IAHFLYR
Topic Author

FRA Connections

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:02 pm

We will be traveling in coming months on UA EWR-FRA with a change to LH on to MXP. Haven't connected in FRA in about five years and I understand they've expanded some so am hoping to get some information as what to expect when we arrive from those who have transited in FRA recently.

The last few weeks the UA flight has been parking in the A 20-28 gates so I hope that continues. if so I expect we will have to clear passport control and then follow the signs to connecting flights. We have about three hours so was planning on utilizing the AC Maple Leaf Lounge on the B concourse as well as the LH Senator Lounge before our flight to MXP.

Any and all advice/information will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your help.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

IADCA

Re: FRA Connections

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:16 pm

It hasn't changed that much, but keep an eye out for an early boarding time on the connection to MXP in case they board from a remote stand. Sounds like you have the lounges sorted pretty well, but remember that the LH lounges have showers if you're interested after the TATL. Don't remember if AC does. It's a nice perk to have especially with a fairly leisurely connection time.

Loran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:28 am

The concourse has two floors, A-gates are Schengen gates and the same ones one floor higher are called Z-gates for non-Schengen flights. You will most likely arrive at Z11-25, it is then a very short walking distance to get to the A-Gates one floor below. Passport control and Security are within 100m, but can be congested at times :crowded: Sometimes I see UA flights using remote stands, but even then your transit time is more than enough. The Business and Senator Lounges are in the central area of the A-Gates.

Regards,
Loran
703 717 727 732-9 747 757 767 777 787 AB2/6 310 318-321 330 340 359 380 D8M D91/3/5 D1C M11 M81-90 L10 IL1/8/6/7/W/9/4 TU3/5/2 YK4/2

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Loran wrote:
The concourse has two floors, A-gates are Schengen gates and the same ones one floor higher are called Z-gates for non-Schengen flights. You will most likely arrive at Z11-25, it is then a very short walking distance to get to the A-Gates one floor below. Passport control and Security are within 100m, but can be congested at times :crowded: Sometimes I see UA flights using remote stands, but even then your transit time is more than enough. The Business and Senator Lounges are in the central area of the A-Gates.

Regards,
Loran

Z gates huh....well on the UA flight status site it's been showing them arriving at A....or is that simply how they show arriving flights? I've read the Senator Lounge near A50 is one of the best so hopefully we'll find it right after passport control./security. Sure wish I'd been able to have gotten the EasyPass or whatever it's called which is similar to Global Entry, but not having been able to get an interview with the authorities in Germany....whaaaaa! :)

Thanks again for the info folks, any and all is helpful.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

oschkosch

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:28 pm

UA flights normally are either Z gates or at a remote stand. In case of remote stands you get a bus to the terminal. I believe in both cases you arrive "clean", meaning no necessity for additional security control. You will have to go through passport control however.

Mxp flights normally depart from A gates. The trip to B gates just for the lounge is unnecessary as it is a) a long way and b) there is another passport control in B as B is a mostly non schengen area and the lounge is after the passport control area. Totsl waste of time.

Best lounges are either the normal business lounges or Senator lounges (access only with miles and more gold card). There are a few in the A terminal.

The newest lounge is the so called Panorama Lounge, which is close to gate A26, left hand side. It's really nice and worth it, also has showers etc.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

VSMUT

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:53 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
Loran wrote:

Regards,
Loran

Z gates huh....well on the UA flight status site it's been showing them arriving at A....or is that simply how they show arriving flights? I've read the Senator Lounge near A50 is one of the best so hopefully we'll find it right after passport control./security. Sure wish I'd been able to have gotten the EasyPass or whatever it's called which is similar to Global Entry, but not having been able to get an interview with the authorities in Germany....whaaaaa! :)

Thanks again for the info folks, any and all is helpful.

IMHO, the Senator and Business lounges near gate 50 are practically identical. The best is the Business lounge hidden away upstairs near gate A25, a former First Class lounge that is much less crowded, with a better view and I believe a few better amenities.

mcg

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:23 am

oschkosch wrote:
UA flights normally are either Z gates or at a remote stand. In case of remote stands you get a bus to the terminal. I believe in both cases you arrive "clean", meaning no necessity for additional security control. You will have to go through passport control however.

Mxp flights normally depart from A gates. The trip to B gates just for the lounge is unnecessary as it is a) a long way and b) there is another passport control in B as B is a mostly non schengen area and the lounge is after the passport control area. Totsl waste of time.

Best lounges are either the normal business lounges or Senator lounges (access only with miles and more gold card). There are a few in the A terminal.

The newest lounge is the so called Panorama Lounge, which is close to gate A26, left hand side. It's really nice and worth it, also has showers etc.

My experience on arrival at FRA from the United States is that after passport control you have to go thru security before your onward flight. It's been a year since I've transited FRA so it could have changed, but I doubt it. And yes, both passport control and security can be pretty crowded.

