2 years? Very likely not. Will it ever be a 70+ departure station for DL? Maybe, maybe not. Does DL need to be a top 3 airline in Texas to be successful? No.

FSDan

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:56 am

IPFreely wrote:
Delta has to refer to BOS as a focus city and not a hub.

Why's that? DL will soon be up to ~140 daily departures, will serve 50 destinations nonstop from BOS, and will happily sell you a connection from IND to LIS, BDA to LAX, PIT to DUB, etc.

TWA85

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:43 am

Here are a some quick thoughts to consider.

1. RDU and BNA are similar sized markets. However BNA has approximately 3 million more passengers than RDU.

2. Nashville's GDP is approximately 60% larger than the Research Triangle's GDP which could generate higher yields at BNA.

3. DL could employ the strategy at BNA that they have at RDU. Build up BNA with new destinations and enable DL passengers to overfly ATL. BNA has the same unique geography in relation to ATL that RDU does.

4. Like RDU prior to DL's buildup, BNA has several unused gates which DL could lease for expansion. Concourse B alone has 13 total gates which could give DL room for up to 130 daily flights.

5. DL's desire to build up BNA (if they do in fact desire to do so) could stem from a desire to build market share before WN attempts to further grow in the market. Yes it's bad business to chase market share for the sake of maintaining it; however if DL can build a solid frequent flyer base in the market, it could help keep WN from completely squeezing them out of it in the future.

6. By building up in BNA, along with continuing to grow their existing presence in MCO and RDU, focus cities in BNA, CVG, MCO, and RDU would bracket ATL and help DL keep competitors from encroaching on their dominance in the southeast. WN employs a similar strategy of clustering their focus cities together in various regions (AUS-DAL-HOU, ATL-BNA, MCI-MDW-STL, LAS-LAX-PHX-SAN, OAK-SJC, and MCO-TPA). By clustering focus cities together, WN is better able to maintain their pricing power across an entire region as opposed to individual markets.

7. There will come a time when DL will max out their growth potential at ATL and will need to turn their attention elsewhere. Surrounding ATL with multiple focus cities could help relieve pressure in all directions. Also, these focus cities would give DL more maneuverability in the event of system disruptions in the southeast.

8. Building a focus city (or even a secondary hub) in AUS will help DL fill their largest domestic network gap (Texas). There are obviously no growth opportunities in Dallas or Houston, so AUS is the next best location.

9. DL's recent buildup in BOS and SEA has revealed they are not hesitant to compete with lower cost competitors in markets where they see opportunities for growth. It is not inconceivable to think they wouldn't hesitate to compete with WN in AUS and BNA should they identify growth opportunities at either station. That being said, DL and WN only compete in economy class cabins. DL offers customers a premium class product that WN can't. Even if yields are low among economy class passengers due to competing with WN; as long as DL can keep premium class seats full and their yields high, they can still make decent profit margins.

Cactusjuba

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:32 am

Fargo wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

Yes. BNA is a focus city. Recently surpassed AA as #2 in revenue share, 2019 planning 9% growth in capacity. AUS mentioned as a focus city, likewise 9% capacity growth. RDU 10% growth. SJC will be considered newest focus city, 14% growth through summer with focus to better compete against UA in SFO. 2019 domestic system growth of 3-4%. Core hub (ATL, DTW, MSP, SLC) growth around 2%, primarily driven by gauge.

On A.net I think posters look for a metric benchmark
with a snapshot of the present to classify something as a focus city. Within Network Planning, they look at areas of economic growth, FF base, competition, and target special cities to "focus" acute expansion in. They form a gameplan and timeline that will play out over the course of years and adjusts to the market. They call these focus cities. AUS, BNA & SJC are are specifically referenced as focus cities.

Fargo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:20 am

Cactusjuba wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

Yes. BNA is a focus city. Recently surpassed AA as #2 in revenue share, 2019 planning 9% growth in capacity. AUS mentioned as a focus city, likewise 9% capacity growth. RDU 10% growth. SJC will be considered newest focus city, 14% growth through summer with focus to better compete against UA in SFO. 2019 domestic system growth of 3-4%. Core hub (ATL, DTW, MSP, SLC) growth around 2%, primarily driven by gauge.

with a snapshot of the present to classify something as a focus city. Within Network Planning, they look at areas of economic growth, FF base, competition, and target special cities to "focus" acute expansion in. They form a gameplan and timeline that will play out over the course of years and adjusts to the market. They call these focus cities. AUS, BNA & SJC are are specifically referenced as focus cities.

