BAWLGW
Topic Author

Alex Macheras - A Qatar Airways Stealth Marketer?

Wed May 08, 2019 2:36 pm

Let’s discuss if there is more than meets the eye with ‘Aviation Analyst’!

He sure seems friendly with Qatar Airways and their afliates.

Noshow

Re: Alex Macheras - A Qatar Airways Stealth Marketer?

Wed May 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Isn't he from London? I don't think he is with QR.

PR77W

Wed May 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Before launching Aviation Analysis. He used to right post at The Points Guy (TPG), about new aircraft delivery particularly those from Airbus. I read his articles about Rwandair A330 (2016), Cote d'Ivorie A320 (2017), and Air Mauritius A350 (2017). He was also present on the delivery of PAL A350 last year, Not sure how he got invited? Its either PAL or Airbus. But not sure?

yuomi

Wed May 08, 2019 3:20 pm

There is nothing 'stealthy' about it.

He's a very lightweight aviation commentator, who has put his foot on the occasions he's been asked to commentate on serious issues (Monarch and ANYTHING to do with safety).

He'll take all the freebies and invitations he's offered and post a good looking picture or video on his social media channels. That's literally all he's good for, he's a marketing 'tool'.

(emphasis on the word tool my own)

lesfalls

Wed May 08, 2019 3:26 pm

Have been keeping an eye on him since yesterday. I believe that the real question is how can you consider yourself an aviation analyst at age 19 when he hasn´t studied or doesn´t hold any degree? Not saying that it isn´t possible but having done some research you need to have some background to be able to consider yourself that.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

ITSTours

Wed May 08, 2019 3:54 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Have been keeping an eye on him since yesterday. I believe that the real question is how can you consider yourself an aviation analyst at age 19 when he hasn´t studied or doesn´t hold any degree? Not saying that it isn´t possible but having done some research you need to have some background to be able to consider yourself that.

The degree or formal education does not matter in the era of internet.
I would say the real question would be whether he himself has done enough research; or has a good understanding about 1) aero/fluid dynamics, 2) aircraft maneuvering, 3) finance, 4) statistics, or any professional matter.
If he does not have an original expertise that is what unqualifies him as an analyst. Still might be a reporter or a blogger though.

winginit

Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Who?

If you're not in a position where you can ask airline CEOs questions on earnings calls, you're not a serious aviation analyst.

RRTrent

Wed May 08, 2019 4:10 pm

BAWLGW wrote:
He sure seems friendly with Qatar Airways and their afliates.

Ive been aware of him for quite some time and I believe the Qatar association has a large degree of truth to it. His father is quite high in the QR ranks which has helped in him getting into spotlight. Its no surprise he's Sky News' go to for aviation related topics, who sponsors Sky News again?? ahh yeah QR. Once your on national TV (in the UK at least) it gives the perfect platform to spout bull dung to anyone who'll listen, and several who wont.

JannEejit

Wed May 08, 2019 4:10 pm

I've seen his stuff too and would describe him as an aviation enthusiast who got lucky. Definetly no more an analyst than anyone else who enjoys aviation as a subject and an adept 'i-phone on a stick' style blogger. Sometimes I'm reminded of that lad a few years ago who had pretensions about starting his own airline out of Oxford. Martin something ? He even got Richard Branson involved but then again that may just have been a well timed selfie ?

yowza

Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Watched a segment he did with two other commentators on Aljazeera. It was a horror show. All the power to him for the freebies but...

YOWza

Kindanew

Wed May 08, 2019 7:09 pm

I say fair play to him, I'd love to get paid to write/ talk about planes all day.

lightsaber

Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Kindanew wrote:
I say fair play to him, I'd love to get paid to write/ talk about planes all day.

Ditto

Hobby=job=never really working.

I'm not going to pay him any attention, but I'm not going to write something nasty because I didn't get the job first.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Joelatbsl

Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 pm

I mean, who needs expertise and proven knowledge if there is Twitter ... ;)

GBNWB

Wed May 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Good luck to him. He has created himself a decent job. I take his articles with a pinch of salt, but he has done well for himself. There is no need for the sour grapes that are all over Twitter, just be minded he has minimal technical knowledge.

I met him at in the south Galleries Lounge last year and he was very pleasant. He has exploited a niche very well to his own advantage. Good luck to him.

b747400erf

Thu May 09, 2019 6:21 am

GBNWB wrote:
Good luck to him. He has created himself a decent job. I take his articles with a pinch of salt, but he has done well for himself. There is no need for the sour grapes that are all over Twitter, just be minded he has minimal technical knowledge.

I met him at in the south Galleries Lounge last year and he was very pleasant. He has exploited a niche very well to his own advantage. Good luck to him.

He goes on television as an expert, no formal education, no job experience, and a teenager? And is paid by Qatar under the table? Nobody should be unhappy about it?

FrenchPotatoEye

Thu May 09, 2019 6:49 am

b747400erf wrote:
GBNWB wrote:

He goes on television as an expert, no formal education, no job experience, and a teenager? And is paid by Qatar under the table? Nobody should be unhappy about it?

Agreed.

These media outlets would do well to research his background since he has no technical knowledge at all!

Yet he seems to think he is some sort of go to person/authority to speak on crashes etc.

One look at his LinkedIn profile is enough to set alarm bells ringing!!

N983AN

Thu May 09, 2019 11:59 am

I asked him about his professional and educational credentials and believe he saw but did not answer.