Mirelastrat
Topic Author

The biggest cheaters ever !!! Qatar Airways

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:42 am

I would love to share my last trip that I had from Istanbul to Manila with Qatar Airways.

Honestly I travel so much all over the world and I have never faced such a scam .

I had 2 luggages as checked baggage in total of 44 Kg.

I reach the check-in counter to find out that they do not have option of paying extra luggage. The only option you have is to pay the excess kg .

I was allowed 30 Kg and I had to pay 14 kgs extra. This wouldn't be an issue as i always carry extra luggage or kgs due to my work.

The Huge surprise was to find out that Qatar charges 50 USD per excess Kg and I had to pay 700USD extra . ( basically paying another ticket )

I have to mention that when you book , they never tell you what is the price of the extra kgs and never mention that Qatar Airways don't accept extra luggage.

As a FQTV I have to say Qatar Airways will never be in my list of airlines to travel with .

Be always careful for so called 5* Airlines that you expect the best and they end up in being the worst.

Such a disappointment!!:(

TheFlyingDisk

Re: The biggest cheaters ever !!! Qatar Airways

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:03 am

They don't mention in the booking process, but they do mention it on their website. You can even buy it online.

So don't blame the airline for your own mistakes. Sorry, no sympathy from me.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-us/baggage/excess.html
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

DTWLAX

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:25 am

You claim to be a frequent traveler and travel the world a lot, but you did not even bother to go and check the QR website for the baggage policies??
There is no scam - everything is clearly stated on the website.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-qa/baggage/excess.html

And FYI - Emirates also has the same concept. Anything extra over the allowed baggage you pay by weight for itineraries where the weight concept applies. Additional charge for an extra bag is only applicable on routes where the piece concept is applicable like from/to USA.

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:17 pm

Affiliated frequent flyers get additional luggage allowance. 20KG or 1PC for the most part. Nothing QR did is out of the norm for an IATA airline. It is always cheaper to prepay excess online.for any airline
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

EricAY05

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 pm

I kind-of sympathize with you, since in my opinion airlines should have a huge tolerance in this kind of issues. Common sense is very useful. They make you pay something like $200 and everyone is happy. Just out of curiosity, how many kilos out of the 44 could you have thrown out instead of paying $50 per kilo to fly them?

In defense of QR, their allowance if already very generous, so perhaps they do not need to be so tolerant after the 30kg limit has been reached.

Mirelastrat
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:53 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
You claim to be a frequent traveler and travel the world a lot, but you did not even bother to go and check the QR website for the baggage policies??

And FYI - Emirates also has the same concept. Anything extra over the allowed baggage you pay by weight for itineraries where the weight concept applies. Additional charge for an extra bag is only applicable on routes where the piece concept is applicable like from/to USA.

That is so not true !

I am an Emiartes gold member and I have never faced this issue. If you have an additional luggage , you pay the luggage and if you have excess Kg then you pay the excess.

Again, my issue is not that,my issue us that never in my life with all the airlines I have travelled from all over the world , I have heard another company to charge this much per excess kg.

I am a person that travels way too much and I literally don't have the time to read all the policies all airlines have.

Again the whole purpose of my post is to raise awareness to all the travellers with busy schedule like me of what they might end up paying traveling with Qatar Airways.

And FYI , I travel every 3 months to US and Latin America countries with Emirates and I pay by excess luggage at the check in counter 10 euros per Kg and about 100 euros or 150 euros per additional piece. ( without booking the extra piece online)

But I guess you wouldn't be able to know since Emirates doesn't travel to Qatar :)

Mirelastrat
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:57 pm

I travel on a very long flight. So 30 Kg is actually normal for most airlines ( not low cost) for these kind of long flights.

Exactly my purpose of this post is to raise awareness to all travellers wanting to fly with Qatar airways.

I have never ever made a complain in my life about airlines that I flew with because I have never had to pay this much money on additional kg.

I always used to avoid low cost airlines because of the hidden costs you get at the check- in but I guess traveling with famous airlines make you pay a lot more

zakuivcustom

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:07 pm

I don't buy the part about how you "travel so much around the world".

