Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mooseofspruce
Topic Author

Flying out of BOS; do you prefer looking out one side of the plane over the other?

Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Doing BOS-BWI at the beginning of August as part of SFO-BOS-BWI on B6, with BOS-BWI on their E190. Taking all the possible traffic flows into account (or even just the most common ones), is there a side of the aircraft that you generally prefer for views, whether it's a view of the airport during takeoff, parts of Boston city itself, or anything you'd consider momentary eye candy? :camera:

For comparison, when I book flights out of SFO I usually try to choose a seat on the left side, since departures from either the 1s or 28s are by far the most common. On a 1L departure, the left side offers a view of SFO itself and aircraft taxiing to the 1s, before doing a counter-clockwise track around SFO if the flight turns south. (On a 1R departure, or one that heads straight east and over OAK, this is less important.) On the other hand, a seat on the right side of the plane can offer a view of San Francisco when departing from the 28s (assuming there isn't an immediate right turn...and probably when it's not after sunset), when the plane hugs the coast before turning east to cross the Golden Gate.

Don't suppose any frequent BOS fliers have a preference? If I've ever flown out of BOS at all, the last time was in the mid-2000s and even that was in a center seat within an AA widebody nowhere near a window. Also unsure which traffic flow (northeast or southwest) is more "common", though of course all of this could go out the window and I may end up with a big empty view of Atlantic ocean or immediate overcast clouds no matter which window side I end up with. :rotfl: But any insight is appreciated. :bigthumbsup:
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

Kno

Re: Flying out of BOS; do you prefer looking out one side of the plane over the other?

Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 pm

It’s hard to say what the runway configuration would be in advance but I’d say your best bet is usually on the right side for a city view and view of the airport as you take off. It’s my home airport so I fly out of BOS consistently.

shaneam12

Re: Flying out of BOS; do you prefer looking out one side of the plane over the other?

Wed May 08, 2019 5:29 pm

I fly in and out of BOS quite often (in fact most of the time on the BOS-WAS flights), so I think I will chip in. For Boston departures you will likely depart 22R (see the city on the turn out), 27 (fly over the city), or 9 (won't see the city at all). 15R/33L is rarely used for short haul departures, so I would not bet on that. 27 gives you a really good view of the city if you are sitting on the right, so if you want to take your chances, I would suggest sitting on the right. However, if you want to get a good view of NYC/Newark on your way down to BWI, I would suggest sitting on the left side since about 90% of the time, other than during peak hours, they will fly the route down the west side of NYC.

bluestreak

Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 pm

I always try to sit on the left when departing BOS. I like seeing the Cape going southbound, and can usually catch a glimpse of Long Island, Delaware Bay, Chesapeake Bay and the Outer Banks when flying to Florida. It depends on the weather, sometimes we are so far west I see the Gulf Shore of Florida as we descend.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"