Page 1 of 1

Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:20 am
by kitplane01
Luckily I'm a billionaire. And I like aviation, so I figured I'd start my own aviation museum. On my ranch I have space for ten planes. I'm pretty sure I can get anything that exists, so go wild.

What I have planned so far ..

A 707 in Pan Am colors
A 747-100 in TWA colors.
A Concorde in British Airways colors
A DC-3 in military drab
A Sanders-Row Princess flying boat in BOAC colors

Anyone one to help my pick more planes?

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:23 am
by Airstud
I require that the museum feature BAC 1-11, BAe 146, and Dornier 228.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:26 am
by kitplane01
Airstud wrote:
I require that the museum feature BAC 1-11, BAe 146, and Dornier 228.


Why? How are those three of the top ten most interesting airliners ever made? I wouldn't have picked them for the 10 ten most interesting British planes ever made (though the Bae-146 is kind of a unique configuration for it's size). And why the Do-228? That's kind of boring (and not British, I'm aware)

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:21 am
by LH748
You definitely need some Soviet beauties:
An IL62, IL86, TU154 and a Yak40 would be a nice addition.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:39 am
by atomicstar
Here’s some cool planes:

  • A replica Boeing Model 1
  • Definitely a Concorde
  • B-52
  • B-2 Spirit stealth bomber
  • Definitely a DC-3
  • Maybe a 737-200
  • BAE 146
  • DC-8
  • Convair 880

The other thing I am also thinking about whether one that’s for sale exists (whether it is the full airplane, an airplane without engines, or just a fuselage).

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:43 am
by TheEuphorian
maybe a Fokker 28?

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:07 am
by IPFreely
kitplane01 wrote:
On my ranch I have space for ten planes.


Only ten? Doesn't sound like much of a ranch. More like a big yard.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 am
by kitplane01
atomicstar wrote:
Here’s some cool planes:

  • A replica Boeing Model 1
  • Definitely a Concorde
  • B-52
  • B-2 Spirit stealth bomber
  • Definitely a DC-3
  • Maybe a 737-200
  • BAE 146
  • DC-8
  • Convair 880

The other thing I am also thinking about whether one that’s for sale exists (whether it is the full airplane, an airplane without engines, or just a fuselage).


I love the idea of the Convair 880. With enough money, can I get one? Do any exist?

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 am
by TheFlyingDisk
What about a DC-10? It's significance? Probably as the deadliest widebody jet aircraft in history.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:29 pm
by TheEuphorian
Or, the A340-500 seems better, and there's a bunch of them parked in LDE and DMK.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:20 pm
by atomicstar
kitplane01 wrote:
I love the idea of the Convair 880. With enough money, can I get one? Do any exist?


While searching on Google, I found this http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions ... index.html

It was originally owned by Delta, and later Elvis Presley purchased it to use as his private jet.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
What about a DC-10? It's significance? Probably as the deadliest widebody jet aircraft in history.


Found a DC-10F for sale. There’s probably more out there for sale, if you look at boneyard auctions. http://www.aircraftbargains.com/ad/ad6705.asp

By searching on Airfleets, this plane has been in service originally a passenger plane, and sold to different airlines and eventually a freighter, and now stored. But I’m not sure if a DC-10 passenger jet that’s been stored for so many years still exists.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:03 am
by kitplane01
Here is my current list:

A 707 in Pan Am colors
A 747-100 in TWA colors.
A Concorde in British Airways colors
A DC-3 in military drab
A Sanders-Row Princess flying boat in BOAC colors
A DC-10F in Fed-EX colors
A Convair 880 painted like Elvis
A Bae-146 painted like ???
An IL-62 painted by Aeroflot

I need one more? Maybe something early, like a Comet or a DC-4 or a Boeing Model 1, or a ....

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 am
by jonnyclam123
Wright Flyer

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 am
by ZKNCI
atomicstar wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:
I love the idea of the Convair 880. With enough money, can I get one? Do any exist?


While searching on Google, I found this http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions ... index.html

It was originally owned by Delta, and later Elvis Presley purchased it to use as his private jet.

Otherwise there's the TWA one at Mojave..

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:21 pm
by VSMUT
kitplane01 wrote:
Luckily I'm a billionaire. And I like aviation, so I figured I'd start my own aviation museum. On my ranch I have space for ten planes. I'm pretty sure I can get anything that exists, so go wild.

What I have planned so far ..

A 707 in Pan Am colors
A 747-100 in TWA colors.
A Concorde in British Airways colors
A DC-3 in military drab
A Sanders-Row Princess flying boat in BOAC colors

Anyone one to help my pick more planes?


You need a Cessna 172.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:57 pm
by Seabear
A Space Shuttle Orbiter.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:27 pm
by acjbbj
Md-11 and A340-300 and A340-600

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 pm
by atomicstar
kitplane01 wrote:
Here is my current list:

A 707 in Pan Am colors
A 747-100 in TWA colors.
A Concorde in British Airways colors
A DC-3 in military drab
A Sanders-Row Princess flying boat in BOAC colors
A DC-10F in Fed-EX colors
A Convair 880 painted like Elvis
A Bae-146 painted like ???
An IL-62 painted by Aeroflot

I need one more? Maybe something early, like a Comet or a DC-4 or a Boeing Model 1, or a ....


It will be really cool to get something historical such as a Comet, but I wonder if there are any that exist that are for sale and not already at a museum or scrapped. Because only a few Boeing Model 1 were built (it was supposed to be a prototype), I think you can probably build a replica with wood for memorabilia.

Since FedEx is retiring their DC-10s in the next couple years, you might have good luck getting one. Hopefully, they don’t strip the paint and leave the FedEx logo on it.

As for some of the other passenger planes, I hope you can also find one that has the interior remaining, as it is always a cool thing at museums to be able to go inside.

ZKNCI wrote:
atomicstar wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:
I love the idea of the Convair 880. With enough money, can I get one? Do any exist?


While searching on Google, I found this http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions ... index.html

It was originally owned by Delta, and later Elvis Presley purchased it to use as his private jet.

Otherwise there's the TWA one at Mojave..


That’s cool. I wonder how much it is for sale, probably best if it has the interior remaining as well.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:52 pm
by n729pa
Buy John Travolta's Qantas 707 and one of the A380s being parted out and turn it into a hotel for your visitors...

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:23 am
by Flyingdevil737
n729pa wrote:
Buy John Travolta's Qantas 707 and one of the A380s being parted out and turn it into a hotel for your visitors...


Travolta’s 707 is already headed to the HARS museum in Sydney, by the way....

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:00 am
by flipdewaf
Vulcan.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:26 am
by Devilfish
atomicstar wrote:
The other thing I am also thinking about whether one that’s for sale exists (whether it is the full airplane, an airplane without engines, or just a fuselage).

If you have ~$12M to spare, then a very famous pair is available..... :bigthumbsup: .....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ut-458526/


Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:35 am
by atomicstar
Devilfish wrote:
atomicstar wrote:
The other thing I am also thinking about whether one that’s for sale exists (whether it is the full airplane, an airplane without engines, or just a fuselage).

If you have ~$12M to spare, then a very famous pair is available..... :bigthumbsup: .....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ut-458526/



I was also hoping that there is a 747-100 or 747-200 for sale, but they are rare and there’s only a few left in use for commercial service. But look in boneyard.

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 pm
by Aurantiaco
Pretty cool concepts, but a Concorde is just a bit absurd. The remaining Concordes are in museums and I don’t think those said museums would give up that aircraft so easily.