NWADTWE16
Topic Author

5K operating for Norwegian, anyone have experience?

Sun May 19, 2019 12:11 am

Reaching out to the group to see if anyone has been in the position of having their Norwegian (DI) flight swapped for a Hi-Fly (5K) , in this case A340-300?

Clearly, not to happy about this, as the Dreamliner and Norwegian service were the reason this was booked over VS, well that and the price but as I have read and you tubed these planes, I have come to find there are 8 in the Hi-Fly fleet. They mostly came from Emirates and sadly have the same interior from I think 2004-2007? There is IFE but its extremely limited, like 4 movies and 1 show. The others are from SQ and I cant find anything about them.

Would love to hear anyone's experience on these birds and perhaps comparison to what was expected on DI/DY.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

debonair

Re: 5K operating for Norwegian, anyone have experience?

Sun May 19, 2019 8:55 am

Well, many av geeks would be happy to fly the A340-300 before it will vanish from the skies...

In the past DI used HiFly MALTA (5M and not 5K!) 9H-SUN A340-300 (ex AOM/AiLib/SrLankan) for their services
(and not EK/SQ): https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9h-sun

For sure, the 2-4-2 seating is much more comfortable than DI's 3-3-3 B787 seating.

NWADTWE16
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 3:45 pm

I should've expected a response like that. Listen mate, I wouldn't have taken the time to post just to get told to be happy about the plane. Yes the A340 is vanishing, but been on it more times than I can count so im good. The 2-4-2 seating is better yes, possibly, but not if the interior is 15+ years old and worn to its threads.

and your comment about Hi-Fly Malta would be great except it's definitely not 5M, so back to square one, anyone actually flown the 5K A340-300 chime in please, thank you.

Here is the Sabre entry for Norwegian's flight that day (on top of them sending an email stating operating by Hi-Fly 5K)

5DI/5K 7054 D0 C0 I0*MCOLGW 555P 710A‡1 343 HO/G 0 MF DC /E
E9 S9 A9 K9 Y9 R9 B8 U7 W5 Z3 M1

debonair

Sun May 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Norwegian is selling ALL flights on the 5K code - but as you could see on flightradar, the flight itself is operating on HiFly Malta.

And if you compare the seatmap on Norwegian with HiFly seatmaps - none will match. But it will match wich HiFly MALTA 9H-SUN (4 rows of BusinessClass):
https://www.hifly.aero/fleet/a340/9h-sun/

So first do your homework and stop assaulting other forum members which know better.

B747forever

Sun May 19, 2019 10:55 pm

Nothing like asking for help and then being rude.

Dude, it is just a 7-8 hour flight not a life changing event, and especially in Y there isn’t a huge difference between operators. Either suck it up or ask for a refund and book new tickets.
Work Hard, Fly Right

PlymSpotter

Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 am

If you are remotely normal size, or above, you will prefer the HiFly A340. You probably won't understand why now, or even after the flight, but next time you DO get on a DY 787 you will instantly wish you were back onboard the 343. I will be flying DY to Florida later this year, but only because I can avoid the 3-3-3 seating on the 787.

My advice: buy a book, bring a tablet, or look out the window,
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

NWADTWE16
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2019 5:10 am

Plym spotter, the only one who could put arrogance aside and actually answer the question, Btw, this isn't for me, its for a family member. I will be taking the Virgin 747 in the bubble/Premium Econ, so I am good, I just felt bad for him as he was looking forward to the flight and insight, as hard as it was to pull from this crowd of tools, was all I was seeking.

Most of you really need anger management or a stress ball, the strip club something.

Thanks again to the last poster for actually sharing info.

Fuling

Sat May 25, 2019 9:41 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
Plym spotter, the only one who could put arrogance aside and actually answer the question, Btw, this isn't for me, its for a family member. I will be taking the Virgin 747 in the bubble/Premium Econ, so I am good, I just felt bad for him as he was looking forward to the flight and insight, as hard as it was to pull from this crowd of tools, was all I was seeking.

Most of you really need anger management or a stress ball, the strip club something.

Thanks again to the last poster for actually sharing info.

Actually we were just correcting your information. You were the one who couldn't handle the truth and being wrong.

Osiris

Sun May 26, 2019 11:37 am

I can sympathise with the OP's frustration a bit.

I've complained before about wanting to avoid the 747 and all I get is a load of, "Oh but it's the Queen of the skies!", "greatest machine everrrr!!!" fanboy nonsense. Without them realising that having lived in London for many years, pretty much every time I walk to the gate there's a BA or VS 744 waiting for me, so I've asked the question for a specific reason, not to be told how I should feel.