LTU932

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:08 pm

mcg wrote:
My experience on arrival at FRA from the United States is that after passport control you have to go thru security before your onward flight. It's been a year since I've transited FRA so it could have changed, but I doubt it. And yes, both passport control and security can be pretty crowded.
I doubt that they will have you forego going through security after passport control. I had to do the same thing like 9 years ago when I arrived in FRA from MEX (with the difference that I missed any flight connection signage and exited the airport through the baggage claim/customs area). In HAM, when UA still flew there from EWR (and this might also be the case for EK, TK, SU, etc.), you were led through a corridor downstairs for passport control (at least when arriving at Gate 5 or Gate 6), which leads to baggage claim and from there you'd have to go through security no matter what. AFAIK you only get to skip security after passport control when you arrive from an EU country that is not yet in Schengen, e.g. flights from Croatia or pre-Brexit UK (I dunno if that'll change post-Brexit).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

oschkosch

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:40 pm

LTU932 wrote:
mcg wrote:
I doubt that they will have you forego going through security after passport control. I had to do the same thing like 9 years ago when I arrived in FRA from MEX (with the difference that I missed any flight connection signage and exited the airport through the baggage claim/customs area). In HAM, when UA still flew there from EWR (and this might also be the case for EK, TK, SU, etc.), you were led through a corridor downstairs for passport control (at least when arriving at Gate 5 or Gate 6), which leads to baggage claim and from there you'd have to go through security no matter what. AFAIK you only get to skip security after passport control when you arrive from an EU country that is not yet in Schengen, e.g. flights from Croatia or pre-Brexit UK (I dunno if that'll change post-Brexit).
Mex is not considered a "safe" airport, unlike the US airports, therefore my assumption that when arriving on a flight from USA and transferring in FRA, you might not need additional security.

LTU932

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:19 pm

oschkosch wrote:
Mex is not considered a "safe" airport, unlike the US airports, therefore my assumption that when arriving on a flight from USA and transferring in FRA, you might not need additional security.
But then again, it could also be that if the flight arrives from outside the EU in general, connecting passengers always go through security (even if coming from the US). The only difference is that you may skip passport control if you connect from non-Schengen to non-Schengen. In my case with MEX, I had to go through passport control because I had a connecting flight to HAM.

Example: I recall from when I was in LHR back in 2014, even passengers arriving from the EU and the US have to go through security screening, because they had to be screened according to UK standards (not to mention the security interview and possible additional checks for flights departing to the US). It doesn't matter if it's for flying HAM-LHR-DFW or SJO-LGW-NAP, you always get rescreened when arriving from outside the UK.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

oschkosch

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:03 am

LTU932 wrote:
oschkosch wrote:
But then again, it could also be that if the flight arrives from outside the EU in general, connecting passengers always go through security (even if coming from the US). The only difference is that you may skip passport control if you connect from non-Schengen to non-Schengen. In my case with MEX, I had to go through passport control because I had a connecting flight to HAM.

Example: I recall from when I was in LHR back in 2014, even passengers arriving from the EU and the US have to go through security screening, because they had to be screened according to UK standards (not to mention the security interview and possible additional checks for flights departing to the US). It doesn't matter if it's for flying HAM-LHR-DFW or SJO-LGW-NAP, you always get rescreened when arriving from outside the UK.

Not totally correct. An arrival in Z is considered a "clean" arrival0 when it is from the US, hence it means that there is no additional security check. There will be a passport control however. Arriving in LHR i.e. UK in general is a different story. Don't mix that up with a US flight arriving in Germany.

From the colleagues at Flyertalk:

Arrival      Transfer   Note
gate         security?
A1-42        No         Unless connecting to C.
                        If connecting to B walk through the tunnel to avoid
                        security.
B1-19        No         Unless connecting to C.
B20-63*      Yes
C*           Yes
Z*           Yes        Unless arriving from US, UK, Ireland & Canada,
                        and connecting to A or B1-19.
                        If connecting to B20-63 security could be avoided
                        by going through passport control twice.

LTU932

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:15 pm

That I did not know. I just mentioned UK rules as example of my point though.

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Excellent, thanks very much.

FatCat

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:59 pm

I connect in FRA very often, last time BHX-FRA-FLR on LH + EN I missed the plane because of the passport + security checks at FRA. I had 1h 30' time, still didn't get.
BHX flight disembarked us at A gates (IIRC, A36) and FLR flight was departing B07, plane was parked on a remote stand.
MXP flights on mainline LH will usually depart from gates, EN most of times from remote stands.

Last flight DUS-FRA-FLR, DUS mainline LH flight parked at an Y remote stand (Y38 IIRC), 25 minutes bus ride, took me to gate A01, again FLR EN flight was departing from a B gate, again plane was on a remote stand, have a good laugh, it was right aside the DUS flight I just disembarked. 1h 40' without passport + security checks, barely made it.

3h stopover - you should have plenty of time, but may I suggest you to pass the passport checks and get closer to your departing gate, with 50' to 1h spare time.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

IAHFLYR
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Yes, we will certainly get all the passport/security stuff done as soon as we get to FRA and then sort out our lounge activities closest to our MXP gate. That's what we did on our last trip through FRA though I don't remember much of it at all other than the Business and Senator Lounges shared the same entrance.