8herveg
Topic Author

Is Air Transat a scheduled or charter airline? Or both? Could or would they ever merge with WestJet?

Thu May 09, 2019 7:32 am

Is Air Transat a scheduled or charter airline? Or both? If both, which routes are scheduled and which are charter? Do they use the same aircraft for both?

How to most Europeans book Air Transat flights? Directly/online or with a package? I can't imagine many Europeans know of TS, compared to the likes of AC, AA, DL, UA etc. I only know about them as I have an interest in aviation.

Could or would they ever merge with WestJet? Seems like having TS, AC and WS seems rather a lot of long-haul airlines for a relatively sparsely populated country. Would TS and WS be able to compete more successfully against AC if they merged? Would there be any benefit?

Anyone know the market share TS have in Canada?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Thibault973

Re: Is Air Transat a scheduled or charter airline? Or both? Could or would they ever merge with WestJet?

Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 am

8herveg wrote:
Is Air Transat a scheduled or charter airline? Or both? If both, which routes are scheduled and which are charter? Do they use the same aircraft for both?

How to most Europeans book Air Transat flights? Directly/online or with a package? I can't imagine many Europeans know of TS, compared to the likes of AC, AA, DL, UA etc. I only know about them as I have an interest in aviation.

Could or would they ever merge with WestJet? Seems like having TS, AC and WS seems rather a lot of long-haul airlines for a relatively sparsely populated country. Would TS and WS be able to compete more successfully against AC if they merged? Would there be any benefit?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

What I can tell you is that Air Transat is pretty well known here in France since they flew pretty much everywhere to Montreal (Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Nice, Bordeaux, Nantes and Mulhouse) far before Air Canada came into the picture and were always the cheapest option. At one point they had 3 daily flights CDG-YUL in the summer.

8herveg
Topic Author

Re: Is Air Transat a scheduled or charter airline? Or both? Could or would they ever merge with WestJet?

Thu May 09, 2019 8:32 am

Thibault973 wrote:
8herveg wrote:

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

What I can tell you is that Air Transat is pretty well known here in France since they flew pretty much everywhere to Montreal (Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Nice, Bordeaux, Nantes and Mulhouse) far before Air Canada came into the picture and were always the cheapest option. At one point they had 3 daily flights CDG-YUL in the summer.

Wow, didn't know that. But makes sense they're known in France given the ties with Canada. But in the UK, Air Transat isn't a 'well known' airline.

SpaceshipDC10

Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 am

8herveg wrote:
Is Air Transat a scheduled or charter airline? Or both? If both, which routes are scheduled and which are charter?

Air Transat is the airline part of Transat A.T. tour operator. I guess at first TS was there to haul passengers that had bought holiday packages, however over the years the airline has evolved. Now you can use it just to get from A to B, at least on their year-round services to Paris, London, Barcelona, Porto, Glasgow & Manchester.

And regarding the number of long-haul airlines in Canada, maybe you don't know it but 20 years, along with Air Canada and Canadian Airlines (scheduled airlines) you'd find Air Transat, as well as Canada 3000 and Royal on the charter side. 30 years ago, Air Canada and recently created Canadian Airlines, along with Wardair (attempting unsuccessfully to morph from a charter to a scheduled airline, as well as Odyssey, Worldways, Canada 3000 & Air Transat as charter airlines.
Earlier this week, or was it last week already, it was announced that Transat A.T. along with TS, might be sold. However it's not publicly known to whom yet.

classicjets

Thu May 09, 2019 10:56 am

Transat is doing a bit of advertising on bus stops in London lately.

ryan78

Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm

8herveg wrote:

I would say Transat is both a scheduled and charter. For all their European flights they are definitely scheduled, they also offer packages but many people book the flight only and find their own way around Europe. In the Canadian winters they cater more towards the charter side, flying people down to the Caribbean on all-inclusive packages. The nice thing however is that every single one of their flights is bookable online as air only, even to Cuba where most will only sell the all-inclusive packages i.e. Sunwing. Their fleet rotates around based on seasonal demand.

8herveg wrote:

Surprisingly a lot of Europeans know about Transat, they have been flying to Europe for over 30 years now. The point of sale isn't as skewed as you would think, especially out West in Vancouver & Calgary. The mountains draw a lot of European tourists over the summer months. I don't have exact figures on the point of sale but Transat definitely has a healthy mix going back and forth each summer. If I'm not mistaken Transat owns and operates a tour operator in Canada, I'm not sure what its called but Europeans can book packages as well as air only, it all depends on the traveler.

8herveg wrote:

Transat has annouced the entire company is for sale right now however I don't think Westjet is looking into it. They recently acquired their 787's and are starting to beef up their long-haul network and they've spent a lot of capital to do so. Not to mention that if they were to buy out Transat and "merge" they would have to assume the operations of the entire group Transat. All of the tour operators, hotel chains, the airline etc. Westjet is not a tour operator, they are an airline. To add to that Westjet & Transat also have totally different fleets, Westjet all Boeing and Transat soon to be all Airbus. We will see in the coming months what comes of Group Transat if they are bought out.

8herveg wrote:
Anyone know the market share TS have in Canada? Any info appreciated.
Thanks

Currently Air Transat owns 20% of the Europe/Canada capacity share, they are the second largest player in the market behind Air Canada's 43%. Westjet is mere 6%. For down south Transat currently has 22% market share, third largest to Sunwing's 27% and Air Canada's 24%.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-tr ... -1.5118046

Dominion301

Thu May 09, 2019 12:56 pm

I said this in the 'Transat is for sale' thread, but culturally WestJet and Transat are on completely different planets. WestJet are not French enough to have any interest in Transat...let alone for any other reason.

