Veigar
Topic Author

What is the general opinion on aviation channels like DJ's Aviation?

Sat May 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Let me begin by saying I do not watch aviation news based videos when this website exists.

The only aviation videos I really like are done by Mustard and Wendover.

But as for the news reporting channels, how accurate / credible are they? I recall the aforementioned channel talking about how apparently QF chose the A350 as the Project Sunrise aircraft.

Thanks

Themotionman

Re: What is the general opinion on aviation channels like DJ's Aviation?

Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I recommend Wendover Productions.

I get my daily dose of Fake News from this site.

Veigar
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2019 11:27 pm

Themotionman wrote:
I recommend Wendover Productions.

I get my daily dose of Fake News from this site.

Me too! Wendover's content is great!

Fuling

Sun May 12, 2019 1:19 pm

DJ's Aviation is simply a collection of comments from airliners.net or wikipedia pages put into script form. I would recommend Wendover also.

CarlosSi

Sun May 12, 2019 1:26 pm

I used to watch them more often, but I feel like I already know most of what I see on them.

Wendover is great, but Sam doesn’t post videos as often, and not always about planes.

Veigar
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Fuling wrote:
DJ's Aviation is simply a collection of comments from airliners.net or wikipedia pages put into script form. I would recommend Wendover also.

That is what I've heard based on people. I've also heard him state that a.net is just toxic and old people insulting everyone

Anyway, on the other hand, other channels are enjoy are well put together spotting dedicated ones!

EChid

Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 pm

As far as I can tell, DJ's Aviation gathers comments and rumours and presents it in a clickbaity format that provides no additional information to what you can already read here. It's the clickbait stuff that gets me, can't deal with it, so I actively block Google's algorithm from bringing his content up in my feed. If there was actual journalism going on, sure, but there isn't.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

KentB27

Mon May 13, 2019 1:32 am

I'm honestly surprised that DJ's Aviation is as popular as it is. I find his content to be boring and redundant. As other people have said, he just takes comments, rumors, and aviation news and rehashes it into his own words. DJ seems like a nice enough guy, I'm just not a fan of his content. He has a pretty decent sized viewer base though so more power to him.

While not aviation news focused, I far prefer YouTube channels that cover informative and technical topics about aviation like Mustard, Wendover Productions, and Skyships Eng

atomicstar

Mon May 13, 2019 3:47 am

I watch DJ’s aviation mostly to learn about current financial problems and news in the aviation industry. But most other content are compiled paraphrased news articles, and I often don’t believe in rumors.

I like watching videos about technical operations such as channels Wendover, Mustard, Real Engineering, and Captain Joe.

Veigar
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2019 5:30 am

KentB27 wrote:
I'm honestly surprised that DJ's Aviation is as popular as it is. I find his content to be boring and redundant. As other people have said, he just takes comments, rumors, and aviation news and rehashes it into his own words. DJ seems like a nice enough guy, I'm just not a fan of his content. He has a pretty decent sized viewer base though so more power to him.

While not aviation news focused, I far prefer YouTube channels that cover informative and technical topics about aviation like Mustard, Wendover Productions, and Skyships Eng

Yep, Skyships is another one I really like! Do you have any trip reporters you like?

Runway28L

Mon May 13, 2019 7:22 am

I have to agree with many of the posters here regarding Wendover, Mustard, and Real Engineering. The only downside is that they don't post very often. I'm also a huge fan of the pilot channels like Mentour Pilot, Captain Joe, or dutchpilotgirl.

Not really "aviation news" per se, but I'm a huge fan of PeninsulaSrsVideos on YouTube. The collection of videos on there are an absolute goldmine. It's mostly presentations given by pilots and designers of various military aircraft such as the B-2/SR-71/U-2/F-14/XB-70 talking about the history, design, and what it was like flying the aircraft. All of the details, facts, and stories told in those videos are so fascinating!
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

Veigar
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Runway28L wrote:
I have to agree with many of the posters here regarding Wendover, Mustard, and Real Engineering. The only downside is that they don't post very often. I'm also a huge fan of the pilot channels like Mentour Pilot, Captain Joe, or dutchpilotgirl.

Not really "aviation news" per se, but I'm a huge fan of PeninsulaSrsVideos on YouTube. The collection of videos on there are an absolute goldmine. It's mostly presentations given by pilots and designers of various military aircraft such as the B-2/SR-71/U-2/F-14/XB-70 talking about the history, design, and what it was like flying the aircraft. All of the details, facts, and stories told in those videos are so fascinating!

Ah yes! Mentour Pilot is someone I watch a lot, he's very good at throwing some water on the MAX fire. Very informative stuff from him in every video!

KentB27

Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Veigar wrote:
KentB27 wrote:

Yep, Skyships is another one I really like! Do you have any trip reporters you like?

Amandeuce (now InflightXperience), Jeb Brooks, Noel Philips: Inflight Video, and Nonstop Dan are all great trip reporting channels. There's probably a couple more that I'm forgetting but that's off the top of my head.

alan3

Wed May 15, 2019 9:54 pm

I also recommend Wendover, love his videos, so educational.

Podcasts are also worth a listen. I used to listen to the Airline Weekly Lounge podcast but it seems to be MIA (hasn't aired since January). So now I listen to Airline Business Podcast (by the Flightglobal magazine folks). These are more about business and profit side of things.

And with regards to video flight reviews, sorry but I just can't with Sam Chui. I have some others I would much more recommend like Dennis Bunnik and Jeb Brooks and Simply Aviation.

Veigar
Topic Author

Fri May 17, 2019 10:52 am

Some great suggestions here guys, thanks!