Weight system is pretty common basically anywhere outside of flights within N. America (mainly US/Canada), and flights to/from N. America (mainly US/Canada). It's not QR's fault that you didn't check your luggage allowance.

Hack, QR's allowance is already fairly lenient (i.e. no limitation on pieces as long as it's under 30kg in Y). Look at CX, for example:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... ights.html
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... 52018.html

30kg and 2 pieces limit. Over 30kg total? Charge by kg. Over 2 pieces even if under 30kg total? Charge by pieces.

sk736

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:37 pm

You should have checked before you arrived at the airport. This is a problem entirely of your own making and nothing to do with the quality of Qatar Airways.

WildcatYXU

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Did you buy your ticket yourself or it was purchased through a corporate travel agent?
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

WildcatYXU

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:09 pm

sk736 wrote:
You should have checked before you arrived at the airport. This is a problem entirely of your own making and nothing to do with the quality of Qatar Airways.

Since the difference between on-line and off line excess baggage purchases is just 10USD/kg, it doesn't really matter. I'd be rather interested to know who purchased the ticket as I already asked the OP. Corporate policy makers and corporate travel agents tend to forget that one needs tools to work and one cannot work naked. So they buy the flight that looks cheap at first glance, but when it all comes together is becomes expensive. And the nightmare with expensing the excess baggage charges is beginning...
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Mirelastrat
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:04 pm

True , I never said that it wasnt my mistake to check the policies of the airline. I just said that never ever I have heard or known an airline that charges 50 USD per kg or doesn't allow you another luggage piece as long as you are willing to pay .

Anyway , the whole purpose as I said is to raise awareness for those people that live and work abroad for years to save some money that can go home with gifts to their kids and relatives and fave this kind of issue at the check in.

I would really appreciate to know which airline charges this much per excess kilo.

Mirelastrat
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:04 pm

True , I never said that it wasnt my mistake to check the policies of the airline. I just said that never ever I have heard or known an airline that charges 50 USD per kg or doesn't allow you another luggage piece as long as you are willing to pay .

Anyway , the whole purpose as I said is to raise awareness for those people that live and work abroad for years to save some money that can go home with gifts to their kids and relatives and fave this kind of issue at the check in.

I would really appreciate to know which airline charges this much per excess kilo.

cofannyc

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Mirelastrat wrote:
I am an Emiartes gold member and I have never faced this issue. If you have an additional luggage , you pay the luggage and if you have excess Kg then you pay the excess.

Again, my issue is not that,my issue us that never in my life with all the airlines I have travelled from all over the world , I have heard another company to charge this much per excess kg.

You can't compare what you get as an EK Gold to what you get as a QR nothing. Also, EK charge USD40 per kg of excess for the exact journey so let's not pretend that QR charging USD50 is totally out of line with what others charge.

I take a long-haul flight 48 out of 52 weeks a year and I have time to find out what policies apply to me so that excuse is nonsense...especially since you know you routinely travel with excess luggage!

Fuling

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:20 am

The reason you were charged at that rate is because anything over your allowance is technically cargo, and cargo rates are high! A lot higher than entitled passenger rates. I took a quick look at FedEx with the same criteria and they are charging $1044. Qatar Airways seems quite reasonable for the express handling of your extra 14kg.

acjbbj

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Posts must abide by Hanlon's Razor.

"Never attribute to malice... which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.

Mirelastrat
Topic Author

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:42 pm

@fueling

Cargo attributes for luggage piece above 32 kgs.

If you have 2 pieces of luggage each one 22 , that is not Cargo.

Please read a bit more

DTWLAX

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Mirelastrat wrote:
DTWLAX wrote:

That is so not true !

https://www.emirates.com/english/before ... wance.aspx

I am a person that travels way too much and I literally don't have the time to read all the policies all airlines have.

Again the whole purpose of my post is to raise awareness to all the travellers with busy schedule like me of what they might end up paying traveling with Qatar Airways.

