AirbusA343
Topic Author

What would you do if someone was sitting at your assigned seat?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:42 pm

I took a Ryanair flight two weeks ago and many people were sitting in the wrong seats. One woman had a tantrum about it while a man was more passive aggressive about it. What would you personally do if you were travelling alone? Would you find somewhere else to sit or would you ask the person to move? I would probably sit somewhere else but if I'm asked to move from that seat I would politely ask the person sitting at my assigned seat to move.

Wednesdayite

Re: What would you do if someone was sitting at your assigned seat?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:49 pm

Depends on how much I value the seat. If I’ve paid to reserve it (like the $112 I recently paid BA to reserve an exit row seat), I’ll definitely ask the other passenger to move.

If I haven’t paid to reserve and it’s a crappy middle seat I won’t care.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

qfs

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:10 am

I would show the passenger sitting in my seat my boarding pass that proves that the seat is mine. If they fail to show me that their boarding pass shows that the seat is theirs and they refuse to get up, I would ask a nearby crew member (without making a scene) to help me out.

777Jet

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:11 am

I would tell them to move.

Happened to me on CA a few times. The locals there tend to ignore assigned seating and think they can just sit together wherever they want (from my experiences).

When they have refused to move out of my assigned seat CA FA's have ended up yelling at them in Chinese until they give in.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

jetblueguy22

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:59 am

I'd tell them to beat it. If they didn't want to fly an airline with assigned seats, fly WN. I'm not very concerned about where I sit, I'd just prefer an aisle. But I selected my seat, if they didn't or bought a seat at the last minute, that is isn't my problem.

The only time I'd think about moving is if a parent and child were split up.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

sprxUSA

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:18 am

Flying a red-eye LAX-PHL on F9 some years ago, I got on last and there was someone in my assigned seat. As there were 11 pax on flight, I went ahead and sat somewhere else lol.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

spacecadet

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:24 am

I guess in an extreme situation like the one above (with only a few people on the plane), I'd sit somewhere else. But in general, I'd tell the person to move. And if they refused, I wouldn't have a problem making their day miserable.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Veigar

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 am

Happened on my Sun Country flight.

I just told her that it was my seat and she moved. Simple as that.

aldrigsomandre

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:06 am

I think it depends on the passenger. Some are nice about it, some are just being dicks. I remember back in 2009, I was going from JNB to IST and this woman wanted to sit in my assigned emergency exit seat because she wanted to sit with her friend that she saw when she got on the flight. I had a cracked leg, so I really needed the legroom and she saw me with crouches, I had to call the FAs to help me out and she cursed at me for a while for not being cooperative and made sure to bump into me when she got up to go to the bathroom.

aerorobnz

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:25 pm

I double check my boarding card seat with the row number, then I say excuse me, I think you are sitting in my seat, what seat is on your boarding card? Then they check the seat and move, If they ask if I would mind sitting in their seat I say no because they are invariably trying to improve a middle seat or a seat without a window etc. Any trouble and I seek a crew member.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

angusjt

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:36 pm

I observed a situation that happened on an Air Canada Q400 YUL-YQB flight back in 2017.

A couple where claiming that some other passengers where in their assigned seats, they decided to compare boarding passes and in fact both groups of passengers had the same seats allocated.

The difference was that this couple where supposed to be on a flight to Ottawa (To which I think their flight was boarding from the same gate)

YIMBY

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:27 am

The OP apparently refers to the case where some passengers pay for their preferred seat and others are seated in unallocated seats? Have note experiences in flights, but was usual in trains. Such should not happen.

I have had many cases where someone is sitting in my seat, with allocated seats for all. The problem is, I do not know where to sit, then. I kindly show my ticket to claim the seat. In some cases it is evident that the person has just taken the window seat instead of middle seat. Depends on the mood etc whether I accept it. Usually I only care to arrive at the destination.

Once I accepted a middle seat when a lady had taken my window seat. She was then friendly to me all the flight - too friendly as she was getting drunk - which made my trip uncomfortable.

If I fly with family and somebody is in our seats I truly fight to keep our seats, unless FA assigns us a better row.

jumpjets

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:43 am

This has happened a few times over the years and the most common reason is that the other passenger has sat in the wrong row, e.g row 13 instead of 15 - an easy mistake to make. If I am travelling alone and the other persons seat is effectively the same as mine then I am happy to take the other seat. If I am travelling with a companion and the other persons mistake would mean we are split up then I would ask them to move. I don't think anyone has ever refused or caused trouble.

Even on those odd occasions where someone has deliberately taken my seat because it is just better than theirs, when challenged, always politely, they have always moved not necessarily with good grace it has to be said.

It also happened to me in a theatre and the couple in our seats proudly showed me their tickets for those seats, unfortunately the tickets were for the previous nights production!

VSMUT

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am

Happens from time to time. Usually someone in the middle seat hoping to trade or that nobody will show up. Sometimes people with connecting flights who look at the wrong boarding pass. Just tell them to move, never had any issues.

Got into the wrong seat myself once. The seat rows were staggered on each side of the aisle, so row 3 on the left didn't match up with row 3 on the right. On top of this, the first two rows were missing on the right side, so if you just counted seats, you would get into the wrong one. I proceeded down the aisle to my seat, 4F. The passenger from 3F had made the same mistake and gotten into 4F, and I didn't take notice and got into 5F. Eventually the actual passenger for 5F showed up, we noticed the error, laughed and all moved to the right seats.

I would never dream of giving up my seat for anything worse, and would probably not trade for something similar either - only for an upgrade.

VapourTrails

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:57 am

AirbusA343 wrote:
I took a Ryanair flight two weeks ago and many people were sitting in the wrong seats. One woman had a tantrum about it while a man was more passive aggressive about it. What would you personally do if you were travelling alone? Would you find somewhere else to sit or would you ask the person to move? I would probably sit somewhere else but if I'm asked to move from that seat I would politely ask the person sitting at my assigned seat to move.

It depends on where their assigned seat was. An example happened to me last year. They had my aisle seat, and were giving me the window seat. I agreed to it in this instance. If a pax would not move or tell me a reason why they were in my seat or where they were assigned to start with, I would ask the FA to sort it out. I would then go along with their (the FA) decision. Sometimes I can’t choose a seat prior and I would be mostly happy to be put anywhere. This is also relative to the length of the flight, and to a lesser extent, the aircraft type too though.

Recently, I was watching something on YouTube or somewhere, and an announcement was made that the flight was full and pax could sit anywhere. Haven’t encountered that yet on any of my flights. My understanding is that you are assigned a particular seat or area of the aircraft for weight and balance reasons.
Last edited by VapourTrails on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

VapourTrails

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:05 am

jumpjets wrote:
This has happened a few times over the years and the most common reason is that the other passenger has sat in the wrong row, e.g row 13 instead of 15 - an easy mistake to make. If I am travelling alone and the other persons seat is effectively the same as mine then I am happy to take the other seat. If I am travelling with a companion and the other persons mistake would mean we are split up then I would ask them to move. I don't think anyone has ever refused or caused trouble.

I have done this. My reason is just being overtired and not paying enough attention. The last time it happened, the pax was politely forthright about it, and I was embarrassed at making such a simple mistake. If I am travelling with a companion and it would mean we are split up, I would ask them to move, or get the FA to sort it out, making my case that we booked to sit together.

Gr8Circle

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:56 am

Had this experience couple of times.....on both occasions, the offending passengers had assigned aisle seats but believed that they had the window seat.....I had to explain to them that the A/F seat is a window and that they should please move over.....