When they are saying “focus city”, are they actually referring to an RDU-style layout with 80+ flights to numerous p2p flights and TATL service, or are they meaning something else? It seems DL uses this term too loosely at times; I find it hard to believe BNA and SJC will become something like RDU. Large spokes with TATL service? Sure, but RDU-level p2p flights? I don’t know about that......

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:54 pm

TWA85 wrote:
Here are a some quick thoughts to consider.

2. Nashville's GDP is approximately 60% larger than the Research Triangle's GDP which could generate higher yields at BNA.

There are actually two metro areas that comprise the Research Triangle, Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill. Combined, their GDP is about the same as Nashville. (And yes, I realize we could do the calculation nearly ad infinitum if we include nearby areas that are in the catchment of both airports such as Bowling Green, Rocky Mount, etc. The point is, they are nearly identical.)

zakuivcustom

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Secondly, AUS has been rumored on here for 2 years and still nothing, this is just beating a dead horse.

It's the same few posters over and over again anyway (Including the OP of this topic - this is not the first thread).

Cactusjuba wrote:

Sources other than yourselves?

Cactusjuba wrote:

Sounds to me the definition of your so-call "focus city" and "focus city" in a broader aviation sense is totally different.

Fine, DL network planning think they should "focus" on growth at, let say, AUS/BNA/SJC. That doesn't make them focus city in an aviation sense.

Maybe AUS/BNA/SJC will eventually growth to RDU's size, maybe not. But right now, AUS with zero flights outside of DL hub (ATL, DTW, MSP, JFK, LAX, SLC, SEA) and DL focus city (BOS, CVG, RDU) just doesn't make it anywhere a focus city in aviation sense. Same for BNA (BNA does have a weekend flight to CUN, but so does MCI, IND, MKE, etc.).

Just for comparison, RDU has flight to places like IND, BWI, CMH, CLE, TPA, PHL, ORD, BDL (along with BNA, MCO, etc.). Can you say the same for AUS/BNA? No.

Cactusjuba

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:29 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It's the same few posters over and over again anyway (Including the OP of this topic - this is not the first thread).

Cactusjuba wrote:

Sources other than yourselves?

Cactusjuba wrote:

Sounds to me the definition of your so-call "focus city" and "focus city" in a broader aviation sense is totally different.

Fine, DL network planning think they should "focus" on growth at, let say, AUS/BNA/SJC. That doesn't make them focus city in an aviation sense.

Maybe AUS/BNA/SJC will eventually growth to RDU's size, maybe not. But right now, AUS with zero flights outside of DL hub (ATL, DTW, MSP, JFK, LAX, SLC, SEA) and DL focus city (BOS, CVG, RDU) just doesn't make it anywhere a focus city in aviation sense. Same for BNA (BNA does have a weekend flight to CUN, but so does MCI, IND, MKE, etc.).

Just for comparison, RDU has flight to places like IND, BWI, CMH, CLE, TPA, PHL, ORD, BDL (along with BNA, MCO, etc.). Can you say the same for AUS/BNA? No.

I don't know the specific criteria Network uses to classify a focus city. That's a great question to ask. They don't use the term flippantly for any city that is a growing market like you interpreted from my suggestion. In two separate discussions, when asked about focus cities, they called RDU, CVG, BNA, AUS & SJC focus cities and went about discussing the details of each of those markets individually.
Sources are literally the horse's mouth: VP of Network Planning, and the Managing Director of Domestic Network Planning. What more are you looking for, a link to the WSJ or something? Or a documented plan on a future number of departures/destinations? Media of them answering the very things debated on this forum does exist. If you work for DL I can tell you where to look.

zakuivcustom

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
I don't know the specific criteria Network uses to classify a focus city. That's a great question to ask. They don't use the term flippantly for any city that is a growing market like you interpreted from my suggestion. In two separate discussions, when asked about focus cities, they called RDU, CVG, BNA, AUS & SJC focus cities and went about discussing the details of each of those markets individually.
Sources are literally the horse's mouth: VP of Network Planning, and the Managing Director of Domestic Network Planning. What more are you looking for, a link to the WSJ or something? Or a documented plan on a future number of departures/destinations? Media of them answering the very things debated on this forum does exist. If you work for DL I can tell you where to look.

