Yflyer
Topic Author

Main Cabin Extra on AA transatlantic -- worth it?

Sun May 05, 2019 11:48 pm

This August I'll be flying AA DFW-LHR on the 77W. While looking at the seating chart I noticed they have a small Main Cabin Extra section, which I can upgrade to for somewhere around $120 (I'm not looking at the chart right know so I don't remember the exact price). The benefits AA touts for MCE are -- a few inches of extra legroom, an earlier boarding group, and complementary alcohol. As I understand it on transatlantic flights AA already offers complementary beer and wine in economy anyway, so the alcohol isn't a huge differentiater. I assume in MCE cocktails are complementary as well, but I'm content with beer or wine. I plan on checking my large bag and only bringing a small backpack as my carry on, so I'm not too worried about finding overhead space for it, so I don't see a huge benefit in boarding earlier. So really it comes down to the extra legroom. Has anyone here flown in MCE transatlantic? Does the additional leg room improve comfort that much? Do you think it's worth what AA is charging for it?

fbgdavidson

Re: Main Cabin Extra on AA transatlantic -- worth it?

Mon May 06, 2019 1:17 am

What something is worth is completely subjective.

Only you can decide if the benefits are worth $120 TO YOU.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

N292UX

Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 am

I can say I flew MCE on their E175 and LUS A319s, and had a pretty positive experience, albeit I didn't have huge expectations for either. I'd hope that their MCE product on the 777W is significantly better than the E175/A319. If you want more space and additional service, then I'd say go for it.

If it were the MCE on their 763, I'd definitely say do it, as economy on the AA 763 is ancient. They have more overhead storage on 763 MCE, too.

AAlaxfan

Mon May 06, 2019 3:26 am

It might be worth it, if only to get one of the exit rows and/or the 2 vs 3 seats sections.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

UALFAson

Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 am

Depends on how big and tall you are as well. Do you normally feel cramped in a regular Economy class seat or do you find the legroom to be adequate? Now imagine sitting in that space for 10 hours.

I'm 6'1, 180 pounds and I would not willingly take a 10+ hour transatlantic economy class flight without at least being in Y+, but I'm also at a point in my life where if I'm dropping $1000+ for the initial ticket, I can afford an extra $120 to be comfortable. As a college student, I probably would have sucked it up for the cheapest fare.

As others have said, only you can decide whether the value to you is worth it.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

global2

Thu May 09, 2019 4:21 am

Those few extra inches of legroom also mean slightly more generous recline. I have never been able to sleep in a regular coach seat which is basically sitting straight up. For me the extra comfort is worth it. Perhaps on the ride home you could stay in regular coach since that's a daytime flight and save the money.

PI4EVER

Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Bulkhead row 20 is the best with good legroom and no seat recline in front of you.
Row 32 is also good and better than row 31 due to exit door protrusion, no window and people standing in front of you waiting for lav.
No issue w/galley traffic or noise in row 32 and is a good 2 seater option if you're traveling alone.
As a preferred seat, row 41 and 42 in the rear cabin also good seats. The window side has more space but you cannot lean against the wall to sleep. People lined up for lav did not extend to row 41 or 42 when I was on board so no issue.
And a bit of a surprise, a F/A served the rear rows starting at 41 once the other crews took the cart forward so we had food and beverage before those seated ahead of us and had first choice of meals.
Preferred seats are cheaper than MCE and I'd pick 41A as my first choice for preferred and row 20 (window or aisle only however) as first choice for MCE.
Review the 773 layout on SeatGuru.com as well w/passenger comments on certain seats and rows.
I hope this info is helpful. Enjoy the ride.
watch what you want. you may get it.

Austin787

Fri May 10, 2019 12:48 am

I'd look at seats 22C, 22J, 33C, or 33J. These have no seats in front and are "preferred" so the cost is less than MCE.

I haven't noticed any difference in recline in MCE compared to MC.

9w748capt

Fri May 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Geez - in your case how much more is it for premium economy? If you're willing to fork over $120 extra for MCE (which is still economy class), I'd consider spending a few hundred more for premium economy.

Yflyer
Topic Author

Fri May 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Austin787 wrote:
I'd look at seats 22C, 22J, 33C, or 33J. These have no seats in front and are "preferred" so the cost is less than MCE.

Thanks for that tip! AA's seat map actually makes it appear that 22B and K (middle seats) are the seats in that row with no seats in front of them, although SeatGuru shows 22C and J with no seats in front of them. I take it then, that SeatGuru's map is the correct one? SeatGuru does mention that these seats often get bumped, though.

I'm leaning towards not booking MCE and if anything spending less and just selecting a "preferred" seat like one of these. By the way I was misremembering the price for MCE before -- it's actually $112. Not a huge difference, though.

Austin787

Fri May 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Yflyer wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

Thanks for that tip! AA's seat map actually makes it appear that 22B and K (middle seats) are the seats in that row with no seats in front of them, although SeatGuru shows 22C and J with no seats in front of them. I take it then, that SeatGuru's map is the correct one? SeatGuru does mention that these seats often get bumped, though.

I'm leaning towards not booking MCE and if anything spending less and just selecting a "preferred" seat like one of these. By the way I was misremembering the price for MCE before -- it's actually $112. Not a huge difference, though.

Some cabin pictures of AA 777-300ER appear to show 22C and J have no seat in front.

I agree with an earlier post about checking out prices for Premium Economy - in addition to extra legroom you also get a slightly wider seat and can pre-order your meal before the flight.