kitplane01
Topic Author

Cannot book ORD -> Midway

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:15 am

How come one cannot book a flight from O'Hare to Midway (says Travelocity). Not even a connecting flight. Not even a 2 hop connecting flight. It seems the computer should be able to stitch something together, even if it's out to Milwaukee and back.

Delta has service Midway -> Milwaukee -> ORD and back.

RyanairGuru

Re: Cannot book ORD -> Midway

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 am

There are no fares loaded, so the GDS cannot price the itinerary.

A human would be able to create the itinerary (albeit not sell it as a revenue ticket) but websites will only return results that have valid fares, and ones that are relatively easy to calculate at that.

The vast majority of airline fares are loaded on a city basis, not an airport basis, so you are searching for CHI-CHI and therefore as far as the GDS is concerned you are starting and ending in the same place. Even when fares are loaded on an airport specific basis no airline is going to bother loading something like MDW-ORD.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

cofannyc

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:01 am

Spot on, by RyanairGuru. Same reason you can't search JFK-LGA or LHR-LGW and expect to get results.

I suppose you could book it by booking a round trip CHI-MSP and selecting different Chicago airports for the outbound and the return. You could then just tell everyone you booked ORD-MDW if that's important to you.

kitplane01
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:00 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
There are no fares loaded, so the GDS cannot price the itinerary.

A human would be able to create the itinerary (albeit not sell it as a revenue ticket) but websites will only return results that have valid fares, and ones that are relatively easy to calculate at that.

The vast majority of airline fares are loaded on a city basis, not an airport basis, so you are searching for CHI-CHI and therefore as far as the GDS is concerned you are starting and ending in the same place. Even when fares are loaded on an airport specific basis no airline is going to bother loading something like MDW-ORD.

Question:

Is it the case that a human reviews every fare and route loaded into the GDS, or are they computer generated? Because I can understand a human rejecting Midway->O'Hare, but I would have thought the computer would create every route that can be created.

How common are routes/fares that could be flown given the existing network, but that are not loaded into the GDS?

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm

It is not a valid route. Airline computers do not recognize ORD-MDW as a purchasable route, so it cannot be done.

However, as you probably know, you CAN book ORD-XXX and return XXX-MDW, if the airline serves both airports.

UALFAson

Wed May 01, 2019 9:56 pm

You can't just search for a Chicago-Chicago roundtrip ticket, but you can fly between the two airports if you book it as a Multi-City, though you would have to specify which city you would like to connect in.

For example, I just made a dummy booking on DL's website flying ORD-ATL and returning ATL-MDW. But I had to specify ATL as the "connecting" city.

If you know where you're going and don't care which airport you depart from and return to, you can select "Chicago--All Airports" and put in a destination, and the search engine will provide options for both ORD and MDW, potentially both in the same itinerary if they do a "hacker fare" (e.g. 2 one-way trips merged together). I did this quite a bit when I lived in D.C. and was interested in the fare differences among DCA, IAD, and BWI.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

Yflyer

Thu May 02, 2019 1:05 am

I vaguely remember some a.netter claiming to have booked and flown SFO-LAX-OAK or something like that as a mileage run. I assume in that case even though they're extremely close the computer allows it because SFO and OAK technically serve different cities?