I guess until there's some sort of PR from DL that specifically put the like of AUS/BNA/SJC as "focus city", it'll remain in debate.

My personal take is from a network standpoint - it's just hard to call an airport anything other than "spoke" when there's no connection to anything but other hubs/"focus cities". On the other hand, yes, I wouldn't be surprise if you start seeing DL doubling/tripling the amount of flights out of AUS/BNA/SJC sometimes in the next decade.

P.S. I'm just your average aviation enthusiast. I don't work for any airlines nor any aviation industry consultant or anything like that.

compensateme

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:11 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

There is no formal definition for "hub" or "focus city" but it's generally accepted that the later focuses on markets where an airline is flying to beyond its hubs. E.g. DL adding significantly capacity BNA-ATL does not make it a focus city, but DL adding BNA-DFW, BNA-SJC, BNA-ORD, etc. does. The reason being is that DL can easily add/remove capacity from its hubs, but flying beyond them requires significant resources -- everything from a dedicated ground (sales) team to the route itself (as losses will be tolerated at first).

Now, you may have just solved the mystery of the LinkedIn posting regarding AUS -- internally, DL considers its largest growing markets, even to its own hubs, to be focus cities. But when the present externally, they adhere to the principles I listed above.

RDUDDJI

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:34 pm

TWA85 wrote:

1. RDU and BNA are similar sized markets. However BNA has approximately 3 million more passengers than RDU.

BNA is a WN hub. Take out the connecting traffic and RDU and BNA are marginally different.

TWA85 wrote:

Source? I don’t doubt BNA is larger but not by anywhere near that margin.

Edit: figured this one out. You didn’t include Durham MSA. Don’t worry you’re not the first to make that mistake.

Including Durham they’re about the same. RDU might actually be bigger.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Jshank83

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:08 pm

For me it doesn't matter who calls it a focus city the airline, airport, bob from the suburbs, it is about flights. If it is called a focus city but the route tree doesn't show that, then does it really matter what it is called. If I can't fly may places extra over other stations that aren't focus cities then we are arguing over title that doesn't really mean anything.

n7371f

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:09 am

DL has had its eyes on AUS for some time. There will be additional service, up gauging.

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 am

compensateme wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:
Fargo wrote:

There is no formal definition for "hub" or "focus city" but it's generally accepted that the later focuses on markets where an airline is flying to beyond its hubs. E.g. DL adding significantly capacity BNA-ATL does not make it a focus city, but DL adding BNA-DFW, BNA-SJC, BNA-ORD, etc. does. The reason being is that DL can easily add/remove capacity from its hubs, but flying beyond them requires significant resources -- everything from a dedicated ground (sales) team to the route itself (as losses will be tolerated at first).

Now, you may have just solved the mystery of the LinkedIn posting regarding AUS -- internally, DL considers its largest growing markets, even to its own hubs, to be focus cities. But when the present externally, they adhere to the principles I listed above.

I think you nailed it on the job posting.
They hired a "trash man" and called him a "sanitation engineer"

CLJFlyer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:20 pm

compensateme wrote:
Your logic reminds me of the a.net days in which users would get excited because an airport striped a parking spot with a “new” aircraft, and this was proof X airline intended to acquire X aircraft, or operate X aircraft into that airport.

There is no credible evidence to support that DL is interested in creating focus cities at BNA, AUS, etc. in fact, DL recently said that it’s currently looking at renewing its fleet and growing its trunk hubs through upgauging, as opposed to the organic expansion we’ve seen in recent years. I’d take that to suggest they’re not currently interested in opening new focus cities...

I guess I was right all along

compensateme

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:16 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
I guess I was right all along

How so? None of these markets have been named "focus cities" in the sense a.net digests the definition -- e.g. point-to-point flights. Instead, DL's merely identified these markets where opportunities to add significant capacity exists. That could simply mean replacing a bunch of MD-88 with A321 at BNA.