Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IH8BY

Re: Airline owning a airport

Mon May 06, 2019 9:57 am

mwhcvt wrote:
FlyingColours wrote:
Sutton Harbour Holdings who owned Plymouth Airport in the UK also owned Air South West - not to be confused with Southwest Airlines ;) They launched the airline to coincide with British Airways axing their flights from the airport and actually did quite well, until BA came back along with several others competing out of Newquay Airport and really hitting the airlines finances.

It's a bit of a shameless plug but Air South West are featured in an upcoming episode of "Grounded" my series on Youtube which looks at airlines which are no longer around.

I recall Coventry Airport was owned by TUI from 2004 until 2010, they had a lot of problems though this was mainly with the local councils and environmental hippy types trying to prevent a new terminal being built. Eventually TUI got fed up and citing a change in direction following the First Choice merger they pulled the plug and gave up... I am almost certain that Ryanair was causing trouble too, even though they didn't serve the airport at the time...

Phil
FlyingColours

The NIMBYs were a massive part of what caused the TUI and CVT operation eventually dying, the airport was owned previously buy Coventry Council but for planning fell under Warwick Council and Warwick Council were totally against expansion at the airport this meant that PAX operations were limited to a temporary structure built as an interim terminal..

Other issues were that without large taxi ways any operations meant backtracking on the runway, lack of sufficient infrastructure, the airport didn’t really have the fuel capacity to support multiple daily pax flights being a predominantly GA airport (they did start to build a larger fuel dump however this was never completed and eventually was removed, but also the flight paths for CVT RWY05 and BHX RWY33 basically conflicted with each other which also placed operational restrictions

Because of all of the above it really mean there wasn’t the room or capacity to entice other airlines into the CVT and BHX just dominates the local market..

All in all it was always going to struggle to be a viable operation and the battles with locals and councils just killed it, honestly I don’t really see CVT remaining operational long term, it’s lost too much and eventually the land will be more use swallowed into the ever growing industrial estates growing around it

Classic situation of the two local authorities (Warwickshire/Coventry) antagonising each other as usual! Didn't Thomson end up putting a (temporary) terminal up anyway without planning permission and get told essentially to get out?

Personal opinion as someone who lived in the centre of Coventry is that it was far easier to get to BHX than CVT anyway...
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

QuayWeeAir

Mon May 06, 2019 10:51 am

Samoa Airways / Polynesian Airlines owned Fagalii International Airport in Samoa until just recently when the Samoan Government decided to buy it off them to allow more competition on the Samoa - American Samoa route.

pezzy669

Mon May 06, 2019 10:58 am

While not currently owned apparently Hawaiian Airlines developed Kapalua (JHM) airport in West Maui. Apparently sold it to State of Hawaii in the early 90's during a company financial downturn.

Cunard

Mon May 06, 2019 3:40 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Does AA own DFW?

Is that really a serious question?

DFW is owned jointly by the cities of Dallas and Ft Worth.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Planes4you

Mon May 06, 2019 4:34 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Does AA own DFW?

No the city does

Planes4you

Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 pm

Planes4you wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Does AA own DFW?

No the cities do

mwhcvt

Mon May 06, 2019 5:49 pm

IH8BY wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
FlyingColours wrote:
Sutton Harbour Holdings who owned Plymouth Airport in the UK also owned Air South West - not to be confused with Southwest Airlines ;) They launched the airline to coincide with British Airways axing their flights from the airport and actually did quite well, until BA came back along with several others competing out of Newquay Airport and really hitting the airlines finances.

It's a bit of a shameless plug but Air South West are featured in an upcoming episode of "Grounded" my series on Youtube which looks at airlines which are no longer around.

I recall Coventry Airport was owned by TUI from 2004 until 2010, they had a lot of problems though this was mainly with the local councils and environmental hippy types trying to prevent a new terminal being built. Eventually TUI got fed up and citing a change in direction following the First Choice merger they pulled the plug and gave up... I am almost certain that Ryanair was causing trouble too, even though they didn't serve the airport at the time...

Phil
FlyingColours

The NIMBYs were a massive part of what caused the TUI and CVT operation eventually dying, the airport was owned previously buy Coventry Council but for planning fell under Warwick Council and Warwick Council were totally against expansion at the airport this meant that PAX operations were limited to a temporary structure built as an interim terminal..

Other issues were that without large taxi ways any operations meant backtracking on the runway, lack of sufficient infrastructure, the airport didn’t really have the fuel capacity to support multiple daily pax flights being a predominantly GA airport (they did start to build a larger fuel dump however this was never completed and eventually was removed, but also the flight paths for CVT RWY05 and BHX RWY33 basically conflicted with each other which also placed operational restrictions

Because of all of the above it really mean there wasn’t the room or capacity to entice other airlines into the CVT and BHX just dominates the local market..

All in all it was always going to struggle to be a viable operation and the battles with locals and councils just killed it, honestly I don’t really see CVT remaining operational long term, it’s lost too much and eventually the land will be more use swallowed into the ever growing industrial estates growing around it

Classic situation of the two local authorities (Warwickshire/Coventry) antagonising each other as usual! Didn't Thomson end up putting a (temporary) terminal up anyway without planning permission and get told essentially to get out?

Personal opinion as someone who lived in the centre of Coventry is that it was far easier to get to BHX than CVT anyway...

I think your correct in that the temporary terminal was not exactly legal, it been so long I’d not like to say specifics but there were certainly issues, and your correct in that it was easier to get to BHX than CVT even for the people of Coventry, because let’s face BHX is one of the better integrated transport facilities with direct rail access and bus services that are long established CVT had no public transport and what’s more was lacking in parking etc too, really pretty much everything was against CVT being successful because of it being so close to BHX if BHX had capacity restrictions it could well have worked out as a bit of a relief airport but we both know that’s not the case
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

Ziyulu

Mon May 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Planes4you wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Does AA own DFW?

No the cities do

I wonder if AA owned the airport at one time. I remember a lot of things were trademarked. Like TrAAin.

PatrickZ80

Mon May 06, 2019 6:21 pm

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the many "Ryanair" airports in Europe. Officially Ryanair doesn't own these airports, but they do have a large influence.

At Weeze (NRN) Ryanair owns the parking lot. All parking earnings go directly to Ryanair. Ryanair is the only airline that flies to Weeze, so essentially they control the airport.

Another airport where Ryanair is the only user and is therefor completely controlled by Ryanair is Warsaw Modlin (WMI). At Stockholm Skavsta (NYO) and Rome Ciampino (CIA) they share the airport with WizzAir. Since both airlines are very similar in the way they like to see their aircraft serviced this doesn't lead to any problems. I don't know about the legal ownership of these airports, but I do know these airports are under the control of Ryanair.

eielef

Mon May 06, 2019 8:04 pm

I thought that, at one point, Ryanair wanted to buy Stansted Airport in London. Not sure if it materialized, but it seems it didn't. This was some 10 years ago, when FR was the only (or the main) player at STN...

smi0006

Mon May 06, 2019 9:24 pm

I’m not sure of the direct ownership structure; however old mate Akbar Al Baker was the CEO of both Doha airport, and Qatar airways.... not sure if he is currently CEO or just sits on the board.