And FYI , I travel every 3 months to US and Latin America countries with Emirates and I pay by excess luggage at the check in counter 10 euros per Kg and about 100 euros or 150 euros per additional piece. ( without booking the extra piece online)

But I guess you wouldn't be able to know since Emirates doesn't travel to Qatar :)

And what status do you have at QR that they will allow you excess baggage for free or at a discounted rate??

EK charges $40 per kg for excess baggage on routes where baggage policies are based on the weight concept.

DTWLAX

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Fuling

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:58 pm

Mirelastrat wrote:
@fueling

Cargo attributes for luggage piece above 32 kgs.

If you have 2 pieces of luggage each one 22 , that is not Cargo.

Please read a bit more

Your allowance was 30kg, not 2x pieces. You should have been the one to 'read a bit more' when planning your trip.

T54A

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:36 am

Can someone please change the title of this thread to ‘Laziest Qatar passenger EVER’
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3

aerorobnz

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Also, it costs so much because they want to discourage as many people as possible, like the fine on a subway for pulling the cord.

Your extra baggage may be stopping more lucrative cargo being uplifted because they have to add baggage containers if everyone does it. On a full fit aircraft, a PMC pallet takes up 4 AKE baggage containers worth of space, so if you add 1 baggage can over plan it can prevent a 4-ton pallet being loaded, and they can be in the 10s of thousands of revenue. A drop of that much off the zero fuel weight and you are talking of revised/refiled flight plans at an additional cost to the airline and this may result in a delay to pushback in busy airports. I know it doesn't seem like much to you, but I have seen this kind of thing happen, and even put an aircraft into an overweight position where they have to choose to leave cargo/passengers/baggage behind.. Granted a QR 77W is unlikely to be in this position, but still, hopefully you may see my point anyway as to why thry don't really want excess luggage.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

jetblueguy22

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 pm

I always love when “Frequent Fliers” are shocked by certain fees. Every FF I know can tell you exactly what everything costs on an airline, even while having the fees waived.

This is about as common as it gets. Maybe don’t fly and bring your whole house with you?
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Mirelastrat
Topic Author

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:13 pm

Guys, as I said , this is to raise awareness for people that don't actually work in aviation and people that carry a lot of luggage not to be surprised like me at the check in counter.

I really don't know why are you all so offended by the fact that in my opinion this is way too much the charge.

Everyone has the right to share an opinion whether you agree and disagree.

Some of you made some good points like @aerorobnz

In regards to @fueling answer, honestly I had 2 luggages and I was specifically told by the ground manager that I could have even 3 pieces of luggage if in total would had 30 Kg ,it would've been fine. So I guess they meant 30 kgs as in total , never referred as one piece only.

And again , I know a lot of you ( young men that shared their opinion ) think that the overweight is because I travel with my closet , but its actually goods that I declare and pay tax for at the airport.
And yes, many times is last minute flights and I don't get the time to check my secretary or look by myself and read their policies ( and my post is strictly warning people that might be just like me, not people working in aviation ).

Yes , I do consider they charge a lot.
EK, AA, Cathay , RJ, Etihad etc , they do give you the option to add an additional luggage and pay for it at the check in which comes out a lot cheaper rather than paying per kg.

Again , it is just my own opinion

DTWLAX

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:01 am

Mirelastrat wrote:
Guys, as I said , this is to raise awareness for people that don't actually work in aviation and people that carry a lot of luggage not to be surprised like me at the check in counter.

I really don't know why are you all so offended by the fact that in my opinion this is way too much the charge.

Everyone has the right to share an opinion whether you agree and disagree.

Dude, just because you are raising awareness and you were surprised at the check-in counter does not mean you can call QR cheats. You said that in the title thread. People have a problem with you calling QR cheats because of your lack of knowledge/awareness when everything is clearly laid out on the website.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:25 am

Mirelastrat wrote:

The offense comes from you calling Qatar Airways a cheat. And not just a cheat, the biggest cheaters ever. Problem is they didn't cheat anyone. You ran foul of their policies which is public knowledge on their website, and they acted accordingly. So there was no cheating whatsoever happening here.

Now if you had chosen a less provocative thread title and acknowledged your own mistakes, the tone of this thread would have been different to be honest.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO