Page 1 of 1

Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:55 pm
by kiowa
This is much closer to what I would consider a realistic rating.

https://suburbanchicagoland.com/2019/05 ... -for-2019/

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:14 pm
by 727LOVER
Well...it says 2019, but were these tallied for year 2018?

Not sure WHY regionals are included, they basically do what the majors tell them, don't they? I don't know if it's true, but their is a lot of speculation on this site that Delta shoves it's delays onto it's regionals

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:20 pm
by intotheair
Would love to know more about this SkyWest. How can I book a ticket on them? How good is their frequent flier program? What do they charge for baggage? Do they have a cobranded credit card?

Seriously, no list that hashes out the regionals as separate airlines has any credibility. When it comes to this kind of customer satisfaction stuff, all that matters to customers is tha marketing carrier.

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:21 pm
by CO777DAL
Here it is.
Image

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:26 pm
by PlanesNTrains
Cue CobaltStar in 3-2-1....

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 pm
by Thibault973
CO777DAL wrote:
Here it is.
Image


While I’m not American thus my experience on American Airlines are relatively limited (having flown only on AA, DL, US, AS and B6) I’ve always found the experience on B6 to be vastly superior compared to the what you should expect flying short to medium haul let’s say here in Europe. Never understood the hate Cheap fares, PTVs, free drinks and both time I flew them they let me catch an earlier flight for free. Now try to to that over here (although I think I remember U2 allowing it, don’t know if they still do).

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 pm
by PSAatSAN4Ever
I'm not seeing a link to the calculation of these "statistics" - other than taking their word for these "ratings", these numbers are meaningless.

How are they calculating "safety"? There were no fatalities among U.S. airlines in 2018, and thus far none in 2019. How does that make one airline "safer" than another?

Ironically enough, the only "casualty" of 2018 in the U.S. was the stolen Q400 from Alaska Airlines - well, technically Horizon, but painted in AS colors.

Every individual traveler is going to use a different criteria to choose their airline. Some will consider only price, some will consider based on times and destinations, and some will use only their loyalty points when flying. And like all lists, choices and preferences are subjective.

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm
by BAINY3
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
How are they calculating "safety"? There were no fatalities among U.S. airlines in 2018, and thus far none in 2019. How does that make one airline "safer" than another?

Ironically enough, the only "casualty" of 2018 in the U.S. was the stolen Q400 from Alaska Airlines - well, technically Horizon, but painted in AS colors.


You are completely overlooking Southwest 1380. The plane did not crash but a passenger still got sucked halfway out the plane and died. This is presumably why Southwest's safety score was much, much worse than all the others. I'm guessing the other scores are based on non-fatal incidents.

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:05 pm
by Planes4you
Whoever put the regional airlines over Hawaiian air should be fired

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:51 pm
by PSAatSAN4Ever
BAINY3 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
How are they calculating "safety"? There were no fatalities among U.S. airlines in 2018, and thus far none in 2019. How does that make one airline "safer" than another?

Ironically enough, the only "casualty" of 2018 in the U.S. was the stolen Q400 from Alaska Airlines - well, technically Horizon, but painted in AS colors.


You are completely overlooking Southwest 1380. The plane did not crash but a passenger still got sucked halfway out the plane and died. This is presumably why Southwest's safety score was much, much worse than all the others. I'm guessing the other scores are based on non-fatal incidents.


For some reason I thought that was 2017. AND I overlooked it on aviation-safety.net. Thank you for the correction - that does explain it!

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 pm
by santi319
Oh boy Spirit in the top 5 and half of a-net will get triggered in 3, 2, 1..

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:44 pm
by jaybird
Really subjective.

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 pm
by MIflyer12
I invite the OP - who thought this was worth bringing here - to explain Wallethub's fields of competence on rating airlines. Please be detailed.

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:26 pm
by SierraPacific
I love how Envoy and Skywest are on the list. I wonder how he chose Skywest as a great airline :lol:

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 pm
by WeatherPilot
So when I'm on a United Express flight who do I ask to make sure I get the Skywest treatment instead of the United treatment?

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:11 am
by usxguy
Who or what is WalletHub?

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:26 am
by cledaybuck
These are some of the crappiest ratings I have seen.

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:30 am
by greendot
Thibault973 wrote:
CO777DAL wrote:
Here it is.
Image


While I’m not American thus my experience on American Airlines are relatively limited (having flown only on AA, DL, US, AS and B6) I’ve always found the experience on B6 to be vastly superior compared to the what you should expect flying short to medium haul let’s say here in Europe. Never understood the hate Cheap fares, PTVs, free drinks and both time I flew them they let me catch an earlier flight for free. Now try to to that over here (although I think I remember U2 allowing it, don’t know if they still do).


The Safety metric is also the most amusing. It was never defined. What was this based on? Customer perception?

I think B6 is the only airline that HASN'T had a hull loss or major incident resulting in loss of life. Alaska has had a colorful maintenance and safety history yet it is #1?

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:28 am
by Gulfstream500
SierraPacific wrote:
I love how Envoy and Skywest are on the list. I wonder how he chose Skywest as a great airline :lol:


Maybe they consider Alaska SkyWest to be its own entity :banghead:

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:55 am
by flyguy89
Alright, I'm just going to say it: why the hell would I care how "WalletHub" ranks airlines?

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:53 am
by DarthLobster
greendot wrote:
Alaska has had a colorful maintenance and safety history yet it is #1?


This needs expanding. What "colorful" safety and maintenance events have occurred in the 19 years after 261?

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:16 pm
by N766UA
LOL Skywest!

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:18 pm
by RyanairGuru
The only data that is useful in this is the YOY change in relsibility, assuming they used a constant methodology over four years. Hats off to UA and NK who have really turned around operationally, compared to AA, AS and B6 who have gone backwards.

And then there is Frontier...

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:41 pm
by greendot
DarthLobster wrote:
greendot wrote:
Alaska has had a colorful maintenance and safety history yet it is #1?


This needs expanding. What "colorful" safety and maintenance events have occurred in the 19 years after 261?


I wasn't ignoring any history. What is your criteria for resetting the clock? X lawsuits, y years, z lives lost, w FAA enforcement actions, D changes of management? I can't come up with reliable criteria to dismiss so I don't dismiss.

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:28 pm
by kiowa
CO777DAL wrote:
Here it is.
Image


Thank you for posting this pic. The link was easier for me to post:)

Re: Wallethub releases best US airlines for 2018

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:24 pm
by kiowa
BAINY3 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
How are they calculating "safety"? There were no fatalities among U.S. airlines in 2018, and thus far none in 2019. How does that make one airline "safer" than another?

Ironically enough, the only "casualty" of 2018 in the U.S. was the stolen Q400 from Alaska Airlines - well, technically Horizon, but painted in AS colors.


You are completely overlooking Southwest 1380. The plane did not crash but a passenger still got sucked halfway out the plane and died. This is presumably why Southwest's safety score was much, much worse than all the others. I'm guessing the other scores are based on non-fatal incidents.


I believe that Southwest had the only death in US aviation last year. That is probably one of the reasons for their poor safety rating.