Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rckstr316
Topic Author

Delayed and taken advantage of..?

Tue May 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Hey a.netters, long time lurker first post. Having an issue in AGS this morning and have a question for you all. Should I be suspicious of the fact that my 530a departure from AGS-CLT scheduled on a CRJ7 (downgraded to a CRJ2) has been cancelled due to mx? I fully understand cancellations and they do happen but this one was strange. At 0525, the gate agent came over the pa to ask for volunteers as the aircraft was overbooked by 17 :(. About 5 minutes later, after no volunteers came forward for the $350 voucher, the gate agent came back on stating the flight was cancelled due to an engine not starting. The gate agents immediately started the process of giving people re routes by taking them by taxi to CLT, CAE and ATL. At 0819, the ticket counter says that the original a/c is fixed and that we should be leaving shortly. Here at 907 finally onboard with only about 20 pax, far from the initial situation

On the face of this it sounds like a plausible situation where mx and safety are paramount. However my question is would a savvy operation center understand that a delay is much cheaper than involuntarily denying 17, and intentionally delay a full aircraft to save the 4x ticket cost of the involuntary?

MO11

Re: Delayed and taken advantage of..?

Tue May 21, 2019 2:58 pm

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.....

maps4ltd

Tue May 21, 2019 3:04 pm

rckstr316 wrote:
Hey a.netters, long time lurker first post. Having an issue in AGS this morning and have a question for you all. Should I be suspicious of the fact that my 530a departure from AGS-CLT scheduled on a CRJ7 (downgraded to a CRJ2) has been cancelled due to mx? I fully understand cancellations and they do happen but this one was strange. At 0525, the gate agent came over the pa to ask for volunteers as the aircraft was overbooked by 17 :(. About 5 minutes later, after no volunteers came forward for the $350 voucher, the gate agent came back on stating the flight was cancelled due to an engine not starting. The gate agents immediately started the process of giving people re routes by taking them by taxi to CLT, CAE and ATL. At 0819, the ticket counter says that the original a/c is fixed and that we should be leaving shortly. Here at 907 finally onboard with only about 20 pax, far from the initial situation

On the face of this it sounds like a plausible situation where mx and safety are paramount. However my question is would a savvy operation center understand that a delay is much cheaper than involuntarily denying 17, and intentionally delay a full aircraft to save the 4x ticket cost of the involuntary?

That's why I take Delta out of AGS...
Next flights:
AA1003 STL-ORD Airbus A319 November 25
AA3170 ORD-ASE Bombardier CRJ-700 November 25
AA3247 ASE-ORD Bombardier CRJ-700 November 29
AA1960 ORD-STL Airbus A319 November 29

sprxUSA

Tue May 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Bet those taxi rates were very steep.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

UpNAWAy

Tue May 21, 2019 3:40 pm

No. Delays still cost way more than a bunch of DBA's. Not to mention the OPS center has way to much going on to micro manage any one particular flight.

LAXBUR

Tue May 21, 2019 3:46 pm

I suppose it is possible, but having worked for an airline previously and also experienced overbookings as a passenger caused by down-gauging I’d find that level of coordination surprising. I.E. someone at any level crunching numbers during a delay to figure out whether taxiing/rebooking up to 50 is more cost effective.

MIflyer12

Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Substitution of a smaller aircraft eliminates the U.S. DOT requirement for IDB compensation. Everyone who flies routinely should know this.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

MO11

Tue May 21, 2019 4:31 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Substitution of a smaller aircraft eliminates the U.S. DOT requirement for IDB compensation. Everyone who flies routinely should know this.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

That's true...but instead it tried to DB 17 people before cancelling the flight. It could have pre-removed 17 people and rescheduled them (as above) and let the flight go on-time.

e38

Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Quoting rckstr316 (thread starter), "the gate agent came back on stating the flight was cancelled due to an engine not starting."

What I find most disturbing about this story is this statement by the gate agent.
At this point in the process of transporting passengers by airplane from point A to point B, an engine would not normally have been started.
It sounds to me like the gate agent was intentionally lying to the passengers or else absolutely clueless concerning how the process of air transportation works with jet aircraft.

e38