WestJet after almost 20 years of serving Eastern Canada, either a) still can't figure out how to be much of a presence in any market with a significant Francophone population or b) just couldn't be bothered with trying.

They remain a very distant #2 to AC (could even argue #3 behind Porter...at least in terms of brand awareness) in YQM, YUL, YOW and YQB and have pulled out of YSB twice and have never even attempted YTS. In other words, any market with a large francophone population, WestJet struggles to even offer French, let alone be in a position to takeover a francophone airline.

You know you're incredibly weak, insignificant and not taken seriously by business travellers (in your quest in becoming a network carrier) when a) you offer more capacity out of Kelowna than you do out of Montreal AND Ottawa, b) you throw in the towel on the likes of YUL-FLL or YOW-FLL, where on the former AC can somehow fill multiple daily 767s in the peak season and on the latter fill a daily A320 and c) apart from YYC, don't even offer service on the primary non-YYZ transcons year-round.

ExMilitaryEng

Thu May 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
I said this in the 'Transat is for sale' thread, but culturally WestJet and Transat are on completely different planets.
WestJet after almost 20 years of serving Eastern Canada, either a) still can't figure out how to be much of a presence in any market with a significant Francophone population or b) just couldn't be bothered with trying.

You know you're incredibly weak and insignificant when a) you offer more capacity out of Kelowna than you do out of Montreal AND Ottawa, b) you throw in the towel on the likes of YUL-FLL or YOW-FLL, where on the former AC can somehow fill multiple daily 767s in the peak season and on the latter fill a daily A320 and c) apart from YYC, don't even offer service on the primary non-YYZ transcons year-round.
:checkmark:

Can't agree more with you.

If WestJet still end up buying Transat AT; can they leave it as a separated entity? (and not be forced to merge the pilot seniority list)

This way they could coordinate flights schedules somewhat (where it makes sense) and code-share each other flights etc. Transat could then be WestJet's ideal tool/feeder to deal with the Francophone market. And as bonus, add a bunch of new winter sun destinations and more importantly obtain a considerable foothold in the transatlantic market.

FWIW, WestJet used to be quite familiar with Transat's operations as they were providing them lift for a few thinner sun destinations (up to about 10 years ago if I remember).

cirrusdragoon

Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am

Dominion301 wrote:
I said this in the 'Transat is for sale' thread, but culturally WestJet and Transat are on completely different planets. WestJet are not French enough to have any interest in Transat...let alone for any other reason.

They remain a very distant #2 to AC (could even argue #3 behind Porter...at least in terms of brand awareness) in YQM, YUL, YOW and YQB and have pulled out of YSB twice and have never even attempted YTS. In other words, any market with a large francophone population, WestJet struggles to even offer French, let alone be in a position to takeover a francophone airline.

You know you're incredibly weak, insignificant and not taken seriously by business travellers (in your quest in becoming a network carrier) when a) you offer more capacity out of Kelowna than you do out of Montreal AND Ottawa, b) you throw in the towel on the likes of YUL-FLL or YOW-FLL, where on the former AC can somehow fill multiple daily 767s in the peak season and on the latter fill a daily A320 and c) apart from YYC, don't even offer service on the primary non-YYZ transcons year-round.

Or perhaps those who live in the quebec market think they are by far the most important business people in canada, that there are not other markets in canada? How very central canada minded.

markets shift all the time. Their strategy currently is geared towards refining , focusing and strengthening their yyc and yyz hubs first and foremost , as well as , reducing excess capacity in their network and funnelling equipment to the right route at the right locale.

jamsco99

Fri May 10, 2019 10:31 am

Transat sell through Canadian affair which they own. They're often advertised in London newspapers both as transat and Canadian affair
Last edited by jamsco99 on Fri May 10, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamsco99

Fri May 10, 2019 10:35 am

Also on a side note. Oxford circus tube station was covered In full wall and ceiling posters for westjet

Thenoflyzone

Fri May 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Look up the definition of a scheduled flight and a charter flight.

TS posts it's flight timetable months in advance. You can purchase tickets directly from their website for ALL their flights to Europe/South. You can also purchase the domestic legs of their flights.

TS is a scheduled carrier.

The fact their parent company sells tour packages is irrelevant. AC vacations does the same things on AC, and yet no one calls AC flights charter flights!
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

usxguy

Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

Because the Quebecois view WestJet as "that Alberta airline"... "cowboys", etc.
xx

Busguy55

Fri May 10, 2019 9:20 pm

We have used Transat at least 5 times for UK trips. Other than having to stay at Gatwick the night before departure everything was great. On time flights, great service, friendly staff plus their check in counter is one floor below the main check in pandemonium at Gatwick South. I have seen their posters all over the UK so I think they are very well known also.
They are also the only airline I’ve ever been on that offered us ice cream cones mid flight on our return to Vancouver! We will continue to use them and recommend them.

Salomon

Fri May 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Busguy55 wrote:
We have used Transat at least 5 times for UK trips. Other than having to stay at Gatwick the night before departure everything was great. On time flights, great service, friendly staff plus their check in counter is one floor below the main check in pandemonium at Gatwick South. I have seen their posters all over the UK so I think they are very well known also.
They are also the only airline I’ve ever been on that offered us ice cream cones mid flight on our return to Vancouver! We will continue to use them and recommend them.

They now operate out of north terminal in LGW. The change was made when they joined world by easyjet.
Takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory.

SpaceshipDC10

Fri May 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
TS posts it's flight timetable months in advance. You can purchase tickets directly from their website for ALL their flights to Europe/South. You can also purchase the domestic legs of their flights.

TS is a scheduled carrier.

Good. Now I know it.