compensateme
Topic Author

When Will DL Return to Fukuoka?

Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 pm

From 1998 until April 1999, Delta served Fukuoka from its hub in Portland, OR.

DL returned to Fukuoka in 2011, serving HNL with Boeing 767-300ER service. Unfortunately, the route was cancelled earlier this year.

Will DL return to Fukuoka? It seems like a perfect 787-8 route operated from SEA!
We don’t care what your next flight is.

MIflyer12

Re: When Will DL Return to Fukuoka?

Mon May 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Why do you presume DL will return at all? Chart demand from major Japan airports to Hawaii (it's not a growth market), and avg coach fares over ten years. Look at what HA satisfies, and what JL can do with codeshares with HA.

jplatts

Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 pm

While I agree that DL is unlikely to bring back HNL-FUK nonstop service, DL adding SEA-FUK or LAX-FUK nonstop service is a possibility as both SEA and LAX are hubs and transpacific gateways for DL.

eal

Mon May 20, 2019 11:58 pm

I had no idea DL served FUK from PDX in the 90's, I know that DL had the Pacific hub at the time but FUK is a really "out there" destination. I don't think there's ever been another airline to served mainline US-FUK; am I wrong? What is the market even like? The Japan market is so Tokyo centric (rather annoyingly) that I'm surprised this route even ever existed, especially from PDX, even with the Pacific hub.

zeke

Mon May 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Yeah I agree, the A350 would not make it non stop, they could use a 767-300ER instead.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Karlsands

Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 am

When they choose to. Why would we know

Karlsands

Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 am

zeke wrote:
Yeah I agree, the A350 would not make it non stop, they could use a 767-300ER instead.

Huh

SCFlyer

Tue May 21, 2019 12:05 am

Whats with all the "Why doesn't X Airlines fly to Y" or "Why did Z pull out of X" threads of late?

RyanairGuru

Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 am

jplatts wrote:
While I agree that DL is unlikely to bring back HNL-FUK nonstop service, DL adding SEA-FUK or LAX-FUK nonstop service is a possibility as both SEA and LAX are hubs and transpacific gateways for DL.

Unless there is some unique corporate connection between Seattle and Fukuoka (and if there was then the route would probably be already served) I really don't think you can expect to see a destination served that isn't flown by UA from SFO. Between the O&D strength of San Francisco and the size of the UA hub there, they are best placed to make 'secondary' Asia work.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

zakuivcustom

Tue May 21, 2019 12:31 am

Karlsands wrote:
zeke wrote:

Huh

It's a joke. It came from zeke, and fairly often he's kind of the "authoritative answer to A350 range".

As for the OP's question - HNL is about the only place that make some sense to/from FUK. It's not a small city/metro area, but international traffic in general is almost 100% leisure anyway (Inbound tourist is dominated by South Korean, since it's so close to South Korea. I mean, Fukuoka is closer to Seoul than it's to Tokyo). AY can somewhat make FUK work b/c they have their name is well known enough in Japan, but otherwise, there's a reason why you don't see any other European carrier going there, either (KLM tried, and failed, in the FUK market).

klm617

Tue May 21, 2019 12:42 am

I'm in stitches over here.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

lavalampluva

Tue May 21, 2019 2:25 am

klm617 wrote:

Of course you are.

:roll:
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

bhxalex

Tue May 21, 2019 3:33 am

The same time TWA resume Heathrow operations...

In all seriousness though, the chances of DL returning are slim to none. Same goes for any carrier from mainland US. Someone might add HNL-FUK down the line but non stop demand from the mainland isn't there. Any DL demand can be channelled through their partner KE at ICN, which is in close proximity. Likewise UA & AA have partners in TYO to take care of FUK.

zeke

Tue May 21, 2019 3:51 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Whats with all the "Why doesn't X Airlines fly to Y" or "Why did Z pull out of X" threads of late?

It’s silly, there is no need for the hkg thread or this one. This topic is discussed at death.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

BoeingGuy

Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 am

lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Of course you are.

:roll:

I think he means that part about KLM failing in the FUK market. I kind of found it amusing too. Not sure they guy who wrote it intended it to be funny, but it was.

zakuivcustom

Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 am

bhxalex wrote:
The same time TWA resume Heathrow operations...

In all seriousness though, the chances of DL returning are slim to none. Same goes for any carrier from mainland US. Someone might add HNL-FUK down the line but non stop demand from the mainland isn't there. Any DL demand can be channelled through their partner KE at ICN, which is in close proximity. Likewise UA & AA have partners in TYO to take care of FUK.

I guess you missed this...

https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/r ... lu-service

zeke wrote:
It’s silly, there is no need for the hkg thread or this one. This topic is discussed at death.

At least Fukuoka is new, unlike [email protected] which had been discussed ad nauseum with the same answer every single time :). (Oh...did I mention that the latest thread degenerate into a giant argument about whether DL/UA/AA is a global carrier?)

Doesn't matter though, we all know the truth to any DL related thread is that they should not have brought the A359, which can barely fly from DTW to ATL (Which will soon be the only DL route out of DTW according to a certain person), but should have brought 100x 788 and 100x 789. :duck:

Oh...and one last thing, Fukuoka is more packed than HND as-is.

PatrickZ80

Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
As for the OP's question - HNL is about the only place that make some sense to/from FUK. It's not a small city/metro area, but international traffic in general is almost 100% leisure anyway (Inbound tourist is dominated by South Korean, since it's so close to South Korea. I mean, Fukuoka is closer to Seoul than it's to Tokyo).

And that might be exactly the reason they don't serve it anymore. At least, not on their own metal.

Don't forget that back in the 90's Delta was on it's own. Every destination served, they had to serve on their own metal. Today we live in a different world, a world of airline partnerships. And Delta happens to have found a partner in Korean Air. Korean Air serves Fukuoka from Seoul, which is sufficient for Delta. Any passenger from the USA heading for Fukuoka can be booked on a Delta flight to Seoul from where Korean Air can forward this passenger to Fukuoka. That's the way the market works nowadays.

zakuivcustom

Tue May 21, 2019 9:43 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Don't forget that back in the 90's Delta was on it's own. Every destination served, they had to serve on their own metal. Today we live in a different world, a world of airline partnerships. And Delta happens to have found a partner in Korean Air. Korean Air serves Fukuoka from Seoul, which is sufficient for Delta. Any passenger from the USA heading for Fukuoka can be booked on a Delta flight to Seoul from where Korean Air can forward this passenger to Fukuoka. That's the way the market works nowadays.

True...of course, in reality most people in Fukuoka just connect through HND or NRT anyway. It's one of the reason why DL wants to have at least some partner at Tokyo anyway (i.e. Skymark).

stl07

Tue May 21, 2019 11:42 pm

This whole thread was a troll, look at the OP
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"